Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm glad I specifically placed two orders: Book, Dice, GM Kit, and another order with EVERYTHING ELSE that I was getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I've had my Pre-Order placed since March :suicide:

Hurry uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Checked FFG and all the Edge of the Empire products are :siren:SHIPPING:siren:

Should have all our poo poo in the next 2 weeks.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Yup.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

OverloadUT posted:

Has anyone designed their own or found on the web a way to make enemy stat blocks with the dice pools for common actions pre-calculated? Now that I've been running EotE for a few weeks I'm finding it really annoying every time I want to have a dude use a blaster, I have to check to see what kind of weapon it is (light or heavy) then check in a different place to see what his skill is with the weapon, THEN check in a third different place to see what his ability rating in Agility is, and build the dice pool from that.

Seems like a no brainer to have it be listed more like

Equipment
Blaster Pistol: , Damage: 6, etc etc
I mean, lets loving hope there is a glossary/cheatsheet/quick reference in the release edition. Or maybe it's one of those magical charts on the back of the GM screen? That sounds loving terrible, though.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The day has come. CSI just shipped my poo poo! :woop:

Edit: First reports are positive. Also, it's got 40 pages of setting.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 3, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm just blown away by the potential. Have the PCs figured out a way to steal a capitol ship (with a compliment of 24 starfighters, no less) and want to smuggle illegal drugs across the galaxy? No big deal. :psyduck:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It's quite a tome, and looks pretty :3:

Worth it in dead tree format.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Amish Retard posted:

One interesting thing to see at higher levels is that if you're rolling more upgraded dice on both sides, you'll end up with more triumphs and despairs, which don't cancel each other out.

So you could theoretically have battles and events with multiple triumphs and despairs in the same roll. Lots of potential for huge events and explosions and side-effects.

I think it will make high level play even more cinematic, which is even more :black101: and reason to keep playing.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

homullus posted:

(droids aren't people)

You monster. I bet you think restraining bolts are the responsible thing to do, and memory wipes are part of droid maintenance!

...Droid hater.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm aware, and it was largely tongue in cheek, seeing as I mentioned the memory wipes and restraining bolts :P

A Friends PC is a droid, and he is vocal about droid suffrage. No one, including the NPCs, engage him. So overall, perfectly in line with cannon.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

TheTofuShop posted:

The discussion of civilians on the Death Star certainly reminds me of a certain scene in Clerks.

Also, Thanks! This thread has been invaluable for me, I've been running a campaign with 3 buddies of mine, and it's really helped me sort out some of the misconceptions I had about the rules. I haven't GM'd anything in a while before this, and particularly the descriptions of the Range Bands in the thread were fantastic in clearing up the confusion between my players and I.

My friend did roll a Hired Gun Droid, who is quite concerned with Droid Rights and the treatment of Droids. His description of his own motivations and back story were pretty involved, but I didn't know whether this first time player would be so committed to playing the character exactly as he described. Foolish me. In the first encounter, a scummy gangster made some disparaging, snide comment about him being a droid, and he blasted him immediately, no questions asked. Needless to say it had some serious consequences, but from talking to my buddy out of game, he's totally committed to being for Droid Rights. He even has been making it a point to destroy or break any Ionization Blasters we come across in our travels.

I was thinking about the exact same scene. Which also reminded me of this awesomeness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0vsNFO2pDg

And your friend seems like a cool guy to play with, just as long as he doesn't ruin the fun of everyone else in pursuit of his character's story line.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I don't have bad vision, but that is what the FFG provided ones should have been in the first place. They aren't printer friendly at all.

Thank you kind sir!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Basically, this just isn't the setting for Jedi: they don't exist anymore. Force sensitive types, yes, but no one is running around training young Jedi, and the only people that can use the Force have self taught, making their skills limited.

In later books they will develop the Force more, as I'm sure you are aware, but this source book is all about it's name sake: living at the edge of the empire. The gameplay system will support it, but unless you want to completely write and balance your own system, you are just going to have to wait it out.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Nothing is stopping your EotE character's from a)picking up a new specialization or b)enlisting in the Rebel Alliance. I feel like it's going to be amazing as a suppliment for EotE, and a fun setting for a new campaign.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

So I just heard they had Beyond the Rim for sale at GenCon. Anyone get a chance to pick up?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Beyond the Rim is also out. Gotta see if I can swing by and grab my copy this weekend.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Do we have a master list of all products in FFG's Star Wars RPG line (preferably with release dates) somewhere that's not on their website? I don't know why, but I've always had really long load times and timeouts on FFG's website, and I wanted to quickly check up on what all is out/is coming soon in EotE-land.

I made a thing. (it sucks)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqeoVuHDB3-OdDhaRFR4enQ5ekF5Ylh4R0oxdU5FUXc&usp=sharing

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

You are, sadly. I play the Card Game, and have the starter box of X-Wing, but can't justify spending every loving dollar I have on FFG products. I need gas and food, you see.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

This is truly good news.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

That's the beta book hitting retailers. The beta got extended since there aren't many books out in the wild.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Just to add: if you paid 13 bucks for those dice, you got robbed. I've never had a dice pool use more dice than you can get in 2 packs of dice, and I got a set from the beginners game. The packs of dice are designed to be purchased by each player anyway (considering they have the Destiny Tokens in the same package) so if no one else can be bothered to pick up a set, I don't know what to tell you. That is, of course, unless you are going in to this with the intent to review, and not actually play a campaign. I can't believe anyone would wade knee deep into a play session more than once without a Core Book of their own.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

So the Age of Rebellion Beta book has been released, and is available for purchase on FFG's webstore. $29.95.

