Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CJacobs posted:

That's pretty much the equivalent of naming your child "shithead" and then going "nuh-uh, it's pronounced shi-theed!!" to the doctors trying to take them away from you.

I'm going to name my children and possibly the children of other people if possible Gaius Copronymus. Maybe some adults too also as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CJacobs posted:

pronounce it phonetically

As opposed to pronouncing it __________?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

made of bees posted:

Gaii, you idiot plebe.

It's Gai.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Spotted this on Imgur.
It's the names from a Tennessee first grade class.

I hope Eunique becomes a popular name :ironicat:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Istari posted:

Where I'm from, Casey (and all variations), Lachlan, Eden, and any diminutive of Michael (not including the name Michael itself) were the ones to watch out for.

I'm fairly certain you don't know what diminutive means :tipshat: Unless there are folks called Michaelette or something.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I tried :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EXAKT Science posted:

A Balthazar, whom I call fairly regularly, and is a wonderful man with a wonderful accent.

He's a TV celebrity you know:

http://youtu.be/lM9AUUwOUs8

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gamingCaffeinator posted:

All my coworkers have been sharing our middle names, since a bunch of us have our middle initials on the schedules for some arbitrary reason. Most of 'em are fairly standard, but one guy's middle name is Renwick (REN-ick). I thought it was cool.

http://youtu.be/sitzsxFIlQM

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's fun to go the Family Search website and type in any word as a first name, ask for an exact spelling and see how ridiculous you can get. For example, I just typed in Victrola. There were/are a handful of people named Victrola. Lucifer? Several of them, with an interesting example of a Louisiana family with sons named Lucifer and Heafen which I bet is a bastardized spelling of Heaven.

I would've thought heathen.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Centripetal Horse posted:

On an unrelated note, I also support forced sterilization and confinement to work camps for people who name their child Feline, or Diezel, or any random noun from a language that is not their native tongue, or any random noun from a language that is their native tongue, and for anyone who has seventeen children with the same name, such as "George."

Like 100% or more of names are originally just random words from different languages.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

We're Americans, our names don't mean poo poo.

They do to people with a proper education :smuggo:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pandora is a fairly common name. Also at least she closed the lid before the worst monster got out. Hope in case you're not up to date on your classical mythology.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Istari posted:

After the Everly Brothers, maybe ?

"Happy Birthday, Smothers"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm going to name my kid Mercedes Edsel Talbot Cotton.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Proof that Barack Ebola is African.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I actually personally know Cinnamon & Cilantro in real life. They're murderers and rapists so they deserve their names :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm fairly certain that's not where the uterus is located :colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If people start naming their kids ASDASDADS or ÖLKÖLKÖLK I know at least a few municipal databases that will be utterly hosed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Echeveria posted:

I know someone who's first name is Candida. As in yeast infections. She gets really defensive and tells everyone it means white in spanish, which it may very well, but she is white as hell.

A lot of Spanish people like to think they're white as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Really? I guess this is new to you as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPTXVqETBM4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Today I learned that Manute Bol's son is called Bol Bol and while there's absolutely nothing wrong with that I think the reason Manute Bol died is god smiting him for not naming his son Basket.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Alicia Keys' baby is named Genesis Ali. It's different, but I feel it pales in comparison to most things in this thread.

On a related note, Kevin Smith's teenage daughter is named Harley Quinn Smith. His wife picked it, apparently.

That's only bad if you're nerd and know who Harley Quinn is :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Istari posted:

Just met a Zaylor.

Was his last name Moon?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All on Black posted:

In fact, there's a Muffin Lord on these very forums.

Most people who post on these forums are muffin lords.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

Met a client the other day named Gru. As in the character from Despicable Me.

Apparently he's a real rear end in a top hat to work with, too. No word on whether or not he plans to steal the moon.

Maybe you'll develop a sensual relationship with them and get eaten by a Gru.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Istari posted:

There was a guy in my home town who was left with the mental capacity of a 5-year-old after a jack slipped and the car he was working on fell on his head. His surname was Slow. (Or Slowe, or Slowwe, or something, but pronounced Slow).
I never met him before the accident, but apparently he wasn't the nicest guy.

Take that, athestits!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

It's like white people named Chico, it's where they were conceived :v:

My real name is Penis Invagina Cotton.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

Did they honestly name their kid Keiythan?

No they named their skeletree tattoo Keiythan Aiden Becki.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

About twenty years ago I was at school with a kid named Keltie. His mum cut his hair like Barry Manilow.

Oh and at work I saw a file for a set of twins named Sennamon and Kayenne: adorable.

OK how does Barry Manilow cut hair?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The gently caress is a SIL?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fizbin posted:

Sister-In-Law?

Jesus. In that case it's the shittiest abbreviation ever devised by a mentally incompetent shitfuck because it could just as well be son-in-law.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

Sure but going by the assumed age of forum posters that didn't even cross my mind. I mean you're technically right and all but in the context of SA members sister in law is gonna be far more likely than son.

All the goons I personally know are old enough to have son-in-laws :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

Someone please tell me this is a normal name in a language I don't speak, because right now it's doing me in. Yasp?

Sister of Welp.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Istari posted:

That was my initial thought, too.
That said, the name was painted on a decorative sign, not a legal document; it could be a nickname that is in no way related to the kid's real name.

YASP, bithc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barely even shat out of her!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

eating only apples posted:

I work with a Hungarian lady whose surname is a Hungarian word meaning "Hungarian".

She's Anna Hungarian, the Hungarian.

Names like that are extremely common all around the world.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

insufficient guns posted:

Yeah it sounds weird, then you remember that the name Scott doesn't sound weird at all. Though living in Scotland, I don't think I've met a single dude called Scott. Pretty common back in Canada though.

Yes well in "Western" history you didn't usually name someone for their heritage if they were local because what would be the point then? (Although there's a fuckload of Suomalainens in Finland for some reason.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-BAUG97gZo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

Ji'Aire --> Jerry?

P.S. That is such a heartbreaking and creepy story, terrible names aside.

When I was a Jaffa lieutenant my name was Ji'Aire C'unts-unts-unts-unts (pronounced like techno overheard from a passing Toyota Corolla with the tinted windows rolled up).