Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

FatCow posted:

I wonder how race gas prices compare across countries. In theory they should be fairly similar since they aren't taxed (in the US).

E: Whoops, didn't see this was for race gas; still going to leave my post though.

There is a fair bit of variation across many countries, especially large ones like Canada and the US. A lot of that has to do with the cost of transportation, as well as states/provinces having different levels of taxation on gas, as well as a couple other major factors. For example, here in Canada, the lowest prices on average right now are in Edmonton, Alberta at $1.148 per litre (or US$4.33/gallon). The highest price I've seen in any major city is in Montreal, which is averaging $1.416 per litre (US$5.33/gallon).

Why such a big difference? Two reasons. First, Quebec taxes gasoline differently than Alberta; Quebec charges a harmonised provincial/federal sales tax (Alberta only charges federal sales tax) in addition to their higher provincial fuel tax. Second, refineries in Alberta pay for crude oil at a much discounted rate to Quebec; in Alberta, they typically pay something between the WTI and Western Canadian Select benchmarks, while in Quebec, they're largely stuck paying Brent price, which is much, much higher than either.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Crustashio posted:

If it threw in a BMW bashing it would be the perfect autoblog comment.

BMWs don't need to be bashed at all you see because everyone knows they're all slow overcomplicated pieces of poo poo I have no idea why someone would buy a 3-series over a Mustang you must be a badge worshipping douchebag

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Crustashio posted:

No, that's a jalopnik comment. Literally every car more expensive than a mustang v6/v8/boss 302 = JUST GET A MUSTANG

If it was a real Jalopnik comment, my name would be "MrChips shifts into Sixth Gear because Top Gear is copywrited" and I would be making an overly-self-aware attempt at the Commenter of the Day by writing a largely unfunny story about how a Mustang is literally the only car anyone should ever own.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Fermunky posted:

Being that I've lived in Florida since I was 4, I have no idea what this means for a car after something like this. Does this usually immediately gently caress a car up? I would imagine the weight of all that alone would be enough to damage something...

That much snow isn't all that heavy, to be honest, even if it's the wet, slushy kind. If it's the light, fluffy kind of snow, there probably isn't much damage in the interior; it's just going to be a massive bitch to completely clean out.

If it is the wet stuff, there could be a lot of damage.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Faithiest posted:

The original BMW 3 series was a two door car exclusively.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/12/and-then-there-was-four/

As much as Jack Baruth is a miserable, whinging, pompous, overstuffed anal wart of a human being, he's absolutely right in this case. People look at me weird when I say that the 3-Series should only be a coupe, and that it was orignally just that.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

This thread is slowly becoming a confessions thread.

Everyone with a silver car, fess up now.

I do.

The problem is that if you're buying German cars, they basically only come in various shades of gray. It's a rare and wonderful day that I see a 3-Series in something like Topaz Blue.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Lum posted:

Apparently taken on the M4 motorway in South Wales, UK

Audi Panzerkampfwagen A.IV

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

^^^I don't know what you're talking about, that's pretty awesome and I'll hear nothing more of it. :colbert:

donut posted:

E60 5-series wheels. Probably just a convenient replacement.

Wasn't that generation of Honda Odyseey the one that came with Michelin PAX tires (which are essentially impossible to find, or are ridiculously expensive)? If it is, it stands to reason you'd try to find a set of non-PAX wheels so you don't have deal with that headache.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

So I don't know if I'm late to the party or not, but I just found out today that the guy who was responsible for the design of the PT Cruiser also designed the Chevy HHR.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Don't kid yourself, Calgary drivers are just as bad, if not worse.

Really, Albertans as a whole are completely loving clueless on the road.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Pretty sure this qualifies as terrible car stuff:

You know what's not sad about it? That car is worth so much there's no way it won't be rebuilt. :)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

parrhesia posted:

Yeah, it's in good hands already. The dude who crashed it is a mechanic for one of the premier Merc restoration shops in Germany. :v:

Hope it's not a customer car then, or that he's found not at fault.

You know what? I'm gonna go further than I did originally and say I'm happy to see a smashed up Gullwing. Because it means someone is actually driving it and enjoying it, instead of wrapping it in plastic and burying it in their car collection forevermore.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Aureus posted:

I always thought of the 355 as the most boring Ferrari...

