Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
If you are in a single ship in space combat have each person doing something. For multi weapon ships have a person shooting each weapon. The pilot steers, while someone with mechanics can run repair checks. Anyone with computers can roll to help the dudes on the guns or the pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Tendales posted:

Space Combat is one of the game's weak points, sadly. Well, to be fair, every Star Wars game has lovely space combat. It's just kind of the nature of the beast; if you've got five people on one ship, what are they all going to do?

For advantages and threats, you might try making a quick list of good/bad things that can happen in each scene. Maybe stormtroopers could bust in, maybe a power conduit could explode, whatever. Then, whenever you've got advantage or threat that you don't know what to do with, you can just grab something off that list.

Don't worry too much about players reading stuff off their sheets; doing the things your character is good at is part of the game. On the other hand, prompt them to be more than just the character sheet. When they say 'I unlock that door' don't go straight to the roll, say 'Great! How? Do you go straight for the mechanism, or do you go through the terminal?' You don't need them to be method acting all the time, but make sure everything's descriptive enough that everyone can really imagine what's going on.

Yeah, the space battle was let down by me not being completely versed in the different actions/manoeuvres everyone could make, the rules of speed etc. And just general burnout from a slightly-too-long session. Next session I'm making cheat sheets for space combat. And advantage/threat ideas!

At this point I'm mostly trying to keep them from turning it all into numbers. One of my PCs in particular seems like he wants to powergame, so I'm trying to steer him more toward just enjoying the game. Last night, after an extended conferring session in which they still hadn't decided on an action, I told them to just put the sheets down and tell me what they want to do. I figure it gets them out of their sheets and lets them think of something in-story.

Thank y'all for the advice!

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I've written some house-rules for buying second-hand ships with flaws in EotE that I'd like to run past people: On the FFG forums here. Basically, the idea is to allow players to buy ships at a discount with a number of unknown flaws (but the opportunity to identify them)- so parties that want to accelerate their journey up the scale ladder can do it... at a non-monetary cost.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

That looks drat near professionally done, I like it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm looking at maybe picking up an adventure, but does Fantasy Flight really not offer PDF options in the year 2014? I'm in continental Europe and having to import these in English through amazon.co.uk is a real chore, and to the point where it's too expensive.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Drone posted:

I'm looking at maybe picking up an adventure, but does Fantasy Flight really not offer PDF options in the year 2014? I'm in continental Europe and having to import these in English through amazon.co.uk is a real chore, and to the point where it's too expensive.

Fantasy Flight has the rights to make a Star Wars tabletop RPG. They don't have the rights to make a Star Wars game on a digital platform, which a pdf apparently counts as according to whoever wrote their licensing agreement. They literally can't sell a pdf of EotE.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

More people should see this.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Now I really wish I had gotten that last frame to work right.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, if anyone is going to GenCon and needs to get their game on, I'm running six demo games in FFG's RPG room over the course of the con. Two of Edge, two of Age, and two of the new Jedi game. Come throw some dice with me, yo.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, if anyone is going to GenCon and needs to get their game on, I'm running six demo games in FFG's RPG room over the course of the con. Two of Edge, two of Age, and two of the new Jedi game. Come throw some dice with me, yo.

We miss you in irc, we have nobody to blindly support the Wayfarer anymore.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Talkie Toaster posted:

I've written some house-rules for buying second-hand ships with flaws in EotE that I'd like to run past people: On the FFG forums here. Basically, the idea is to allow players to buy ships at a discount with a number of unknown flaws (but the opportunity to identify them)- so parties that want to accelerate their journey up the scale ladder can do it... at a non-monetary cost.

Can't really read that image (even enlarged), but you could consider adding a few "positive" flaws, to balance out the really bad ones. Maybe the PCs get lucky and happen to get a ship that (some part) was really well taken care off/tuned or modded with after-market parts (that might not be obvious to the seller either).

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

We miss you in irc, we have nobody to blindly support the Wayfarer anymore.

I've been busy with work and family stuff. Lots of goddamned deadlines. I'll log in later and tell you guys some more about how you're all wrong about the Wayfarer and how it owns.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I've been busy with work and family stuff. Lots of goddamned deadlines. I'll log in later and tell you guys some more about how you're all wrong about the Wayfarer and how it owns.

Any public word on f and d beta coming out at gencon?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Are you coming to PAX south? Or is anyone from FFG coming?

