Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bombadilillo posted:

Out of curiosity, beyond my one purposely smug post. Did the rest of the thread seem too self congratulatory to you?

Dude's initial post was fairly reasonable and a hundred people jumped down his throat for it, so yeah, people are way too touchy. Then again, pre-release console thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

fivegears4reverse posted:

"But other threads/posters do it too :smuggo:"

And you just did it again! It doesn't matter if it's one person or a dozen. Where do you people find the energy for all this crap?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The rumours are all over the place, particularly in regards to the next Xbox which may or may not be positioning itself as a Kinect media hub first and a console second.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bobnumerotres posted:

So when is the next Nintendo Direct scheduled? I heard they were going to reveal all the details about the miiverse and online play.

They're never scheduled, they just spring 'em on us a day or so in advance.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bobnumerotres posted:

TBH Warface looks rad as gently caress.

I can't wait for the next Direct because I need to know what titles I can just download through the Wii U shop.

I'm also interested in what kind of little mini-games will come out for the console. Wouldn't hurt to get a free HD angry birds and other little free/1 buck touch games.

We know Trine 2, Nano Assault Neo and Toki Tori 2 will be there at launch, and that other stuff is in the works like Bit.Trip.Runner 2, Mighty Switch Force HD, whatever the Word of Goo dudes' new game is called, etc.

As for retail releases, all first-party stuff will get a simultaneous digital release, and they're "strongly encouraging" third-party publishers to do the same.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't even see why they need encouragement. You get to sell the game with one less middle man taking a cut of the revenue, and there's no expense for discs.

I'm going to try to go all-digital with the U. Screw swapping out discs or worrying about losing things. I'll obviously make exceptions for finding cool games in bargain bins but in that case I hope you'll be able to install it and never fumble with the disc again, like steam-enabled games.

A lot of people don't want to buy digital because Nintendo (almost) never discounts any of their digital games, whereas retailers regularly discount stuff, including at launch. You see people complaining about it re: the 3DS all the time, and on that platform there's a lot more value in buying digitally - namely, being able to have the game right there on the system menu at all times and not have to worry about carrying the cart around - but the Wii U doesn't even have that advantage, so I wonder how it's gonna play out.

Nintendo's strategy is supposed to including retail, eShop and digital download cards sold by retailers, allowing customers to hunt around for deals in whichever format they like without undercutting the retailers, but things haven't exactly worked out that way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I haven't played Ninja Gaiden 3 but from what I gather people hated it because they removed a ton of stuff for no reason and slapped a terrible Other M-level story on top.

Everything I've read about the Wii U version suggests it'll be significantly different - lots of stuff added back in, lots of new content, etc. Apparently Nintendo themselves have been working on it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Policenaut posted:

Whoa, what the? Now that's a really drat obscure pick for Kamiya: Japanese Edo period Zelda clone.

It's not really a Zelda clone, beyond being a top-down, screen-based thing. No puzzles, no items/upgrades, no real exploration, all action.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Is it really that obscure when you think of the Nintendoland mini games?

It was never released outside of Japan, it's never had a sequel, the developers were nobodies and it wasn't particularly popular in its day. As far as Nintendo console games go it's as obscure as they get.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Policenaut posted:

Ohhh I see now. Taking a look at a few videos, I could definitely see how he could translate that sort of thing to a modern gameplay style. Of course, all I can think of is Devil May Cry meets Ninja Gaiden.

It wes essentially a one-button game, too, so it could serve as a template for a more accessible third-person action game, kinda like Other M was supposed to be (but without being terrible).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're probably handling the sensor bar in the same way they're handling the 3DS XL charger: it's a pack-in in regions that mandate it, and it's not in regions that don't.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The secret downside is that it'll take forever for most of the content providers to show up, and it'll be absolutely worthless to anyone not in America or Europe.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Katana Gomai posted:

Fixed. As far as NoE is concerned, TVii doesn't exist, the only reason I've heard about it is because of this thread. Speaking for Germany though, it'd be impossible to implement because our streaming media are nowhere near as delevoped. There's pretty much only two providers (Sky and LoveFilm/Amazon) and they're both complete garbage.

I was just going off the promises they made about the 3DS in terms of this sort of content. I think Europe has, like, Eurosport highlights in certain countries and maybe some Sky stuff if you're in the UK, and that's it? NA has Netflix and may or may not have Hulu (they promised it'd be available a year or so ago but I don't think it ever showed up), and other places like Latin America, AU/NZ, etc don't get anything at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's not. Will probably be released Q2 2013.

It is. They said "early 2013". If it wasn't still in the launch window (which is basically from launch til March) then they wouldn't have brought it up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^It was supposed to be out in 2011.

Anyway, because it bears repeating: Pikmin is coming early 2013, and they never said otherwise.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo does this every time with every single thing they release, so it's not that surprising.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't heard anything, but Nintendo's strategy with DQ seems to be not saying a word about them until a month before release.

They put a fair amount of promotion into DQ9 but it was all really weird poo poo like getting middle-aged women to play it at their book club meetings, and throwing DQ-themed slumber parties for pre-teen girls.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
MH3U is out in March, which in the scheme of things isn't really much of a wait.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's some more Nano Assault Neo footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epeqXuJZUdw

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, it's a Super Stardust-ish twin-stick shooter where you fly around those planetoid cell things. The 3DS game also has behind-the-ship Star Fox-ish bits and some traditional side-scrolling stuff, too, but I don't know how much of that stuff is in Neo (and I can't remember if they show any of it in the video).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
edit: beaten^^

Famitsu confirmed the region lock today, as if there was ever any doubt.

