Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Ahahaha! That tune is awesome! Reminds me of those guys with the Porsche GT's trolling the streets of Hollywood with the most murderous sounding exhaust I've ever seen (besides a 4 rotor Mazda).

Coincidentally, that guy died in his 996TT during a hillclimb event a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're not going to win this fight, let her have the thing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Beach Bum posted:

Why are we avoiding the best convertibles, Miata/S2000?

Hell, you don't get much that's easier to work on than a Miata.

She wants a PT Cruiser and you think she drives manual? (S2000)
:lol:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

SaNChEzZ posted:

Or federals for the performance minded cheapskate!

I liked my 595s for what they were :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nyyen posted:

I...what...WHY??? :psyboom:

Because sand?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ultimateforce posted:

You could only get manuals on 2JZ, it was the 1UZ that only came in automatics. There's quite a few manual transmissions you can stick behind the 1UZ. Some people like them, I could go either way. They aren't very big displacement and were tuned from the factory to be quiet and smooth, not make a lot of power. The USDM N/A 2JZ in the SC300 is also trash but a hell of a lot easier to put a manual transmission behind. They are ALRIGHT to drift if you trans swap them only because you can get a ratty one for cheap. You can get a ratty SC300 for $1500 or even less if you keep looking long enough. For a while Rich had a Megasquirted "1.5" JZ making around 700hp and it was a straight piece of junk. He sold it pretty quick after losing all interest in it.

The UZ sounds really cool with ITBs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8sT2BQ4uc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm5k1ntJNBU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KozmoNaut posted:

It's part of the reason I ride an EFI thumper now ;)

You still have to sync EFI TBs...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bugdrvr posted:

Not if there is only one.

Derp, missed the thumper part.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

Insert shopping trolley jokes here.

It looks kinda cool in a very strange way...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Endless Mike posted:

A large number (or all?) of the members of Seal Team 6 involved in the Osama raid died in another operation not too long afterward.

Wait, is that true?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Snowdens Secret posted:

Phone is right. At best it's rationalization of the decisions millenials make in the face of being turbofucked economically, now and for the foreseeable future. A car, the payments and upkeep, and insurance are liabilities they are avoiding, just like home ownership, marriage, and child rearing, because they're terrified they won't be able to afford them. So they make up hipster cool reasoning why those are plusses and not massive life concessions.

Obviously that's not 100% true of everyone in the generation (and if you're posting here you're probably not in that set) but it's certainly the overwhelming trend.

I was born in '87 but I am worried about being able to afford payments long run and live minimally because of it. I make decent money now and will be doing better in a few years but I still can't really imagine piling a car payment ontop of a mortgage, ontop of...

It's just one of those what-if things. On the other hand, I ride motorcycles so I think I'm gambling with something more valuable every day. Whatever.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Until you get rear ended, someone "doesn't see you" and makes a left in front of you, etc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pham Nuwen posted:

Terrible IT stuff in this thread, seriously how bad do you have to be to gently caress that up? What was wrong with 10.?

...or class B... or class C...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

some texas redneck posted:

Doesn't work so well on road trips, but I often find a few cars hauling rear end when I'm on a trip. I just try to avoid being the lead or tail in those groups.
I find it hilarious how when you do a nice pull to 160-170mph after getting some clear road people will be right up behind you by the time you slow back to 80mph.
(Liter bikes, I love you but you're not good for my health)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PCOS Bill posted:

Maybe if you'd stop being a squid they wouldn't be so bad for you?

Edit: Okay that was harsh. But seriously slow down.

No, they are bad for me because eventually I'll flick myself to the moon at a trackday.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

Why the gently caress did they bother including hawaii in that map? Was someone really that anal?

It snows in Hawaii, no bullshit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yes... I really need to make a video of my friend's rare one with the turbo 16v. It sounds right out of 80's rally.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

A turbo 4 cylinder mated to a 3 speed auto. Sounds stellar.

Reading about american cars from that era is incredibly depressing for some reason. They just seem so loving poo poo compared to their japanese equivalents, but I've never really seen any in person or worked on them so maybe I'm not seeing it clearly. Are they really as garbage as everything I read makes them seem?

5spd manual. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
CGTs are kinda known to be handfuls for even professional level drivers.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

OneStopShop posted:

The driver was World Challenge driver Roger Rodas.

poo poo, I hadn't even read that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KozmoNaut posted:

Right up until you marry them, then they turn into babushkas.

Same thing with Italian women. Absolutely gorgeous, then as soon as the ring is on the finger *POOF* fat, mustachioed spaghetti-cooking mama.