That's the only con I get to go to this year :(

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I'm not, and I can't speak for the company's attendance. I pretty much just go to GenCon. As for F&D, I'm not at liberty to say.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Pimpmust posted:

Can't really read that image (even enlarged), but you could consider adding a few "positive" flaws, to balance out the really bad ones. Maybe the PCs get lucky and happen to get a ship that (some part) was really well taken care off/tuned or modded with after-market parts (that might not be obvious to the seller either).
Er, it was just supposed to illustrate what the PDF (in the thread linked) looks like. Adding positive or at least neutral flaws would be pretty interesting... ones with tradeoffs like the Y-Wing style stripped down cowls that presumably increase speed at the cost of armour. But at 20 currently, I'm not sure what I'd take out to add, and more than 20 might be a bit excessive? Depends how often people actually buy flawed ships whether I really need 30 or 40 to stop getting too many repeats.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 11, 2014

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Talkie Toaster posted:

Er, it was just supposed to illustrate what the PDF (in the thread linked) looks like. Adding positive or at least neutral flaws would be pretty interesting... ones with tradeoffs like the Y-Wing style stripped down cowls that presumably increase speed at the cost of armour. But at 20 currently, I'm not sure what I'd take out to add, and more than 20 might be a bit excessive? Depends how often people actually buy flawed ships whether I really need 30 or 40 to stop getting too many repeats.

I think it would come up not just when people buy ships, but when they "borrow" them. My players managed to capture the Deep Dark in Beyond the Rim, at least until it got buried under a heap of scrap at the end of the adventure.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Plus it can add some depths to enemy ships that the players may or may not have opportunity to learn about before engaging them (or better yet, introduce themselves through sabotage) to take advantage of/avoid getting slagged by some souped-up beast of a ship.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Picked up my copy of Far Horizons today (The colonist sourcebook). Any requests for information from it?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Picked up my copy of Far Horizons today (The colonist sourcebook). Any requests for information from it?

It'll be a few weeks before I get mine (and the AoR campaign) Anything neat stand out that hasn't been spoiled?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

It'll be a few weeks before I get mine (and the AoR campaign) Anything neat stand out that hasn't been spoiled?

The homestead/base of operations rules are surprisingly robust. Also, almost all of the new weapons are primarily non-lethal; stuff like sonic rifles, net launchers and the like. I'm happy to see more support for not being a murderhobo.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

jivjov posted:

It may have already been mentioned elsewhere, but what are the colonist signature abilities like?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bedurndurn posted:

It may have already been mentioned elsewhere, but what are the colonist signature abilities like?

I'll let the FFG folks themselves answer that one: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4924 One of the previews for the book detailed them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Is the Marshall tree unique, or is it just another repurposed tree, or a new tree with the same old talents just reorganized? Any unique new Talents?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

We're talking about Force and Destiny in #sweote on irc.synirc.net. Join us if you want to talk about it too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Is the Marshall tree unique, or is it just another repurposed tree, or a new tree with the same old talents just reorganized? Any unique new Talents?

Marshall is brand new for the supplement, and yeah it has its own handful of unique talents including Good Cop and Bad Cop.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mustache Ride posted:

We're talking about Force and Destiny in #sweote on irc.synirc.net. Join us if you want to talk about it too.

Is the beta out?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Tomorrow should be the first day you see copies of the books at GenCon. So no. Its not.

:v:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mustache Ride posted:

Tomorrow should be the first day you see copies of the books at GenCon. So no. Its not.

:v:

That's pretty much what I was asking, they haven't actually announced that the beta is at Gencon, to my knowledge.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

Its a brand new spec tree, and yeah it has a handful of new talents, including Good Cop and Bad Cop.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

jivjov posted:

Its a brand new spec tree, and yeah it has a handful of new talents, including Good Cop and Bad Cop.

So I'm guessing a bonus to charm and coercion respectively?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bedurndurn posted:

So I'm guessing a bonus to charm and coercion respectively?

Sorta; when you make a Charm/Negotiate (Good) or Deception/Coercion (Bad) check, you can spend 2 Advantage to straight up upgrade the next Social check an ally makes.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Is the Force and Destiny chat still going?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It is, we're on Morality now (FaD's obligation/Duty), and how much it feels like WoD.

Which is bad.

Edit: well we're on it again, I guess.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 13, 2014

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mustache Ride posted:

It is, we're on Morality now (FaD's obligation/Duty), and how much it feels like WoD.

Which is bad.

Edit: well we're on it again, I guess.

Is the Force and Destiny beta out now?

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
Apparently it is. Some folks have their hands on it, at least.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

No, the book is not out now.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 13, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, supposedly the beta book is hitting at Gen Con, but as of right now all we have to go off of is a couple of people's playtest experiences.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
I stand corrected (and jealous).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

What do you see as the problem with Morality? I thought it provided a little mechanical oomph to a redemption story arc and an acceptable use of Force points. It matters about as much as Obligation and Duty do.

• Locked thread