Almost Smart posted:

Has Nintendo said whether VC titles will be playable through the gamepad's screen? Having the "real" versions of LttP and Final Fantasy 3/6 as portables would be a dream come true.

Not gonna happen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you think DD is gonna solve any of your problems you might wanna brace yourself for more disappointment.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DD is region-locked too, yes, and digital games are rarely released simultaneously in all regions. There's no workaround like there is on PSN, either.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The short answer is that the Wii U contains a Wii as part of its architecture, so running your old Wii software boots the console into "Wii Mode" and prohibits it from doing anything the Wii couldn't do.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

That's a dumb answer on Nintendo's part though. They could write their U firmware to execute Wii vc code however they want.

That's not an answer on their part - they're never gonna explain how it works, it's just the most likely conclusion based on what they have told us and how backwards compatibility has worked for all their other hardware.

As for what they can/can't do, they handle in this fashion precisely because it lets them support old software without having to really do anything, which is kinda the point.

Megaspel posted:

Why do consoles always skimp on the RAM? It's like the cheapest part of the system yet it's always the limiting factor. And 1GB just for the system stuff? That's crazy, why does a console need more than a computer, when most of that stuff should be off in game anyway?

They'll probably end up letting devs access portions of the extra RAM for general-purpose stuff as their firmware improves and becomes more efficient, just as they've done for the 3DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah but if you have a US system you just buy everything with US codes you order online, not that big of a deal.

Theoretically, yeah, but if NSMB2 is a sign of things to come then it's not gonna work nearly as well as it should.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

How did NSMB2 from eshop work? What were its problems exactly, because that's how I was planning on getting NSMBU.

Nintendo's been pushing a three-tier sales stretegy: you can either buy a boxed retail copy, buy a digital copy from the eShop or buy a digital download card from a retailer, with the idea that retailers will be able to discount digital download cards as they see fit, but the reality is that a lot of places simply don't stock them, and the ones that do haven't been discounting them (at least not to the degree that people like/expect).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
People don't wanna buy from the 3DS eShop because a) digital retail games sell for RRP and never go down in price, and b) no proper account system (yet). The digital code option was supposed to allow for more flexible prices but, like I said, it's not happening.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I made that comment based on Iwata saying they don't intend to discount their digital retail releases on the eShop storefront for fear of undercutting retailers, and that allowing retailers to sell digital codes at discounted prices is their way of keeping everyone happy.

It's also worth noting that NOA stopped doing those sales for no reason, and that NOE/NCL wasn't doing them at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yet another "Reggie doesn't get it" interview. I know it's all PR and he's not dumb but seriously. We don't care about your big social gaming plan (that much). Just tell us we'll be able to add our dumb friends/people we meet online, on the fly and be able to voice chat with both friends and strangers.

The IGN dude almost straight out said "Look you guys haven't exactly done anything to make gamers trust you with the online front." Reggie just went on and on about "new unique experiences." The last time they talked about "unique" online we got friend codes.

He knows what he's being asked, he's just not gonna talk until he's ready to talk, as per every Nintendo rep about anything ever. You're not gonna hear anything about the OS until the next Nintendo Direct at the earliest, and even then we're not gonna know the exact details of how everything works until it's out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, here's the the final confirmed list of day-one titles:

quote:

Call of Duty Black Ops 2
Skylanders Giants
Transformers Prime
Wipeout 3 (the game show, not the racer)
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition
New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Darksiders 2
Assassin's Creed 3
ESPN Sports Connection
Just Dance 4
Rabbids Land
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Game Party Champions
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 26, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh, just to clarify: that's not Wipeout the Sony-owned F-Zero clone, it's Wipeout: The Crappy Game Show: The Game (ie shovelware).

Rayman is a launch title in Europe, so I'm sure it'll be out within a couple weeks of the NA launch.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's the tentative digital schedule:

quote:

Cloudberry Kingdom - November
Chasing Aurora - November
Trine 2: Director’s Cut - November
Nano Assault Neo - November
Mighty Switch Force HD - November
Little Inferno - November
Toki Tori 2 - Novemberbre
Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - January

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They could just release XCOM on Wii U instead.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's worth pointing out that the Skyfall section of the game requires an online pass and won't be accessible to those who buy used, or so I'm told.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I did a quick search and found plenty of confirmation that the Skyfall stuff isn't on the disc and will be released as post-launch DLC (to keep from spoiling the movie, ostensibly) but nothing about it being restricted to new copies, so yeah, it may just have been nerd hyperbole.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Nintendo Direct is an announcement on NSMB2 DLC, ie nothing relevant to this thread.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PonchAxis posted:

Pretty much this. Konami is doing really bad right now, and don't really have much coming out at all.

Konami makes all its money through gambling machines and love hotels now, they can afford plenty of flops.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo's first paid DLC was for Fire Emblem Awakening, which came out in Japan last April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Sorry, really poor phrasing by me. I meant to ask if they had announced any download-exclusives.

Yeah, there's a bunch of 'em, but nothing even remotely similar to KODP, and I'd be very surprised if anything in that vein ever shows up.

• Locked thread