Gotta look at their mom first.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ror posted:

Maybe you just haven't been reading all the specs on the C7. The new "Ditch Your Ride" system allows for incredibly fast and efficient parking at any location where the onboard computers detect a ditch.

Haha, that looks like Tortilla Flat here in Arizona... if I'm right then that little section can be `safely` navigated welllll north of 100mph.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

Just a reminder. The left lane is for doing 1mph over the speed limit.

Haha, I never really believed this stereotype until I rode in LA a couple of weeks ago. Speed limit in left lane or doing 30mph++ over. Thank baby jesus for lane splitting.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/pts/4263925699.html

On my phone so I won't risk trying for a screenshot/paste

I'd rock it for the price. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

I wouldn't, you can find completely unmolested examples for $1k needing a few sensors or a fuel pump.

Find one in the Phoenix area and I'll buy it this week. I need an occasional driver / trackbike tow vehicle and an XJ sounds cooler than a Protege5. Bonus points if it's that loving AWESOME light blue/greenish color.
edit: This color. I love this color.

Rob Ford posted:

Word, cars like that are like Thai hookers.

You mean like how the ladyboys come up to you when you walk past the shops with 5 of them sitting out front waving laminated sheets with prices in DT BKK? Yeah, I seen that for real.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 30, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Hahahaha. Here is the motorcycle equivalent: Ninja 250 at Laguna Seca vs liter bikes and poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz03sQeX02c

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

In all fairness a 250 is a lot less scary to drive hard than a liter bike :v:

It's more scary to brake that late and carry that much corner speed than to crack into the throttle before apex, get on it hard leaving, and carry the front while still leaned over. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

animeliker posted:

2002, and it always had retractable headlights.

He was probably thinking of the NSX.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's a loving dragon head. On shrooms.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I followed a Tesla Roadster on the freeway today with the plate GASSUX. Probably shouldn't be in this thread though. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Das Volk posted:

It sounds terrible. The outgoing car, for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htD5Ts1z1rQ

It sounds terrible and it looks like a riced out E92 M3. :barf:

edit: The new M3, I mean.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 22, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If they have to think about it it means they haven't noticed it... therefore it has been working, at least until you sent that message.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Wasabi the J posted:

I like the noise limits they put in place at Las Vegas Motor Speedway...

When less than a mile down the road, the runway for Nellis AFB starts.

We have a 94dB limit at Arizona Motorsports Park...

poo poo is loving retarded.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

tobu posted:

When is that 94db allowed? at idle or flat open or what? Where I am you're car isn't meant to break 90db (96db if the car is pre-1983 cars) stationary at 4000rpm.
I don't know poo poo about cars, I can't afford to track them so I track motorcycles. There is a sound station between 4 and 5 and between 12 and 14a - if you pop sound you get black flagged and tech checks out your exhaust - if you don't have a silencer to put in it or a stock exhaust with you then you're done for the day. There are certain bikes like the Panigale (from exhaust) and the 06+ R6 (intake) that trip it dead stock and you basically have to short shift down the straights if you're a fast rider.

Aurune posted:

The fixes for such things are as well.

Yeah, owner of the track has a 911 GT3 cup or some poo poo with a weird exhaust to sneak past too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The noise limits at NHMS vary depending on event, for reasons I don't understand. Our vintage bike races mostly have noise limits but of course NASCAR doesn't. Cause we're louder, obviously.

Because money. Unrestricted days are expensive as poo poo to run.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 14, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bone_Enterprise posted:

Being where MSR Houston is located (down the road from my house a bit actually), there is no body around to complain about noise pollution.

...yet...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Flame thrower exhaust for people that have poo poo that doesn't naturally shoot flames :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Motorcycles are really good at it.

My GSXR750 does it when I let off at high revs. Big bang - big flame out the back.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KozmoNaut posted:

Probably the latter. It seems to be endemic to car forums in general. Same thing with high-octane gas in everyday cars, people get suckered into "more=better" and subconsciously make the prophecy of better mileage come true by subtle changing their driving style.

Most additives are nothing more than expensive naphtha with a bit of coloring for the fancy versions.

The nano bullshit additives usually go in the oil, and they're really nothing more than cheap SAE20 oil with various poo poo in them. Most of them probably won't do any harm, any particulate matter will get stuck in the filter.

Do car guys run U4.4 or MR12 or anything like that? It's legit worth 6-10hp on the little 600cc bikes making 120whp after a tune (130hp+ 600cc bikes with U4.4+tune). Mmm... 160whp GSXR750.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 11, 2014

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

Explain. Also, this happened yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfT7oQzMEyI

Goddamn, that's actually pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Powershift posted:

The lambo is also done by batshit russians, who we know are capable of this.

http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/38702.html

This happens in the US too. :v: