Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I have an online preorder, but the other day, I went to preorder the system in-person at a Gamestop instead, and they were out of the Deluxe package. They said I could still order the Regular package, but forget that, Deluxe or nothing.

I guess I'll stick with my online preorder, but I hope I actually get the thing when I'm supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Would this be any good as an icon?

I like this one by Angry Caterpillar. I think it's more important to have the "Wii U" text match the other thread icon fonts in the forum, like in this version, rather than match the official Wii U logo text.

And yes it doesn't have the negative-space U but whatever. It gets across the idea of it by having the U a different color.

EDIT-

Wotalt posted:

Better? (japtor's + thexerox123's)

This one looks nice too, I think. It keeps the "Wii" font AND the negative-space U. Makes everyone happy, maybe?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

That would make an awesome plot of a movie.

"Mom just couldn't take anymore Marth."

This is kind of the plot to post-apocalyptic gang movie "The FP", except that was about DDR. In the first 10 minutes, the main character's brother dies during a dance-off in DDR (except it's called Beat Beat Revelation).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRTS_sG1-_U&t=698s

Yeah that movie is pretty ridiculous. But that has nothing to do with the Wii U!

I'm hoping Nintendo has more digital purchases of games in the future. Steam's pretty great, and I'm glad the 3DS and the Wii U are having some success with digital purchases. Hopefully these trends continue and Nintendo becomes less scared of the internet!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
They mean it's specifically more like the SMW overworld, in that each of the areas are connected together into one larger map.

Compare that to SMB3 or the NSMB games, which have discrete worlds that are totally separate. Also, NSMB games tended to have maps that you'd largely travel in one direction, like World 1-1 being the leftmost spot on the map and linearly going to the right, where you have World 1 castle, and then the end of the map. Whereas in SMW, you might travel in an arc around Donut Plains to get to the Vanilla Dome entrance.

Basically the overworld maps won't be like a gussied-up level selection, but be more like a world.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

True, but I mean, both Star Wars and Zelda fit Joseph Campbell's model pretty well. Does anyone really want to play a Star Wars adventure game with Link and Ganon?

I'm more inclined to see a steampunk Zelda than a sci-fi Zelda only because I think it fits with the world better. Zelda isn't something like Xenoblade or Phantasy Star where it feels comfortable to go into that genre.

I think that Skyward Sword was even going a bit into sci-fi direction. The spirit that helped Link, named Fi, was pretty much just an AI interface with the sword. She'd talk like a robot about the probability for stuff happening, and seemed like a computer program to me. And there were a few points in the game that almost felt like "technomagic". Like, the portal that opened up had a very gear-based motif, for example.

(Does this count as a spoiler for Skyward Sword?)

At any rate, I can only look forward to what they'll do with Zelda on the Wii U. I wouldn't mind a slightly more sci-fi direction, but I think handling it like some kind of technomagic rather than just spaceships and lasers or whatever.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Well I think Zelda games have often had those tower enemies that shoot beams at you, but yeah they were definitely more robot-themed in Skyward Sword.

So for people who don't want sci-fi in their Zelda, it's already there.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Yeah I got that controller through Amazon as well.

And yes, it has a switch on the back of it that changes the controller type. Note that it doesn't actually get recognized as a Wii U controller. It can be recognized as either a Wii remote, where X and Y are used as the 1 and 2 buttons, or it can be recognized as a Wii Classic Controller (the kind you plug into a Wii remote). The two switches on the back are used to switch if it is Wii remote or Wii Classic controller, and to switch the direction the accellerometer is recognized as side to side or forward/back, to allow for how it is kind of a Wii remote held sideways but not.

It's an interesting controller, and I like it for New Super Mario Bros U. But I'm a little sad that it's only recognized as Wii remote or Wii Classic, and not Wii U Pro controller.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

SeANMcBAY posted:

That sounds uncomfortable. If they change that mapping then I would consider getting one.

Yeah, I think A and B would have been better used as the 1 and 2 buttons. But given my options of ridiculous SNES-style classic controller or sideways Wiimote for New Super Mario Bros U, I think the crazy SNES controller wins. Though versus the Wii U Gamepad is another matter.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Holy cow, the closest Gamestop to me that has Xenoblade listed in stock is 80 miles away? No way I'm driving there. Maybe I should've picked it up before, if I wanted it for my US Wii or Wii U.

Luckily I've already got Xenoblade for my mother's European Wii anyways. Of course, I need to visit her in London if I ever want to actually finish it and that is slightly farther than 80 miles...

Well at least I have plenty of other Wii U games to play. Like Zombi U! That thing is pretty great.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Whoa, yeah they definitely got a ton of stock of Xenoblade. I remember a couple months back checking the availability of it around me, and I remember it only listed two or three Gamestops within an hour of me that had a used copy in stock. Now apparently every Gamestop in the area has copies of it.

So either everybody suddenly decided to go give Gamestop their used copies of the game or they found some copies somewhere.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Maybe people in this thread won't get bogged down with smashchat!

Look at this controller! Feast your eyes!

Pretty rad. Though looks like a Classic controller, so it plugs into a wiimote. There's also a Peach and a Yoshi one.

EDIT: Yes, this is the one that's being made by PDP.

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 11, 2014

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Hm, they said it should be available for pre-order on Gamestop's website apparently, but it's not listed yet. And in limited quantities! Aiee!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

noirstronaut posted:

Does that mean this one is all a dream?

I think I'm going to wind up buying both Mario/Peach branded classic controllers and also the official Nintendo GC controller remake. I like controllers.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
So is the US box art for Adorable Clay Kirby going to still give him angry eyebrows?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Ruggington posted:

they confirmed 2D silhouette last night alongside pacman

Now now, he wasn't quite CONFIRMED. Just because Mr. Game & Watch appeared in the Pac Man trailer doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a fighter again.

But it seems likely.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Alex WS posted:

I'm having a hard time choosing my free game in the Mario Kart promotion. Stuck between Monster Hunter and Wonderful 101. Will Monster Hunter be fun if I never play with others? And I usually get tired of fast stylish action games, but Wonderful 101 might have the charm to make up for it? Halp me guys.

Well you're in luck, because those games aren't among the options for the free game! You only get a choice out of four possible free games.

Those would be Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, NSMBU, and Wii Party U or whatever. So you'll have to pick one of those.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Wait what

:(

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Steve2911 posted:

It's on the same level as the NSMB games, only it's actually good. It's no Galaxy, and no successor to the Galaxy throne.

No way is it on the same level as a NSMB game, that's what NSMBU is. The Mario 3D games are intended to bridge the gap between sidescrolling and 3d platforming Mario games, and they do that beautifully.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Wait, so I tried yesterday to play Game & Wario multiplayer but couldn't get additional wii remotes to work, but apparently the multiplayer doesn't involve multiple controllers? What madness is this!

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Ultigonio posted:

I sat down to play Game & Wario and the Destiny beta around the same time. I'd estimate that I had roughly the same amount of fun playing either game (probably more fun playing G&W, actually).

Gamer actually kicks serious butt - even just the Balloon Fighter microgames are really strong, and there's an insane number of them so you don't really get tired of 'em ever. I like Taxi but it's insanely rough around the edges and has so much missed potential that it actually kind of hurts. Patchwork is a cool, surprisingly original take on the style of thinking generally present in jigsaw puzzles. Gamer really steals the show, though.

Yeah, Gamer is really fun. Even just playing the microgames by themselves is like a good old-fashioned batch of WarioWare microgames, but then in 9-Volt mode with the metagame of hiding it from your (creepy) mother? It's like extra fun on top of fun.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Lemming posted:

I've been having a lot of fun with it.

9 Volt's mom is the ultimate creeplord, holy poo poo

9 Volt's mom is nuts. She comes out of the TV, walks around the room, and sits down to watch TV while her son is supposed to be asleep in bed. And of course those eyes...

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Monkey Fracas posted:

It truly seems random whether they decide to include support for the Classic Controller/Classic Pro Controller even in games that use the Wii U Pro Controller. Look at the rightmost column on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_games_that_use_the_Wii_U_Pro_Controller

Okay, I know it's Wikipedia and all and they're kind of stupid about stuff at times, but why is Smash Bros listed as "unknown" to if it will support classic controllers? There are those Gamecube-style third-party licensed "Fight Pad" classic controllers being made to coincide with Smash Bros release, of course the game is going to work with classic controllers.

Or at least, Smash Bros had BETTER work with classic controllers, cause I'm either using a Mario themed GC-style controller or a regular GC controller.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Alteisen posted:

No this stinks, listen to this one instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1kf-OJdvb4 :colbert:

This one kinda reminds me of a song from the Adventure Time game, Hey Ice King Why'd You Steal Our Garbage. This song is on a flying machine, I take it? The Adventure Time one also had flying involved, but it has lyrics! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSfIqjtZneo

I should probably get that Shovel Knight game. It looks pretty nice.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I wish there was an easier way to play Gamecube games than plug it (or a Wii) into my TV. I can play some N64 games on my Wii U, why not GC? I'd like to play Double Dash, but it'd be a pain to dig out my GC box.

Even though it won't happen, it'd be nice if having the GC controller adapter let you play GC games on the Wii U.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Just get one of those crazy Wii Classic Controller / Wiimote controllers that look kinda like SNES-style controllers.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Controller-Wii-Nintendo-U-6304900/dp/B009O3WU2A/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_16

There, 30 bucks. It's a Wii classic controller-style controller that is its own Wiimote. It's nutso and rad.

EDIT - Also not... exactly the BEST quality controller. But it's an interesting niche and looks cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
If someone is bad at Mario 3, I vaguely recall that the SNES version made a few things sliiightly easier, like adding a second block next to a block you drop down onto. I feel like the GBA version was even more slightly easier like that too, but don't remember details.

Pretty much any remake of SMB3 should have fixed a few things and made some things a tiny bit easier, and the NES one is the original.

EDIT - The GBA version seems to have quite a number of minor changes to it, some to account for smaller screen space, some to make things easier!
http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_snes2sma_w1.shtml

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 14, 2014

• Locked thread