Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think it's about time I got this thing, mainly for WW and Super Mario 3D World, is there a specific bundle I should be getting? Also, is Nintendo land worth buying if the bundle I get doesn't come with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Legend of Zelda Limited Edition WiiU is what you want. It comes with a copy of Wind Waker.

Does it have a copy of Nintendo Land like the other Deluxe WiiU versions? Just curious.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

deadwing posted:

I say this all the time, but my gaming group and I would play ludicrous amounts of money for new DLC maps for the three competitive games in Nintendo Land. I'm talking like 5 bucks a map crazy.

Nintendo just doesn't 'get' DLC. It's a shame.

E: Actually, how was the Luigi U thing? Was NSMBU any good?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I just meant that we've barely seen any DLC from Nintendo at this point, although the idea intruiges me, especially with Smash.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Rack posted:

Nintendo's stance has always been that games should be shipped 'complete', in that they need no patches and no stupid zero-day dlc poo poo. Sorta good and sorta bad, but it's a pretty good model.

Yes there are games that NEED patching sometimes (the Skyward Sword bug comes to mind), but it also helps prevent against price-bleeding bullshit dlc.

Yeah, I just mean I always want more when I finish a Nintendo game :v:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Crawfish posted:

I'd be cool with $5 for a character and a stage.

If the character is Simon Belmont or something, if it's just Fox again, I'll pass.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

axleblaze posted:

Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers were odd characters to bring up as wastes of space really. Jigglypuff rules and while Ice Climbers suck, they're at least interesting.

I do have a friend for whom Ridley is pretty much his favorite character in anything ever and I keep taunting him by assuring him that they will put him in the new smash, but it'll be the NES version. At this point I actually kind of want that to happen.

I'm pretty okay with clones honestly, I mean, i'd rather be able to play as doctor mario than not at all. Maybe I just want to get my doctor on nintendo? Huh?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Commissar Ken posted:

As long as you look at the box and don't go "Ugh, what is this Cel-da bullshit?!?" you'll be fine. It had a few little niggling things with it but most of that has been fixed up in the HD remake. Its really a gorgeous game (so much so the Gamecube version still stands up super well where it's much harder to go back and play Ocarina of Time now unless you grab the 3DS version) and is pretty epic in scale. Plus one of the better Gannondorf fights.

It feels weird to say that because all 3 of the 3D Gannondorf fights kick massive rear end.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Am I the only one who thinks the hate for Twilight Princess is really unfair? I mean, I don't think it's as good as WW or OOT and the like but it's still a 10/10 game for me. The environments were gorgeous and it had a massive fun world and tons of great sidequests and fantastic dungeons. I loved it, the visual style stands out especially well. Same with Skyward Sword.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

DarkHamsterlord posted:

What I hate about Twilight Princess is that it kind of feels like a "paint by numbers" entry into the series. Especially coming off of Wind Waker, it just feels like they play things too safe and it's completely boring as a result. It's kind of like "Ocarina of Time: Slightly Worse Edition."

Also, it's way too goddamn easy. A total of one enemy in the entire game deals one full heart of damage, and it's not even the final boss.

I'm not entirely convinced the Zelda mechanics work very well with heavy dificulty. At least, not in 3D, I mean, all the bosses are like a puzzle you have to figure out and aside from Skyward Sword, the combat isn't really complex enough to merit heavy difficulty. That said, TP is pretty ridiculous. There's a difference between realizing your combat isn't really the focus of the game and making it so there's no way I'm ever going to die. I played TP for 100% completion a couple weeks ago and I can count the number of times I got hit aside from the pit of 100 trials on 2 hands. But hey, there's always the 3 heart run! :v:

E: There are hard things in that game though, like.... the ICE LEAF RACE :argh:

E2: That said it is very formulaic but in an easy comforting way. It's easy and safe, like going back and playing Super Mario Sunshine again.

E3: God Lake Hylia in that game was loving beautiful

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

DarkHamsterlord posted:

A three heart run is just silly when you can take five+ hits without dying, though. When I did my three heart run of Twilight Princess (also no bottles, etc.) I died less than five times, and most (if not all) of my deaths were brought about by the aforementioned single enemy in the game that deals a full heart of damage. (It actually deals two! The next strongest attack in the game behind his hits for 3/4 of a heart)

It really is pretty much impossible to die in that game, to an absurd degree. Zelda games are always easy, but Twilight Princess took it to an extreme level, even beyond Wind Waker.

