Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, any chance that it will be possible to purchase games online and download them to this thing? The expandable via an external HDD kinda makes it lean that way, but it would be their first console to do so, right?

Checking the Wiiware and DSiware stuff, it's either classic / emulator games, or smaller independent titles there, and DLC on the DSi.

e: Netflix did announce that it's coming to Norway soonish, so maybe there's hope for atleast a stunted TVii once the WiiU releases over here.

e2: VVV How did I not notice that, that's great though. Hoping for plenty of sales. :toot:

SubNat fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

greatn posted:

Does anyone have any recommended external hard drives? I was looking some up yesterday and the prices seem to vary wildly. 500gb is probably enough, but 1tb might be nice and I could throw on all my wife's music.

Also I couldn't really tell, will I need to plug these suckers in or will they draw power from the Wii? Finally I suppose black will be best since my WiiU will be black.

A large one ( 3.5 inches ) would have better performance, load speeds, and lower price per GB, and have it's own power adapter. Just buy a western digital elements or something, and you'll be set.

E: of they follow the USB standards, it should be no problem to use a smaller one, that only has 1 USB plug, either.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 17, 2012

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Doug Dinsdale posted:

A 4K monitor is what I'm using now (2560 x 1600, 30").
Dell had them for as low as $1100 on sale, so the technology's already there.

But games running at 4K? Seems to me developers have enough trouble dealing with 1080 without catering to a graphical enhancement that's probably even less of a jump from DVD to Blu-Ray (and even here, the transition's not complete).

I'll happily jump on another 4K PC monitor, but a 4K living room TV isn't in the cards for me.

...what?
4K is 3840x2160
Your 2560x1600 is a 16:10 version of a 2x1080p/4x720p/1440p screen, so a 4K res would have almost twice your resolution, again.(4x1080p, hence the 4K moniker. )

I can not even imagine a computer costing 2000usd to run games smoothly at that res.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, does anyone know how it'll be with TVii outside of the States?
'Cause Netflix just opened up here in Scandinavia, so it's suddenly useful now.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given its size and similarity to the 360 and PS3, I think it's safe to say you can probably just charge it with a USB cable.

Actually yeah, I checked out IGN's Wii U unboxing, and the Pro Controllers actually just use a normal Usb Mini-B ( not the kind you use for smartphones, but a lot of wacom tablets, mp3 players etc use 'em) cable, and there's one included in the box.

So yeah, like the 360 and ps3 controllers, only with claimed 80 hours of usage, and a non-proprietary charging plug, which is pretty sweet.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, does the WiiU constantly rev whatever disk you guys have inside it?

Because whenever I'm out in the OS, on the browser, etc, the console will be spinning Nintendoland at what sounds like max speed.
I take it out, the system is quiet, I put it back in, and it sounds like the hugest HDD.

I haven't had a single crash or anything else with it, but I find it odd that it doesn't just rev up the disk once to check what game it is, then just let it chill until I try to open the game.

e: also, Nintendo, please add a tap-the-off-button to turn off the gamepad's display, and make it system wide, having the screen on because you're downloading a game, and want the system to turn off once it's done is pretty damned dumb.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 13, 2012

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Test:
Installing the rayman demo: WHIRR
Playing the rayman demo for ~15 minutes: WHIRR

Starting to think it might actually just be spinning, forever.
Since it's even doing it as I'm ingame with stuff installed on the internal memory.
I've looked around, and a few other people have mentioned it as well.

Pretty sure it was still spinning as I and a friend messed around on youtube(via the browser, of course) for about 40 minutes, remember that I noticed it then in the first place.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, a lot of external HDDs have 'intelligent power saving' systems that you can't remove, found out that mine idles after 30 mins or whatever it was, and the only way to disable that is to smack it into my desktop pc, and gently caress around with some stuff in DOS, so no thanks to that.

Nintendo also needs to add a " Yo, Wake the gently caress up, I'll wait for a bit" ping instead of freaking out over sleeping HDDs at some point too.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, numbskull.
The gamepad supports 3D, but only the kind that requires Magenta/Green glasses, just like pretty much any other colour screen/display.

AC3 has it, hidden away in some submenu apparently.

e: red/blue is probably a more common option, i dunno.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

So they bugfixed Sonic, yes?

A while back, I've had the game for weeks, and haven't had a single bug or glitch occur.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Which is why it would be pretty loving awesome to have 1 dude operate on the main screen, plus 1-2 people on each their gamepad trying to diagnose and/or operate on other parts of the body.
And everyone shouting at each other because it's way too loving hectic and oh my god the guys's flatlining.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

For Mario Kart 8, have they said anything about if it'll be 4 player, or 5 player, like Sonic Racing? (It's gotta be 5 players, right? They wouldn't just squander one of the unique things the Wii U has, after all? )
Only thing I really got from the Dev Diary was that it's HD, and they've been aiming for 60fps with 2 players.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

3850MB according to the eshop download page, though.
Currently sitting at 1:20 left for me, so it's only downloading at some 800KB/s, but it's all good. :toot:

e: wait no, the actual download says 3954 MB.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I bit the bullet on a whim and finished paying off the Windwaker bundle and Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101. After like 45 minutes of updating and downloading I got started. Windwaker still looks and plays great but I haven't gotten into the other two yet.

I thought that the complaining about the battery life on the pad was just typical gamer exaggeration but yeeeesh it's really bad. Kind of puts a damper on my "watch netflix in bed" plans.

I wish there was a crunchyroll app. That would be nice.

There's an extended battery out in some regions, you can get one via ebay.
It should roughly double the battery life, I think?

Been thinking about ordering one myself at some point.

It's a real pity they did this:

To save some money.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Wii U Pro Controllers are 18usd and up on ebay though, they even come in authentic boxes and all that.

I've bought both of mine from there, they're really decent all-round bluetooth controllers for android and the like, as well.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Warriors 3 Orochi Hyper?
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper?
Warriors Hyper Orochi 3?
Warriors Orochi Hyper 3?

Who gives a gently caress, here, have a code.
5ogjxgtsjs0skkhm

e: oh, btw, plugging headphones into the gamepad forces all sound through that, right?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

You can console yourself with the fact that it's not a game code, just one of those nintendo points codes.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

This isn't the Steam thread, after all. :v:
Ah, how amazing the eShop would've been with up to 90% off some times.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Are those ATVs new, or were they introduced in MK7?
I mean, ATV as a separate class from carts and bikes.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Really hoping any hypothetical Mario Kart 8 DLC would just be packs of 1 new cup + 1-2 racers, and some kart body/wheels/hangglider additions.

Can't really imagine them selling individual tracks or anything like that, honestly. And I suppose retro tracks would be more likely than completely new ones.

All in all, really really hope they try out DLC and having a small team add new stuff to the game over the years, since they still haven't experimented too much with DLC so far.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

I hope Smash will let you use the Wii Remote's onboard memory for that stuff. Speaking of, does the Pro Pad have that?

Come to think of it, was that ever used for anything else than bringing along Miis?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That battery is still twice the cost of the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extended-Ba...=item4acef70ee5

Been using it for a few weeks, no problems at all.
Japanese battery without the official packinging, just comes in a tiny white box with a tiny tiny turquoise screwdriver.

The seller is apparently away right now though, but others on eBay might sell it at the same price point.

noirstronaut posted:

How long does this extend the battery?

The Extended battery is straight up 2X the capacity of the default/stock/small battery.

So roughly 1.5-2x the playtime..

e: OH!
That battery they link is only 2550 MAH
( The play-asia one )
The one I have is 3000.

So less than 2x, since the small one is 1500.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hydrocodone posted:

And there's a guy selling extended packs on ebay that are 3000mAh. At least one goon had a good experience with this seller:

2 Goons, I also bought one.

It hasn't had any issues, and it comes with an adorable tiny screwdriver to open up the gamepad.

Since I got it I haven't had the red light for low battery while playing, since the battery life is way longer than I ever sit playing without pause.

It's nice, is what I'm saying. It doesn't come with an official box, just a tiny white box with the battery + scredriver taped on.

• Locked thread