Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Bobnumerotres posted:

Have a little five minute tutorial that teaches you how to attack and pick up herbs/carve monsters and there, Great Jaggi fight. If you can't beat the G.Jaggi the game will kindly ask you to return it to gamestop unless you want to avoid further embarrassment.

That isn't elitist at all. Try to remember how hard your first hunts were. Pretty hard to remember, right? The tutorial should stay, but there should be a Great Jaggi hunt to prove that you don't need hand holding during the tutorial. Like a "oh hey that is one dead Jaggi come home lets get you to rank 3 instantly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Who cares? Most games made with Unreal Engine are pieces of uninspired poo poo anyways.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

I hope you're prepared for the WiiU ports of all that "uninspired poo poo" like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Arkham and Borderlands.

Paper Jam was right, I said MOST. Also, I find Bioshock to be among those uninspired shits. :)

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

The statement only holds true because it is true of most games in general. Name another game engine with 4 franchises from 4 different developers like that.

Also, if you don't like Bioshock Edoraz, what about Mortal Kombat, XCOM Enemy Unknown, Dishonored, Bulletstorm (all different developers again). These are the kinds of games and developers that allow a system to keep its momentum going when a huge 1st party game isn't slated for a nearby release. Unreal Engine support is hugely important in that regard and has become ingrained in many development houses.

Alright, you got me, those are good games coming out or are out. I think its time for developers to own up and make actual good games, though. All the graphics and shortcuts in the world can't save you from making a bad game if it has no design sense towards fun. I'm just a little burnt from the Xbox/PS2 to early PS3/360 age.

I probably judge this poo poo too harshly, and get mad at video games when I shouldn't. Angry classic gamer?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

BovineFury posted:

Unity for the Wii U. Who here will be the first to complain about it?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/19/nintendo-forms-wii-u-partnership-for-unity-engine

I will! I'm gonna complain that I have a low amount of words to disown this decision by! This will only mean more good games on the eShop, just as the person above me said.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

greatn posted:

Hideo Kojima said today his favorite game is Zelda: A Link to the Past. How much do I need to pay Nintendo to hire Kojima's studio to make the next Zelda?

Are you sure it wasn't Keiji Inafune, Mega Man's creator?

Also, I would hate Hideo Kojima forever if he took one of his proverbial shits all over Zelda. Metal Gear Solid 4 was terrible enough, I don't need an hour long cutscene of the creation of Hyrule from the standpoint of an evil money grubbing corporation Ganon Corp as it brainwashes the masses with NANOTECHNOLOGY.

VVV It's not that I don't get it, it's that I don't care. VVV

Edoraz fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 26, 2012

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Boy oh boy this game sure looks ugly or whatever people were bitching about!

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

MaxDuo posted:

I don't get it.

Goons are dumb.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

From what I heard a lot of the characters were DLC, that might leave a bitter taste in your mouth if you really wanted to play as Ulala or some other obscure character. Other than that the game looked okay to me.

...nooooooooo? Most of the characters were UNLOCKABLES, that you didn't have to PAY MONEY WITH. It wasn't even that obnoxious. It felt like you were rewarded for playing the game.

There was only one DLC character and track. Metal Sonic and the Death Egg Station or something like that.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Liku posted:

So, is MH3U a giant amalgamation of P3 and Tri with bonus stuff?

Easiest way to say it.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Maybe I shouldn't have said brawl vs. melee, more like people who don't think Smash bros should be a fighting game vs. people who think it can be both a fighter and a party game.

But yeah, let's end the discussion here. Sorry.

I wonder what kind of art style the game will adopt. Will it look something like playstation all stars? I've seen people playing it and I don't know, all the models look like they bathed in grease, and they sort of clash with the backgrounds.

Then again, it's insanely difficult to take all these different characters from different games and genres and make them all blend together. The people behind the art in MvC3 are geniuses.

I think they've done well with the art style since Melee and Original. It's kind of all over the place with Brawl. I hope this game returns to its roots better, that's all I'm saying don't turn this into a drat Melee vs Brawl / Casuals vs Tourney Player sort of thing.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Guess who's not a playable character?! loving Little Mac, bitches!

I remember when people were setting the internet ablaze for that. It was glorious. :allears:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

The baby Andross! :supaburn:

Mach Rider would be an awesome replacement for a character for Darksiders. :v:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Liam Acerbus posted:

Well maybe I don't wanna hold it up to my mouth hole every time I speak. :colbert:

I don't when I play my vita, and the drat thing picks up almost every rustle and fart. Probably going to have the same sort of Mic on the Wii U.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I've been watching that too and if a Wii U Four Swords game had online play I'd be all over that. It could have so many neat features!

You know what online is? Scary.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

So... why do you need voice chat in a racing game?

edit:

Or any non-coop game? Team Deathmatch sort of stuff I can understand a bit though, gotta control those little mongrels some how.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Surlaw posted:

It's fun talking with the right people.

I agree.

thexerox123 posted:

If you're playing online, you'd rather sit in silence and have no communication with the people you're playing with?

And I also don't mind this.

:effort:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

I had a feeling it was something like that. It's not like I could say with a fact that I could buy a working headset that I could rely on on launch.

Though I'm gonna call it, Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate will not have voice chat because the Japanese are largely shy (that really is the excuse!).

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

All driven by Miyamoto. With Mustaches.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

japtor posted:

I hope Monster is working on Excite Wave 1080 or something, just throw all the poor selling racing games together into something insane.

I would love to go wave racing on top of a Monster Truck in snowboarding gear. It would be most metal. :black101:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qLQ1TnH4IY
Watching this LP has made me think: How loving cool would it be if they released a downloadable 2D Zelda game with smooth visuals and high-def sprites?

Internet is scary, and that would cost beaucoup money. That ain't gonna happen unless the game would merit a physical release, too.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Call corporate and let them know. They're going to have to roll the thing out the next time their Area Manager/a Nintendo rep (rarely, but it happens) comes by anyways because Nintendo is paying good cash for these machines to be placed and if GameStop doesn't comply they're in serious poo poo.

I love my store's reason for having it turned against the wall and unplugged: little kids tore the poo poo out of first 3DS display, and when I was working there I was constantly cleaning it from finger prints and other bodily fluids. The poor thing eventually broke to the little mongrels, I believe, but I left waaaaaaaaay before I could see that happening. Bet it was one of the regular temper tantrums we get. "I DON'T WANNA LEAVE *so I'll just grab the nearest stack of games and throw it to the ground*"

We kept the Vita in the glass display box, we are keeping the Wii U off. District Manager gave/gives no fucks.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Chronojam posted:

Yeah but maybe if people complain about it, including straight to Nintendo, we can avoid Gamestop exclusivity bullshit from gaining momentum.

I'd be down for this.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Smuckles posted:

Whatever happened to doing a job the way it's supposed to be done? I get not enjoying a job. At times, I don't enjoy mine. But I still do it because I want it tomorrow.

Somebody is stuck in TVLand~! Sorry guy, but arguing with guys in suits who know nothing about the work or environment is about as fun as pouring acid in your eyes. At worst, they'll fire the degreeless peasant, and best, they'll take your idea, fire you, then run with it.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

I've been playing video games for over twenty years and I have never dropped a controller, handheld or anything else I used to play bideo on the ground, much less with enough force to break it. What the gently caress.

Pussy hands is a hell of a thing.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's easy to understand where they went wrong with Star Fox, but F-Zero? The big complaint about the last one was that it was too hard, so... make it a little easier?

No, make it harder. That is the only way forward. And you get a controller like you did for Steel Battalion. And each car has a different way to start their engines, and if you fail YOU EXPLODE. :black101: If you turn incorrectly while braking and maintaining a nice cruising speed to keep an uplift, YOU EXPLODE. :black101: You finish the race in first place, but you were one nanosecond too slow to beat the world record, YOU DISAPPOINT. :smith:

THEN YOU EXPLODE. :black101: :black101: :black101:

We can rename the series to Drift Souls.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I didnt have the sense to pre-order the Wii U despite my Nintendo-Fanboy-ism, but are stores gonna have some consoles in stock on the day of release so I can be one of those crazy people who waited in line all night? Im assuming the answer to this is yes but I just want to verify.

You assume pretty incorrectly. Good luck and awesome job if you actually get one, the preorders are pretty much sold out.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

I still just prefer to lug around my 3DS or Vita instead of playing on my huge rear end Galaxy Note. It's like the fun factor of mobile games is super loving tiny compared to real games on a real portable system...

with real buttons.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Not all WiiU games will be able to be played exclusively on the tablet, correct?

I only have 1 TV in my house, and if all games were playable on the tablet, that would make multi-platform games like Assassins Creed 3 or Black Ops a no-brainier for the WiiU (assuming all other things being equal across platforms.)

Unfortunately, it seems like this isn't the case. Is there a list anywhere of what games can be taken "off tv" and which can't?

It's the developer's choice. The New Super Mario Bras and Sonic Racing Transformed are two I know of that can be played on the pad exclusively.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Echophonic posted:

Amazon's loving with me, right? I got my copies of Assassin's Creed 3 and Scribblenauts Unlimited today. I probably won't be getting my console until mid-next week (GameStop online preorder), so they're going to taunt me.

Ubisoft thinks they are being clever by releasing their games a week ahead.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

greatn posted:

Midnight launches are great if you want the hours and work there I guess. Otherwise they are really dumb. Go the gently caress to sleep, go to your job in the morning, there's plenty of time leftover for video games.

NO I NEED IT NOW

so i can sleep

then go to work

and let it wreck my imbecile mind as it sits in the box waiting for me.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Rocco posted:

I agree with chaotic in a bad way. I hated that poo poo.

At least its easy to figure out which goons were the butt end of being tossed into a death pit.

Cause I loved the four player in NSMBW.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

They said it's pretty creative, rivals Super Mario World in world design and stage design. Hell, I think Joystick said it gets drat sadistic towards the end and the special stages. Pretty much all the creativity and love went into this game, not the 3DS one.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

I generally takes those as "Oh, yeah, I wish they did this this and this, but man that doesn't subtract the quality and fun from this game, just makes me hopeful for the sequel."

I'm trying to be hopelessly optimistic, honestly. :sweatdrop: The recent trailers made me go from "Meh, I'll catch it on rental with my friends." to "Well Played, Nintendo, seems another spot of cash has gone missing from my wallet." Hopefully the game lives up to the scores and it wasn't Nintendo trying to cash them off. I mean, if it was, wouldn't Nintendland get better scores, too?

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

That may be but it's still hosed up that we're literally 2 days away from launch and only now getting this information. What next?

"The Wii U has been delayed due to The Invasion of Giygus!"

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Who has done a hyped up console midnight launch in a big city before? I know it's pretty local-store-dependent, but between the big retailers like Best Buy, WalMart, Target, etc. what is the best bet for a decent experience? Really hoping I don't have to get in line earlier than 12 hours prior to launch.

GameStop, honestly. You are around at least 25% like minded individuals, the rest negative spread. There is a really low chance you will meet someone worth talking to standing in line freezing your rear end off at BestBuy or Target.

Oh Wii launch memories. Almost tempted to play my first Wii game out of nostalgia, Twilight Princess. :allears:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Okay guys, Skyward Sword was a game, and everyone can have different opinions. Sure, he was out of line saying it like that, but don't you guys think you are defending this a little too hard? Imagine if a mod saw this. :allears:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Louisgod posted:

God dammit Nintendo what the hell is wrong with you

That poo poo is gonna be full the instant MonHun hits stateside. :(

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

You guys act like Nintendo can't fix these things anymore. Stop bitching here and shoot them an email. If enough of you complain, the worst that could happen is a press release saying "no."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Eyeglass cleaner would probably be best, alcohol if you think the children are plague-bearers. Just don't use alcohol too often, it can dry out anything its on, especially that gorilla glass.

Edoraz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 24, 2012

• Locked thread