Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Blood Magnet posted:

I fantasize about a world where diamond plate doesn't exist.
I fantasize about a world where trophies go to people who deserve them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Also, i-MiEV is the most annoying name for a car ever since the Cee'd and the MiTo.
So apparently you haven't heard about the hot-hatch version of the Cee'd:

pro_cee'd

:barf:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Geoj posted:

You cretins wouldn't know art if it bit you in the rear end :smugbert:
...As evidenced by the bite in the rear end they get every time they sit in the thing. :gonk:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Chickenbisket posted:

I'm sure its just a random coincidence. Indiana license plate format is ###XXX so there are thousands of vehicles running around with various claims of high BHP.

...But surely there's a Mustang with 105 BHP? :v:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I'd like it, but the whole front end forward of the A pillar looks like it's been raised about 4 inches so the proportions are just hosed. Smooth it out and get some decent wheels and it'd probably look awesome though.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Dr.Smasher posted:

I think that belongs in the Awesome thread. That may not be the consensus in this thread, but I'd drive it.

Gat-dayum, that is a piece of work. :aaa: Make the top of the tailgate flat, not curved like the original trunklid, and finish up the paint, I'd drive the gently caress out of that.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Those seats. :gonk:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I hope you'll forgive me for thinking that was three images, of which my retarded internet allowed only the second to load.

And yes, I would drive the hell out of that. Ironically, of course.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Hmm, interesting. I'd always thought the numbers like 80 or 120 or whatever meant the driver should be going this many km/hr.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

That's the most underwhelming response to that sort of thing I could have imagined. Not "My ears or still ringing" or "I"m still picking bits of exhaust out of my garage floor" or even "yup, that was me"... Nope. Just "Hi :)"

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Yet again Lexus has managed to crash a car even before they've taken pictures of it for the concept render. You'd think they'd get tired of having their stuff ruined like that...

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Nothing to see here :downs:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I can't speak for the taurus, but they certainly weren't worse than an EA/EB. At least they had a primitive VVT system that didn't suck, and the fundamental bodyshell is decent by ford standards (and still in use!).
Eh? It's a bit aged by now, isn't it? What model/s?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Every falcon since the AU has used the AU body shell. The more you know.

Go out in the street and check, if you don't believe me.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the Taurus. ...lol go out in the street, that's a long swim.

I actually used to have a Taurus from that generation too. I liked it

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Slavvy posted:

It's a falcon.

:downsgun: This is what I get for a quick glance at the picture and wondering why nobody mentioned a Cavalier.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Zeether posted:

I think we've already established that bosozoku stuff is too awesome to be considered terrible.
The truth behind this is that they are deliberately trying to make their cars as obnoxious as possible, just for the fun of it, rather than the corrupted ideas of performance and visual enhancements that created most of the cars in this thread.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

i are a dumb :downs:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

kastein posted:

I realized I have no idea when Chevy stopped using distributors... and yeah, no distributors on an 04. It was either coil-near-plug for the V8 (I believe) or waste-spark coilpacks on the 3800 and 3400.
Don't know about cars or the S10, but at least for the full-size trucks, which I'd expect would be using technology that stands the test of time (i.e. outdated) I'm pretty sure they started using... um... something that's not a distributor :downs: in 1996 when they introduced the Vortec line. I've got a '94 with the TBI 350 and it's got a distributor.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

He's obviously a couple on Neons short of a proper sign,

Well done. :golfclap:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Noeland posted:

This doesn't belong in this thread. A new Ranchero is a wonderful thing and not at all terrible, regardless of who manufactured it (this coming from a man who hates the mustang for no obvious reason).

...Um, that's not a Mustang cut down into a truck. That's a Ranger with a Mustang front end put on it. It's in the right thread.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Powershift posted:

edit: here's the proper way to transport a BMW X6

Fixed that for ya.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

From what I've found, that's specific to the turbo engine, the N/A ones are better.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

xzzy posted:

In the 80's and 90's it was super common to get trapped in a cloud of diesel exhaust if you were behind a semi at a stop light. It definitely wasn't an omnipresent haze, but it stunk the place up when it came in through the vents.
Yup. I'm lucky this only happened once, but what do you do with a school bus during the summer? You open the windows. All of them. That lets in a lot of air, see. Or maybe you don't see, but instead you go blind, because all that air you're letting in just turned black since that dump truck next to you got a green light to turn left.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 9, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

powderific posted:

Speaking of Taurus wagons (or Sables in this case), this parks near me sometimes:

The important question here is, did they wire up the rear window defrost?

