Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This is a good place to also recommend HBO Sports Documentaries which are pretty much superior to 30 for 30 with very few exceptions.

Some HBO Sports Docs I recommend:

• The Ghosts of Flatbush - recalls the tragedy of the Brooklyn Dodgers and their eventual move out to LA
  • :03 Seconds from Gold - About the screwjob experienced by the 1972 USA basketball team
  • Do You Believe in Miracles? - Miracle on ice, 1980
  • America's Hero....Betrayed - Story of Joe Louis, within the context of America's civil rights battle and racial consciousness
  • Nine Innings from Ground Zero - Story of the 2001 World Series in the aftermath of 9/11
  • One Day in September - Munich Olympics tragedy

There are many others, but these are ones I've seen and thought were fantastic. I know HBO programming is sometimes harder to come by (not on Netflix, etc.) but if you can manage to find these, or any of their "Sports of the 20th Century" documentaries, don't pass it up.

edit: All of these I'm pretty sure are narrated by Liev Schrieber, who is an awesome narrator with an awesome voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Technowrite posted:

I've enjoyed most of these that I've seen, especially Unguarded and Catching Hell, but the absolute worst one I've watched is Straight Outta LA by Ice Cube. I thought it would be interesting because I know the Raiders have one hell of a history and Al Davis is a story all his own, but it quickly turned into an hour-long+ handjob about NWA and how they changed hip-hop. That's also an interesting story on it's own, but I wanted to know more about the Raiders.

Run, Ricky, Run felt pretty flat too, but Straight Outta LA was just terrible.

Run, Ricky, Run was so disappointing because he is such an interesting dude and if done right it could've brought up some important and relevant points or questions. As it is though, it just comes off as some amateur with a lot of Ricky Williams footage putting together a haphazard film that just sort of meanders.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Actually wasn't the first 30 for 30 short the one about Pete Rose?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

vaginal culture posted:

A proper 30 for 30 on Lance Armstrong would be amazing but it'd need to be about 3 hours long to cover everything.

Actually, there is a feature length documentary about Lance Armstrong titled "The Armstrong Lie" getting limited theatrical release on Nov 8th.

It's directed by Alex Gibney. It's over 2 hours long.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Not a 30 for 30, but a great sports documentary.....The Good Son about the life of boxer Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini and him meeting the wife and son of Deuk-Koo Kim, the man who died while fighting Mancini, is up on Netflix. It was excellent.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I thought the trophy one was OK mainly because I'm a dumb American who didn't know any of the history of it.

Not 30 for 30 related but is "One Night in Turin" any good for a soccer documentary? Netflix keeps recommending it to me after watching the 30 for 30 soccer ones.

The thing about the trophy 30 for 30 was that the actual information was interesting, but it was like an 8th grader who just learned how to use Final Cut slapped it together for a school project. I mean, for chrissakes the voice-overs were all just RECORDED PHONE CALLS. What in the hell.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Also another one where a New Yorker tells us how cool and special one of their teams was

It is pretty strange how over and over New York teams are made out to be these heroic underdogs.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

There's a good Real Sports piece on this.

Two actually. I think they did a follow-up piece on it right before or during the Sochi Olympics.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dingleberry Jones posted:

I'm looking forward to the Randy Moss doc.

I remember when I was in junior high that my junior high team played his team and got obliterated and everyone was talking about "the kid who could dunk."

This reminds me of when I was in 7th grade and played against Maurice Clarrett. :stare:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Don't forget the SF Giants threatening to move to Florida.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Finally got a chance to watch Big Shot. I'm not sure if there's a greater disparity between interesting subject matter and inept to terrible directing.

Really, Kevin loving Connolly directed this? And narrated it (terribly)? And inserted himself into the documentary? Ugh. What a shame. Such an interesting and strange sorry.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just a heads up, the current crop of 30 for 30s are getting added to Netflix on the fly.

