Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Well poo poo. I got my refurbished Wii U in, but I have an issue: after I sync my gamepad, the picture does ths vertical roll thing. The weird thing is, before the pad syncs its fine. The startup logo and the screen where you input the card suits to sync the pad is fine. Once that happens I get a jittery mess. Anyone run into this issue, or am I going to have to send this drat thing back?

I'd call Nintendo Support, but of course UPS ran late and dropped it off right before they closed for the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

Well poo poo. I got my refurbished Wii U in, but I have an issue: after I sync my gamepad, the picture does ths vertical roll thing. The weird thing is, before the pad syncs its fine. The startup logo and the screen where you input the card suits to sync the pad is fine. Once that happens I get a jittery mess. Anyone run into this issue, or am I going to have to send this drat thing back?

I'd call Nintendo Support, but of course UPS ran late and dropped it off right before they closed for the day.

Update: I tried updating the console to see if that would fix it and it only made things worse. Now I'm getting weird flashing patterns and lines with no discernable picture at all. Guess I got a dud. :(

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

bef posted:

Condolences potential wii u gamer. May Nintendo repay you for these frustrating times.

The worst part is that I've had Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, and DK Tropical freeze sitting on my shelf for the past week (Target deal) begging me to play them. Having the drat thing finally arrive and be a dud made it hurt worse. :(

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

Zonekeeper posted:

Update: I tried updating the console to see if that would fix it and it only made things worse. Now I'm getting weird flashing patterns and lines with no discernable picture at all. Guess I got a dud. :(

Update #2: I borrowed my sister's Wii U gamepad and synced it to my console. The issue didn't pop up, so that means the issue is restricted to the gamepad. Called up Nintendo and the representative set me up with a free repair after fighting the repair order system for 45 minutes. (the system kept trying to charge me, and she had to escalate it to get it set as a free repair.) You bet your rear end I sent that rep an overwhelmingly positive review.

The bad news: I'll have to send off my gamepad and will be without it for a bit.

The good news: I set up my system with the borrowed gamepad, so I can play my games with the Pro controller until I get my working gamepad in the mail. Can't use the internet browser, change the settings, or do anything else that requires the gamepad, but I can play Mario Kart, Zelda, and Mario 3D World. (Which is the only thing that really matters.) I'm actually surprised I can do those things with a missing gamepad, so Kudos to Nintendo's UI designers.

Edit: Oh hell yes - connecting my Club Nintendo account to the console earned me 160 coins despite the console supposedly not being eligible. Only 50 coins away from gold for next year already.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 2, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Fremry posted:

Yeah, I think the worst anyone has reported is a system that had a couple fingerprints on it from being held without gloves. Mine was immaculate.

My gamepad was defective, but the console itself was immaculate. Even gave me reward coins when I connected it to my Club Nintendo account.

On another note, where's a good place to get a black Wii Classic Controller Pro on the cheap? Ebay's clogged with knockoffs and a lot of stores no longer carry them since they got discontinued.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I guess the prizes have the inherent issue of either being underwhelming or being something good enough that it should have gotten a wider release. Perfect example being the SNES classic controller from a few years ago. That's something everyone should have access to, not a limited exclusive.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

Never played Paper Mario. 250 coins sounds like pretty amazing value.

There have been hints that Nintendo's going to be bringing N64 games to the WiiU VC soon™, so hopefully it won't be long until we can convert it over for ~$2.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Afro posted:

I'm in the same boat. I have a Wiimote but no Classic controller. I can't seem to find a decent deal on a Classic Pro either, and there are many articles saying Nintendo discontinued them along with the original. How they expected to keep supporting the Wii Shop channel and not make more controllers is kind of baffling though.

Well, even if the "hints" are bullshit, hopefully pressure from angry nerds who can't play the N64 VC titles they keep offering on Club Nintendo will light a fire under their asses.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Lagomorphic posted:

It would be nice if they could just patch Wii mode to think any connected Wii u pro controllers are Gamecube controllers and treat them as such. Or if they had made VC stuff playable with a wiimote + nunchuck in the first place.

Honestly, I'd rather see the effort required to do that put into porting the N64 library to the WiiU's VC. No point in going through all that trouble when they could bring the games up to modern VC quality.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Shelf Adventure posted:

You guys sure get worked up about free poo poo.

The issue is that the "free" N64 game in question requires 1: A peripheral that is not included with the system (not everybody owned a wii prior to picking up a Wii U) and 2: A second peripheral that hooks up to the first, which has been discontinued and is getting difficult to find at a reasonable price.

Even if you find a classic controller at its old MSRP (good luck), you're shelling out $60 ($40 for the wii remote and $20 for the classic controller) to play that "free" game.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

jivjov posted:

So choose one of the other reward games or hold your coins for the next batch.

I'd agree if Paper Mario wasn't the best reward available by far. I happen to own everything necessary to play it, but I can definitely see why people are pissed off because it's a stupid reason to skip a great game.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Ultigonio posted:

I imagine that the 8GB Wii U was Nintendo's way of cutting corners as much as they possibly could because they knew that $350 seemed way too expensive.

That's exactly it. Nintendo's been big about releasing their consoles around the $200-$250 price point for all of their consoles in the past. Launch prices for past consoles were: NES+SMB=$199 (NES+ROB+Zapper+SMB/Duck Hunt/Gyromite=$249); SNES+SMW=$199; N64=$199; Gamecube=$199; Wii+Wii Sports=$249

What they didn't count on is that the initial install base would ignore it in favor of the more expensive option to the point that white Wii Us are incredibly rare. They might as well start selling a white 32GB variant to justify the existence of all the white peripherals collecting dust in store displays.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mr. Neutron posted:

The DPAD on the Pro Controller is extremely stiff and uncomfortable, I originally thought I would also use it on PC for MK9 and Injustice but nah.

Stiff or not, it's still a Nintendo dpad. It's the same design we know and love, it just feels like they're using a stiffer contact pad between the DPAd and the board. Probably just needs to be worn in. Failing that, perhaps a mod involving swapping in an SNES controller's rubber contact pad would work.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

enojy posted:

You got it mixed up! The website states that it IS eligible for DDP, but NOT eligible to be registered as a new console (thus earning you 160 coins) on Club Nintendo. However, my refurbished unit registered itself or something, and I got the 160 coins anyway. I've read of others getting those coins, too, as well as people not getting coins.

I have a feeling it boils down to whether or not the original owner of the console had already registered it on Club Nintendo, if there even was an original owner.

That's exactly it. Nintendo is just covering their rear end by saying they aren't eligible. In practice, a number of them never got registered before Nintendo refurbed them, so they reward coins anyway.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Got the last pro controller at my Best Buy

It's really comfortable, but the face buttons being so far in is kind of throwing me off. I'm sure I'll get used to it after I kick my Gamecube muscle memory...

That's honestly my only complaint with it so far - playing an SNES VC game on it is weird because my thumbs rest naturally on the A/X buttons and left stick instead of the B/Y buttons and D-pad. It feels like I'm stretching my thumbs too far inward when playing that way. On the flip side, the Wii U games I have (SM3DW, NSMBU, DKC:TF, MK8) work with the A/X button position just as well as the B/Y one, so at least I don't have to contort for those games.

It's not as much of an issue on the Gamepad since the D-Pad/Buttons are just below the sticks at least. I almost wish Nintendo went for the Dual-Shock-like layout they used with the Classic Controller on the Pro.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want a SNES controller for VC games, try hunting down one of the original Classic Controllers for the Wii. The genuine versions are pretty easy to identify, as they have "Wii" on them above the Home Button.

I already have a pair of CC Pros, so that's not an issue. That said, the Wii U Pro is way more comfortable to hold - it just fits the hands better than the CC Pro. It feels like the handles on the CC Pro are too "vertical" - They could stand to get angled outward just a bit.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wonder how hard it would be for them to make the Wii U Pro just work where the Wii Pro/Classic works. Little irritating as they seem so similar, but I don't know anything about how the "Wii Mode" on the Wii U works.

So say I got my hands on a Wii Pro controller- would that work like a Wii U Pro controller or would it only work with Wii games and Wii VC?

As long as you have a Wii Remote to plug it into (It won't work on its own), it will work in any Wii or Wii U game that supports it. Unfortunately, back in the Wii days CC support was incredibly spotty, especially in 3rd party games. From what I've seen, some Wii U games that support the Wii U Pro controller also support the Classic Controller (mainly platformers like the Mario games).

