Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Holy poo poo I never expected a real life Lucille Bluth meme

How much could a car possibly cost... a million dollars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

I needed to visit a Vomitorium after listening to RFK Jr.

(yeah, I know that this is a myth)

As difficult as it is to believe, I assure you that RFK Jr is not a myth

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pander posted:

I'm a little confused by the $373/MWHr figure, since later in the article they site research that says $120?

That $120/MWh value is the updated projection for Nuscale specifically

The $373/MWh figure is a mystery. Their own source (BloombergNEF) says that the average cost of nuclear power is between $33.50 and $50 per MWh depending on who you ask. The article even has a section talking about newer construction (which has cost considerably more than plants built in the 70s) and their worst example is still only $134/MWh

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kalman posted:

Naval reactors run on HEU so using those designs commercially would present a serious proliferation risk.

The united states already has nuclear weapons fyi

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't think it's worth getting lost in the weeds examining the differences between navy vessel reactors and commercial power reactors, when someone starts talking about the navy it's meant more to illustrate how silly it is to argue that we can't build nuclear power plants. We can build them, we just don't want to apparently

If we really cared about combating climate change we'd declare it a threat to national security and start doling out commercial nuclear power contracts to the MIC. We've done the first part several dozen times at least but for some reason we just aren't doing anything about it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dante80 posted:

More of literally everything else that can help and is not politically, socially and financially unacceptable right now. From more mass renewables to small/big hydro to EGS to grid to storage to capture to keeping and mildly expanding the nuclear you have to...everything else.

I stopped crying over mass nuclear personally when I realized that a> it's not happening anyway and b> there are still a lot of fish to fry, as well as many degrees to environmental pain coming down the line. It is simply UNHEALTHY for me to fixate on it any longer, and it also saps my energy that should be spent promoting other stuff to stem the climate apocalypse.

And how does making GBS threads on nuclear power promote the construction of more renewables and grid-scale storage?

Did you really just suggest carbon capture as a reason to not build nuclear power? The gently caress?
:dafuq:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't know of any nuclear supporters who are anti-renewables but I do know a lot of renewable supporters who are anti-nuclear. That's a problem. And it's why you see articles like this Fortune one, which don't really seem to understand nuclear power. Take for instance that the article creates an implication that replacing a decommissioned reactor costs as much as a whole new facility, and the stated assumption that nuclear power somehow robs investment from electrical transmission upgrades (no really, what the gently caress?)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

in a well actually posted:

Worth remembering whenever this thread talks about China’s amazing investments in nuclear, for example, from three days ago:

Yeah their energy growth is insane and they're pretty much maxed out on how much nuclear power they can build at once. I see these two stories and think "I am glad they are able to build 30% fewer coal plants than they would need to otherwise." I wish the US was able to build fewer fossil fuel plants.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smiling Demon posted:

Am I missing something here?

People are responding to a graph that shows power generation in China is mostly fossil fuels followed by a small portion of hydropower and nuclear and an even smaller portion of solar and wind as if it is an indication of progress?

Because this situation looks incredibly bleak. The graph may not be the best, but I don't think you can get a positive interpretation out of it without a severe dose of optimism.

The graph was posted in response to this:

GlassEye-Boy posted:

This stupid point is brought up every time, yes they are permitting new coal, but at the same time they are shutting down the same amount if not more, replacing older smaller and dirtier plants with larger cleaner ones.

But you'll never see media reporting on that part.

The graph actually confirms what this post is saying: they are building shitloads of new coal plants, but their total coal power generation hasn't grown since around 2010. The positive interpretation is that their energy growth is in other energy sectors, and not coal

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

Very excited for physics-defying limitless energy though. The last couple of times the science people invented it it must have gotten hung up on red tape or something.

It was kept down by THE MAN

Disclaimer: I am the man, I review journal articles and abstracts

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

No one cares anymore. I was always a strong proponent of nuclear energy. But the fact that those things got turned off is a political decision which is straight up irreversible. We live in the world we have and have to deal with the situations as they are and not as they should be. I'm not saying that any of this is smart, but this is just what's happening and we have to accept it by now. Crying about those obvious implications feels like Pro-Brexiters who complain about import tariffs some years after their vote.

