Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

efb: sob ^

Rhyno posted:

God drat do I wish Mahnke would draw a Captain Marvel series. Just look at that.
Captain Marvel looks like one of those photoshops where half the person's face is mirrored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Doom Patrol #53

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

IRL LOL at Mortis's reaction to the laser scalpel here :cool:

2000AD prog1005
Dredd's a really nice looking comic.

Prog 20

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wendell posted:

His name is loving Jack Russell? That causes me physical pain.
Now think about why Wonderman could be quoting Elvis in the last panel.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

E: Plus why on earth should a newspaper comic be expected to keep with the times in any way? They're still printing Dick Tracy for god's sake.
Dick Tracy has had video-calling cell phones and moon colonies for over 50 years so the times are yet to catch up to it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Stunt double for Wesley Snipes.
Must be experienced at opening eyes on queue.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Oh deary me!

2000AD, not sure what issue. Pretty sure it's from Judge Dredd.
It's Dredd, prog 188.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Aquaman's trident really is the cherry on top of his green and orange fish scale suit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

prefect posted:

Is it just me, or is Superman doing a smug "yeah, I'm a badass" thing with his face in the first panel? Is that a new-52 thing? I'm not a big Superman fan, but when I do like him, it's when "smug" is the farthest thing from his mind.
Steel is doing the exact same eyebrow lift and smirk so either they've all zoned out of the conversation and Wonder Woman is doing something entertainingly distracting that we can't see or he's piggybacking on the "I used to be kind-of Superman once".

Sizone posted:

I like to think that's because Batman is secretly a huge anime fan, putting on the costume and fighting crime allows him to cosplay, like, every single night.
Requisite:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Wasn't there a panel where Batman detects the Martian Manhunter's disguise because he used a character name from Sailor Moon?

whatsabattle in the last thread posted:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I took him to be referring to financial security, since a blacksmith is a very stable and desirable medieval profession.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Oh well in that case I'll stop saving these:

2000AD 648 and 590 respectively

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Renzuko posted:

I am kinda curious as to why they passed on the completely normal teacher with an actual degree? I guess it's because she's not a mutant but isn't that kind of a...magneto kinda thing to do?
I think because she's just a throwaway gag.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

What does RRO stand for?
That's the monster's name.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

This panel never really made sense to me. Psychopaths sometimes profess to deeply love somebody they seriously abuse, but this is because they don't really understand what "love" means. If true love and anguish hold some sort of supernatural power (this is a comic book) then these netherdemons aren't really getting what they asked for.
The netherdemons aren't 'getting' the love and don't care if it's real - the bargain isn't for that, the bargain is for Doom to knowingly and irretrievably drat himself.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sizone posted:

You know what, yes, I am. Matters of sexism, "the artist has never actually seen a real live girl" and good taste aside, skeletal elasticity seems to be a thing in comics. Can spiders spin their heads 180 degrees? Is it o.k. because it's Jameson's paranoid delusion? I want a canonical answer to rule out the possibility that the artist doesn't understand anatomy.
Because while keeping a character's face, and therefore expression and large source of personality and tone, visible at an angle that you really shouldn't be able to see it is a poor compositional choice, it's not quite as poor or sexist a choice as keeping a characters boobs and butt visible as those parts of the body do not perform anywhere near the same function as a face in human communication.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

I hope someone can identify the source, because I dare to dream whatever mental malady has befallen the Caped Crusader leads to Batman sitting at a Knicks game with baffled bombshells, blonde and brunette, one on each arm.
The source was easy - Batman #303 - but the synopsis reads like a loving Newspaper Spider-Man plot arc :psyduck:

quote:

