Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

stump posted:

This engine

in this vehicle

is stock fitment.

South Africa only Landrover with a BMW M52 motor.

This would allow even more insane motors to be easily transplated. Holy poo poo. Are they decent performers?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Crustashio posted:

I'm trying to buy this car, felt it's pretty AI.

E30 with the M30 from an e32 and a TCD turbo kit. Putting down ~340 to the wheels.

Throw away that steering wheel, and I think you've got a good car on your hands. Any more info about what's done to it? E36 rack, etc?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Paul Boz_ posted:

That looks perfect and I would not change a thing. The red and gold go perfectly, the wheels are a nice size, and the suspension doesn't look retarded. Good job.

I think those wheels are going to rub the gently caress out of the inside of those fenders though, both turning in the front and compression in the rear. Oh well.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Paul Boz_ posted:

Maybe slightly in the rear on compression but I think I've got less wheel gap than that in the front and I've never rubbed once. My z32 was even lower and never rubbed either. The front looks perfectly fine.

Yeah, with the smaller tires it's not so bad, I suppose. I just had issues with my E30 running 16x8s, but I ran a much wider tire. When I went to a smaller sidewall, it helped, but I still had to roll my rear fenders, and it rubbed at full lock in the front. I guess it just defeats the purpose of having bigger wheels in the first place for me.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Iowa just got that much!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
In my opinion, the Prius is a great car if you want an appliance. It is not a great car if you enjoy driving cars. After driving one, I understand why people are always driving slowly in front of me in them, it's because the car begs you to drive it slowly.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
They seem to be quite reliable, have decent interior space, and get around fairly efficiently. I'd say that's a decent appliance. That's not to say other cars are not a better "green" solution, but I don't think the Prius is a bad car. I definitely have no desire to own one.

Maybe we should ask the professor?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CommieGIR posted:

And poor professor, he just wants a home :(

He has a home, I just couldn't get a great photo of it. It's going in a dirt track Modified racer of some sort.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Tusen Takk posted:

The future is here.

I thought this was the awesome AI car poo poo thread?

I love the tiny wheels on the 3rd pic.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 11, 2013

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I think it's just because they haven't put the race tires on it yet. Just funny to see.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Do I have to do this again? Since when are diamonds awesome AI car poo poo? You want to get your girl some sweet custom designed jewelry anyway, regardless of diamond. With todays modern jewelry manufacturing techniques, almost anyone can have a cool custom ring.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Das Volk posted:

Completely right - I handed a local jeweler a rough CAD drawing, materials I wanted, chose a brilliant sapphire as the main stone and a couple months later got an amazing result.

I may be biased because jewelry, specifically custom jewelry, is my family business. It's still fairly straightforward.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

veedubfreak posted:

Where is the wheelie bar? This car would not be able to move under its own power without tipping over backwards on the first pull and sheering off the fan.

Also, radials sound like rear end when they idle, is that normal?

I think they're using the fan to propel the car, so maybe it wouldn't tip. It definitely wouldn't be super stable. As far as radials sounding like rear end at idle... I think thats personal preference, but I don't think the 9cyls sound great.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
A friend at work has this car...

Now normally they're not my jam, but seeing it up close and listening to the passion he has for this type of vehicle, I'm impressed.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I don't think it's a video game. It's just neat that it's shot from the drivers side of a car in tandem.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Zero fucks given. Except it does seem like he does give a gently caress, but he really wants you to know that he doesn't. Agreed, trying too hard.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I wouldn't describe my feelings as angry. I would describe my feelings as indifferent. He's a real cool dude with his zero fucks given!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Race car.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

PainterofCrap posted:

Where are the Florida plates?

This is Iowa. Our gays can marry and our vehicles are not inspected.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

travisray2004 posted:

Why on earth would anyone want a 600+hp FWD car? (hell, 300+hp)

This forum is called Automotive Insanity for a reason.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Of particular AI interest is this Mercedes with Twin Tires. This guy was actually one of the Canadian distributors for the invention and he had a handful of new tires for this system and a bunch of wheels left over. This particular wheel was made by Speedline but they also subcontracted to Enkei from what he told us.