Was going to pick it up, but shipping to NC is $11.75 :aaaaa:

NEVERMIND. I can't rationalize paying $42 for a softcover beta book that'll I'll repurchase when it releases. I guess I can wait.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

Ask at your FLGS :)

I've been bugging GAmer's Armory in Cary about it since Gencon.

No dice at Atomic Empire :(

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Slicing under fire. :getin:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Springfield Fatts posted:

Optical Camouflage System. Found a weird loophole. It says this upgrade would be useless on laminate or higher armor because of the noise you would make.

Buuut only laminate or higher armor has the two hard points needed to install the attachment? And the 'stealthy' specs this seems made for don't have the talent needed to add a hard point to the lighter armors to make this worth a poo poo. Am I missing something here?

It has been said by FFG that not all upgrades in the book are mean't to be used solely on stuff in the book. They seeded it with stuff for other sourcebooks, and adventures. I'm sure we'll see new equipment in Suns of Fortune, the Corellian book, for instance.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Does Fantasy Flight's Star Wars system have a name other than "FFG's Star Wars roleplaying"? I've been referring to it as the "Edge of the Empire system", but with Age of Rebellion coming out soonish and Force and Destiny on the horizon, it'd be nice to have something slightly more accurate and all-encompassing to say in conversation.

I've seen it referred to as the 'Narrative Dice System,' but since it differs from Warhammer Fantasy I would call it 'Star Wars Narrative System' since every other line in the "key mechanic" section of the book talks about NARRATIVE(!)

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'm about to fire up a IRL game of EotE for my housemates and I plan on getting out my grid game-mat, but only as a tactile/visual aid. I think a lot of combat hangups in RPGs in general come from players/GMs having difficulty maintaining a mental image of who's where.

Do you have a mat without lines? Having a visual aid is awesome, but people with tabletop experience tend to get reaaaally hung up on grid distance in my experience.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

homullus posted:

The main thing that slows me down is what I want to do with Threats and Despairs. Sometimes it's hard to think of something that really works in the circumstances.

Have you tried crowd-sourcing? If you don't have something in mind, ask for suggestions. If the guy who just rolled a Despair has his dickpunch doled out by his fellow party members, you look more like an enabler than an adversary. Plus, you get some HILARIOUS outcomes that way.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

I did a bit more thinking about Enter the Unknown's (and Beyond the Rim's) price point and now I'm not sure how I feel. The EotE core book was 400+ pages and was $60. The two expansions so far are half the price, $29.95, but less than a quarter of the page count. I get that it's not a strict linear relationship between page count and price, but it seems a little odd to me.

They are the nicest supplements/splat books I've ever owned. If you like the ip, they are almost worth it for the sweet pictures alone :allears:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Judging by the Explorer supplement out now and the Hired Gun one coming soon, I assume FFG's plan is to release 6 career supplements for EotE. Do we have any inkling of what's next past Hired Gun?

Also, I'm impressed with the level of support this game is getting in general; Beginner's Box, Core Book, (likely) 6 career supplements, one 100-page adventure module, and a Corellian System sourcebook. And that's just what we know about so far, and ignoring anything for AoR and FaD.

I would be happy with a shelf dedicated to this core system, to be honest. More adventures, more sourcebooks... do the same for AoR and FaD and I'll never want to play another RPG again.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Is AoR and FaD in the same time frame? I haven't picked up the Beta, but It would make sense if EotE is between IV and V, AoR is V and the following gap, and FaD is VI and on. They could go nuts with it, and there is nothing stopping you from playing an EotE character in a later time frame.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I love this game dearly. Wonderful :allears:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The latest Book Enter the Unknown added a few races.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

If the AoR Beginner's Game comes out second qtr like they plan, does that mean they are shooting for the Core book to release around the same time? I don't remember what the delay was between EotE beginner and core.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

EotE core was June/July-ish, right?

Sounds about right. Beginner was around December 2012, so I guess earliest we can expect the AoR book would be a Xmas release.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

You can play an EotE campaign and transition into AoR easily. The only crunchy thing you have to do is either add on a Duty (and keep your obligation for story reasons) or fulfill the characters obligation so they can focus on their new Duty to the Rebellion.

A good example of the transition is Han Solo. He went from a character straight out of an EotE campaign, and transitioned into an officer of the Rebellion with a new-found duty. He still had his obligation to Jabba the Hutt, however...

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

That seems like a fair compromise, and fits the flavor. I think being a Corellian would be cool :v:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The "precursor" to EotE as far as FFG goes, Warhammer Fantasy, has 1 huge boxed set, 6 core books, 12 "expansions" (adventures, campaigns, and supplements), and 8 Print on Demand card products. It seems they ran out of steam after making the PoD stuff, with the last book being released in January of last year.

EotE has not only the power of the license, but it also seems to be far more popular than WF ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Age of Rebellion Beta is on clearance at Miniature Market for $15.

• Locked thread