Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom #2 - villainous plans can get kind of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
X-Men #57 (or so I have been told) shows that Cyclops has always been a bit of a racist.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Batman/Captain America had an amazing one-shot that owned.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

bobkatt013 posted:

This is Chuck Austen we are talking about. This only barely makes the top ten stupidest things he did in x-men if it even makes it.

Remember the time he wrote about that plot to make Nightcrawler the new Pope so they could fake the Rapture with communion wafers that vaporized people? Even though the Catholic church, like most denominations, doesn't believe in the idea of the Rapture.

Good times.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

SynthOrange posted:

Who's the fourth guy/monster in the eating contest?

Googam, son of Goom.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I think it's the last one, according to a recent Fantastic Four.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Ignite Memories posted:

Wait how does joker have a face again? Typing that last sentence, it occurred to me that DC is weird.

As much as we'd all like to see Joker actually having some skin on his head again, the story's a flashback.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It took me a while to like Sam, the major problem with the character being that he was written by Jerb Lerb as yet another dead son replacement, with all the Godawful dialogue and intensely unlikeable characterization associated with that status. But once the Lerb's fingers were prised off the character and he was written as an actual teenager rather than an obnoxious piece of poo poo, he became kind of fun. Just so long as you only read the comic book version and stay fifty feet away from his appearances in the tragically unfunny and uninteresting "Ultimate Spider-Man" cartoon. I still vastly prefer Rich, though, overall.

Now for content! From the latest Thunderbolts, issue 14, the team is Deadpool, Venom, Elektra and the Punisher, with General "Red Hulk" Ross in charge (and Samuel "The Leader" Sterns as team mascot). They're essentially going round the table and helping each other out with missions none of them can take on solo, and first up is Frank.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

SynthOrange posted:

Why's the Leader red instead of green? (And when did he go back to his top-hat-head look instead of moon-head?)

Nilbop posted:

And why is Venom red?

Oh my God is it literally because Red Hulk is red and he's the leader? Is Frank's skull t-shirt red too?

Yes, Frank's skull is red. It's the team uniform, so to speak, for that exact reason. Also, the Leader is red because he got shot and in order to save his life, Ross did a blood transfusion, resulting in the classic comic book pigment shift.

As for the hat, Deadpool apparently just "found it". I guess when life gives you a cool hat, you don't question it so much.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yo this is horribly loving wrong because Nova #1-5 were genuinely good. The transition between Loeb and Wells was seamless and it's been a fun and good book from the start.

I took issue with the whole "there was a super-duper-top-secret branch of the Nova Corps who wore black and used guns (because guns are cool??!?) and were so super-duper-top-secret that when literally every other Nova Corps officer in the universe died they weren't called up to serve by the giant floating head of the organization (they didn't get massacred with the rest because so cool) and then it turns out that when some kid starts flying around screaming 'I'M NOVA' nobody bats an eye because it's not like literally every other Nova Corps officer died horribly last year and then the sole remaining guy saved the universe three-and-a-half times" thing.

Also, the writing was not "genuinely good". Loeb's writing as a whole is mediocre bordering on the idiotic and, quite frankly, he needs to retire from comic books and spend a few years in therapy, because trying to reconnect with your dead son through comics is supremely unhealthy.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Protocol 5 posted:

People were racist as poo poo in the 20s and 30s. Lovecraft only stands out because internet, and he's ludicrously verbose about it. Your great grandparents said friend of the family all the time without a second thought.

Actually Lovecraft was so shockingly racist, even considering the era, that his correspondence with fellow pulp writer of the age Robert E. Howard actually went a ways toward making Howard less racist.

Yeah, you read that right. He was easily capable of out-racisting someone from 1920s Texas to the point that they went "woah woah hold on a minute".

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Random Stranger posted:

A few years ago Terry Bison wrote a really good story called "Shoggoths in Bloom" that was essentially a response to Lovecraft's racism. It's worth checking out if you're a fan of Lovecraft because it's a different direction from the usual pastiches.

According to Wikipedia, it was Elizabeth Bear who wrote the story. So... wrong large mammal? :v:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Takezio posted:

Wait, did Sharkcrawler get the end of his tail docked?

That's a North Korean "test subject" who was given Nightcrawler's mutant powers via a graft involving Deadpool's DNA, which sadly also gave him the cancer-rotted skin look.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Say Nothing posted:

One Mojoverse? Then who the hell is Madame Mondo?

A lesser producer from the Mojoverse, one would assume. Same species, less executive power.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Rhyno posted:

Mojo II was a clone!

Hollywood-style nepotism at its purest level!

edit for content, since this is a new page:

Hawkeye enjoys the little things in life, from the pages of Avengers: Endless Wartime (which you should read, because it's great).

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 3, 2013

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Coracle-Spidey looks so chill, what a great day out that would be.

Mark Twain and Stan Lee present The Adventures of Huckleberry Parker, where everyone's favourite wall-crawler paddles a webfluid raft down the Mississipi, along with Mutant Jim, dodging sentinel robots and confidence men.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

CapnAndy posted:

There's also an Octobot with Peter's brain still wandering around New York.

Is the Octobot still around? I thought it died or exploded or something.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

mind the walrus posted:

Kitty dumped him? Rough break for that guy.

Dumped him and went to go work for Scott "I murder Charles Xavier but it was alien mind control I swear" Summers in his crazy borderline-asylum school.

So yeah I'd be mad too.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well her alternative is Wolverine so its kind of a wash on that point.

