Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm not averse to buying this version rather than waiting for the DLC for the PS3, I just need to know about performance and stability. The problem is that From isn't even really very good at programming for console platforms, and as far as I know this is their first PC game ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SixtySix posted:

they did the King's Field games too, have some FAITH (get it??!?!!)
There's King's Field game on the PC?

edit: Just so we're all on the same page, Dark Souls is one of my top five games ever. I've put over 150 hours in it (probably trailing only behind Super Robot Wars Alpha 3, though that doesn't track time played), and I bet I am dwarfed by many people in the old thread.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 23, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What I need to know is how CPU dependent it is, that's the bottleneck on my laptop.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think it's the From mystery engine that is held together with toothpicks and bubble gum inside.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I really dislike this trailer. The music is okay but the trailer is edited like an amateur music montage video and it doesn't showcase why the game is actually interesting in any way.
The problem is that the things that are best about the game are slow. In a sense it's a very relaxing game. You know that the game means for you to take your time, and die as many times as you need to to learn the environment.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I imported the game originally so I was one of the first people here to play, and honestly not having anyone to ask questions or share experiences with at first was the best way to do the beginning of the game, I think. Once you get it, consider giving it at least a few hours before looking in this thread again.

edit: someone needs to find out right quick how the hell the low FPS "feature" interacts with Blighttown.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
A Japanese guy put together this movie-style trailer for it, I think it's pretty slick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-62fhmWDkx8

edit: beaten

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shima Honnou posted:

The real question is whether or not Dark Souls will run at a constant 30 or not.
It's not like either of the console versions did, and it's not just Blighttown, several other areas got their frame rates shot to hell. Those tree monsters in the forest did it especially.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Republicans posted:

How about the 1024x720 internal resolution? Any chance that can be sharpened up a bit?
Are you talking about modding or what? Who knows what that would even do to multiplayer anyway. I hope people aren't thinking of modding the game and just playing it offline the whole time, that's missing a big chunk of the fun.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Khobra posted:

Is there an easy way to hook up a PS3 controller for the PC version?
Wired, relatively yeah (though still far from officially supported). Wireless is a complete pain in the rear end and involves custom bluetooth drivers from the darkest China that make all your other bluetooth devices not work, at least a year ago or so when I last tried it. Much better to get a 360 controller.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 23, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shima Honnou posted:

Another way to get the PS3 controller feel is to get a Logitech controller, or to buy a PS2-to-USB adapter and use a wired PS2 controller if you have one.
Yeah, this is better as well. There's a 360 controller emulator that I forget the name of that I used before I started using a proper 360 controller that I remember being completely problem-free.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dreadwroth posted:

I am really tempted to grab this on Steam, it looks like the kind of hardcore fantasy survival(or not so much) horror to beat my face against. It is one thing to accept that dying a lot is an intentional game mechanic, and quite another if it is just crap design.
It is absolutely an intentional game design. I don't know any other game where what happens when you die is considered so carefully.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Terminally Bored posted:

I've been waiting to play this on the PC since I saw the reviews of the console versions. I just got my key from GMG, gotta wait till midnight.

So I have few questions:
- how does the game hold up in terms of replayability?
- is there any missable content/alternate paths?
- is there a new game+?
- is this "naked guy with a club" class (I've been reading the manual) basically a DS version of the tourist from Nethack?
- no one ever finishes the game just once
- oh god yes
- oh god yes
- dunno about nethack but your starting class is not so important in the long run

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I dunno if there's anything you can do to make the game look good close-up. Even if I get it on the PC I'll still be playing it on my TV from the sofa.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SixtySix posted:

by mod community I don't mean hex editor PvP shitlords
I'm definitely still worried about this. I don't care about PvP so much but I don't want unkillable wallhackers invading my game every single time I unhollow myself.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Someone quick as a wink run down to Blighttown and confirm that it doesn't have a frame rate problem anymore.

edit: One thing I hate about my laptop is the specs never line up with posted system requirements. This is a core i5-2410M, can anyone tell me if that's ok?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 24, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do you know if any of the big review sites are preparing reviews for this, or is it being ignored?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

apophenium posted:

It looks like it might have been trying to use my N64 controller that I had plugged in. That would have been interesting.
You have an N64 controller plugged into your PC.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sloth Socks posted:

Well, my wired 360 controller isn't working and I'm not the only one: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2900018

I am gonna try to unplug my keyboard and try it. Which is ridiculous, but whatever for now.
Welp, I gotta wait until that is resolved at least, I don't intend to play the game any other way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's a trick, get an axe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Blacktoll posted:

Holy poo poo, I just defeated that first big knight guy whose guarding a ring and looked what he dropped.

You're pretty lucky, that's one of the best swords in the game I think, provided you can lift and swing it.

edit: I love how it looks like a normal longsword, and black knights can swing it like a normal longsword, but to you it's the size and weight of a claymore.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 24, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DoubleWelp posted:

Can anyone describe the matchmaking From promised? A friend of mine playing the game says there's nothing of the sort.
I thought that was just for the special PvP arena.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rookersh posted:

So every bonfire I find will give me 5 Estus Flasks right?

And if I "Kindle" them, they'll boost up to more flasks?

Kindled the first fire I found in Blighttown, and it's now giving me 10 Flasks every time I go to it. Wondering if I should be mainly focusing on Kindling the main fires for each zone, or easy to get to ones or something.

Does being human get you any inherent benefit? So far seems like Kindling everything would be a solid use of Humanity.
There are specific bonfires at hub areas that you will want to upgrade, while others are kind of peripheral and aren't worth it. Unfortunately which is which won't be immediately obvious, but will be once you start opening up shortcuts and stuff.