Chances are that the Wii U Pro controller will never work in Wii mode because the Pro controller communicates with the console completely differently than the Wii remotes. Unlike most modern consoles, the Wii OS doesn't run "on top" of the game, so any controller support would have to be built into the game disk itself. On top of that, Wii games can't be patched so they can't add support that way either. For the same reasons, the Gamecube controller adapter probably won't work in Wii mode since the original Wii didn't connect to the hardware GCN ports through USB.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not necessarily. They might be able to fudge the USB coding to recognise the gamecube adapter as four gamecube ports when it's connected, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The WiiU Pro controller, and gamepad controls for that matter, are completely out as they broadcast and receive commands via wireless rather than bluetooth. The "Wii" simply has no way to know they exist because it never had them. The only reason they managed to get Wii games broadcasting to the Gamepad screen is because it uses the same hardware to stream it anyway and gets toggled in the WiiU's OS.

Hence why I said it "probably" wouldn't work. I'm sure it's possible to do some wizardry to trick the vWii into thinking the adapter is a set of hardware Gamecube ports, but there's no guarantee Nintendo will put in the effort to actually do it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I'm definitely going to try making the Pro controller my main control method in Smash at least. Getting used to the right side of the controller being upside down will be the hardest part, I think. (the "C-stick" is above the buttons and I'll likely use A/X as the attack buttons and B/Y as jump)

If it doesn't work out I can use the Gamecube controllers as a fallback, at least. The best part will be that they're manufacturing the things again.

I kinda wish they would make an official "Wavebird 2.0" Pro controller though, where they stick Pro controller guts into a Wavebird shell. I know there's 3rd party approximations of this, but I want a Nintendo-made version.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Fremry posted:

It sucks that the Wii U numbers are such that there's not really any way to recover this generation, but it's honestly renewed my interest in videogames in a way that I haven't had in over a decade. I think I've put more hours on my Wii U in the past month than I put in video games overall for the 2-3 years prior to that.

Honestly, I don't give a poo poo about the numbers. All I care about is playing the awesome games that are coming out. I've spent more on Nintendo products in the last 6 months than I've spent on video games in general in the past year (If you leave out Steam Sales, you can extend that to 5+ years.) and I've still got a long list of stuff to get that was shown at E3.

Nintendo is delivering the goods, and I'm eating every bit of it up with a smile on my face.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

Yeah I agree completely. I don't mind the military FPS stuff being available for people who want it, but I don't play video games for that kind of experience. I prefer much more creative fare, stuff that is interesting and innovative, something I can't possibly find in the real world. They have all this technology at their fingertips and this is the best they have to offer? The greatest thing they've got going for E3? Sad.

The worst part is that they have far superior graphics tech available to them and they still can't seem to make things that look as good as some Wii U games. One of Nintendo's greatest strengths is their ability to design games that pop visually, and the upgrade to HD was absolutely stunning. The main reason I want to see a new Mario Galaxy game (Or at least a remake of the originals) is that the Wii ones looked amazing even in SD, and would only look better in HD.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 22, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Astro7x posted:

How does Pikmin 3 compare to the previous games in the series? I'm finally getting around to playing it as my free MK8 game, and I've never played another game in the series. I kind of dig it, now I'm wondering if I missed out on a couple great games.

The first two Pikmin games got re-released on the Wii with wiimote controls, so you can try to hunt down copies of those.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Macaluso posted:

:qq: I'm... so... happy

Same here. They're fixing the things that really stuck out to me as lovely UI decisions and I love them for it. :swoon:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I think both types of Zelda games have their merits. While I admittedly haven't played Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess was a great entry in the series whose main flaw was being Nintendo's reaction to the negative press Wind Waker got for daring to do something different - the fanbase screamed for something closer to OOT and they certainly delivered on it. It pretty unashamedly rips off OOT's entire game formula while mixing in a bit of LTTP. The waggle controls were pretty obviously tacked on, but ranged weapons that used the cursor were a very welcome addition and their evolution into OOT3D and WWHD's motion controls is one of the best control upgrades the series has gotten.

