Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Has there been any information on how downloads from the Wii will be transferred over to the Wii U? Is it going to be something retarded like having to set up a transfer over WiFi with both consoles running at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

boom boom boom posted:

Local multiplayer, gently caress yeah! The worst thing about this current(previous?) generation of videogames is multiplayer games ditching local in favor of online.

Why the gently caress they couldn't just add both, I won't understand. Wasn't he MP going to be for 5 players, 1 controlling the zombies and 4 others running around doing objectives? 4 player split screen looks awful.

Has there been any word on if ZombiU going to be open world or linear? I'd really love it to be the former.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bombadilillo posted:

It's openworld objective based. With safe houses. I don't know a lot about demon/dark souls but it sounds like hubs. But you get specific goals.

This makes me a happy person.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Right. I don't think any developer would pass up on gamepad display if they could avoid it, since it's such a useful feature.

I thought it was built into the console so all games would be able to display on the controller?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Veotax posted:

Agreed, I prefer a heavier controller. Back in the N64 days, I kept the rumble pack plugged in even when playing games without rumble because I liked the extra weight it added.

I'm in the same boat as you; I love when a controller has some heft to it. Hell, I like the added weight my Power Pak+ put on my 3DS. Don't like how light the Classic Controller or SixAxis controllers are, they feel so cheap.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Policenaut posted:

Does Classic Controller Pro have any better heft to it? Because I have a regular CC and I'd prefer to grab a CCP for my copies of Xenoblade and Last Story when the Wii U drops.

The shoulder buttons have better placement and the handles are a must, but the shoulder buttons are a bit too mushy and the controller still weighs nothing and feels hollow (because it is). Still, the best controller for the Wii though.

sigher fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 21, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Kind of like how looking in a bag would in real life???

This is pretty dumb, it has nothing to do with realistic and more with limiting your vision to build tension while you look through your inventory.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MonsterEnvy posted:

And its also realistic.

It build tension and is realistic Its win win.

Do you shove your face into your bag or not have any peripheral vision?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rake Arms posted:

The way my living room is set up, the TV will be in my peripheral vision. I imagine it would be the same for most players, barring some really weird, impractical furniture arrangement. I thought that was the point.

I'm talking about real life, you know, how looking into a bag you become wrought with tunnel vision.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They did this, I thought? Or a third party did, at least.

Yes, and all 3rd party GC/Wii controllers are utter poo poo. The Wavebird itself had a delay but at least it was well made controller.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

The Wiimote(+Nunchuck) is one of my very favorite controllers specifically because it is so drat comfortable. That's not just because it is split, but that plays a large part. Laying around playing Monster Hunter

Why anyone would want to make Monster Hunter harder is a mystery to me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

There isn't much you really have to do in Skyward Sword since combat isn't 1:1, just have to flick the remote in the proper direction.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TaurusOxford posted:

You honestly think that Nintendo is gonna be on par with Steam right out of the gate? You're clearly deluded...

Or ever? Nintendo will never be able to touch Steam unless there's a partnership somewhere down the line (which would be utterly loving awesome).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

Just a reminder: They hired a known war criminal who committed acts of treason against the United States to consult on this game, then hyped his name for publicity. So gently caress em.

Wait, what? Really? :psyduck:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well god drat that's hosed up. It's sad their still getting my money (twice) because of Zombies.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bobnumerotres posted:

Good news, now there's an entire co-op zombie campaign with wacky weapons.

Yup, hence why I'm buying it twice like a giant tool, one on 360 the other on PC.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bobnumerotres posted:

I really wanted the PC version, but this version supports the Wii Remote. :smug:

Man I'd love to play with an inferior control scheme. :shepface:

Though, using the tablet when you use the UAV would be awesome rather that taking up the TV.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You know there are other games that feature zombies, right? Like, an obscene amount. There's even a Wii U launch title named Zombi.

Which I'll be getting, and hopefully is just as good as CoD Zombies.

