Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

LumberingTroll posted:

This was our first session and it went 3 hours, the only time we had to look up rules was for the stun setting of the force pike

Just so I'm clear, the rules for the force pike on stun setting are pretty much just "it does strain damage when set on stun," right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Talkc posted:

I have another question about the system. For critical injuries it mentions rolling a d100, but the chart goes from 00-141.

How do critical injuries escalate past 100? I cant seem to find the part that says anything about that.

Edit: Okay i found that. Theres a part where it adds more to the roll.

There's four basic ways that I know of:
1. A critical hit triggered more than once will simply add 10 to the critical injury roll per extra trigger;
2. Each critical injury already in place adds 10 to critical injury rolls until cured;
3. The Lethal Blows talent adds 10 to the critical injury roll per rank of Lethal Blows;
4. The Vicious quality adds 10 to the critical injury roll per rank in Vicious.

This is why disruptor rifles are insanely scary - in the hands of a reasonably competent individual, they're triggering a critical injury with nearly every shot, and the minimum result is a 51. In the hands of a competent assassin, it's a one-hit-kill machine.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

Seriously want to play a brawling wookie in this now. Want to tear my enemies' arms off.

Wookiee Hired Gun (Marauder) is right up your alley. Starts with a high Brawn score and baked-in Brawl points, gains access to a number of passive damage and critical hit buffs and an active ability to take strain damage in exchange for upgrading attacks. top it all off with a dose of Wookiee rage (deal extra damage when hurt) and you're golden.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Soak does not reduce strain damage from any source except for Stun settings on weapons, so punching kind of makes up for its lack of raw damage that way.

Critical hits... I don't know what the basic box tells you about crits, so I'll :words:. You trigger them when you successfully hit and spend a Triumph or a set number of Advantage to trigger the crit. The amount of Advantage required is dictated by the weapon, although there are a few talents and mods that reduce the amount of Advantage required. In our game Mendrian triggers a crit whenever he gets 2 Advantage, so it happens quite a lot for us.

You then roll on the Critical Injuries table and see what horrible thing has happened to the target. As I posted earlier, there are a handful of ways to buff that Critical Injuries roll. Results vary from mild inconvenience such as 1 strain damage, to adding a Setback die to all rolls for the encounter, to "Complete, absolute death."

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Talkc posted:

From what i read in the beta, Criticals pop up under certain rolls ( when a weapon triggers its critical rating ) or when it has certain tags that ensure criticals ( i think vicious does this ).

For instance:

A light blaster pistol has a Crit Rating of 3. If you had 3 advantages to spend ( or one triumph ) you could spend that to make your attack roll a critical on the chart.

I think a triumph can always be converted to a critical.

This is all correct, except for Vicious, which is a weapon quality that makes critical hits nastier by adding 10 times the Vicious rating to the Critical Injuries roll. A lot of the really nasty melee weapons have Vicious, as do disruptors, flamethrowers, and thermal detonators.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

You have to spend two advantage to trigger stuff like Disorient or Auto-Fire.

Edit: You spend them on a hit, sorry

They cost 2 Advantage unless they specify otherwise. Linked weapons trigger on 1 Advantage, for example. Sunder also costs 1, Guided weapons cost 3, and Blast triggers on a miss if you spend three Advantage.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

Sorry, I forgot to look up the unarmed combat rules. In the beta it says if the unarmed attacker decides to do damage to the defender's strain threshold that the damage is still reduced by the defender's soak. The only soak-related errata I can find is that you get to apply your soak individually to each hit if you get nailed with multiple hits in one attack.

The errata throws that out entirely about Brawl, and the main book section on soak specifies that strain damage ignores soak except on Stun Setting weapons.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

The errata says that Brawl is used in unarmed combat, and then unarmed combat says it gets soaked. Fantasy Flight is being Fantasy Flight and putting special soak rules in a section separate from the rest of them. Check page 137.

... I swear to God, FFG, this is why I drink. That would've been a really great sentence to put in three pages earlier where it specifically calls out exceptions to strain damage ignoring soak.

My hat is off to you, Swagger Dagger.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

You can also spend advantage on a failed attack roll to do things like recover strain, grant Boost dice to allies, and grant Setback dice to enemies among other things.

The same is true with Threat, which works kind of in the opposite direction. Your GM might use Threat from a combat roll tom impose strain, impose penalties on yourself and your allies, make you drop your weapon, or other nasty biz.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Possibly absurdly dumb question: when calculating damage, do you deal additional damage for every uncancelled success, or for every additional uncancelled success? That is to say, with 3 successes and 5 base damage, am I dealing 7 damage or 8 damage?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Gort posted:

Having played the game, one of my players wants to know what prevents the following situation:

1. NPC attacks a player, GM spends a force point to boost it.
2. Player immediately spends a force point to penalise the attack roll, negating the point of using the force point in the first place.

