Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
Is there anything on that car that isn't knockoff ebay special? Those brakes terrify me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

Olivil posted:

I believe in tilt-shift photography but this HAS to be a model.

too much tire detail/blinker detail/rivets to be a model.

You can't get the kind of metallic gloss off a model like a real piece of machined steel.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

TyChan posted:

Is that a Maserati? A Urraco?

I can't imagine it's a great idea for a project.

Then again, you could be like this guy:

http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum/f41/2013-lp420-svm-urraco-19263/

I guess I should add a picture of some kind.

Doc's Chops turned this:

into this:

I think that's cool.

It was cooler before.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Nait Sirhc posted:

Pfth, the 6-bolt motor is the only 4G63 to consider here. It doesn't crankwalk.

most 97s, 98-99 (with three piece thrust bearings) walk with the same frequency as six bolts, and the post DSM EVO blocks don't walk? :confused:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Nait Sirhc posted:

I wouldn't say 97-99 had the same frequency of crankwalking as 6-bolts. This is strictly going off of Tooners/DSMtalk posts back in 00-05, but there were a HELL of a lot of 2gb 7-bolts walking and swapping for 6-bolts. And how many 6-bolts walked? One out of every fifty thousand?

Forgot to include the pre-4B EVO motors.

I have never ever in my 12+ years have heard a '98+ walking, and I've heard a few 97s spinning bearings maybe a rare case of something weird, but nothing like the old 95/96s. 7 bolts get a bad rap because dsm "tooners" are idiots and everything is done with the old FSM.pdf and in some guy's garage. I have heard 6 bolts walking but you just don't notice it due to the fact that you don't have a crank sensor on the car.

Honestly, most tooners/talk poo poo is just that. Go look at the endplay spec of any old (150k+) six bolt and its probably wobbling around in there a bit.

A three piece thrust bearing 7 bolt is a better block than a 6 bolt... Hell, it's got a 1 piece main vs. the old 6 bolt 3 piece.

The EVO 4-9 7 bolt crank is the same exact thing as a Dsm 7 bolt crank. Evo 4s used to walk, but the 5-9 never had a problem because they were running the 3 piece thrust bearing by then.

I have a 6 bolt in my old car and a built 98 block in my newer car.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Technically the famous red "motorcycle" from akira would be a scooter too. :colbert:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

joat mon posted:

Technically, how? The only scooter feature that comes to mind that sort of fits is that one's feet go inside the frame (but one also straddles the frame, so it's a draw)
tire size? probably not a scooter
engine performance? not a scooter
handling? not a scooter
clutch? I don't know. Maybe the Akira 'bike has a CVT?

They've made some pretty fast scooters (electric even!) and judging by the wheel base, it certainly isn't going to be showing up on moto GP bikes any time soon for handling.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

This has big tires, big engine and good handling and a clutch and it's scooter. All it needs is a step through frame, which the akira bike has to be considered a scooter.

It even has COMPUTER CONTROLLED anti-lock brakes!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Talking about post emissions Corvettes before the 90s isn't really fair.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

Cars today weigh a poo poo ton more than they did 15 years ago.

My 15 year old Eclipse is around 3100 lbs. :saddowns:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

So that means I can put a wing bigger than the Countach's on my car?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Das Volk posted:

It was kind of a bummer seeing some of those art cars didn't have any running gear in them at all. That E36 was one example, you get up close and you can see it's just empty in the engine bay.

They probably used them in other cars at some point down the road. It's not like they're ever going to drive them again.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

They should put them on a giant rotisserie so you can spin them around.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I look forward to the Studie M GT300 Z4 to be added to the art car gallery.

http://www.studie.jp/information/detail.html?id=37

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I don't remember a character called Heez in Bubblegum Crisis.

NO ANIMES IN CAR FORUMS!!!!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

If I'm stripping out the interior, putting a cage in, towing it every event, I'm going to actually race other cars (as open as that could be depending on classifications), rather than engineer a car to death so I can be cool on the internet.

And yes, a good number of dudes who do Time Attacku are too afraid of driving in traffic.

