Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mortimer posted:

Nintendo sells refurbed Wii U's plus nintendoland for $200.

worth it? It even says on the page "YOU WILL BE IMPRESSED BY OUR HIGH REFURB STANDARDS" but that makes me distrust it even more.
I heard that they're pretty much out of stock at this point, and if you didn't put your order in weeks ago you might be waiting awhile for them to ship it. But the people that have got them seem happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

I've been looking at this as well, but I want to point out because I just noticed it today, that unlike the deluxe edition, it doesn't come with a wiimote. It also doesn't come with the stands, but I don't really care about those.
Regular Deluxes don't come with Wiimotes, that's just the MK8 and maybe some other bundle. If you're gonna buy a Wiimote and MK8 and one of the other free games appeals to you, that bundle is a really good deal actually. I ended up going with that instead of buying a refurb.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The new Kid Icarus and Sakurai's interpretation of those characters has like gently caress all to do with the original game, but Palutena was totally in Kid Icarus 1. She was that game's equivalent of the princess and her name was in the Japanese title for it too.

Also play KIU.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Has he made anything at all since Ninja Gaiden DS?
Ninja Gaiden DS was really good though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Code claimed! Enjoy Wind Waker, homeless snail.
Thank you for saving me like $40, I will treasure them forever.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pichupal posted:

Worst comes to worst, the Mario Maker game uses the classic Mario platforming, even with the NSMB skin. Although the only thing people will be making are Kaizo levels.
Don't worry I'll offset the Kaizo levels with my own series of levels that will just have various curse words written in blocks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Setting up my Wii U, why isn't it letting me transfer my 3DS Mii? If I do it over wifi my 3DS says "This mii cannot be sent" and the Wii U says that it "cannot be received", and it also doesn't like the QR code that my 3DS spits out. Anyone run into this? Google isn't being very helpful.

e: My mii has both sharing and copying turned on before anyone asks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pichupal posted:

It could be an NNID issue if you have it linked to the account. This sounds stupid, but could you double check if you already have the Mii on your Wii U? You might already have to Mii.
I didn't see a choice to use my NNID mii, and the mii I just made is the only one on the system. But whatever, I guess I'll just have to deal with my mii looking slightly different between systems.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Okay, I just joined Club Nintendo and its telling me that all coins and reward status will be reset by the end of this month. Should I just wait to register all of my stuff until July then...?
Coins don't expire until like 3 years after they're registered, but July is the deadline for registering 600 coins worth of games to get your platinum reward for this year. If you're interested in chasing platinum status then wait until July to register stuff and fill out surveys, if not then it doesn't really matter.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No, those are all horrible names and more importantly: who gives a poo poo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

Which WiiU bundle is the better deal? The Zelda one or the SMB one? I also plan on getting Mariokart 8 and taking advantage of the free game promotion.
The Mario Kart bundle is probably the best value right now, especially if you need another wiimote. You can get Zelda or NSMB for petty cheap (or free if you find someone friendly enough) while Mario Kart is still gonna cost you $45-50. The Zelda bundle does have that sickass paintjob on the gamepad though, and that is priceless.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I wouldn't do this. I did this and Nintendo locked out both the Club Nintendo accounts I had and they deleted the game I got from the second account from my Wii U. Next time you log into the eShop, expect your free game to disappear. Calling them restored my main account, at least.
This is on the Club Nintendo end though, so if someone gives you a code for a specific game you should be fine. So long as the person that gives you the code isn't abusing CN themselves.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Make sure you play with the wiimote and nunchuck if possible.
The new gamepad control scheme they patched in like a week ago is really great, probably better than the wiimote.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

vvvv I forgot about that. I didn't get a chance to try it out so wouldn't know personally!
Its essentially the same thing as the wiimote controls, you're just using a stylus instead. Kinda like that Pikmin minigame in Nintendoland. Makes the tablet stuff a little more convenient to use too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Wait, so this stylus stuff was NOT in the game originally? Where I click things and press L to whistle?
Yeah, you can switch to the "classic" gamepad controls to see what it shipped with. They're bad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What determines which game in NES Remix has a bits multiplier going on? Does it change daily or something?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Can someone explain what the new controls are and why they're so good? I got the game and initially loved it but the gameplay was... overwhelming I suppose. I ended up getting distracted by other games because P3 never completely clicked for me. Maybe the update will help if I decided to get back into it.
Its not gonna change your mind about anything, it just lets you tap on the screen where you want to throw your pikmin.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Unlocking the cursor was just a big enough change to totally piss me off when I tried the classic controls. But that game wouldn't work with the Gamecube games' locked cursor cause most of the puzzles are designed around the precision of aiming of the vastly superior wiimote controls. Then again if you're using the wiimote you have to put down the gamepad which kind of defeats the point. The new stylus controls are the best of both schemes, In My Opinion.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Whats the deal with Pushmo World? I just picked up Pushmo on 3DS and it seems pretty fun, is Pushmo World just a prettier version on Wii U, or new puzzles? Or is there some new features/mechanics?
It has a few new mechanics but apparently they don't amount to much. The biggest new thing is level sharing over miiverse, instead of having to hunt down QR codes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

