Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

I have no idea what's going on here, but i love it. :nws: ads. http://www.yaplakal.com/forum11/topic554310.html

Google Translate tells me this is what I thought it was - a bunch of unrestored original race cars (hence actually worth more as a historic). Seems to be a exhibition of historic Eastern Bloc racers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Ugh, I'm being trolled by Jalopnik.

Why the hell does anyone even click on that sack of poo poo website?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

Somebody feel free to school me, but I have it in my head the reason old 911's have the reputation they do is they tended to slide reeeeeeeealy gently one way, and then when you corrected it they came back into line at loving warp speed and you tended to spin the other way. Presumably the guy doesn't wanna end up reversing it into a tree and that's why he's sawing so drat much.

The actual reason they have such a mean reputation is that when they oversteer, you have to do the reverse of what your head is screaming at you to do with the throttle. You want to gas the ever living gently caress out of them to weight shift as much weight on the rear end as possible. Dont pussy foot NAIL the throttle as hard as you can into the firewall. Otherwise, you crash.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

davebo posted:

They're actually not terrible cars, they just aren't very A.I. But neither is that truck. It's more like Helldump.

No, they are terrible cars. They arent even that good as a runaround, which is exactly what they are built for. A lovely Suzuki Swift of all things shows how a runabout should be done and that's still not exactly a good car. But it's a drat good little runabout.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

A few real runabouts doing runabout things

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seeing people know Mystery Men makes me want to Disco because Disco is not DEAD! Disco is LIFE!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Dont need to read an article to know what that's going to be used for..... pity it wont be Vatenen behind the wheel

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Paul Boz_ posted:

Congrats, man!

Nobody hoons a wedding like an Australian, that's for drat sure.

Video:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/locals-beg-police-to-halt-suburban-bridal-burnouts/story-fn7x8me2-1226221292205

I miss talking to Cat Terrist on AIM when I worked over-night in the mid 2000's :(

drat, I aint been on AIM for yeaaaaaaaaaars. About the only AI who I regularly chat to now have found me on Facebook

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Apologies for no pics - wasnt going to rehost and I'm not a dick so not hot link

http://engineeredtoslide.com/2013/05/ets-drift-ute-shakedown/

This is bloody incredible.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Stardotstar posted:

Cattiness aside, can anyone explain why one would want twin turbos on an I-4 application? Or is this just a "because I can afford it" showcar frivolity?

Two small turbos for reduced lag but still able to throw in more air than a larger single or could be set as sequential, with one small turbo for low revs and a bigger one for high revs. Twin turbos do work on an I4, but like anything you need to set it up right for the application you want to use it for otherwise of course it wont work. But that's exactly the same as any mods.

Now, what the comment about twin turbos ruining a I4 is utter rubbish and while most of the work on that car is good, it's a pity they havent got the air intake anywhere near right. That's gonna be breathing in a whole lotta hot air no matter how good or bad the filters are.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

BMW has a similar setup on the 335D... it must be done for a reason.
drat things still have lag but I think it mostly comes down to the autotragic.

Of course it's done for a reason, Twin scroll and VGT arent magic - they dont get over the fact a turbo only works within certain parameters for optimal effectiveness. A twin turbo or a super/turbo setup is theoretically a better solution and moreover obviously a better solution.

In practice of course, that not true - it's a complex and expensive to engineer one. When done right it works and works exactly as well as theory says it does. The downsides of weight, complexity and cost, with the fact you really need a lot of engineer time to get it right in the first place pretty much outweigh the advantages and why it's a rarely seen solution. Diesel throws in another parameter however that bends the equation back to at least "worth a look" - diesels can handle considerably more boost than a petrol motor and can work over a wider spread of boost ranges.

(This poo poo is obvious but I'll go through it anyway) So you go a big turbo to take advantage of the extra boost and have a laggy engine or a smaller turbo for a engine that responds from 1500 rpm but runs out of huff at 4000 - that's where the twin turbo setup is going to be worth it. And given on a diesel it's not going to be bothered by the kind of boost you would be kinda getting worried about in a petrol engine well..... it's now worth the time to engineer.