In this analogy you've created the people who are pro-nuclear also voted for the nuclear power plants to close (???)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TheMuffinMan posted:

i don't understand it well yet but with bricks you can raise them during the day and let them fall when attached by rope or whatever to a magnet that can spin?

There have been prototypes of this kind of thing built and iirc the storage efficiency was so awful that you'd be better off just buying a bunch of car batteries

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Maybe the party that ultimately decided to shut down all of the nuclear power plants isn't really as pro-nuclear power as you may have been thinking. Just sayin'

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

They are because the majority opposed restarting the plants until recently, I wonder what happened in '22 :thunk:

https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Poll-finds-record-support-for-Japanese-reactor-res

Wasn't 2022 the year that Shinzo Abe was assassinated by video game designer Hideo Kojima

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpeedFreek posted:

Something more like this?

I think the kettle is a lot cleaner as a symbol to represent boiling water than this huge diagram, I mean we could also point out that a lightning bolt isn't a good representation for alternating current but that's kind of missing the forest for the trees

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The electron orbit representation of an atom isn't a great representation for fission, they should use these scans of formulae from a nuclear physics textbook:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's kind of like missing the gluon-hadronic envelope for the nucleons

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

From what I gather, some (but by far not all) of the wind comes from the earths rotation. Wouldn't the generation of that energy take it from the earths rotation, thereby technicallly slowing it a minuscle amount?

No, angular momentum is conserved. You're not slowing down the earth's rotation with wind power, not even by even a miniscule amount

Wind is really just another version of solar energy; the sun adds heat to the air, hot air moves toward colder air. That's wind. Solar energy gets absorbed by the air, wind turbines convert some of that energy into electricity.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Saukkis posted:

After we have solved the climate crisis

lmao

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Beep boop.

This is why everyone took the COVID vaccine, because the money the government dumped into PR easily overwhelmed the free conspiracy theories.

Most people did take the vaccine, and you don't need unanimous consensus to build nuclear power

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

So I dunno, I feel like that we can still get the global average temp going back down

That ship sailed a long time ago, even if we brought our net carbon to zero we would still be experiencing increasing global temperature for a generation or more due to positive feedback effects. Our goal is now less of an increase

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

I like the person who clearly answered wrong deliberately but wasn't removed from the dataset outliers.

Behold the power of the box and whisker plot

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MightyBigMinus posted:

keep in mind the usual d&d goon answer of NUKULAR is much worse here because the idle-capital-cost of gas plants is like a full order of magnitude lower than than a fission plant.*

* if we decide to say "gently caress it, climate change is fine"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

*half of a US state gets swallowed by the ocean*

Well at least the shareholders were happy for awhile

What's really hosed is that some island nations are literally going to disappear but they just don't get a say in the matter, when I'm dead in the ground the fossil fuel industry will be burning even more than they are now lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why would I sign up for an expensive electric plan with my local utility when I could just buy an extension cord that goes all the way to my neighbor's house?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ecofascism means wanting to round up and put all of the brown people into death camps because you think that will save the environment

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

*significantly reduces emissions by building out renewable energy*

*offsets a big fraction of that reduction by shutting down all of the nuclear power*

Look at the reduction in emissions!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DTurtle posted:

Been said a dozen times in this thread, been refuted a dozen times in this thread, and continues to be false.

As a challenge, point out when nuclear power plants were turned off based on this chart:

Carbon emissions would be even lower if the nuclear power hadn't been turned off, that chart does not dispute this fact

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VictualSquid posted:

No, not as much as you imply.

Oh, word? How much did you imagine I implied?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DTurtle posted:

Thanks for conceding the challenge.

Yeah you're the biggest dipshit, happy to concede that challenge

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Did you know power corrupts absolutely? This is why you should OPPOSE the new solar farm proposal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Watched this interesting video on vertical bifacial solar arrays, it's really interesting if you have any interest at all in solar panels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqizLQDi9BM

For anyone not watching, vertical bifacial panels (PV panels that absorb photons from both sides and are mounted in an east-west orientation) may be a bit more efficient on sunny days than traditional panels mounted with a fixed southern-facing angle, they may be even more efficient on cloudy days, and they may have a longer operating lifetime. For flat roofs that are common on commercial buildings, it may be more effective to build vertical panels instead of adding a bunch of infrastructure for angled panels