Synopsis for "Batman's Great Identity Switch"
Batman is struck on the head by a rock while fighting the Dodo Man, a crook with a psychotic urge to steal anything related to dodos, in the Museum of Natural History. The blow reverses his identity-switching impulse, so that he battles criminals as Bruce Wayne and appears in civilian life as Batman. He cannot understand the commotion he raises by doing so. Alfred consults his doctor and learns that the cure may be placing Batman back where he was hit by the rock. Thus, he places a bat-transmitter bug in the Natural History Museum under a stuffed dodo's wing. When Bruce Wayne tracks it down, his reversed-identity impulse is corrected and he dons his Batman uniform. As Batman, he intercepts the Dodo Man trying to steal the stuffed dodo, and captures him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Solomonic posted:

Can somebody shrink that face down to avatar size? I think it may finally be time.
Both of these are just the worst.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sockser posted:

What's truly upsetting is that Pepperann's expectations are exactly what reality is :(

e: ugh I can't get over how upset this is making me
What really surprised me was the date on the page.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

But why would you moonlight as a costumed vigilante when you're already a vigilante turtle. :psyduck:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think the question was really "why is Deadpool popping smoke grenades for no apparent reason?" and with Deadpool the answer is always "because fighting in smoke is badass".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm going to double-down on pedantry and mention that it doesn't matter which way it's facing because it's a bi-directional symbol.

Also, norse gods throw loving hammers in their glass houses - hammers with engraved swastikas on them - so it's no wonder they'd hate nazis for co-opting their symbol.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Venom pulled two of them off and it seemed to annoy Namor somewhat.

(that RRRRIP! is like webcomic-level onomatopoeia)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They should bring Goom back, what with his great ability set of "mental powers" and "immense head". :crossarms:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

TwoPair posted:

THIRD BASE!
Wouldn't this work better if Sonic actually had told him to go for the other guy? :confused:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Doom is being extra lovely here...
We're talking about the same Doom that would hire Luke Cage for $200 and then fist-fight him for demanding Doom actually pay it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

And here's how it began:

That is probably the most perfect exposition I have ever seen :allears:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I find the best way to think of things is that T-Ray was a psycho with a band-aid on his nose and leave it at that.
I like to remember him as the most unimpressive villain to ever make a similarly unimpressive threat by misunderstanding how children's games work.

[deadpool #30]

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's Pete Woods, but that entire portion of the arc is just amateur hour in every way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

caboodle posted:

What has Remender got to do with anything???
Remender was the one who decided that Havok would have a point of view, what point of view that was, how he would express it, and ultimately Remender was the one who told people who disagreed with Havok's extremely privileged and socially unconscious position to drown themselves in hobo piss.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

For the same reason you'd tie them to a chair, but plus the ability to move your captives around without putting your back out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Commissar Ken posted:

Yeah but if it was a regular chair he'd escape using the legs upon that chair. The real key is knowing he'd always escape and using that as part of your plan.
We must be reading different Batmans.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Pretty sure they're making GBS threads on him for being a internet-fame-seeking weirdo who's throwing an originality tantrum over his totally rad Sonic-but-with-boobs character Julie-Su that literally has a mother named Mary-Su.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

We all know there's only one way to insult people and only one way for this derail to end.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 9, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Fantastic Four #3

As a pilot I'd have thought Ben would be aware of time zones.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

And I haven't the foggiest how to pronounce ripslists.
Try thinking of it as a plural of websites for classified ads and it becomes much easier.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

^^^ 'Wolverine was a dog' and 'Aunt May was Iron Man'
also 'Man-Thing wore a disguise'

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Your Distinguished Competition. :laffo:
A better burn from the same issue:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Magneto's powers in the 70s were so loosely defined to the point where he was battling Xavier on the astral plane and hypnotising people using his "magnetic attraction".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

AkumaHokoru posted:

well if you want to get into it magnetos powers CAN give him control over a person's thoughts.
Granted, but it's treated as a ridiculous extension of his base powers over metal these days rather than in the 70s where it was just "this idiom has 'magnetic'/'magnetism' in it, which means Magneto must be able to do it!"

bonus: dat iceman

(Both X-Men #18)

• Locked thread