Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

"High-revving" 2.8L V6. :laugh: Compared to a diesel, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Zeether posted:

Kei sports cars own hard.

Agreed. There are days I feel like my Miata is just too big and long for a Honda Beat or AZ-1. :v:

Speed and class.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Boat posted:

One turbo per cylinder? Sure. Why not.

I want to see something like this but with centrifugal superchargers and a setup like the multi-alternator guys use with the mile long serpentine belt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ7_HYtWS0Q :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Hahaha...holy poo poo yes.

I was trying to figure out what the hell that was scrolling down through the pictures then started laughing at the fourth one down. It's kind of ricey but well look at my user name :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Re: Speed limit chat

There's a thread in PYF where someone posted some libertarian garbage about how we should all be able to drive as fast as we like all the time. I didn't want to post about how most speed limits are set artificially low to collect revenue. Then again I am a member of the National Motorist's Association so maybe I am more prone to these :tinfoil: beliefs. I think short yellows are a bigger problem that no one really talks about, though.

Sorry for the derail, back to AI car poo poo.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

It's surreal seeing those older car ads that don't have a single mention of fuel economy.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Aurune posted:

Lucas di Grassi had a camera mounted over one of his eyes, the position is really low.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97rrME9eQHA

No matter how much I tell myself it's a real engine, F1 cars always sound so unreal to me, almost like video game sound effects.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Anyone have a picture next to other cars? Without having seen in person, its hard to believe that its around the same size as an Audi TT. And tiping the scales near the 4000 lb mark has boggled my mind for such a small car.

Welcome to the thread!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

This was an article posted on The Onion today, and I think we can all relate to it: http://www.theonion.com/articles/38yearold-little-boy-posts-picture-of-fast-car-he,30631/?ref=auto

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

General_Failure posted:

Build your own gas turbine! It's both awesome and terrible at the same time. The site is also terrible.

http://www.jetpower.co.uk/diygt_home.htm

I've posted this a few times over the years so I hope no one minds if I post it again:
http://www.rcdon.com/html/experimental_projects.html

This guy is awesome.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

4 grand would buy a lot of Ion RedLine modz.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

GTi_guy posted:

The NSX concept was unveiled (again) today, but with an interior this time.

http://jalopnik.com/5976121/take-a-look-inside-the-next-acura-nsx/gallery/1

It looks better to me than most stuff, but at a speculated $120k, it looks kind of bland from most angles. That coupled with an automatic hybrid drivetrain push me away.

That fuckin' interior is gorgeous though.

I see a ton of Audi R8 in the body design. I guess that's old news by now though.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

The S2000 (2l-2.2l) didn't use balance shafts, since they suck up power and add more rotating mass, and neither did the NSX V6 which was a 90* V6 engine that should have had one. It's actually more serious because the vibrations get exponentially worse as engine speed increases. The old Honda gives no fucks about your noise and vibration. :colbert:

It was only recently I learned that balance shafts on I4s turn over at twice the crank frequency. The S2000 would have a pair of shafts turning over at 18000 r/min at redline. :stare:

Another largish four pot that didn't have balance shafts (I THINK) was the Toyota TZ series found in the Toyota Previa but HAHA that van had the most convoluted accessory drive system conceivable so it's not like rotating mass was A Thing Toyota were concerned with.

I don't think the RZ engines had balance shafts either but I can't be hosed to look it up.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Gatts posted:

http://www.costco.com/VRX-iMotion-Custom-Racing-Simulator.product.100016149.html

I'd like to think this is related to AI Car poo poo. This thing costs as much as a new car, like a loaded Camry XLE in 2009 of about $35,000. But I guess if you really wanted a racing simulator, there you go.

This could be built for less than one tenth this price. I'm in the wrong business.

At least you're saving by shopping at CostCo :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

That and I figured the Aveo would be a name GM would want to distance themselves from. Of course I was under the impression that the Sonic was a completely different car from the Aveo but Wikipedia is telling me it's just the second gen Aveo. :confused: I thought the Sonic was getting great reviews but we'll see how they hold up a few years down the line.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Ruh-roh, GM has been seen doing preliminary benchmarking of the next ZR1.

Wanna see the skidpad numbers on that Sienna.