Cyclops has gone full-on criminal now for reason so honestly I would rather go with Wolverine because, while he's stabbed many a dude before, I'm pretty sure he didn't flip out and murder my former teacher with super space god powers.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Action Tortoise posted:

I love how Spider-man toy lines always have a Spidermobile. It's the last thing he could possibly need in a dense city like New York.

The lovely cartoon they have running at the moment gave him a motorcycle. A motorcycle that shoots weblines and then can drive along the weblines.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

notthegoatseguy posted:

It's like they completely missed the point of the Spider-Mobile.

It's ok, they also completely missed being a good show.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Nycticeius posted:

Also, the regenerative qualities in his DNA keep Jubilee from being destroyed by the Sun while she has it in her system.

:eng101: Actually she has an anti-sun magic amulet she boosted off some evil vampires in the storyline where she became a vampire.

Comic books.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Metal Loaf posted:

Haha! Does anyone suppose Grant Morrison was referencing this when Superman saved the day in Final Crisis?

Other way around, champ.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The X-Cats are, in order from left to right: Karima "Omega Sentinel" Shapandar (cyborg kitty at the back), Monet "M" (the gloves are the giveaway), Psylocke, Storm, Rachel "90s Costume" Grey, Jubilee, and the tiny guy down below her is Shogo (Jubilee's adopted son).

Easy to figure out who's who when you're keeping up with the book and know the whole cast :v:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

SynthOrange posted:

So Jubes is now an ex mutant vampire single mom sidekick?

Not sure about the sidekick part, honestly. It's more of a Lone Bat and Cub kind of vibe :drac:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

ManiacClown posted:

They're Destro and the Snake!
They're Destro and the Snake!
One is a Scotsman,
The other is a fake!
To foil all the Joes,
Their plot they'll not expose,
'Til tomorrow,
They're Destro and the Snake-Snake-Snake.

Super team extraordinaire - G.I. Joe! G.I. Joe!
All the dudes with jaws so square - G.I. Joe! G.I. Joe!

Rescues Washington D.C. - G.I. Joe! G.I. Joe!
Always saving the land of the free - G.I. Joe! G.I. Joe!

They're pretty easygoing!
Half the battle is knowing!
So raise your fist and give a YO!
G.I. Joe! G.I. Joe!

(I should have gone with Animaniacs, I might have finished that one. Three verses is all you're getting.)

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Gavok posted:

G.I. Joe!

You made me proud, Gavok :3:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Lobok posted:

He could just Bat Squat. He's got the pose down from all that type he spends up on gargoyles.

Ah, so that explains all the training he did in Japan.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Daktar posted:

Is this not No Man's Land all over again? Seems a bit unoriginal.

DC.txt, sadly.

Actually I guess it's more comic_books.txt in general, honestly.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Hakkesshu posted:

The conspiracy is that Paul died and they replaced him with someone who looks a lot like him or something. I don't know why it is a thing.

It's basically a case of some Beatles fans being unable to cope with one of their idols ageing ungracefully. Much easier to think that he died and the sinister record label replaced him with an imperfect duplicate.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Action Tortoise posted:

I like the idea of mismatched eye shadow but is Harley's skin naturally white or did she undergo the same Joker chemical accident? I just can't see someone coating 80% of their body in white powder.

"Accident" insofar as New 52 Joker pushed her in, but yes, it's been chemically bleached like the Joker's.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
That was Freedom Ring in Marvel Team-Up. He had a ring carved out of a cosmic cube that could affect reality around him.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Trast posted:

I have to agree there.

"It feels like you're trying too hard" might as well be the Joker's bio at this point in time.

edit: "You're a goofy idea that only a child would think is cool" also a strong contender.

The story isn't the greatest ever but it's so cathartic to read a story that has the Joker in it that doesn't have the writer struggling to portray the sheer size and virility of the boner they have for this one-note character. It's a breath of fresh air to have him shut down for once, even if Superman gets a little out-of-character doing it.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 4, 2014

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

bobkatt013 posted:

Broo is awesome and I hope they never decide to send him on a bus New x-men style.

They almost did, once. It was a scary time.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Fried Chicken posted:

If anyone at DC had a brain in their head, they'd go to the creator of JL8 with a contract and a fat stack of cash and bring them inhouse. JL8 is the perfect way to connect to new young readers, introduce them to the characters and their personalities, and get them reading for years.

You think the JL8 characters share their personalities with their comic book counterparts? :psyduck:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Bloodly posted:

I can only ask, "What's next?"

Something completely different, of course.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

PantsOptional posted:

Thomas Wayne wearing the pseudo-Batman masquerade ball outfit was from "The First Batman" in Detective #235.

Robin's look of absolute disgust makes this cover even better.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Skwirl posted:

I hope to Christ there were less rape jokes at least.

Edit: Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled so they could make Ultimate, and Spectacular was the best superhero cartoon since B:TAS, that's why people hate Ultimate.

SSM wasn't specifically cancelled to make way for USM, the situation there is a whole lot more complex. You might be thinking of Avengers EMH, which was cancelled specifically to make way for Avengers Assemble.

Both AA and USM have animation that's so loving terrible I could probably post it here under the criteria of "unintentionally hilarious comic book related material" but that'd mean subjecting people to it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Batman we need to have a serious talk about your mask addiction.

(Batman #60)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Red posted:

Eventually, that thread is going to have the GL fridge scene, and I don't think I need to see Archie's expression to that discovery.

Well if it's Archie who's died, then Kyle's place needs to be taken by Jughead.

"'Hamburgers in the fridge, love Archie.' This doesn't look like his handwriting..."

• Locked thread