BTW, whoever it was that said the '96 Mercury Sable is the ovalest thing ever, how can you say that when the Taurus had an oval rear windshield and the Sable didn't?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Counterpoint: when low riders can't clear dips in the road

Counter-counterpoint:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

This road right here is why sideways Suburbans are the best Suburbans. Had a friend along for that today, his face was priceless.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I was just reading this article about Toyota trucks and I just read that they were getting 109hp out of a 2.0 liter engine in 1973. I don't know if that's SAE Net or whatever it's supposed to be these days, but seriously, VW still gets 115 out of their 2.0. Ford gets 160 in the Focus. :psyduck:

I mean it's not like VW just can't build powerful engines, their shiny new 1.8T was a hoot in the new Jetta. I have low standards, but seriously, why?

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 11, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

88h88 posted:

...it's not like you can make them uglier.
This is actually kinda true though TBH. I do not find this particular example to be significantly less visually attractive than a normal RX-8. Which is saying a lot because holy crap this is ugly... and I'd never thought about the aesthetics of a normal RX-8 before, but come to think of it they're actually pretty ugly. Not in an in-your-face "aesthetic statement against all that is car" kind of way like a Juke or something, just... thanks but no thanks, I'll take one of those awful 90's Camaros. They actually look pretty sleek, truck engine or not.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Stop trying to justify the trike in terms of fun. The reason someone would buy it is because he loving wants one. No, I don't use my Suburban's 10,000 towing capability, and no I don't often use the 9-person seating capacity, and no I don't actually need to go off road every once in a while... so why do I have it? Because I loving wanted one. That's it. That is all the reason there needs to be. That's as logical as it gets. So hush.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Wow, there must be some absolutely brutal repair bills happening because of this; new seatbelt prices are absolutely retarded.
2001 Suburban.

New seat belt retractor: $283.58
Labor: $318.50

Gotta love it when not only is the entire seat belt assembly inside the seat, but there's an airbag in the way. "I just tried to fix the seat belt but then the seat exploded."

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

angryhampster posted:

I'm guessing blast protection for when an explosion already HAS been thrown underneath.
I doubt it. The way MRAPs work is by being way up off the ground with a V-shaped underside to deflect the blast, not being low and absorbing it because that would just blow it the gently caress up like all the Humvees did earlier on in Iraq.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I like putting my 2014 Corolla LE in sport mode :shepface:

dissss posted:

Is this sarcasm or are you being serious?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

What on earth is going on here? Is it just that the Blazer chassis is utterly incapable of fitting the Audi body so they just stuck it on top?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

80 mph speed limits had me pegging the 85mph speedo on my old Suburban on a regular basis when I lived in Texas... but let me tell you about turning an hour and 20 minute drive into a 55 minute drive in California, in the middle of the day, without a cop to be found. Also sideways at 60 on dirt roads abusing the lack of speed limit signs, and loving around in awful mud. I didn't deserve to get out of California without a speeding ticket, the way I drove.

Aaand something was off balance so it was pretty much undrivable between 70 and 80. Above that it was tolerable but 75 was really annoying, especially considering 65 mph speed limits and my general limit-plus-ten rule. Didn't stop me from giving my right foot a good workout, though. 5500 pounds, 210 hp before twenty years of neglect, and a 42 gallon gas tank back when it cost $4/gal. That poor truck was the greatest piece of poo poo imaginable.

edit:

Wojcigitty posted:

Also, a 96 Chevy Express van hits fuel cutoff at 100.
:stare: You, sir, are the very best breed of utter idiot. An SUV is one thing, but a drat van... I salute you and your idiocy.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 5, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

88h88 posted:

I found this on there. I'd be terrified to drive it over 5mph because it looks like the suspension would collapse under the slightest stress.
Good lord that looks flimsy as gently caress :gonk:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So since we're making GBS threads up the poo poo thread with cool stuff,

Hellcat on space savers.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

Also let me tell you about how superior vinyl is... :v:
What even comes with vinyl these days except trucks? I just looked it up and even the Versa comes with cloth seats standard.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Count Freebasie posted:

Drove past a Smart car in Boston with license plate: SMAAHT

Pretty funny.
Seriously though, American accents are a lot milder than they used to be for the most part, but there's this guy at work that for a little while at first I thought he was making some weird faux-British accent since he jokes around a lot, but the accent never stopped and eventually I found out he was actually from Massachusetts and the accent is actually real.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Root Bear posted:

Over-sized, color matched custom wheels sure seem like an awesome idea until that first unexpected bump comes along:

I couldn't find the other pics I thought I took of this car; but both rear quarters had damage like that, and I remember the owner saying some ridiculous thousand-plus dollar amount when I asked if he'd gotten an estimate for it. :shepspends:
Well ya know what they say about a fool and his money...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

kastein posted:

We start out with a note from the bodywork and appearance modifications group
My imagination can be a real pain in the rear end. I can't stop hearing that thing fall the gently caress apart. Crispy metally rust noises.