Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Is anyone else hoping that Monolith's new RPG gets localised by NoE again? I liked having British voices for a change. :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Steam, and digital PC games in general, is not comparable to closed systems like PSN/XBLA/eShop.

Can you explain why these are not comparable? I don't know what you mean by "a closed system" here. As far as I can see Steam is just the superior service, and if Nintendo just perpetuate this "get stuff "cheaper" but only if you pay an ongoing subscription" thing then it'll be a huge disappointment.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Shopto.net got mine to me a day before UK launch :dance: Just got it set up and spent the evening messing around with it. Two observations so far:

1) NSMBU is pretty fun, I skipped all the other NSMB games so this is basically like being a kid and playing Super Mario World again

2) The posts in Funky Barn's Miiverse section are goddamn hilarious

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Being able to open the web browser while in a game and have it immediately offer to do a google search for that game is pretty cool. But it'd be even better if I could configure that to be a gamefaqs search instead. Get on that, Nintendo!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Probably a silly question, but how do I resume from a quicksave in NSMBU? Selecting the savefile just resumes from the last castle save with none of world 2 completed.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Nope. I used the quicksave last night and it exited from the game like it should. After a while spent messing around with Miiverse I shut the system down. Turned it on again today and started up the game, no balloon on my save file. Guess I'm playing those levels again. :|

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Do those charts include downloads from the eShop?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That 1-up jingle is burned deep into my memory and if I didn't hear it on every 100th coin collected it would be like a part of my childhood had died :smith:

Edit: but it'd be okay because it still has 98 lives left

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 7, 2012

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Yyep, just tested in the UK and I can't even view the details on 18 rated games. What the gently caress, Nintendo. Just when it seems your online stuff is starting to improve you go and do something completely retarded again

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Did you try changing you clock and or timezone?

greatn posted:

Did you try setting parental controls? I heard if you have them set it removes the limitation.

Tried both of these, no go. That's right, even if you've set up parental controls and confirmed that you want your account to have unrestricted access to everything, the time limit on the shop still applies. :downsbravo:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

You need to zoom out with the left shoulder button to make the balloon's message appear.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I just tried the Rayman demo, and while the first two levels didn't grab me at all (it's certainly no Mario), I think I would play an entire rhythm game of Castle Rock, that was hilarious.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Speaking of which, if Bayonetta makes it in I hope she's just standing on top of a missile like in that one Space Harrier inspired level.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I've yet to find a western RPG I can play for more than an hour or so before quitting out of boredom, so I get pretty worried any time I see a Japanese dev say something like that. It's even more worrying when one of my main reasons for getting a Wii U was "Monolith are making something for it" :suicide:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Crowbear posted:

Apparently he's an easy mode character too. Can't die.

Can't die, and can pick up powerups even though he doesn't benefit from them at all. Sounds like the perfect character to troll your friends with. :getin:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

The wisp powers in Sonic Colours were great fun, and that new bird one looks awesome. But if Lost World is anything like Colours then they'll mostly be used for optional hidden secrets in the levels and you can ignore them if you really can't stand fresh new mechanics in your hedgehog game

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Yeah, at first that Pikmin+W101 deal sounded pretty sweet, then I realised that would be 30% off the full retail price of one game, compared to the ~20-25% off both games I'd get just by buying them from Amazon or Shopto or wherever.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Anyone saying the gamepad is optional for Pikmin 3 hasn't played the part leading up to the final boss. You're going to need that map to split the characters up and use the "go here" command to move them around independently.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Rawrbomb posted:

Who the hell is calling this a pikmin clone?!

You mean besides the title of the game's thread in this forum?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Nintendo please put a Unite Morph-like ability in Pikmin 4, tia

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

The solution to your problem is to only use restore points I guess? If you don't want to feel like you're cheating then you can restrict yourself to only using them at places you can save normally, unless you're getting really stumped.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I'm hoping Tetra is a playable character. I mean come on, she's the best character in the series.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

ChibiSoma posted:

the combat is really dull (mash A

It would be less dull if you used combos instead of just mashing a button. It's a Platinum game, they're known for having a high skill ceiling and basically being the opposite of button-mashers

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I feel like what MK8 has over Sonic Racing Transformed is the buckets full of Nintendo charm, but I wonder how much of that is because I've been playing Nintendo games for over 20 years and never owned a Sega console. Maybe if the nostalgia I feel for the Skies of Arcadia stuff extended to the whole game then it'd make me smile as much as MK8 does?