Chronojam posted:

Well yeah, why else would you have it on the 360? :raise:

Because I'm getting it on both PC as well as the 360.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

I really don't get the loving deal with Zombies. It's almost as ubiquitous as "BACON!" and seems like a huge in joke every one except for me is in on. Is it that people have found a fictional class of person it is morally acceptable to slaughter?

It's not so much the Zombies, but the Zombie mode that Treyarch has created is some of the best co-op gaming with a ton of depth, interesting mechanics/environments and different gimmicks for the different maps that change how you can play them. Plus the characters and story are fun. Though I will admit you need sperg levels of dedication to actually get most of the pieces of the story through playing the maps.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bobnumerotres posted:

I play driving games on PC all the time, don't exactly have the option of analog triggers there. Does this make me a bad person or are people who complain about this just whining? This isn't a wise-crack this is a legit question.

It really depends on the game, if you're playing a driving simulator than you probably really care about precision making playing like keys or buttons without any pressure sensitive really unenjoyable.

Do you play racing sims or arcade racers?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, the Gamecube definitely had my favourite analog triggers so far. The PS3's pivot awkwardly when pressed and the 360's are kinda tiny.

It's hard to tell for sure from a photo, but the Pro Controller doesn't look like its triggers have very far to depress, so analog seems unlikely.

Man that thing looks really loving chintsy, is it basically just a Classic Controller unteathered?

greatn posted:

The PS3 ones don't look like they have far to compress either, but they do. No one seems to know on the classic pro controller though, because no one who's held it bothers to mention.

What? The PS3 triggers make it pretty obvious they have 4 inches of give:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Really? It takes an inch or so for 'em to "click", I always figured all that give was due to them being analogue.

What? No they don't. They click almost immediately.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

japtor posted:

The Classic Controller had analog shoulder buttons with a bit of travel and a click at the bottom like GC triggers. edit-someone made a nerdy video proof of it...two months ago :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTsDsw32SIA

The Classic Controller Pro made them all digital and moved them around to be like the PS controllers.

drat, I don't even remember that on the regular CC but I dropped it so quick with the release of MH3 and gave it away so I'm not surprised.

Mill Village posted:

I saw that chainsaw controller at Gamestop back when it came out. How are you supposed to hold it? :stare:

The two handles I think? The black one and the regular chainsaw one. It's absolutely retarded.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zenintrude posted:

I can't confirm/deny that the keyboard function works with one of those, but I have a USB to GCN adapter that I used to connect a USB keyboard to my GCN, so I would guess that the reverse would be true as well...

IIRC, the ASCII keyboard controller has two plugs, one for the controller buttons and one for the keyboard section, so it would seem like it would have a good chance of working.

Would be nice if someone who had both could confirm this, though.

So you'd probably need 2 GC controller adaptors; but then it'd probably get registered on the PC as just a controller and you wouldn't have keyboard input. No clue though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chronojam posted:

For MH Tri, people without keyboards were so drat annoying.

Even playing with the Keyboard was horrid; taking the time to type anything meant risking instant death. I remember we always used Skype when I played with Goons.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chaltab posted:

Capcom: Never optimize. Never put forth effort.

Most console games don't run above 30 anyway.

I thought Pikmin 3 was the only thing to look forward to on the WiiU but with the news of MH3HD/screen/3DS version that links with the WiiU version I'm not even thinking about Pikmin 3 anymore.

The sad part is I'm probably going to be buying this for both the WiiU and the 3DS and probably a couple copies for some friends just so I have someone to play with locally (since I'm sure there's going to be plenty of Goons to play with online). And I might buy a 3DS or two for some friends that I know won't have the console or game at the time. :negative:

This game is going hurt my wallet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah, seriously. I thought Pikmin 3 was going to be the big deal within the first few months, but holy gently caress it was the tip of the iceberg.

I might not even bother getting it. MH3U will be my whole drat life for at least a year.

Seriously, I need to get on my Steam back catalog before I never touch any of those games again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Iacen posted:

I've been saying this before, but I would pay top dollar for a 2D Mario with this aesthetic:

Hell, if they could do it in 3D with celshading or whatever I'd be happy too.

Someone posted this before and I agree'd then and completely agree now; but I don't think they'll do it with their "New" franchise.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bobnumerotres posted:

I know, but content-wise the bulk of it is coming from P3. All of the new weapons and monsters etc. were in portable 3rd, there's some additional new content, a whole new rank and swimming is back but yeah.

So, is MH3U a giant amalgamation of P3 and Tri with bonus stuff?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's the face in that one?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Teenage Fansub posted:

big text doesn't facilitate the centered one, but how about

This looks perfect.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TaurusOxford posted:

Don't worry. I'll beat the monsters for you while you hide behind your shield in fear. :smugbert:

I used to be a Lancer, but realized the game was easy mode that way. Loved the Switch-Axe to death before I stopped playing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

suddenlyissoon posted:

Am I the only one who really wants Zombiu to be so badass but each time they look at it they see the empty promise of Red Steel?

I'm with you on that, but there's nothing else I want on release so it's the only game I'm picking up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah, people need to make a big stink about this. I mean the mic already being built-in to the controller and having OS-based voice chat being bullshit all this time is just ridiculous. If it's true I have no hope for whatever the miiverse online is.

While I really don't want to be the guy to poo poo on Nintendo at this point, but it seems like they're dropping the ball yet again.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chaltab posted:

I don't recall any collection quests in the dungeons. Honestly I don't think SS had a bad dungeon one. The problem was there was SO much to do in-between them that it felt like a lot of pointless roadblocks and padding.

The dungeons were the highlights of the game with the rest of the overworld pointless bullshit and completely devoid of interesting things to do.

edit: Nintendo should just do the ironic thing and copy Darksiders.

sigher fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 22, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Edoraz posted:

I had a feeling it was something like that. It's not like I could say with a fact that I could buy a working headset that I could rely on on launch.

Though I'm gonna call it, Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate will not have voice chat because the Japanese are largely shy (that really is the excuse!).

Well with MH Tri Voice Chat only worked if both ends had the WiiSpeak mic that no one owned. So even if you had the mic, you'd only be heard by the people in your party that had it too. It's amazingly dumb.

But that won't stop me from going balls deep into this console just for that loving game.

Chronojam posted:

Kinda hard to ask your co-op buddy to get on BattleLog chat when you have no way to do it, except out of game.

Not really hard to do when you're playing on PC.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Calaveron posted:

I play MH3 online without voice chat, and I can't help but wonder what the conversations in that game would be like :allears:
"Hit the tail you idiot! I need another Rathalos tail goddammit!"
"What do you mean you didn't bring spare Paralyze Shot for our Gunner? gently caress you!"

It made life a lot easier for everyone, and there were a whole lot of "Sorry Guys... :smith:" from my end.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zenintrude posted:

Here's how the Deluxe Digital Promotion, aka 10% back, will work:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/30/wii-u-deluxe-digital-promotion-detailed/

Wait, what? This is loving retarded. I don't want your stupid Nintendo Bux, just take 10% off the MSRP. How in the hell did they gently caress this up?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Supercar Gautier posted:

Wait, you expected the download promo to just mean everything is on sale all the time? Are you familiar with any kind of promotional rewards system ever?

PlayStation Plus does exactly as I described.

katkillad2 posted:

What exactly is the difference, assuming you buy more than 1 digital item over the next 2 years?

Because this system keeps that reward money locked on the WiiU rather in my bank where I can spend it on whatever I want?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rake Arms posted:

I don't know, but I sure would play a Zelda-clone set in the Star Wars universe :swoon:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a good Star Wars title that allowed me to explore the Star Wars Universe in a Zelda-esque fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Iwata unboxing the Wii U was pretty sweet, but god drat, seeing how loving shiny it is is going to make me want to play it with those gloves. I can't imagine how that thing is going to look after playing with it with smudges all over.

• Locked thread