I do Time Trials with my Eclipse, but only because I can't store a F150 and a trailer and the car all at once. It's kind of a big commitment for someone who lives in the city.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 28, 2012

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

The entry lists I see show a bunch of V8Supercar, rally, club circuit etc on the list. Almost all of the non wheel to wheel guys are in road cars. And even then there's a bunch of them who on other weekends switch to a different car and go grid up.

There's a hell of a lot of BS floating around about who's involved and why - mainly because a bunch of people want to look down on it as silly or not as MANLY or some piece of utter crap.

Getting paid to drive a qualifying lap is still getting paid.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

kastein posted:

http://www.advanceautowire.com/mgbgtv8/

Completely rebuilt MGB with a very clean V8 swap, 3-linked rear, custom front suspension, etc.

That thing looks tacky as poo poo. Ugly way too wide wheels, stupid chrome trim parts all over the interior, cross drilled rotors...

Bleeauuughghhgh.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Hog Obituary posted:

wow man, you have a pretty low bar for what's "tacky as poo poo"
how have you survived this thread so far?

Tacky as poo poo for an MG. It's dumb and was built to sit around "cruise night" with the hood up than actually drive.

Safety Dance posted:

Wait, this from the guy who has a massive hardon for DSM?

I don't have a hardon for DSMs other than I own and modify it? :confused:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Abominable! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92NoDd7DGnU
That's a Motorweek comparison from 1986 featuring the Porsche 944 Turbo being tested against the Turbo RX7, 300ZX Turbo, and Starion ESI-R. It was posted somewhere here in AI not too long ago.

The comments on that video are the best part of it.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

So throw money at her, and never actually be able to do anything with her except for brief fleeting moments that really aren't worth it in the long run? :smith: Or leave her for five years locked in the garage and malnourished!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Traded in every other year for a new model while having no real commitment to own.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

No one has accused a playmate of being smart.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

:stare: It's like the cars I used to draw in 5th grade are real and even better than I ever could've thought!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

kastein posted:

is that an oversize gaming mouse or a car?

Well it's useful as neither so hmmm...

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I went a million miles per hour in a 1992 Civic.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Um, dude, if you didn't notice, those rotors are CROSS DRILLED which automatically makes for RACE CAR

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

That's just how cell phone cameras work. Things that are moving very quickly get strange effects applied to them since the entire image isn't taken all at once. I believe it's called rolling shutter effect.

I just want to pet the droopy propeller one :(

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

drgitlin posted:

You've got to respect the nutterdom behind whoever drove that MX-5 speedster there in December weather.

Run a duct from the HVAC vents to the inside of your clothes and a full face helmet :)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Yeah he lives in Birmingham now and is a small business owner that throws LSs in TVRs and the like.

Who gives a poo poo.

LS engines in a modern TVR makes Baby Jesus cry.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

When I was over in Manchester England a few years back I managed to hear a Cerbera in full song and it was probably the most magical brutish exhaust notes that I've ever heard and I want to murder anyone who thinks it needs to be changed.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

To be fair I stay about 8 inches off the curb when I parallel park also. :ohdear:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Owl take the cat.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Zeether posted:

They're legal to import in Canada, and I'd love to move there for that sole reason. Such an awesome car.

Just think of it, every "Big Gun" 90s sportscar boom is legal in Canada at this point that was in Gran Turismo. :smith:

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

GTi_guy posted:

I think we have to wait until the end of the year for the R-34 GT-R's. other than that I think you're right.

If I had the garage space, I'd wait for a V-spec Nur and drive the piss out of it.

Gran Turismo 1 didn't have R34s in it! ;)

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah I did, and they're actually a crapload cheaper. She, on the other hand, wants a naturally made diamond since it's soooo romantic to have something that's been waiting since the beginning of time to be on her finger :smith:

Not to judge, but she sounds like a real prize.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

4 grand would buy a lot of Ion RedLine modz.

i'm pretty sure you could buy a redline for that much

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I think the styling of Koenigseggs is just really off. I appreciate what's behind it, but it looks too much like some unlicensed Ridge Racer car for me. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Dome S101 from 2001