That said, it's not a bad game. I think it's earned at least an 8.8 out of 10.

What enemy is that btw? I'm not entirely sure I remember. Also, couple the 5? bottles you get in that game and you really are invincible! :v:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Renoistic posted:

I have no problem with Zelda bosses being puzzles. My problem is that you have to do essentially the same thing three times in a row and it's easy and boring once you've figured it out. Only perhaps two bosses required you to think at all and not just immediately use the dungeons gimmick to kill it.

Neither do I, sorry if it came across that way. I just love finding a massive beast and slowly and surely trampling it down. I do wish that they were more involved though, I want them to get more moves, figure out what I'm doing and adapt. Also, Twilight Princess was probably the worst game for not using your items outside of the dungeon. You get the Arrows right after the slingshot and more than a couple items are basically just ways to remove walls. Wind Waker was actually the best in the series in this regard.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The overworld in Twilight Princess is dull as dishwater, there's almost nothing to actually do in a big open environment. Some bugs to find, a few hidden caves and uh... that's it. If there was about 10 times as many hidden things and uses for the dungeon items it would be a much better game.

It sure looks pretty though.

Isn't the same basically true of OOT though? I really like the empty world. You really get a sense of grandiose and loneliness like you don't in any of the other games.

Polo-Rican posted:

I think you've kind of got it backwards. People wanted a bigger, shinier Mario 64. Sunshine actually feels a lot smaller - there are 7 worlds in Sunshine vs 12 in 64, plus the worlds in Sunshine have less visual variety so it feels like there's less content, plus in 64 you have more freedom to explore worlds in whatever order you want.

That's funny because Sunshine is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than Super Mario 64

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Compare Twilight Princess to Wind Waker, there's stuff in every section of the ocean (something major or minor) and random treasures and other things to actually interact with. I can't really recall much of anything significant in the Twilight Princess version of Hyrule.

More reason for anyone who hasn't played Wind Waker to go and PLAY WIND WAKER.

Couldn't I just argue that that's sort of the point? Much in the same way I love sailing island to island and it taking minutes, I really enjoyed the desolate rides across the plains with that awesome hyrule field theme (best in the series IMO) with the sun rising in the back, knowing that this is it, my time, the time to save my friends and hyrule.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

JordanKai posted:

You can absolutely make a case for Super Mario Sunshine being superior to Super Mario 64. :colbert:

Because one game holds up and the other doesn't. :colbert:

Seriously, I love 64, a lot, but the game looks like poo poo, controls really stiff and doesn't have the unique flavor that Sunshine has. 64 is like a really great burger, but Sunshine is a 4 course meal.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So, Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, Wind Waker and 3D World. What other must buys are there?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gutcruncher posted:

New Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, ZombiU for exclusives, Sonic Racing Transformed and Rayman Legends for multiplatorms.

wait, they, they made a third Pikmin game!?? :stare:

What?

HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MassRafTer posted:

It's a game on the Wii U, it's not difficult to miss. I keep forgetting there is a new Wii Party.

Pikmin 2 was a game I played a lot as a kid, is the new one any good?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh hell yes. If you like Pikmin 1 and 2, you'll love it to bits.

My desire to own this console just loving skyrocketed.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I love how loving invested people are in Nintendo sales figures. Like, why do you personally care how well a system does? Even better is when people brag about it. Like, really? Really guy? I just like videogames.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

PRADA SLUT posted:

If it seeks poorly there won't be more in the future, or you'll be buying the next Nintendo console with only first-party titles (more so than today).

Well I can't do anything about that though?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I kinda do that anyway. I think most of us do. The most common statement I heard with Wii is "Wii360/PSWii" where people got a Wii to compliment the other systems.

If the Wii U was $100 less people would probably do the same. For a lot of people, they hope all of the good third party stuff just gets released on PC.