The 355 is pretty exciting, if only because it was the first Ferrari in a long time that wasn't a steaming heap of poo poo (with a couple exceptions). People forget all too often how terrible the Ferraris of the late 70s-early 90s were (again, with a couple exceptions). It was the car that the 512/Testarossa and the 348 could only have hoped to be.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

anime and cars posted:

I'm pretty sure its on around 250k miles now last time it was featured in evos 'fast fleet' also it had been crashed and was in for another respray/engine build

I thought that EVO's Murcielago was finally written off a few months ago?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Das Volk posted:

I got in a few road rage incidents when I was younger, but nothing ever really interesting enough to be worth mentioning. I've found that being patient when there's no space on the road and waiting for it to open up is the best solution. Even if someone gets mad it's not like they're going to be able to keep up.

One interesting incident with a tailgater happened when I had my white M3. I was on my way up to Sac when I passed a bubble-generation Taurus tailgating a work truck on the right. Undertaking is pretty common as people in CA don't yield reliably, so I thought nothing of it and kept going. The bubble Taurus starts tailgating me a few miles later at 85 MPH, so I figure he's just a jackass, drop it in 3rd and disappear. Almost half an hour later I'm cruising along at 85 again and this shitbox Taurus comes rocking up, a tiny two-light lightbar behind the mirror illuminated. My first thought is "this guy's a fake" because that was its only distinguishing feature, and unlike all other marked/unmarked CA cop cars, this one didn't have the CA EXEMPT plates.

So I pull over, leaving the motor running, crack the passenger window and I see a guy wearing half a CHP jumper over a wifebeater get out of the Taurus. Instantly I think something is weird because the jumper looks like some lovely non-issue thing, the guy looks like he just got up and the only explanation I can think of is, this guy's a trainee and wants to play Mr. Badass Cop. He comes up and spins some yarn about how he had to drive that POS "over a hundred thirty to catch up" :bahgawd: and he wants my license and registration. I ask to see his badge, noticing he isn't wearing anything but that wifebeater and a singlet - he deflects and this goes on for a minute - finally I tell him I'm going to call the Solano county sheriffs with his description and plate if he doesn't cough up some ID. Between curse words I hear something about getting a ticket in the mail, which of course didn't happen. If there's any justice in the world he got bounced out for being late to the academy or something.

Did the "cop" call you a chicken fucker?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

That's terrible, but it would be hilarious to take that car to a Honda dealership and tell the service people that "my car is doing a funny thing please help" with a confused and concerned look on your face.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Let me guess, this guy is the owner.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

-S- posted:

Simply because she a) wants a convertible and b) inexplicably likes the way it looks. Believe me, I've spent 3 days telling her how terrible they are, but am apparently "being mean to her." I would honestly be fine buying her ANYTHING but that. Marital advice ITT.

Steer her into a Nissan Murano CrossCabriolet. Don't do this. At least it won't be a terrible car to begin with, just moderately bad. Seriously, don't do this.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Mooseykins posted:

Can't speak for the others, but that one at least looks like they're running the standard wheels to move the truck, i asked about this a while ago and was told that the big offroad tractor wheels aren't suitable for the road, so the truck is driven like that to and from offroad events and the "proper" wheels/tyres are fitted there.

That said, after seeing those other pics, who the gently caress knows..

Either that or his 26" rent-to-own dudebro wheels got repo'ed.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

ultimateforce posted:

I have over $4000 in that pile of parts.

And you'll have $1000 more in it again before you sell it all for $2000!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Linedance posted:

This is the most offensive vehicle I have ever seen.

Hey look it's a Poopmobile

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

nurrwick posted:

I'll defer to community judgment but I believe this is horrible:

My place of employment has sprung for at least two chrome-rimmed, tinted-windshield, custom-logos-on-the-seats golf carts.

Sorry dude golf carts, no matter how stupid and done up they are, loving own. There aren't many vehicles out there you can completely hoon around in with little or no consequence.

That is, if you avoid doing donuts until the engine blows up, but what do I know about that?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

....then what the gently caress is it?

That roofline looks like one of those old Impreza coupes. If that's what it is, good grief...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Agreed. I love good straight-six, but that M4 ain't it. All sorts of disconcerting raspy, farty noises coming out of it. Definitely still needs some exhaust tuning. How does something like that get past the superior German auditory experience engineers?

That video sounds a lot different to the other M4 clips I've heard so far...and not for the better. I have a feeling they didn't set their mics up properly.