Being human means you can summon people to help you, so yes, it is important. Humanity itself (the number in the upper left) affects your resistance to cursing. You'll really like cursing once you run into it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

">Discussion on numerous hacking boards that it will be possibly in the next week at the latest of BEING ABLE to invade someones game even if they're not Human."

What the gently caress :(
It's only been out for an hour...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lysandus posted:

Oh man being summoned is such a fun way to farm souls.
I love helping people with co-op, it's my favorite part of the game. Too bad at least on the consoles, you're going to have like a 25% successful summon rate (not that you can tell from the being summoned side, all you know is that you stand around for ages waiting).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sheep posted:

I got it by just shooting the head on PS3 like four weeks ago though?

Also :lol: at some German fixing the resolution before the game even releases. Way to completely show up the developers.
That seems very odd to me, since the sword IS its tail.

Blacktoll posted:

So... I just got the Black Knight Greatsword. Is this thing worth getting 32 strength for?
Yes.

Did they jack up the drop rates for black knight weapons? That's two people in two pages that got them and I have never gotten one before the very end of the game myself.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

Unplayable at this point, might ask for a refund.
That's why I am so hesitant. I've already gotten one refund from Steam due to bad performance (GTA4), there's no way they would offer me another one. I wish there was a demo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Omnides posted:

I have no idea what people are going on about technical problems. I played for two hours straight and my experience was flawless. I suppose I should mention I use a 360 controller.

MrTheDevious posted:

As for performance, I'm using an nVidia 560 and didn't even have slowdown in Blighttown while using the resolution patch, so it seems to be purely an AMD issue
These make me feel a little better. Man, I want to play that new content so bad...but when you buy a game on Steam it is with you until the end of time, if you made a mistake it will sit there laughing at you on your games list forever, and god knows I have enough of those already.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Carwash posted:

Unplayable with a Nvidia 650M. I really reallyyyyyyyyyy want to play this game :(.
Fuuuuuck. So much for that. 540m here.

edit: Geforce GT 540m that is, I assume one step down from yours? I don't keep track of video card names.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just need to know how CPU-limited it is. Games that are CPU-limited run badly (my laptop has an inferior heatpipe system and won't go above 2.3ghz or so when under the stress of running a game), for example the Witcher 2, and games that are not run great, for example Skyrim.

edit: I guess that doesn't really matter if it's so shittily written that even almost identical computer setups get wildly different performance.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gazaar posted:

Is there a way to get more cracked red eye thangs or do you get a full time one like in Demon's Souls?
Yeah. It's in a very interesting place that can either be terrifying or hilarious to get to depending on how you approach it.

It's hilarious for me because I can't stop laughing at harpies falling off a spiral staircase to their death

edit: wait, maybe I'm confusing it with something else. It's been many months and I am not a big PvPer to begin with.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 24, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lain posted:

I have a PC that runs GPU heavy games pretty flawlessly and CPU heavy games terribly. This runs quite bad for me, so I would guess it's fairly CPU heavy. But it's hard to tell with this game since people are giving very different performance reports.
In general, can anyone clue me in to how to translate CPU spec requirements meant for desktop PCs into laptops? When I read "Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 GHz+" it sure SEEMS similar to mine (i5 2410m) but it often isn't.

Rookersh posted:

Do I only get one White Soapstone, or should I be dropping this stuff everywhere I go?

How does Co-op work anyway. Drop it near bosses and wait for people to call on me? Drop it anywhere and wait for people to call? How exactly do I do this.

I want to be Grossly Incandescent.
You only need one soapstone, you use it to WRITE your summon sign on the ground.

And yeah, you write a summon sign and wait for someone to summon you. Some areas of the game are better for certain levels, there's a list in the OP.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 24, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

I loving love the character creator.

All hail the frog queen!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Lord of Hats posted:

Daaaaaamn I suck at this game. So far the best I've done is making it to the Taurus Demon and then promptly dying.

Is there a way to know how much strength is needed to one-hand a weapon? Going spear without a shield is kind of iffy.
Yeah, it should say in the weapon specs down near the bottom of the screen. Any requirements that aren't met will be in red, and for strength that means met by just one arm.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Blacktoll posted:

Did everyone get the Gargoyle Helm after defeating the Gargs?
That's by far the most common thing to get I think.

edit: wait nm, I think the tail axe is more common.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The irony of that is that EB gave me a free Dark Souls themed mouse with my copy.
That seems like less irony and more pure spite to me, from the sound of it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

The tail axe does not have a randomized drop rate, you either get it or you don't depending on what you do. (If you couldn't tell, I am trying to avoid using any spoilers)
Oh yeah, now I remember.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Moist von Lipwig posted:

So I bought this for PC because I loved Demon Souls on PS3 (I no longer have a PS3) and it looks beautiful with the resolution fix but is loving unplayable without a controller, any recommendations?
Buy a controller. Like has been said six times per page on the last four pages, including this one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Moist von Lipwig posted:

No I meant recommendations for a controller? I'm used to PS3 controllers but I don't think they work with PCs very well, right?
There are ways but as someone who tried for years to find a good replacement for a 360 controller, I broke down and bought one and had no problems after that. It's what is natively supported, and it's a good controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is anyone NOT using the resolution fix and running at 1920x1080 or something? I don't even intend to use it, since I'd be running it on my TV anyway, so when people report bad performance or bugs is it always because of that?

• Locked thread