Since I finally broke down and bought a Wii U, and I never owned a Wii, what are the must have Wii games that I should catch up on?
If you never played Pikmin 1 and 2 on Gamecube, the Wii ports of those were really good. Little pricey now, though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mobius posted:

Considering you can get NSMBU when you register your MK8 bundle, you're basically paying an extra $30 to get Luigi and lose out on an extra wiimote. Bad deal.
But he could just get another game instead, and $15 each for NSMBU and NSLU is a pretty good deal?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

Wait, if I plug headphones into the gamepad it plays all the audio that would be on the TV through the headphones instead? Or am I misunderstanding you? Because that would be fine, I could just plug speakers into that.
Depends on the game. Some games have an option to send main audio to the gamepad, some games only let you do that in off-screen mode, some don't let you offload anything to the gamepad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

Is it ethically unjust to just have someone make an ad
Yes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The range on the gamepad is kind of short though, so depending on how far away your PC is from the Wii U and how many walls are between them it might not work/be a little sketchy.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Isn't the range like 30 feet or something? I can't go very far from my room with the gamepad before the signal cuts out.
Yeah and any kind of obstruction cuts it way down. The head of my bed is like 15 feet away through one and a half walls and its playable but kind of choppy. It doesn't work at all at the foot of my bed.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i like tacos posted:

I just bought the Mario Kart 8 bundle and I got a free game to choose from and I don't know what to choose. I have never played Wind Waker or any of the Pikmin series and I never really completed Super Mario Bros Wii. I'll probably be playing alone so I don't really know which one to choose. Can you goons help me out?
They're pretty much all good games, you can't go wrong. Pikmin is kind of like an action-strategy hybrid kinda thing if you like RTSes, Wind Waker is one of the best Zeldas, and by New Super Mario standards NSMBU is amazing. Just get whatever appeals to you or flip a coin or something. You'll probably end up buying the other two anyway.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Is this how everyone is playing mario kart? Whenever I check it out its empty.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

It isn't really like you made the game you know.
The gently caress does this even mean, I'm racking my brain here.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There is a boxshot of the US Bayonetta 2 floating around and it has a big ol "Bayonetta 1 included" stamp on it, doesn't look like a special edition or anything but who knows.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

m.hache posted:

For me it wasn't that the controls didn't work. It's just I didn't want to hold my arm out to aim for like 3 hours while playing Metroid Prime.
You didn't have to? You could play all the Wii games worth playing with your hands folded in your lap or your wrist resting on your knee.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nah, some games play real loving well with the Wiimote. The Wii ports of Metroid and Pikmin were way better than the Gamecube originals. The real consensus was that you don't know how to use a Wii.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can say that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

elf help book posted:

Do the Wii U gamepad or pro controller contain any kind of motion sensing to allow for the simple flick action in Mario Galaxy?
I don't know about the pro controller, but the gamepad has gyros and, by the way, its gyro controls are ownage in games such as The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and ZombiU.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

I think this may be the crux of it. You shouldn't "have to know" how to play a console. I can't really say too much because I only ever played my friend's Wii, but if it's not something that works extremely well and extremely easily, you're going to take people out of the immersion, especially when you were the company that created the controller as we know it today.
When I played Mario 64 for the first time I held the far left and right handles in my hands, stretched my thumb over to the stick, and jammed the middle spike into my stomach for stability. Video games are hard.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Don't forget about the Mario Kart deal too, you can get Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, or Wii Party U for free if you register it before the end of July.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

Right. An it's not so much that I didn't like it, as I didn't have a Wii and only played it minimally, I just don't think it's a meaningful statement to tell someone who obviously has been playing games for a long time (since they are posting in a forum dedicated to games) that their issue with the motion controls weren't with the motion controls, but that they were "not playing correctly". If a person who is very familiar with videogames can play your console so incorrectly to be arduous, the problem is that your console can be played incorrectly and not with the experienced gamer that is "playing incorrectly".

Basically, if an experienced gamer can "play incorrectly", the issue is with the designers, not the player.
I've got to say, that's an incredibly stupid argument. There are plenty of great games that can't be easily intuited without doing some research. Ultimately your line of thinking ends in 2 hour long tutorials in Zelda games and we don't want that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ghosts was particularly garbage even for a CoD game. Bad maps, no one liked the few new mechanics they added, single player campaign was horrible.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm happy to announce the Pokemon MMO you've all been waiting for. Pokemon Trozei Online.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Alteisen posted:

This is one of Japan's rewards.

So yea, these rewards are garbage, is it because they know they don't have to court the american market?
That's a sickass yoshi for sure, but the Japanese Club Nintendo has always been way better than the overseas ones and its not worth complaining about. What you need to do is fill out a bunch of surveys and demand "sick rear end yoshis" in every text box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

4. I still don't understand what a person does with stuffed animals.
According to the picture Yoshi is really good at caressing balls. Gives me a few ideas but unfortunately it didn't come out in America!!

• Locked thread