I'm not sure I'm going to get a PS4 tbh. At least not for a few years. I just bought a PS3 and there's still sweet poo poo coming out for it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Wait, MGSV isn't on the PS3? gently caress.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

It is. MGSV is a cross-generation game.

Oh thank god. I don't wanna spend 600 dollars right now.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Strange Quark posted:

Austria != Australia. :v:

Well guess what! I'm Canadian! :v:

Sorry for the confusion

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Which still, PS4 + PSN + MGSV comes to $600 when tax is included.

That was definitely a lot of discussion for a number I pulled out of my rear end. Yeah, for 600$ I could get a WiiU and like every game I really want on the system. Sorry Sony.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is NSMB Wii or NSMBU better?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Mario 64 can control well but there's a steep learning curve and even then there's no comparing to Sunshine and Galaxy.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Oh there's no doubt that it was the best 2D -> 3D transition over similar games of its time (Bubsy 3D anyone?). Add the Mario shadow was a brilliant move as was a controller designed with 3D in mind. However it was still a huge leap back in terms of content and imaginative level design. It took until Galaxy to fix the mess left by 64. 3D world brings out the best in what Nintendo offers that other developers lack this generation. What a fantastic game. With any luck they'll leave the 64 formula in the dust forever.

The 64 formula was waaaaaaay better in the Banjo Kazzoie games and are basically what Assassins Creed has been doing for years now.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
DKC Returns was my GOTY and it's probably my favorite 2D platformer ever so this is probably going to be my system seller.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Rirse posted:

Speaking of Donkey Kong Country Returns, will this one have a normal control scheme by default? I could never get into the Wii game due to the overuse of motion controls. Still need to get the 3DS version, but wondering if they took a cue from that game.

You only use it to roll and it's not that bad really. I do really wish that you could put it on a button bc that game is just so loving tight otherwise.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Chance posted:

And if it happened from Rare now it would be kinect only :(

I have almost no love left for donkey kong after the retarded jet barrel levels from returns but if I can play as cranky hmmm, that might be enough to get me to grab it on the cheap later.

Really? I loved those, you can just skip them if you're really having that much trouble. It's funny, DKC was basically the "hard game" everyone complains about not having and nobody paid it any heed.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The standard Wii's classic controller has the shittiest analog sticks.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

Do you really need a Classic Controller PRO for Virtual Console games?

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-controller-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003ANMB6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386092110&sr=8-1&keywords=classic+controller

The regular ole Classic Controller is only $10, the only difference is that it doesn't have the grips, and the placement of ZL and RL

Are the analog sticks any less poo poo?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

axleblaze posted:

I still really wish they just put the option to turn off the box. Like I'm not against it being in the game, but give me the option to never have to look at them. They almost actively discourage me from hunting down secrets because i don't want to die to much looking into corners that might have something.

That's a great idea, I do really love hearing people online bitch about how "gamers today won't learn the true value of success!" -:v: though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Legend of Xelda.

There's no obtrusive letter "U" in the title.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

funzo2226 posted:

Was anyone else underwhelmed by DKC Returns for Wii? I played a few levels but just couldn't get into it like I did the originals for SNES. I wonder if I will feel the same about Tropical Freeze.

I think it's the best 2D platformer ever made, even better than Super Mario World and the most under appreciated game last generation if not ever. So no.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

kirbysuperstar posted:

This is a very stupid statement. I can't even begin to understand how stupid this statement is.

I've never heard anyone say much of anything about the game after it's release date. It came out, and everyone forgot it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
When I say underapreciated, I don't mean nobody bought it, I mean I honestly feel that the game is a loving masterpiece just like the rest of Retro's games. I'm super psyched to see what they do next, and I think Nintendo's gonna have a bunch in store for E3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mercury Crusader posted:

Internet nerds take a lot of stock in what other internet nerd are interested in. For all the discussions Games (or NeoGAF or wherever) has about certain titles or console sales performances or whatever, average folk that play video games and don't visit internet message boards don't give as much of a poo poo. Anecdotal and all, but my best friend has fallen out of staying on top of gaming news and all that for the most part, and doesn't visit gaming message boards, and the only opinion he has on the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One is that it's all the same poo poo from last generation but more expensive-looking.

That's not that far off the mark actually :tinfoil:

• Locked thread