I also had one of those visible engine kits as a kid, a V8. Never actually got it together, though. My first failed project.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Saw a super clean later model NSX in my town while I was heading downtown to watch 4th of July fireworks last night. It's the first NSX I've seen in this town and drat it looked good. The driver noticed my girlfriend taking pictures and revved it a bit next to us. I'm not sure what these sound like stock but it was loud and delicious.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

:corsair: Where are the other 4 cylinders? :bahgawd:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

:black101:

RIP truck thread

This needs to be federally mandated to be on the back of every trailer because gently caress waiting in the left lane behind a truck passing another truck and having 10 assholes behind me whip around on the right so he can't move over. :argh:

Also it appears this photo was taken from a vehicle passing on the right. :suicide:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

I think the 917 flat 12 is the winner.

Porsche's dedication to air cooled engines was awesome. I know there have been air-cooled aircraft engines pushing thousands of horsepower for decades, but the packaging constraints in an automobile are immense. Then when you add turbochargers and the like...

Owning an air cooled Porsche is one of my rich guy lottery dreams. :allears:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I always pronounce it as a single word, Imager.

But it's not ev-

:aaaaa:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

It's a cooling fan. Motor runs hot. :colbert:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

sadnessboner posted:

Early nineties F1 will forever be the definition of the 'F1' shape for me, for one reason:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jAzarFOl5I

I spent/wasted so much of my childhood with that thing

I was more of a Nigel Mansell's World Grand Prix fan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZOITqbtatk

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ugh those drink fountains are terrible. Everything comes out of the same nozzle so you get taste cross-contamination and people take 5 minutes looking at all the options instead of just getting their pour on and going.

I am angry about soda machines. :btroll:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Looks like a perfect excuse for speeding, to me.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Looking at those old cars from the turn of the century makes me think of how much fun it would be to take Karl Benz and his contemporaries for a spin in a modern supercar.* :getin:

*Or hell, even in a CVT Versa for that matter. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

For a minute I thought it was an interior shot of the Pantera that some crazy (is there really any other kind of Northern European?) Swede threw a Hemi into. Would you like to know (a lot) more? The website is straight out of 1999 but has a dizzying amount of information on his build and all the custom parts he designed and built for it.

Holy poo poo that guy is AI as gently caress.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Freshman year (of college so this is either less stupid or more stupid than you are thinking) we took a big rubbermaid tub and attached the bottom of it to a roughly 2'x4' piece of plywood and then attached caster wheels to the corners of the plywood.

Who needs ice? :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

drinking and driving isn't illegal, driving while intoxicated is.

actually that may not be true...

I think most states (mine at least) have "open container" laws anyway. Also I'm pretty sure being "impaired" is up to an officer's discretion so even if you blow under .08 if the officer don't like the look of ya and you're anything over .00000 you can be taken in.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

It's easy to see who's been to the Photoshop and who hasn't.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

13 INCH DICK posted:

bullshit propshaft accessory setup

The best part is how the bushings on all of them are completely shot.

clackclackclackclackclackclack [turn on A/C] CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

What's the purpose of the small belt-driven compressor that appears to be exhausting into the crankcase on the Renault engine?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

First cars are like first girlfriends: you can have all sorts of fun in them but for god's sake don't get their name tatted on your arm. :shobon:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

Someone near me drives a P'up. I should get a photo the next time I see it.

My coworker drives what's quite possibly the Best P'up.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2946804/1986-isuzu-regular-cab/

I keep telling him I'll buy it in a second if he ever decides to sell it. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

http://youtu.be/g10pMGVmhts?t=19m40s

The sheer scale and :gonk: of the Kuwait oil field fires makes you realize what a loving insane bastard Saddam was :v:

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 9, 2014

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Note serpentine driven water pump, like God intended.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

I've thought that the last few years of Camry (and Corolla, for that matter) have looked a lot more aggressive, in a good way. This one at least lives up to the aggressive styling.

This is cool and all but I want to point out how dangerous it can be to run a 52amp fuse in place of a 25amp...

:v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

This is a badass boat but the cockpit looks like a couple of 90s arcade cabinets. :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The GT90 was alright in Need For Speed II but if you weren't racing with the giant T-Rex or the outhouse you weren't racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Neat pics. I always thought the Toyota Sera was kind of cool in a weird 90s way.

And holy gently caress that window glass.