Chinatown posted:

I've always thought that BMW goes way overboard regarding muffling the exhaust of their vehicles. Are European car noise laws very strict given the more cramped nature of cities or something?

Yes, hugely so. That's why you see all sorts of cars (including the E46) with active exhaust systems these days.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Das Volk posted:

I've been meaning to attach my GoPro to the boot lid and get the exhaust nice and hot to see what happens. There's lots of popping and grumbling on overrun and such with the exhaust modified, and while I assume it's too long to ignite I'm sure it's worth checking to make sure ;)

If you do that please get a good microphone. GoPros have the worst mics ever.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

So there's a guy on my street who owns a Mk4 Supra, which he just pulled out of winter storage. Only now it has gaudy as gently caress orange wheels and quite possibly the largest tire stretch I've seen in person. Gonna try to get some pictures tomorrow.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

Why not just put it at the front of the engine bay like literally every other manufacturer so you don't have lean across the dirty engine :psyduck:

Well for one the new Twingo is rear-engined...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

As an E46 BMW owner, PCVs are the worst. Nothing like living in fear of your oil separator freezing shut/open and blowing up every gasket in your engine/hydrolocking your engine with oil.

And no, the cold climate version doesn't magically fix the problem either.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

kastein posted:

That sounds like BMW owners should be hating oil separators, not PCVs.

No the rest of the system is crap; all the hose connections are made of lovely brittle plastic (that I've seen break on installation, never mind five or ten years down the road), and the system is designed in such a way that condensation collects inside (specifically in the oil separator) in very cold weather, freezing and either cracking the separator, or freezing the internal check valve shut (bad) or open (REALLY bad). The "cold weather CCV" version merely consists of insulated hoses; it doesn't actually solve the condensation problem.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

You know it would be almost forgivable to have that Rube Goldberg contraption of chains and tensioners on the back of the engine if it would last for 150-200,000 miles. But since it's Audi, you know damned well they're good for 50k tops.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

GTi_guy posted:

It's on Jalopnik. Apparently the mechanic was driving it. I would say someone is out of a job this afternoon.

C'mon this is Canada we're talking about; as a civilised nation we don't fire people for things that obviously aren't their fault.

Being a million-dollar car, I can pretty much guarantee that F40 is getting fixed.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I came real close to ordering this one

But I don't think I had the right scumbag car to pull it off

That's a plate begging for a Rover.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

kastein posted:

I suppose the thing starting up and bouncing off the rev limiter would make a pretty sweet alarm clock. Not gonna sleep through that one.

You're assuming that all the computers and wiring harnesses haven't been immersed in water. I'd be surprised if they could start predictably after that; imagine trying to explain that to your boss..."Sorry sir, my alarm clock's ECU wigged out and it didn't start this morning."

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Zahir Rana. May want to look around about that particular F40 before...

No that was his Enzo/FXX replica he drove into the ocean.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but he had a carbon fiber wrap on that f40 last year.

The irony of carbon fiber wrapping a carbon fiber car is definitely not lost on me.

E: Has anyone ever figured out how Zahir actually makes money? I can't imagine his little shop in the 'hood is all that profitable that he can afford to buy (and ruin) million-dollar cars like he does.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Powershift posted:

Now let's get a picture from the other angle that shows they're all parked there because the car in front of them is high centered on a speedbump.

edit: here's the wrong way to transport a BMW X6

I imagine in a month it will (at least outwardly) look like nothing ever happened to it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Oh God between that cheesy cover of "Sweet Child O' Mine" and the Michael Bay CGI, I was pretty much doomed to laugh until I cried from the start.

e: hahaha there's a "squish" sound at the point of impact!

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 20, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

Are these universally poo poo? It was the one car had on my "to-test drive" list and never got around to before buying a Fiesta ST.

It sounds like they are universally poo poo. I read a story a while back that 60-70% of Darts rolling off the production line needed extensive rework before they passed quality control. Granted, it is normal for some cars coming off the line to need rework before they pass inspection, but according to the story the Dart was experiencing problems far beyond what would be considered a normal rate.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

And, it would appear, about twenty pounds of load-bearing Bondo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Guinness posted:

Why? Because BMW thinks knows people will buy them and platform sharing is cheap.

Fixed that for you, and yes the 4 GC is the best looking of the bunch.