Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Girl are you a 1977 miniseries starring LeVar Burton because goddamn those ROOTS

It's a look now.
http://hellobeautiful.com/2148345/ombre-hair-trend-dye-celebrity-pics-how-to-what-to-consider/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

-S- posted:

Simply because she a) wants a convertible and b) inexplicably likes the way it looks. Believe me, I've spent 3 days telling her how terrible they are, but am apparently "being mean to her." I would honestly be fine buying her ANYTHING but that. Marital advice ITT.

Does the new new Beetle come in a convertible? I really like the way it looks, and it'd probably appeal to her funky side.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ripoff posted:

My brother is looking for a sort-of beat-up, $2,000 or less truck for the upcoming winter so he can spare his other car the abuse. So he and I have been on the prowl for some trucks lately, and as we're passing by a nice little lot that's less than a mile away from my house, we spot a Toyota T100 in the back.

poo poo, a T100 is a nice truck! There's no price mentioned on it, but hell, let's take a look.

So as we approach the body has a few dings and nicks here and there, inspection due in January 2014, but no biggie for a cheap old truck, right? Then I stuck my head in the wheel well:

What the gently caress :stonk:

Then we realized the truck didn't have a price written on it for obvious reasons.

Free would be too expensive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Why, if you're already named TONY, that's a steal!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I don't know what it is about unlicensed children's TV show characters, but they fill me with a sweet sadness.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Either that or it's a special character in your state's DMV's license plate database and they aren't sanitizing their inputs properly so they use lovely Javascript to prevent any bad inputs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

The better your antenna, the less power you should need.

As a former ham, the more antennas you have, the better.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

I just tried the idea out by removing the clips from my seatbelt and fully retracting it. Then I plugged in the belt from the passenger side into the driver's side buckle and the car still beeped when I turned the engine on. Oh well, I'll just have to deal with a too-long seatbelt.

If it irks you that badly, just unplug the sensor.

Fucknag posted:

Still not as ridiculous as those old pickups International used to make.

And I ain't talking about the 1000 series or whatever.

Those are actually useful.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

For what? I'm genuinely curious, I never knew such a thing existed. It looks pretty awesome but what can you really use it for, aside from simultaneously transporting four people and towing an enormous trailer?

Pretty much. Let's say you own a company that operates a 10 ton piece of very niche equipment (for installing radio antennas or inspecting bridges or laying trans-continental fiber optic cable or something like that). You want to be able to load up a crew and drive a thousand miles to the jobsite. An actual tractor trailer would require someone with a Commercial Driver's License, and you'd have to comply with a ton of extra laws. A big truck like that fills the gap between big-rear end pickup truck and tractor trailer nicely. International didn't build those with the intent of selling them to everyday scrubs like you and me. They're very purpose-built.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

My usual response to that is "Shut up, you're drunk. Put on the goddamn seatbelt" ;)

My response used to be to turn and brake sharply enough to bounce them around inside the cabin, but I've since mellowed out.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

I passed, even for $400...mostly because the windshield would be impossible to replace.

Speaking of this, auto glass places have just-in-time CNC windshield fabrication things, right? It's not like Safelite has a gigantic warehouse of every windshield ever, right? :tinfoil:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

hey man, that's not cool, we have teeth and don't beat each other up. :haw:

Just checked Pirate4x4 and holy gently caress, here's one for this thread.

Check out the lift block on the left side of this picture. It looks like it's about to catastrophically fail.

kastein posted:

That is the front diff and it still has no business being there. I don't even know, man.

My guess is that the chunk of square tubing protecting the steering gear isn't attached to the front axle, it's attached to the body by a yard of rusty metal, such that it'll fall off the second it hits a medium-sized rock.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 3, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Galler posted:

Set fire to it and then unwrap the car.

Why? Dude's got oodles of money, and it's not like he's doing something irreversible to a rare car.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

drukqs posted:

The whole thing began because these people keep a yappy terrier of some sort out in their front yard in a chain link cage. The dog launches into barking fits when I start my car.

Thing is though, the dog barks when people walk down the street, the dog barks when any other noisy car goes by (this is easily the busiest street in town,) the dog barks even when there's complete silence. It's crazy. They are infamous on our block for subjecting everybody to this racket.

I've driven noisy cars in this area since I was 16, now all of a sudden it's a huge issue for these people, that's what makes this whole thing so difficult for me to get on board with. But it's a dead issue, I'm having another lovely silencer overnighted from Japan. (amazon)

Is your exhaust legal? gently caress 'em.

Either that or send them an invoice for the exhausts and time you have spent.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

A car parked in the middle of the road seems like it shouldn't be tremendously inconvenient for a man with a five ton.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Depends if they used bubble-wrap too.

Supplemental Restraint Surface

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

That's not a Buddha. :colbert:

Though I can't say I can name it either.

That's a very classic reclining Buddha. You can tell because of the curly hair, long earlobes, and long fingers. There are a few good examples of the reclining Buddha in temples in Thailand. e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Pho

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Wheel isn't bent, that's camber. And wrong thread.

Nope, absolutely the right thread.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

http://consumerist.com/2007/03/30/dealerships-rip-you-off-with-the-four-square-heres-how-to-beat-it/

It's a sales technique that involves writing a bunch of vague numbers very quickly in order to confuse and screw you.

When I bought my Subie, I was both relieved and a little disappointed that they didn't try to four-square me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I briefly read the "Done?" button as "What have you Done?"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Tactical Bonnet posted:

The same goes for that pink piece of garbage above, but replace "designer" with "custom car builder"

The pink thing, I'd be willing to imagine, is more a case of "Frank dumped $100,000 into this thing and then died, I'm sure I can recoup at least $50,000." The Lexus was designed and executed by professionals.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nah, just climb out the rear hatch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Super cars have the huge grills

Ferrari 458 Italia

Lamborghini Aventador

Bugatti Veyron

All huge grills.

Okay, let's go with front-engine cars:

Corvette ZR1

Dodge Viper

Gigantic front grills.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

I average 35 miles daily and end up using 8-10 kwh of electricity (60-90 cents locally) and no gas.

Lifetime average of 167 mpg

I'm also just under 1300 miles on this tank and have used 4.2 gallons of gas.

At what point do you get a new tank simply because the old gas has gone bad?

Phone posted:

This belongs here

I get it, but why don't you explain to less savvy people what we're looking at here? It's the sloppy hard lines and the cattywompus proportioning valve(?), right?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Terrible tire poo poo: Saw some loving doofus in a 98 Civic with the SOHC economy VTEC engine that has maybe a fart-can and hot air intake, running loving Nitto DOT slicks. In the winter. A week after we got 9 inches of snow.

Goodyear Eagle F1s were fun in the snow on my Mazdaspeed Protege. You just had to be reaaaaallly gentle.

I ran Nitto slicks for a month one summer when I punctured one of my street tires and just swapped my track tires on. They got a little dicey in heavy rain.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

dpack_1 posted:

Pretty sure most people are covered for theft. Here in the UK the two standards are full comp, or 3rd party, fire and theft.

Having a news / police chopper literally film someone stealing your car for a joyride is gonna be a pretty easy claim from the insurance company.

Theft is a comprehensive claim in most (all?) US states, and as such, is only covered if you have comprehensive coverage.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Is that the same officer in both pictures?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

A skid plate is likely to rain mud/grime down on a tech while (s)he wails on the rusty stuck bolts with an airgun. A canister oil filter, that's just laziness.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

opengl128 posted:

I thought I remember hearing that it lines up on the 2.0 engines, but not the 2.3/turbos. I promptly cut a new one in the right spot for mine after the second oil change of taking off the undertray when half the bolts were seized.

Also recently converted to a spin on filter, which is nice.

This is what I heard as well. I was going to do both of these to my Mazda 3, but it took a truck up the rear end before I reached the first oil change interval.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My Husqvarna had two oil drain plugs within inches of one another. One required a 12mm socket, and the other required a gigantic hex driver for reasons known only to :sweden:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Am I correct in reading that step 15 is "intentionally starve the engine of oil"?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The beautiful blue sky, the nondescript buildings, the oil stained parking lot, it all paints a picture so much more vivid than a mirror-car could.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

May god have mercy on your soul if you have to hit the brake pedal and scratch em.

Seems like you could replace the brake pads with microfiber cloths in that case.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It looks kind of like an E30 and a Range Rover Evoque had a baby. I dig it. Maybe dial it back a little bit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Does the caravan provide downforce?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cx states chattering sound from front end.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I saw someone driving like that once. About 1/4 mile later, I saw the car he'd smashed into and was running from.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Beach Bum posted:

The only thing that was permanently damaged was the clutch disc; taking off from stoplights was a real doozy :haw:

No hills where you live?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If they're snowbirds, they could live in Florida ~183 days out of the year and get away on a technicality probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's loving hilarious that people who like fake internet money that's based on a funny dog picture can throw enough real money at NASCAR* and get a car decorated to look like their fake internet money. Imagine the ramifications if, say, Clinton supporters got her a NASCAR or if some crazy rich person sponsored a NASCAR that just says "EARNHARDT SUCKS" on the side. 55 grand is a completely achievable amount of money, too. It's not like they built a LiteCoin Formula 1 car.

*Not how it works but close enough.