A Link Between Worlds is excellent - it seems familiar on the surface but once you get into the meat of the game it becomes much more than a retread of LTTP. I was fully expecting to see maps lifted wholesale from LTTP but was surprised to see that aside from some overworld/dungeon locations they moved drat near everything around and didn't re-use any of the dungeon layouts. They even got rid of the usual "retrieve this dungeon's item and use it to finish the dungeon/beat the boss" formula in favor of a money sink, and stuck 100-300 rupee chests in hard-to-reach places in every dungeon to facilitate buying your weapons. Hell, they even include things similar to the first game, build your expectations up, then swerve you. Perfect example: In the Thieve's Hideout in The Dark World Lorule, the girl you lead around the dungeon is suspiciously similar to the one in LTTP that turns into the boss. but when you enter the boss's room she gets locked out and the boss from the first game shows up anyway. (Despite being the same character, the fight isn't a retread.)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

The level design and physics are really tight, for sure. Everything else about the games is lazy and basic.

The only reason people bitch about the newer NSMB games is that they've been using the same art style for the whole series so anyone seeing screenshots without playing it assumes it's a low effort sequel/expansion pack that was shat out by the devs in a month. Can't really blame them after years of other developers doing that exact thing. I guarantee you that if Nintendo used a different visual style and released the exact same game nobody would have bitched about it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

The art style is passable but I think we can all agree that most of the music sucks.

That part I can agree on. If it had a SM3DW-caliber soundtrack it would be amazing - that was half the reason 3D World kicked as much rear end as it did.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

I'm in full belief that the New series only exists to please people who want a classic Mario sidescroller. In a perfect world, Nintendo would make a sidescroller like SMB 3 with All-Star sprites, but we don't always get what we want, do we.

I think they can make a NSMB game that differentiates itself from the rest of the series without needing to go back to sprite animation, they just need to pull more stuff from SM3DW. Orchestrated music, being able to store an extra item SMW style, more visually distinct levels, etc. Make it feel like an upgrade that brings something new to the series. Maybe bring back honest-to-god flight items, none of this acorn/newschool tanooki gliding poo poo. (I know about the complaint with skipping whole levels by flying over them, but it wouldn't be an issue if they designed the levels around it. Treat it like the cat suit - an item that less-skilled players can use to get through the game easier.) Characters with the SMB2-style differences would be ok, but I'm also fine with them leaving that as a 3D series thing.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Yeah, I mean, it's not my favourite Mario game, but calling it a bad game is a bit of a stretch. You know what, though? PS1 outsold Nintendo 64 almost 3-1, so he wasn't the only one who felt like that, evidently.

Mario 64 suffers from the same issue as SMB for the NES: it was completely revolutionary when it came out and it set the standard for games of its type, but eventually its sequels refined its formula to the point that it feels primitive now.

Sure, it's not the best example of a 3D platformer now, but when it released nobody had done anything like it and games that came after it clearly used (and in some cases improved upon) its formula.

You pretty much had to play it when it came out - if you try to go back to it after playing Mario Galaxy you'll probably write it off because it's unrefined in comparison.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 14, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Also I think the music is actually pretty good except it's ruined by those "wahwah"'s. It's a shame those are like the trademark of the New franchise because they're really terrible and omnipresent.

The New series wouldn't get half the poo poo it gets if it had the same music quality as 3D world

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Literally every console is flooded with ads and Nintendo's has the fewest by far of any console

Seriously, if you think the gamepad occasionally blinking on to alert you to a sale occasionally is bad (a feature that can be disabled, even), imagine half the tiles on the home screen being taken up by adspace like on the Xbox with no option to get rid of them.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Thanks for talking up NSMBU's later game a bit. Something about the first world just had me feeling meh, but I picked it back up, got through 2-1 and then started enjoying the game again. I don't know if the game just took time to click or if there's some issue with the first levels I can't put my finger on, but they just felt like an unfun chore.

Are you me? I was unimpressed by World 1, but now that I'm halfway through World 2 the game is starting to grow on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Ultigonio posted:

Yes, it's optional, you big baby. If you've played WWHD, you should be aware that it's entirely functional and even adds to the experience by not being mind-numbingly slow (or imprecise) like stick aiming typically is.

I got my first taste of that aiming style with OOT3D on the 3DS, and I will accept nothing less in the future. I went from "barely able to hit a goddamned thing without Z-targeting" to a sniper when I started using it. It's the single most intuitive way of aiming I've ever used, even more than wiimote aiming was in TP.

• Locked thread