Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Powershift posted:

Let's kick this poo poo off right.

Is there a story behind this barn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

PreacherNutshot posted:

Is that the ambulance from "Mother, Jugs, and Speed"?

Cannonball run, surely?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Paul Boz_ posted:

That looks perfect and I would not change a thing. The red and gold go perfectly, the wheels are a nice size, and the suspension doesn't look retarded. Good job.

Agreed.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

I want a gas-turbine hybrid electric car just because it would sound like a loving banshee

The Jaguar C-X75 was going to have a pair of small turbines powering the hybrid system but it's on hold now.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

This is the most common car in the city of Los Angeles. Most of them are beat to hell, but they are everywhere and rust free! I usually count 13-15 each day on my way to and from work.

I ran across these one day this summer:

And these were right across the street:

I've always wondered if you could make a good chumpcar out of one of those since they're midengined.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

The itty bitty 1.4 in the Chevy Cruze cranks out almost the same power as my 2.4L Altima, admittedly with the help of a snail. Except even the automatic, and a pretty drat heavy chassis for a compact car (IIRC, it weighs about 250 lbs more than my Altima, despite being smaller), it felt a lot quicker than it should have. It's not fast, but the rental I had was still fun even with the automatic. I'll admit right now I'd drive the hell out of a MT Cruze or Sonic. I beat the poo poo out of it the entire day I had it - the average MPG display was 32 when I picked it up.. 35 when I dropped it off, despite mashing the gas everywhere. :downsgun:

I spent a week with a manual Cruze 1.4 turbo recently and it was quite fun, although there seemed to be more lag than my Saaburu. Driving in town I still only averaged ~19 mpg.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

InitialDave posted:

No it isn't !

I think 'Touring' refers to the racing series, not the bodystyle. You'll notice the M1 says 'Group 4' and the E30 says 'Group A.'

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Matlock posted:

Time for 25 shots from my visit to the Porsche facilities in Leipzig.

Two GT3s with NFS:MW liveries.

Those aren't GT3s.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Bob NewSCART posted:

Isn't the CLKs retail something ridiculous like a few mill too?

The last one that I remember being advertised was asking $1.5 million but you'd be mad to pay that IMO.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Linedance posted:

counterpoint- sometimes qualifying is the best part of the race weekend...

As an F1 spectator, sure. But as a driver?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Time attack is no different to hillclimb (well, I guess you could argue that it's easier to get back to the start), I really can't understand why anyone questions whether it's a "legitimate" form of racing or some poo poo like that. Lots of competition is done on time vs time rather than wheel to wheel, why is it time attack that gets everyone bent out of shape?

Racers are snobs, we all look down on everyone doing something different. Chump vs Lemons, endurance vs sprint, open wheel vs GT, circuit vs rally, the only time we're happier than actually racing is slagging off everyone else. ;)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cygni posted:

e: also apparently time attack is a sore subject for a lot of you, jesus.

Only some of us. The Biohazard MR2 that was at Road America last weekend was a lot like a Time Attack car; it was also about 10 mph faster in a straight line than anyone else too.

Bucephalus posted:

I get the "race a $500 beater" part, but not the parade of hippie stoner pageantry.

That's why there's Chumpcar.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Crankit posted:

Is that Brighton? Are you named after the seafront railway (or maybe a club near it)?

No, that's Fulham.

If it's a real 73 RS, £300-500k? A recreation would be ~£50k if you could get someone to pay that, and it seems that good 964 RSs are going for as much as £100k now.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 24, 2012

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

You Am I posted:

There are something like 10+ radiators in it, which would bulk up the weight. It isn't a lightweight like the McLaren F1 roadcar was.

Right. The design brief with the F1 was "it has to weigh 1000 kg," the design brief for the Veyron was "it better make 1000 bhp!!"

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
The Veyron isn't holding value terribly well in the second hand market because of the outrageous servicing costs. $30k for new tyres, $50k for new wheels (have to be replaced every 10k miles), $20k for an annual service...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I could see that being the case if you took it up to its full speed, but do you actually have to do that if you just putter around at 30 miles an hour between your recording studio and the Oscars, like most Veyrons?

I imagine the danger is being told "sorry sir, your warranty is no longer valid and we can't say your car is safe anymore because you didn't replace the wheels at 10000 miles like we told you to" if you don't do it. It seems that most of these cars get sold rather than have people worry about that.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think that car is at the auto museum in Balboa Park, right?

Yep.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Hydrogen would start making sense if we had local production using artificial leaves. Use solar energy to electrolyze water, use the hydrogen in fuel cells. 5l of water would provide enough H2 to run your house for the day, another 3l for the car, according to Dan Nocera at MIT.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
You've got to respect the nutterdom behind whoever drove that MX-5 speedster there in December weather.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
No, those cars break down A LOT.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Das Volk posted:

That's very much Laguna Seca .jpg

There's an onsite muffler service to help people comply. Because moving right next to a racetrack that's been there for 50 years then complaining about noise totally makes sense.