Each side can only use one force point per action, so as long as you've got one force point on your side you can still protect yourself.

Boredom prevents it. That is completely unexciting. If you absolutely have to counter force point usage, it's much more interesting to do it in a way that alters the stakes rather than simply undoing what your opponent did. NPC raised an Ability die to a Proficiency and you want to interfere with that? Raise one of his Difficulty dice to a Challenge and up the stakes.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Cover is so very important in combat, as is the use of destiny points and the imposition of setback dice through spending Advantage. I've been forced into two fights now where I couldn't reasonably get cover and the only way I survived was through judicious use of stimpacks.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The thing is, it's not just as simple as "remove setback dice" with some of these setback-removal talents. Slicer, as mentioned, has two separate talents for removing setback dice under two different circumstances (door hacking and actual computers). Granted, those are relatively cheap talents but there's really no reason why they need to be two different talents.

The Street Smarts appearance in the exile tree is both thematically inappropriate in its current location (shouldn't learning to navigate the seedy underbelly be one of the first things you learn when hiding in the seedy underbelly?) as well as vastly overpriced for the benefit it provides. When do you seriously expect to get a setback die on a Knowledge check, after all?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Increase in difficulty is clearly based on rarity of knowledge so that's not a problem, and I could see setback dice based on mitigating factors during research (bad records, deliberate attempts to obscure facts, etc). However, given that so many Knowledge checks are simple "do I know anything about X" checks, offering the removal of setback dice on these leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If you go one page back this whole thing is discussed and resolved. The devs confirmed that every uncancelled success adds damage.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It's the latter case, although you can alter the difficulty and/or add Setback dice through the use of various Talents in additin to in-combat maneuvers such as taking cover.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

One interesting change spotted in the Free RPG Day book: difficulty for Brawl/Melee now seems to be 1.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Barnes & Noble has the publication date listed as today, which I'm told usually corresponds to the street date. Will check later.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Interesting - they added back in the lightsaber's defensive capabilities but swapped the values. Wouldn't be surprised to find out that they only apply if you're trained in the skill. They also tinkered a little with the Jedi's Adversary rating, wound and strain thresholds, and took away Dodge, which can only be good. Under the errata this character was basically impossible to hit. As it stands, you're still rolling three Challenge dice and two Setback to shoot it from Medium range.

They did, however, calculate defense incorrectly. The Melee and Ranged defenses should be reversed unless something major changed, or unless they assigned the wrong values to the lightsaber itself.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Oh God, sample play. The most cringe-inducing thing in any non-FATAL/RAHOWA/CthulhuTech game book.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

They can be helpful, no doubt, but they're often some of the most awkward things in the world to read.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

But why would you want to remove such a fantastic talent?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Is it only in there once, though?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Engaged should be 1 difficulty if I'm reading the back of the GM screen corectly.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

TheDemon posted:

But under what conditions? If they've taken out the conditions then that's another point in favor of Ranged. In the beta Engaged was 1 difficulty but there were modifiers depending on weapon type - 1 more difficulty for ranged light, 2 for ranged heavy, and impossible for gunnery.

This is covered in Chapter VI, Conflict and Combat, under Types of Actions -> Performing a Combat Check. And in the same chapter, under Range Bands there was a table that indicates additional difficulty for Engaged. Might be in a different place now though.

Sorry, was unclear: melee shold be dif 1. Which is a bit of a point in favor of melee.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Update: melee difficulty is in fact 1, and now melee attachments/mods exist (they didn't in the beta). While there are some that give extra damage or whatever, it looks like a good few of them inflict conditions, which is nice.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Correction to previous post: melee/brawl are in fact difficulty 2 and I am an idiot who can't read charts.

As stated, however, they can get brutalnasty with Attachments. Monomolecular edge on a vibrosword or vibroaxe is terrifying.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The chapter on Law and Order alone would've sold me.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

New supplement announced, focusing on the Explorer career. Looks like they'll be doing career-specific supplements.

Points of note:
  • 3 new specializations within explorer
  • Signature abilities, which seem to be career-exclusive 6th row talents
  • Extra gear including the blaster sniper rifle and some new vehicles

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Is there really anything about the Chiss that prevents them from simply falling under the banner of Human since they're near-humans?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

devilmaydry posted:

nothing stops a droid from just putting padded armor over their body if they felt like it.