Playing for the Mob and The Day the Series Stopped are already up.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking it was a bit lengthy for a 30 for 30.

It's actually shorter than my favorite 30 for 30.... The Best That Never Was

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Rand University sucked. I think it was just poorly made. It just felt like they took what could have been an interesting story and told it in a very disjointed way. Then once he gets to the NFL they just end it with "and he became one of the greatest WR in NFL history". WHAT?! Dude was a human highlight reel for years and you just glaze over his triumph? And the whole "Oh yeah by the way he also kept loving up". Ok?

It just didn't feel very in depth. Like everything they showed or talked about was just the surface.

The whole doc could have benefited from telling the story of the 3 friends (Moss, Howard, and Singleton) and their 3 very different paths from their HS football days, even while still putting the big focus on Moss. Because the irony is the two friends represented the two paths he could go down, with Howard as the straight edge Notre Dame guy and Singleton the talented athlete who threw it away and ended up on the streets. I don't know how you make that documentary and don't realize that that's the real story. Rather than basically a chronological life story of Randy Moss from high school to the NFL draft.

Wasted potential.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Brothers in Exile is really really good. Very interesting story.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I thought The U part 2 was bad.

It was an interesting follow-up to The U, but of course like most of these docs, its a bunch of revisionist history. One person even said that the 2001 Miami team would have made the NFL Playoffs. I understand people say this all the time when a college team is really good, but I'm not sure how a team that barely beat an unranked Boston College quarterbacked by one Brian St. Pierre could win enough games in the NFL to make the playoffs.

That and how they actually tried to whitewash those Miami teams like they were nothing like the Miami teams of the 80's. Meanwhile one of their players gets straight up murdered and guy being interviewed says if he'd been there it wouldn't have happened because he always had his gun on him. Yeah, bunch of saints compared to the old Miami. Oh don't forget picking a fight with Florida at a strip club in New Orleans! Then they turn the whole Nevin Shapiro thing into an attack on the NCAA. I love an attack on the NCAA as much as the next guy but it doesn't absolve Miami of any of the egregious things that took place either.

Then they end the documentary talking about how there's no place like The U and how they don't know another place where everyone is like a family and :jerkbag: Please....it is no more or less special than any other of the hundreds of schools people say that same exact poo poo about.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Niwrad posted:

One of the other cool things about 30 for 30 is that it spawned a bunch of other docs non-ESPN outlets. Heck, I even sort of like the Football Life docs on NFL Network.

For years before 30 for 30 existed, HBO was churning out great sports documentaries on the reg. To be honest though, other than their regular series like Hard Knocks, they haven't put out any good sports docs lately. Their Ghosts of Flatbush, 3 Seconds from Gold, the Miracle on Ice, and the doc about the Munich Olympics were all amazing and better than most 30 for 30 docs.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Wow it's directed by Dick Ebersol's son. That will definitely be all-access since the league was half-owned by NBC.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Yeah I think he did play by play for the sooners on a regional fox sports network a while back. Using him for the XFL wasn't really out of the ordinary

I'm pretty sure he used to be the Atlanta Falcons PBP guys a long time ago if I'm not mistaken.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Akileese posted:

So the first 30 for 30 Audio is up. It's on Dan O'Brien and Dave Johnson and Reebok's hilariously bad marketing campaign for the '92 Summer Olympics in Barcelona. I'm about 15 minutes in but it's pretty good. It feels like a sports version of This American Life/Serial which is something that has been sorely missing from the podcast medium. I'm not excited for the rest of the series.

Also, if you've never seen those '92 ads, well enjoy. It's astounding how weird and bad they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKJkfE1M9wA

Wait, it sounded like you said you liked it but then you said you're not excited for the rest of the series. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's not a 30 for 30, but if you have Netflix, you need to watch Icarus like asap. That doc is loving bonkers.

Seconding this. Like, it goes really far down the rabbit hole.

• Locked thread