#everyracetrackintheUK

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

jamal posted:

I can't tell for sure, but it doesn't look like the main hoop is one continuous bend or that it goes all the way to the floor. Plus there is no diagonal in the hoop, no a-pillar bars, and that door bar isn't really attached to anything else.

And people think we should bring back Group B!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Turbo Charade, you say?
http://www.fusion-motorsport.co.uk/customer-cars/73-yasers-charade-gtti-revisited-245bhp.html

Edit: What do we have here on Ebay?

Cool, an 8-series. What engine is it?

Looking good, V12. Pity they're always autos.

Oh. :stare: :awesome:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1991-BMW-850i-Manual-Blue-/321063047412?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ac0d950f4

That is such a fantastically good bad idea. Needs new wheels though.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I've always wanted something like this. Essentially the car equivalent of a super motard; something handy on the road that can also hold it's own on a gravel or dirt track. Like one of the early WRX's but better and more off-road capable.

Like a Bowler Nemesis?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I don't think I've posted these. Went to the Petersen collection a couple of months ago. Unfortunately you can't take pictures of any of the cars in the basement, which is a shame because there are some really quite neat ones down there.

Who wouldn't want to eat tamales with the pipe-smoking dog? by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Chevrolet Corvette Scaglietti Coupe by evoque, on Flickr

I think this is one of the prettiest GTs of all time, probably the best looking Corvette in history too.

Very old school Indy roadster by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Oldschool IRL car by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

I don't even know. by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Petersen Collection by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

BMW 328 by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

BMW 328 by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Oldsmobile Aerotech by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
We also went to Brooklands last month.

Vintage F1 cars by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Untitled by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Historic racing cars by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Damon Hill's Jordan by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

One of Senna's McLarens by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Napier-Railton by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Scruitineering stickers inside the Napier-Railton by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Lord Ridley was quite emphatic that his leg had not been cut off. by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Nanette by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

I'll put some of the plane ones in the plane thread.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Did this somehow spawn the nissan EXA? Or am I imagining things?

Also this

Is something I've wanted in an actual car, that I would actually own, for years. A sportscar with offroad capability.

Have you heard of a Bowler?

Bowler Nemesis by Ranger90, on Flickr

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

88h88 posted:

Is the plate on this legit?

There's a car that I see round the corner from me in DC a lot that has an NC plate that reads l@l l@l so it's quite possible it's legit.

Porsche Abarth by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 26, 2013

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
fml

Corvette model by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

Have a Corvette design study so I don't get probated.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 26, 2013

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

It's a XJR 15 innit.
There is one R390 road car though out there I think.
Although interestingly, the XJR was the basis for the R390. Cool beans.

There's a guy who owns an XJR-15 who writes owners reports for Evo now.

Audi R8 by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's moving under its own power and it's insane. That's what.

In a similar vein, the now-late Dick Trickle, in an era of NASCAR when open-face helmets let you enjoy a Winston mid-race:

That's not an open-face helmet :confused:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Seems I can't find the photos now but I used to get an 8'6" surfboard in the passenger seat of my Miata quite easily when I lived in Encinitas.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well I learned something today. I'm going to just pretend they are stupid and say slut life.

Here's some E30's

Should have some nice E30 M3 and Lotus Elise content to post later...it's a car detail weekend.

That chap has a build thread for the cars on Pistonheads: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1108857&mid=34101&nmt=E30+M3+Racecar+Build

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Linedance posted:

What do you do when your car company is going bust and your cars are poo poo and nobody is buying them?
Flood the market with cheap rebadged superminis to recoup losses?
Jump on the SUV high profit margin bandwagon and hope that helps?
Radical cost cutting measures?
Not if it's MG.
You build this:

Then the whole company goes bust, all the factory equipment gets sold for a few mil at auction and parceled off to China, and you retire to a quiet life of academia.
But let's not forget that for a while, something this mental actually made production at a large, and not Australian, car manufacturer.

And remember, they didn't even design the thing themselves! It dates to the mid-1990s and was at various times the De Tomaso Bigua and then the Qvale Mangusta, before they paid Peter Stevens to fiddle with the exterior.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Darko posted:

I can't wait to see this movie to figure out how a Mustang (body-kitted GTs for most of the actual driving on set!) beats every major supercar in a race across the country.

It'll probably be because the driver is really good at slamming in upshifts, and the director will make sure we see each one!

Just for once I wish a car movie director who decided they absolutely HAD to have a shot of someone's feet changing gear filmed someone heel and toeing instead of SHIFTING HARD.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
The red ones look just awful.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
That's the second most wtf thing I've read in AI this morning.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Nocheez posted:

That doesn't make sense. You could easily write off a car (or cars) worth 15 times more than the cost of your car.

Well, it sort of does because otherwise everyone's insurance would be the same because anyone could hit a Veyron when they were out and about. But teenagers are more likely to do so.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Simkin posted:

So wait, does that mean that there's going to be a 2 series as a coupe/2dr version of the 1 series? Then they'll have to make X versions of all the inbetween models...

Yes, there will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

OptimusMatrix posted:

Best footwell ever.

Disagree: