Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

S2000 tail lights?

The 90s called. They want their trapper keeper back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Dr.Smasher posted:

If you lose the rear wing, I think it goes to the other thread

Only if that adds a rear facing trunk seat. Then I'd agree.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Unrelated but I always thought the ashtray was called the rear end-tray, because you put your used butts in it :shrug: made sense to 6 year old me

Terrible car stuff: you put your used butts in the rear end-tray

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

krillin from Dragonball posted:

I imagine in 10 years there are going to be cars that were owned by heavy vapers where every surface is sticky with 1000 different smelling vape oils

I've got a friend who vapes constantly and his cars back windows are like frosted glass.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

NoWake posted:

The only thing I respect is that it's on a trailer where it belongs

Same

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Lug bolts suck. Period.

Taking wheels on and off is one of if not the most common thing to happen to a car.

Arguing that it isn't bad because you can just make your own studs that you install temporarily instead of having them be a permanent part of the car is the most German car thing I've ever heard.

If you're still not convinced:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lug...mobile&ie=UTF-8

All I had to type into Google was "lug bo" and it auto filled the rest.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

xzzy posted:

Hoonigan is the "I wanna be a car guy but don't actually know poo poo about cars but I sure like ken block videos and they seem very popular so imma slap this bad boy on so everyone knows I am a driving enthusiast" badge.

Nailed it.

um excuse me posted:

I do have stickers on my car. They are for vendors who really helped me out with the build for my car. They are on the rear quarter window so they don't obstruct vision. I'll be pushing close to double the stock HP and otherwise look completely stock. That's how you do a street car tastefully.

Username post combo there.

I don't think there are many people in ai who are missing the whole sponsor/sticker thing.

Or that people who aren't sponsored are cargo culting race cars.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Stick to steer probably sucks but...

I want a time attack car where a codriver has control of the active aero with plane controls. Not just yes/no downforce with aero brake but full on pitch and yaw.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Frond posted:

I think the C4 Corvette was a good car. Underrated even. Sure, it had a horrible manual gearbox, terrible electronics, wasn’t assembled properly etc. but it’s performance was pretty great, even now.

I helped put a procharger on a c4 once. It made 400ish whp. Fun as all loving get out.

All the internet math aside, agreed.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Imagined posted:

Through the sheer force of his masculinity somehow my grandfather could drive around all day in his 87 Dodge Ram with a regular rear end mug of coffee on the dashboard and never spill a drop. All while never dropping an ash the length of his entire cigarette.

USDM dad from initial d I guess. Bonus points if it was a steak delivery truck in the Rockies.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm convinced the SUV craze came about from "we need a minivan because family" vs "I don't want a minivan I want a manly thing".

SUV = MANVAN

It's big, holds lots of kids and their stuff, dad doesn't feel emasculated buying it. Family truck. But trucks suck at everything that isn't being a truck. So they buy it and bitch it's rough and gets bad gas milage and etc till we get a massive car that looks angry af but is basically a car and now we live in the greatest era of sports cars surrounded by CUV hell.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Blizzak life.

Winter tires and a lsd and you're basically a super hero.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Having kids is a poor excuse for giving up fun cars. I sold my C6 Vette a couple years ago because I was like “oh but I can’t take both the kids at the same time” and almost immediately realized that was a dumb move. I have other cars for family time. So now I just buy whatever I want and my wife gives me the thumbs up every time no matter what. Hatch tag blessed.

Of course I know not everyone can have multiple cars but you gotta find a way to have fun!

Disclaimer: I have no understanding of how social media tags work.

I've got a future build in the works that's getting a "hatch tag blessed" sticker right next to the "genuine eBay parts" now.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You Am I posted:

I think Ferruccio Lamborghini would be pissed about a Ferrari badge on a Lamborghini, as story goes that Ferruccio was unimpressed with the build quality of his Ferrari road car and old Enzo told him to go and stick it.

Iirc he had a Ferrari with clutch problems. He took it apart and it was the same clutch he used in his tractors. Words were exchanged and now we have Aventadors.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Your honor the suspect said "I can't breathe" so I feared he might have corona. Luckily the department had a procedure for suspected covid exposure.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

For a short list have they found anything that was right?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Anyone else remember in the internet of the olden times (probably 03 or so) the Miata that somehow got most of a container of BBs dumped down the intake while it was running?

How else are you going to shot peen the pistons and valves.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

So here is a question I ask myself about car safety. If I plan on doing a lot of miles in something old that might see some track use is or worth putting in a roll cage for the extra crash protection as well being able to be teched for higher ET at the strip? Common sense says no don’t put racing stuff in a car that maybe you might make go fast because of the low probability you get into an accident and because it is old will just crush you into a pulp because the same cage might just do more harm than good.

Cage with harnesses and helmet are safer, without are more dangerous.

The split the difference option would be a 4-6 pt roll bar. You would pick up some side impact and rollover protection without surrounding your head with tubes.

I got tboned in a 90 civic with a rollbar and it saved my life. Right in the driver's door. The car got pushed in right between the tires, but there was a hump sticking out 8" right where the main hoop was.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

taqueso posted:

Are there standards for a cage design? I'm guessing there are 'known strong' designs, but are there recommendations if you are making something from scratch?

It's usually build to suit the rules of the sanctioning body. So SCCA/NASA/NHRA/FIA etc.

They all give a solid basic explanation of the concept but can still be built poorly while complying to the letter of the law. I say this having only really read the rules for everything but FIA.

The rules generally try to balance safety without letting anyone spend their way to first place. This means general rules like "the main hoop must be one continuous piece bent no more than 180 deg total" and "the cage must be attached at a minimum of 6 places but no more than 8".

Generally they lay out the minimum, the fundamentals of the design, minimum material type and size/thickness, and recommended upgrades.

NHRA wins first place for the worst rules IMHO. They allow main hoops without a diagonal brace and allow bends in down tubes that go to the rear of the car. It gets better at lower ETs but when you first hit need a rollbar I think it's a little to open.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I always have a right eyebrow raise at drag racing cage rules. Picking on Mechanical Stig for this one - his cage would be stupid dangerous in a crash and it's a cage legal to a 7.9 ET - it's got no diagonals, it has bent legs, it has no real supports anywhere to tie into the body and I'm just WTF how the hell is this legal? (It's 100% legal). I got away with a cage like that in a old rally car but it had a log book from 1986, there is not a chance in hell it would pass muster for a club supersprint. It got what nearly 900Kw and traps at nearly 250kph?

One issue I suppose is that OEM road cars are now pushing 9's and a lot of wamed road cars can easily do one and done's for a 10.5 ET but still. It's nuts what you can legally run

This is a total guess, but all I've come up with is parallel walls. They're not going nose in or door slapping those walls at the relative speeds of rally or road racing.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If it goes wrong they often are going faster.

Say if you have the not unlikely senario of.... well lets pick on Cleetus McFarland..... is driving Ruby and the car snaps an axle at 1000ft, driving it hard into the wall and flipping it. The cage in that car is teched to 8.5 and it would likely collapse making the accident worse - thats going 240kph at that point.

Yeah yeah I get it, rallying and circuit is more likely to have an off and we're racing for far longer. It still doesnt make sense a rollbar/cage that makes an accident more dangerous is in any way allowed.

I'm not saying I support it. Just that they get away with less cage since they're not flooring at a 90 degree turn. Cleetus is doing that speed parallel to the wall not straight at it. (Total conjecture on my part)

OSHA rules for example are written in blood. NHRA won't catch up until they're forced to. I wish this wasn't the case.

Remember this started because I called their rules the sketchiest I had seen.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

He's almost done with the tread correction. Ceramic coat tomorrow!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Rorac posted:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/d/alsip-1985-cadillac-seville/7171112880.html

While I respect the dedication to a complete aesthetic style, the aesthetic style is poo poo.

I lost it at the Benjamin rear floor mat.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

At an apartment I used to live at there was a neighbor with a nearly straight pipe civic that would "warm it up" by bouncing it off the rev limiter for 5 minutes. Every morning. At 6am. Then leave redlining it in every gear.

I think I could have made a case for justifiable homicide.

What's the term for rolling coal if it's done to a person? On my way to work yesterday a bro dozer weaved through traffic, started to pass me on the left, then lifted and slammed back on the throttle as his exhaust got next to my window. Just loving why? Not a bumper sticker on my car, I wasn't holding him up or cut him off.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yes mama, but it's my truck. I'll do it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'm just imagining them looking at their work and thinking "yep time for some bondo" and then getting the small can.

Nailed it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Motronic posted:

Ab-so-lutely

There are several examples of climate control panels, I think the rear lights of a Zonda are off of some Daewoo. The Esprit had Corolla tail lights. The 944 might as well have had Volvo tail lights. And then the tons of things with Hella round rear/marker lights - everything from heavy equipment to hypercars.

Lights are hard. And expensive, because they need to be certified.

Oh my god I had no idea and I'll never be able to unsee that.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ror posted:

My platform goes in the other direction, we make an amendment to the Constitution that guarantees the right to drive cars like your right to own a gun. Let Stevie Wonder finally take his Rolls-Royce on public roads. Just like you can legally shoot in national forests and on BLM land, you can now do powerslides and burnouts in them too. Things like monster trucks and killdozers require a special permit of course.

Muffler sales will plummet when they take a year, finger prints, and a $200 tax stamp.

We do already have people sawing cars in half then welding them back together here though so were ready on that front.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

If you can find anything more MURICA than a lifted truck that smells like mcdonald's french fries I'm all ears.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Gotta be honest if I wasn't going to fix the leaks I'd feel a lot better about dripping water all over the place vs coolant.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I hate how I try to make a turn out of a business and try to look both ways to clear the intersection and have a big dumb SUV or truck pull up next to me, entirely blocking my view, either requiring me to pull into the intersection a little to see around them, or wait until they go.

And it always feels like I'm making an easy right turn and they're having to cross multiple lanes for their left turn so I'm just waiting forever and can see the people behind me getting more and more visibly frustrated.

When they finally go and I can see there's traffic coming and oh look another door handle and tow mirror guess we wait.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Anyone been following the whole EPA wants to ban the entire car aftermarket thing? I just saw it and depending on who reads it seems to go from "just quit rolling coal" to "all motorsports based on production cars will die".

I'm fine with the epa cracking down on smoke tunes but also don't want to see aftermarket ecus get the axe as a side effect.

Lot of smart goons in AI and I'd love to hear your $.02

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Oh hey, exhaust chat. Time for my favorite YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWTARjxiqlo
In summary, get the physically largest muffler you can fit (that is a flow through design).

This video is great and going in my list next to that old school diff video for explaining car stuff to the less car literate.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Powershift posted:

Thats a Fast and the Furious quote

Imagine 4 balls on the lip of a trunk...

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Only plausible reason I've heard for 89 is a car that took 87 having it's compression bumped by carbon buildup enough to ping on it. I don't think that's really a thing anymore though.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Powershift posted:

My favorite thing is when someone asks a basic question, and the only responses are "use the search, idiot" and the only results in the search are other people being told "use the search, idiot"

BlackMK4 posted:

The messed up part is that search is broken by design to drive engagement.

Haha, yeah, these are all super, super legit points. Problem is you can't just Google or look at the stickied threads to figure out your super common issue. Looking at old forums is also a sea of dead links / dead photobucket / etc.

Ahahahhaha Honda tech is the worst and any other Honda forum makes it look good by comparison.

Add in "I searched but all the links and photos are dead please help" being the last post in a 20 page post chain that's 15 years old and I wound up going down a wrong brakes rabbit hole.

Also don't forget people posting dead wrong stuff as gospel because they read it somewhere else from someone who read it somewhere else forever.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Gotta be honest when AI gets all crimp don't solder there's usually a link to a NASA wiring standards pdf.

I can also count on the fingers of one hand the number of times a soldered wiring splice has bit me and or a car I've worked on with the fingers of one hand. I have lost count of the number of problems with twisted, twisted and taped, twisted and heat shrunk, and crimped, and loving wire nuts but that doesn't count, have caused.

Crimped with heat shrink though has batted 100% but is the least common I've seen.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It's just no crimper at all from my experience. Just mushed with side cutters or vise grips.

But I also was only looking when there were electrical problems so what's the opposite of survivor bias?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Church of the lifted truck.

I am the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Why are poo poo roads such a thing? I know trucks tear them up, and so does salt, and it's a difficult thing that takes special equipment but still. It's not like there's a shortage of crap roads so we have to do a bad job so we can do it again.

YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING!!! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!