Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Let me just park my piece of poo poo perpendicularly when there's more than enough space to do it like a normal person :argh:

That's, uh, kind of the point of having a smart car, this is extremely common in european cities. There was probably a different car parked where the black opel or whatever is in front there when the smart car arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Counterpoint: US drivers will likely be texting and hit the car anyhow, even with the wider roads since driver training in the US primarily consists of "Can you find the DMV? Yes? Here's a license"

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Aurune posted:

Could you badly outline all the edges on my GTR? Thanks.

Even Toyotas are doing it now.

It seems to be a Tron concept.
http://imgur.com/a/2quqx

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Awkward rear ends that look dated 3 months after you buy the car are kind of a Cadillac standard

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Landau tops are meant to replicate the look of chauffeur-driven cars from the days when your filthy Irish communist driver didn't DESERVE a roof over his head, but the lords & ladies in the back did.

But then they suddenly realized that Tom was getting all tanned and enjoying motoring in the fresh air, the daring-do of which combined nicely with his new bronzed complexion and led to a newfound gain of self-confidence, and he started dating their youngest daughter. One thing led to another.

So they flipped the arrangement around, but with the need to be able to put the top up in back in case it started raining.

It's a style that persisted through the "Fashionable Despot of the 70's" era of automotive history and had mostly died out, but then

Jay Z happened.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Someone probably bought a set of RIMZZZ from a model of car that had the same bolt pattern but the wrong offset (and cheap rimz = why not get the narrowest possible tires considering they sell rubber by the mm). Altima wheels probably "fit" on G37's if you're a dumbass.

At least that's always what I think when I see someone with non-stock wheels that sit 2-3" inside their fenders.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
What's this? Is someone driving a F40 in traffic on the 101?

No, it's a non-twin turbo 300zx

And the plate matches this one.
http://www.oddimotive.com/2014/01/at-least-its-not-fiero-300zx-f40-kit-car.html

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
This has been showing up in the parking garage at work. Sorry for the terrible quality pics.

2015 Porsche GT3 Has No Manual Transmission Option

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Modern DCTs allow you to be in exactly the gear you want to be in with millisecond-speed gearchanges, and have the added benefit of preventing you from money-shifting (because you are not a race driver).

If it takes you more than 3 attempts to learn how to drive any stick at any point in your driving career, you took too many tries. It's really not very hard and 85% of the world's driving population has never driven anything other than standard transmission.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Koch
This
Nissan
Van Sucks.mp4

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My '08 3-series (the V8 one) has a programmable timer that will crack the windows and pull in fresh air through the blower to get hot air out and then put the windows back up when it's done.

It recommends only using it once per day to avoid draining the battery but it's pretty handy to have it do that 5 minutes before coming back out to a hot car after work, on the occasion I have to park on the roof.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm going to put two grocery bags/$18.49 worth of lovely chrome plastic all over my car, but BY GOD, I'm going to do it well

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

You know what's funny? Literally any jeep factory built car made in the last 40 years at any price point could take that jump and land it no problem.
Bro trucks really are the worst of the worst.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Look on the bright side, he could have done what every other guy his age does and buy a Corvette to drive 20mph under the limit, so at least he's doing you the service of giving you something a little bit rare to look at?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Terrible Robot posted:

gently caress, it is. How the hell does that thing even pass inspection?

It's not like you're going to live through flipping a Miata if you're taller than 4'3 anyway, so what's it really matter?

That poo poo was just dead weight, who needs their cars tied together on both sides anyway when the wife (who is so vain about her hair but not so vain to get in...that...) is getting too tousled in your roofless sports automobile?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Plot Twist: That manager was Carly Fiorina failing her way up the ladder

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

atomicthumbs posted:

someone made a whoopsie driving through West Marin

the fact that I can take that same corner, heading east (as they appear to have been) at a decent clip in my Volvos makes me wonder how exactly they managed to end up rear end-end first on the opposite bank

Where the hell are any skidmarks?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A guy I know has one in his car and he has to stop drinking at like 9pm every night because he has to leave for work at 7am and even though he's not even feeling buzzed at 10pm the .004 or whatever residuals in the morning are enough to not allow him to start his car.

Clearly the solution to people with alcohol problems is to make them lose their jobs because they had 3 beers the night before.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Nitrox posted:

Or they can stop drinking beers, imagine that

I was just commenting on it being a pain in the rear end beyond the obvious ways already discussed, and pointing out that the allowed starting levels are so low as to be triggered from a small amount of not-strong alcohol 8+ hours previously.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
How not to drive at the 'Ring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z13vGps9yoY

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

Please tell me he survived because, gently caress.

Guy seems to be out and walking around at the end of the video, and the first attendant at the scene doesn't then check anyone inside, so it would seem he at least lived for a while

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

#:whitewater:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The thousand pounds of downforce that big spoiler is gonna give him at freeway speeds is going to snap that plastic aftermarket vanity spoiler right in half.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Is an Audi S4 really a special snowflake of a car? Or is it not unreasonable to assume a car maintenance routine does not involve "Cut until you find the part you want to monkey with" regardless of whether your car is an Audi or a Chevy?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
When I was in high school a teacher at my school was killed when an oncoming truck hit a deer that smashed through her car's windshield on a 4 lane, divided highway. Pretty bad luck, there.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

From the website: http://www.kmcwheels.com/wheels/4571/rockstar

edit: An actual, live human being wrote these words. Un-ironically. Then someone approved those words. Again, un-ironically. Then someone posted them on a website trying to sell these things. Again, somehow, un-ironically. Please stop the world and kick all the bros off, please. This is the most IE thing anyone has ever written.

Not quite on topic but to be more likely factually correct given the overall attitude of this company's marketing:

an actual, live human being wrote some other words that were grown up and professional sounding. Then the owner of Rockstar: The Company decided that graphic design and content writing is pretty easy, they've seen tons of internet websites, and the word "E" is in their title, so...

then that actual, live human being, sighing heavily, wrote some horrible nonsense but refused to include the grammatical error that the newly self-appointed Creative Director suggested in the one line uncapitalized/unpunctuated email they'd sent from their iphone from the bar, and submitted something else that was close in spirit but worked a little better while still having the relative terrible gist that was requested, but utilizing actual English. That effort was rejected, the actual live human being was admonished (again, in one line with no punctuation or capitalization), and the previously agreed-upon 'approved' copy was then inserted into the mock. The front end dev who has never worked in advertising or merchandising but still knows dogshit from quality said "Hahahahahaha. Whatever" and posted it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't know why this is apparently a thing, but I wish someone would do it in real life.

Rollin' on 5s, baby :whatup:

:madmax:

These things are hilarious.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If only they'd had a HOA to protect them (and society, in fact) from parking on this extremely narrow street.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Chris Knight posted:

I was too slow to snap a pic but I just saw a pink BMW i8 go by. 😵

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

wayfinder posted:

Oh wow yeah that's pretty bad.

And in addition there's that eagle in the middle that looks kinda nazi-ish as well

:golfclap:
Underappreciated.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Exhausts also tend to expand as they get heat into them. Observe my exhaust tips' M3rection

https://vimeo.com/124575684

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

They don't want to drive a vehicle like that. Could you signal a little harder you don't know what financial hardship is like in any meaningful way?

Hm yes, you're correct, driving a car is a constitutional right and just because you can't afford to do it safely, gently caress everyone else's safety too.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Then I guess it was someone else who italicized 'want' as if not wanting to drive a dangerous car and still doing it makes it okay.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

That's twice now.

Well I'll guess I'll try to somehow carry on without ever understanding your terrible posts, sorry about your poordom.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

davebo posted:

I guess thanks for posting this because I honestly thought it was an edit too. But now I'm just sad.

Don't be that sad, just remember that people who have english as a second language can also have terrible opinions.

Like being proud of a Dodge Durango enough to do this. But dude loves his Duranco and I'm not gonna knock him.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 2, 2016

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
50's corvettes with ghastly modern wheels that would look awful on a modern car and lovely gimmick headlights are worse than donks. And donks are terrible, but better than bro trucks.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The flip side of this.. not-passive-aggressive display of sidewalk chalk ownership is that your amateur lanemarkings have just okayed everyone else to start parking in that slot like that. Nice work.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That's a weird leap to make over me observing that people will now start parking in those new slots now that they've been made officially sanctioned by existing, but no, I don't even really know what that means.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hm yes I definitely said it made it now legal to park there and not "give idiots a suggestion about new ways to be idiots and they'll take it". Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, not to give any illegal advice or anything (I'm not a lawyer, so it's fine) but there's a reason literally every state bordering California has next to zero laws applying to anything, so go register it there.