Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Moose posted:

Pretty sure Theron is an actual name people sometimes have. But holy crap Nazim. Best name on that list. He is almost certainly named after someone's D&D character or something.

There's a pair of really big D&D fans I know who named their daughter Narnra. Why that name? Because it's the name of Elminster's daughter in the Forgotten Realms. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There's a lawyer in my town named Mr. Ramsbottom. I'm sure it was prestigious once, but not any more!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

made of bees posted:

I already know someone who was named after her mom's DnD character.

There's a couple on the nerdiest Forgotten Realms forum who named their daughter Narnra. If you're not aware, FR is the most detailed/nerdiest D&D campaign setting.

So why Narnra? Because it's the name of the daughter of the famous wizard Elminster (my avatar, actually.) So yes they named their daughter a nonsense fantasy name after the D&D setting they liked the most. But it gets worse.

You see, Narnra is from the book Elminster's Daughter, which features the character Narnra trying to find her dad and getting mixed up in trouble. At least that's what the cover copy suggests. It's actually misleading: the title refers to the fact that a lot of fan-famous women are actually daughters of Elminster. There's a couple of scenes where these women just sit around in groups and talk about who daddy is.

So, yes, little Narnra, you are named after a D&D character. Also your dad probably cheats a lot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There's an MLB player named Kike Hernandez.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I can believe it. There's some crossover with women in that group since it is a property for girls.

Content: A baby in my extended family was just named Vercin, short for Vercingetorix.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Chrissy Popadics.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

learnincurve posted:

My adopted daughter is named after a vengeance demon from Buffy the vampire slayer.

Anya isn't that unusual a name, but nice setup.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Anita Bathe.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Istari posted:

I never thought about what an odd name Shakespeare is until I came across a Shakeshaft.

Did you get the milkshake?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Seen on a form today: Guy Parent, CPA. I have no proof that this person is really three fourth-graders in a trenchcoat, but I have my suspicions.

Those are sadly both common Québécois names so it probably is an actual adult.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Taquisha McKitty.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Trae Snoozy and the hit of the summer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Daedra.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phy posted:

OK but if their first words are "reach heaven by violence" this is going to wrap right around to excellent

She runs a metal straw company so probably sadly not.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Labes for days posted:

Woman named Ashleyna requests help finding the perfect yoonïque baby name.

Enchantica
Magickal
Avacyn Fae
Zadist
Lajesha
Azalina

Avacyn is literally a magic the gathering set.

And Zadist sure made me wince.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Might have been a typo then, but there was a Gleen Green in the 1940 US Census: https://www.ancestry.com/1940-census/usa/Colorado/Gleen-Green_1g754j

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Bridge Ryder is the worst superhero.

Rivers McCall and Bridge Ryder sound like the next generation of Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Serenitie Wang.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hey look white people can have really bad stupid names too!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Sorry, when was that in question? Did someone say otherwise?

Oh it wasn’t. It’s just the whole reason we have that rule is because people kept using those fake names as dogwhistles about black people. Then one turns up and it’s white!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elohssa Gib posted:

I just get the feeling that Avorie is pronounced Ivory.

Or Avery. Fucks with me either way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That list is blindingly white.

the game is played on ice for a reason

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grundma posted:

Dr Elena Smagina who did her residency at the St. Petersburg Institute of Obstetrics & Gynecology

Knowing Russians it’s probably Sma-Geena, which is even more silly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bobby Digital posted:

I saw a Wheatley on a dating app today.

Did you ask him if the cake was a lie?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

betterinsodapop posted:

Yep, that is a rad name right there.

Content: I went to high school with a girl named Donna Lee Donnelly. Her brother? Danny Donnelly. :sigh:

Of the Black Donnellys?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Louis-Lous couchez avec Luis, ce soir?

Voulez-vous, oh no no no, me gotta go, oh no
Voulez-voud, oh baby, me gotta go

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cardinale posted:

A friend of mine is into genealogy and just posted on Facebook that they found a distant cousin (born 1701) called Admonitia Bastard
Might be more blessed than cursed

My mom's own genealogy work on us has turned up an ancestor named Ankaret Le Strange. (yes, that's an actual family that JKR borrowed the name from)

So pretty fun but also terrible?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

Not so terrible, I don't think. It just means foreign*.

e: *I assume; I can't be bothered doing any actual research.

sorry, I didn't provide all the details - this is one of my own like medieval ancestors, she was a loving baroness or some poo poo. English, so the name doesn't have some horrible secret meaning, it's just kinda fun/goofy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Laeticia Amihere.

I don't know, are you?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

That c spelling is kind of odd, but I've always liked Laetitia as a name. It's so stately and Latin, but still feminine.

It is a wonderful name, for sure. Plenty of 90s kids remembering Laetitia Casta fondly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://twitter.com/twolinepass/status/1413202573495050240

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Are good names allowed? Because my niece has a cousin named Brandon Steele and that's an astonishing name for a toddler to have. He's the coolest person in any room he's in by default.

I worry a toddler does not have a strong enough jaw for that name.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

I am 100% happy about the thread expanding to the names of places, because there are some absolutely bonkers ones.

you've probably seen it before, but:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PurpleButterfly posted:

I just sent a work email to a gentleman with the last name of Witcher.

did you give him a coin

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Winter Stormer posted:

Some more people who don't need their SSNs anymore.

Sledge Clinkscales
Sander Slagboom

these two sound like henchmen in a D&D adventure

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lady Disdain posted:

I wonder if the Slagbooms' ancestors were the early equivalent of bouncers.

Probably spent all their time protecting the dykes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Scribblemonger Throckmorton

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

It's Latvian.

A few years ago he got to play in the All Star Game because Latvians flooded the fan vote. He's not very good.

it's gonna take a lot of work to try and unseat the best all-star fan flood ever aka john scott

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I love that this got posted here because you’re likely thinking it’s poking fun at Rick Trickett and Dick Radar but it’s actually a tweet about how incredibly stacked with hall of fame American college football coaches that staff is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Marcade posted:

Identical twins Sol and Luna.

are you sure they were people and not pokemon game carts