Is there more information about these? What's the point?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Can anyone ID this engine block for me?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Stealth Like posted:

I guess it's the angle, but all I can see in that picture is it looks like the front wheel has only been partially bolted down and is about to fall off.

It's the camber from the front wheel.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Since the Pontiac thread is nowhere to be found, here are some absolute poo poo pictures of my dads pristine '76 Pontiac Grand Prix. It was his first new car, and he proposed to my mother in it. It is absolutely mint.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Great photos angryhampster, it doesn't seem like the F40 that lives in the area showed up though. Where was this at exactly?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Das Volk posted:

that's the UK spec E36 M cluster (imperial units + oil temp)...

It's an E30 M3 cluster????

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Preoptopus posted:

Im willing to be this is Russia. Where its not that uncommon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdBW_EEMbbw

Pretty confident that the bear in the lambo was in Los Angeles.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I'm just going to hope and imagine that is Lowtax.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Powershift posted:

I don't even care what it used to be, i would drive this every god drat day. This one may be polarizing though.

Looks like it used to be a Lancia Delta Integrale. Poor thing. At least it still seems to be 4x4...

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Jonny Nox posted:

I never get it when people talk about how much prettier old F1 cars were compared to today. But Prototypes? yeah, I get that.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My friend just sent me an e-mail with some interesting photos of an old ladies garage.

"I've been trying to look at these cars for about a year. Finally got to see them. The old lady that owns them thinks they are worth more than they are so I probably won't end up buying them, but they were fun to look at. The bus is all original 73 and in pretty nice condition, just a little rust on the body, but everything else is solid. She said someone told her it is worth $15k...

The Porsche is a 62 356 super 90 sunroof. Complete, but taken apart. She said $30k. I'm not sure what this one is worth yet, but I have seen much nicer ones in the 30k range. The 81 year old lady said this car gives you a sexual experience when you ride in it."

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

jamal posted:

I wanted horsecock.com but it was taken. That was the first one available.

I was the proud owner of 33inchhorsecock.com for a while. I gave out e-mails.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Wasabi the J posted:

This is the same bullshittery that leads to fake engine noises pumped into the speakers.

You can engine brake in even the cheapest auto. You can shift gear faster and more efficiently I in most autos.

Banging gears around may be rewarding, but it's distracting, leaves more opportunity for driver error destroying the car, and is the automotive equivalent of an appeal to nature.

People that think manuals are the only way are like the kid in high school who wore Pink Floyd shirts, insisting that music peaked wherever his dad's music collection stopped growing, never expanding their horizons on what could be done.

Or they just prefer a manual transmission.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

How are you measuring his suspension geometry? Because it has some front camber? You want front camber in most cars for track usage in order to get even tire temperature - Alfa guys want -2*+. It looks low because it has flares bolted on.

Yeah, it has a shitload of front camber and almost no camber in the rear - it looks pretty well set up.

The wheels are really tight fitment with the flares/body as well. The only thing I'd worry about is the wheels rubbing the bodywork.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

DoLittle posted:

It has a solid rear axle, which tends to prevent excessive rear camber.

Typically when I see a "stanced" car it has a shitload of rear camber AND front camber to fit the wheels, which can be a cue that the car isn't quite as set up as the owner would lead you to believe. Obviously with a solid rear, it makes sense that it wouldn't have much for rear camber. The car in question doesn't look too terribly stanced out or terrible.

Either way, the example you posted looks loving nice.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Bape Culture posted:

I love people itt who have no clue about going quickly and just love to post about how camber is bad hahaha. Unironically people who've never seen a race in their life but just KNOW things aren't setup "correctly". :newlol:

Who said camber is bad?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

donut posted:

I can't be the only one that enjoyed reading a car forum that didn't feel like it was populated by cavemen.

This. Also get the gently caress off the fender.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Shrapnig posted:

What you mean is that this is what AI used to be before the sadbrains, troons, and SJWs took over.

Anyone who unironically complains about SJWs should probably :getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Here's the engine bay of a land speed record holding Geo Metro.

He put carbs on it.