The only twin turbo diesel I've driven is an Amarok and I gotta say I was really impressed how well it worked. It felt more like a low revving V8 rather than a smallish I4.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Gotta agree about Roadkill and Chris Harris. Best loving car shows on the Net bar none

Mighty Car Mods is pretty good tho season 5 has been a bit lame in places.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The McGee engines were at one point more powerful but the power delivery wasnt good - all peak power and nothing resembling an rpm range. So if you got it into the handful of rpm it worked and it delivered high ET's - but the 15 meter/reaction time usually sucked and there was other problems plsu they were kinda more expensive.

They were kinda getting somewhere in fixing the problems before drag racing got concerned about the ET's being pulled and cars not being able to stop. OHC motors were clearly going to just keep the ET problem getting worse.

They made a one cylinder engine so they could test their designs on a dyno too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

This here is the vehicular version of a genocidal maniac. Or something Mad Max would drive while hunting down the Toecutter. It stares at you from the abyss, daring you to try to touch it at the risk of having your soul sucked into it's supercharger and used to fuel it's howling demon infested engine as The Walking Dude accelerates away, laughing in sadistic delight at the horror it has unleashed. It drips the blood of puppies it has feasted on, it demands virgin sacrifice before it starts, the exhaust and supercharger making a note that sends not just a shiver down the spine, but utterly destroys it as conscious thought flees in terror. It's wheels are clad in the bodies of the children it has consumed, the panels in a paint created by the flayed skins.

This is a car so evil that it makes the Audi S1 a car a nun would drive. And I would drive the ever living poo poo out of it, leaving fire and brimstone in my wake.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

(Kaptain Ballistik at the finish ramp of Rally Australia)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Falken posted:

Here's a Porsche 944.

Built for time attack, which explains the aggressive aero. it used to be a 2.5L 8v turbo with 260hp and 1200 kg. This version is 3.1L, 505hp, 1140 kg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCXkgI7VPsc

I was NOT expecting that to be in Australia.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'm no Millenial and I have no idea WTF it means.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I know all that, I was asking in the sense of how do they make the engines all make the same power. V8SC is practically a one-make race series, they all have a control chassis and so on so they must have some measure In place.

The DOHC Nissan and euro engines would theoretically make way more power than the pushrod holden/ford mills, so they must have some manner of restriction.

Doing this would be questionable, I think, because there would be endless arguments about how much restriction is too much. I'd be interested to know either way.

I think there may be some ECU based restrictions or a hard rev limit. Actually yes, now I recall, there is a hard rev limit no motor is allowed to go over - IIRC 7500rpm. All the motors can make waaaaaay more without restriction than the 630-650 that they do now and all of them are designed to rev a lot harder so this I believe gives you a pretty natural equaliser - you are looking for a fat torque curve rather than have any real concern for peak hp. I think the quad cam motors are struggling to match the OHV engines because of that rev limit, it cuts off their natural advantage.

It also makes the engines quite reliable as they just simply arent working to the levels they can do.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fuller9x posted:

^^What CT said.
Compression ratio's are capped at 10:1 as well as rev limited to 7500 rpm to match the pushrod engines. All teams also run Motec ECU's with a common code which allow the officals to "snoop" on what the teams are doing. Erebus had issues in the beginning of the year with their drive by wire system and had to roll back to the more conventional 8 butterfly setup to get a more linear delivery of power.

I was more thinking the ECU snooping was to prevent backdoor traction controls rather than to provide power parity?

That's an interesting one about the Erebus engines, I would have thought it would be easier to get linear delivery via DBW.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cage posted:

Honestly my favorite part of the video was the giant gear indicator. Is that a rally thing or a ken block thing?

Both.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

SouthsideSaint posted:

Driving a powerful jdm is fun but there is no threat of dying or going deaf.

I cold name half a dozen JDM cars that will deafen you in ways no Yank V8 could even think of and also are far more scary to drive. Honestly, have you even been near a rotary race motor at close to full throttle.....?????

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ooooooh so THAT'S how the did it. Altho not in the FC, that's quite well known for having a very tough IRS that handles spectacularly well on dirt. That AWD would work on a FB nicely

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

gileadexile posted:

I would unironically love to find a Monza with a great body and interior and slam a blown LS in it.

Roadkill posted a new picture..... themselves with Mighty Car Mods in front of said Monza.

IT'S loving ON PEOPLE MCM v ROADKILL

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Could anyone but Marty put up with Moog for more than a day?

Moog is actually a pretty cool dude in real life sooooooo....

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I fuckin love him but it's pretty clear that he knows exactly how to push Marty's buttons.

... Is this where I break the illusion and tell ya it's just an act.....? :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Breaking tables for a worthwhile cause

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Someone is seriously trying to say 500 that has had a big fuckoff engine dumped into the backseat area is not amazing? And quibbling about the looks?????

Really? Come on WTF that 500 is amazing

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

In fairness, it's almost ugly enough to offset the awesome.

No, not in fairness at all. If it's ugly, that just makes it more amazing. "Well that looks like a piece of..... HOLY CRAP WHAT THE EVER LIVING gently caress??????"

cursedshitbox posted:

Hey retards, until theres better builds than a mid engined sedan in ai, shut the gently caress up about it. Its awesome that someone did it. period.

More awesome poo poo:
http://www.wastelandweekend.com/

Wanna complain? GET. OUT.

I'd like to stay, ep with that. What the......!!!!!!!! That's flat out amazing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t26m_Q6ENo

Friend introduced me to this tonight, how am I only just finding out about this? This is AI as gently caress.

Anime is never AI

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

You're wrong.

It's a pile of absolute poo poo, just like just about every other anime ever - a list that also includes the ones I like. Which is a small list but it doesn't deny they are still piles of poo poo. However this one just.... ugh god bloody awful and it's not AI.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Remember the Hoonicorn, Ken Block's crazy-rear end AWD Mustang gymkhana beast?

Now it runs on methanol, and it's got twin turbos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnQwxhG4ETQ

https://www.hoonigan.com/hoonicorn

:eyepop:

:perfect:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

Yeah, but it's an ex-race car. The people in the F40 market are looking for something they can drive on the street that doesn't have pragmatically hacked together stuff on it, while most vintage racers would say that, well, it never won anything and there's not really anywhere to race it so who cares?

It's an F40 - there's any number of rich idiots who would want one.... And there's a lot of those people who dont drive their rare car collections. It doesnt matter it's race history - its the kind of collectors vehicle that makes any cost of restoration worth it. There's been a number of F40's rebuilt from worse. Hell, some guy in Aust threw one into trees at Targa Tasmania @ beyond 200kph and it was rebuilt by Ferrari. You basically have to burn it to the ground to not be able to be restored and make your money back.

So yes, there's enough rich idiots who will care and they also wont care it's history.

Edit : Wooooow..... I shouldnt have been surprised but the F40 chassis is seriously agricultural. Thought it would be a lot more exotic and better engineered. Really strongly reminds me of a Stratos - one serious sexay until you look at the ugly box section the chassis hangs off

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 21, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Meanwhile, in the UK:

If the Queen wants to drive something, no one is going to dare say no.

You Am I posted:

My dad always called Ferraris "Overpriced kit cars"

There's much truth in that - staring at a F430 and seeing a bunch of Fiat and Lancia parts dated from the 70's is jarring.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

This is going through mecum in dallas tomorrow. Somebody grafted the roof of a malibu wagon onto an el camino to make a malibu sedan delivery.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA1116-255642/1965-chevrolet-malibu-sedan-delivery/

I'm so used to cars like that existing in Australia from the manufactuer I was wondering why that's awesome.

(Not saying it's in the wrong thread, just more it's not exactly a unique thing in 'Strayla)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/marcus.dunn.545/videos/vb.530344574/10154810413149575/?type=2&theater

The most evil and angry car to have existed

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Awesome in some respects, others completely and utterly stupid. One of the few things that belongs in both awesome / terrible threads without question

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Someone needs to grab that for an avatar.

Or copy it and work out how to make it breathe fire.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like a Fiero with a bad bodykit. Or a photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

T1g4h posted:

Oh poo poo. Could we possibly be seeing the makings of a modern day Group B? :aaaaa:

They are much faster than Group B in all ways other than top speed. And to be honest the cars have been even getting to Group B style spectaclar for the last two years anyway - it's this year the new rules have sent them over the top. If you can get footage from Poland or Finland from last year you'll see what I mean. Monte Carlo this year, go and have a look on Youtube just to get an ideaa what the new cars are doing, I cant wait to see these things in Finland.... it WILL be mental