Our party's resident droid is decked out in full Laminate in the hopes of being mistaken for human. I'm pretty sure he's going to catch some poo poo from other droids for being the droid version of an Uncle Tom somewhere down the line.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Mendrian posted:

Mods modify Attachments and typically add a few additional perks to an item. Mods do not consume hard points. Instead, each time you add a Mod to an Attachment, you must spend 100 credits and perform an increasingly hard Mechanics check.

The thing I would correct here is that additional Mods begin to cost more and more as well. I want to say it starts at 100 and increases by 100 per additional Mod. Starship Attachments/Mods work the same way but have the Mod prices increased by 10.

As far as Ranged (Heavy), its main balancing feature appears to be the fact that very few characters will actually be able to take it as a career specialization.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It's supposed to be Brawn +5 if memory serves correctly.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Chortles posted:

Conversely, since both specializations share Force Power: Move, does my progress in the Move tree apply with both specializations, the same way that I imagine shared career specializations' talent tree progress works?
It wouldn't make a difference. You don't somehow gain two instances of the same Force Power tree if you pick up both specializations. It's one power tree and you gain access to it from both Specializations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Chortles posted:

Now I'm just trying to be clear as to whether Force power upgrades work the same way for a power that appears in more than one Force specialization talent tree, i.e. Move which also appears in the Age of Rebellion beta book...

Move doesn't appear in a talent tree. Move is its own power tree. You can't take it multiple times any more than you can take a talent tree multiple times. The big question, though, is whether the other powers from the books (Influence/Sense and Enhance/Foresee) are exclusive to the Exile and Emergent specializations, or if Force Powers are open to all specializations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Chortles posted:

I was asking about the upgrades; ranked talents are bought one per appearance (whether found multiple times in the same talent tree or found by acquiring another specialization/talent tree that has that talent) while unranked talents are automatically acquired without spending XP in all subsequent specializations if you already bought it in a prior one (the example using Spare Clip: a Gadgeteer who gets Spare Clip and then later goes Trader doesn't have to reacquire Spare Clip). Therefore I was wondering if the basic Move power works like an unranked talent in that respect and the upgrades like ranked talents... though you seem to be saying that it's the whole tree itself that works like an unranked talent?
You're talking about the upgrades like Magnitude and Range, right? That's what I'm getting at: there is no way to "take them again" or whatever, as there's only one tree for Move. They're not treated as ranked or unranked because there's no point to classifying them as such.

quote:

As for your question, consensus over in the FFG thread asking about that seems to be that current RAW (since AoR is in beta) allows access to any of the current Force powers from any Force specialization, since so far the new powers' only prerequisite is Force Rating 1+ just like the powers in Force Sensitive Exile.

Yeah, that was my conclusion today too. Interesting.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The first talent that comes to mind that could be applied in this situation is Point Blank or Barrage. I believe that they both add to the damage of the check, and that triggering Autofire or two weapon wielding adds the damage of the initial check to the extra attacks, so I think it stacks.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Springfield Fatts posted:

It's not like it bogged the game or anything, its just that to everyone in our group this is our first RPG and we want to get the mechanics right.
I don't have my book in front of me, but memory indicates that Point Blank and Barrage both add to the damage of the check. What's the precise wording on Autofire and two weapon wielding regarding the damage they deal?

quote:

I see it personally as the difference between a nice bump in damage +3 (he has three ranks in it) to +6 damage, a whole 'nother blaster shot hitting.
With two weapons, this is exactly what happens. It is a whole other shot hitting, complete with soak factoring in and everything. This is why I'd be inclined to give it to him.

quote:

It also skews the build in favor of two pistols vs. a rifle since you have the chance for the talent to procc twice for two shots.

Not necessarily. Keep in mind that the guy with the rifle has the advantage of range on the pistoleer - unless he's looking to stun, a rifleman with a little time or legwork can most likely get at least one good shot off before the guy with the pistols comes into range. Hell, stick a jetpack on him and the guy with the pistol never really gets a chance. Also, autofire rifles make dual pistols look like a sucker's game.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, I'm curious about this. The only thing that I've heard about them is that they're in powered armor and that they have a full-strength missile tube in addition to being Nemesis level opponents.

edit: also that apparently they forgot to include a Strain Threshold for them.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Only the skills listed in that specific specialization become career skills for you. Buying into Mercenary Soldier only unlocks Discipline, Gunnery, Leadership and Ranged (Heavy).

• Locked thread