Edit: I wish they'd just make it Nintendo All-Stars Racing already

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 31, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also whoever said Ubisoft is sitting on a dumbass rabbids game is probably right. I doubt they're sitting on Zombi2 unfortunately :(.

Maybe it's Beyond Good & Evil 2 :suicide:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

I would say Bowser Jr. is roughly equivalent to Rosalina in terms of new character introduction, and he's gotten lots of airtime since.

Also they keep putting Daisy in things but I don't think they're making another Mario game set in Sarasaland any time soon

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

JordanKai posted:

So of course retailers aren't the most trustworthy resource for thing sort of thing, but a couple of retailers in my country now have both Mario Maker and Star Fox U listed as full-price games that can be pre-ordered.

They better be adding a lot of content to Mario Maker if this is true. :ohdear:

The price is probably a placeholder. If they guessed at a lower price and it ended up being more then customers would complain about the price going up, or they may even have a price guarantee policy that would require them to honour the lower price on preorders, so they just go with full price until the actual price is confirmed.

Edit: same with 31st December release dates on games that are officially still just "TBA 2014"

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 14, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Niemat posted:

I know the Goonvitational League exists currently for MarioKart, but it seems to be dying off as we've gotten further away from the release date.

It's dying off because something in the netcode broke after the first couple of weeks and now it keeps putting people in their own individual empty rooms instead of together. No idea when this will be fixed or if Nintendo is even aware of it :smith:

If someone in your friends list is already in a tournament race then you can join them that way, but if not then you're probably out of luck.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Niemat posted:

:smith: That's lovely. I was having a blast playing with everyone online, so I really hope they get it fixed.

I just added everyone I could from the spreadsheet JordanKai compiled, so maybe I can get into some races again... How do I tell if someone in my friends list is in a room with others?

Pick the online option and then "friends and rivals". It'll show you a list of everyone in your friends list and also anyone you've raced with recently. Anyone who's in a race will have a chequered flag icon next to their name. You can choose to join them and if they're in a tournament it'll tell you the tournament's name before you join.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Apparently that third guy who just joined didn't get the memo that this was an all-shyguy race :colbert:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

GRINK HELCH posted:

I feel like there is something wrong with me because I am really enjoying Sonic Lost World. I find the controls to be precise and the level design to be pretty awesome.

Your experience seems to be the exact opposite of mine. There were a few good levels but most were far too boring to make me want to keep wrestling with the awful controls to play them. :shrug:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can't remember a time when a console being hackable has led to anything other than bullshit for actual decent consumers.

All the americans who imported Xenoblade from europe before a US release was ever announced might disagree with you. Or the people in either region who played the fan translation of the JP-only Fatal Frame 4. Or all those people who have been playing Ace Attorney Investigations 2 recently.

Edit: if the 3DS had been hacked by now then an awful lot of europeans would have imported SMT4 and Rune Factory 4, and a lot of americans would've imported that Layton/Ace Attorney game

Edit again: if I could get around the Wii U's region lock I'd be playing Shovel Knight right now!

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 7, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Doc V posted:

the Imprisoned

Hey remember that lovely unfun boss you had to fight too many times in Skyward Sword? Now you can fight it again! :shepicide:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Every room in the game has it's own "Page". You can look down at the gamepad and see tips other players left for that specific room (and you can leave your own for that room).

You get a constant stream of interaction and it's kinda nice, though it's usually just filled with puns based on the per sons a avatar :v:

I'm surprised, I thought most of the posts would be "Try jumping" wherever there's a bottomless pit

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Both can be easily completed by children so I don't really see the problem

The problem is that it's tedious and unfun. If I enjoyed stealth gameplay at all I would've bought a stealth game instead of a Zelda game. But I don't, so I'd rather be hitting things with my sword than sitting there not pressing any buttons until this enemy I could kill in two hits turns around

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Phantasium posted:

For that matter, Majora's Mask also had a lovely stealth section (the one where you're flying over parts as a Deku scrub, not the one in the pirate fortress you can trivialize with a mask).

I wish the stone mask could be in every game that has a shoehorned-in stealth section.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Fix posted:

tl;dr: One Piece - It's ok.

How much of this game am I not going to understand if I've only read up to around where Brook is introduced?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Surlaw posted:

It uses a Grandia-like battle system where interrupting enemy attacks by properly timing yours is essential

See this sounds like fun, but I keep seeing people say that later bosses just punish you if you actually try to do that to them?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I tried playing Wonderful 101 with the pro controller and half the time I wanted to press Y to dash or put a weapon away I hit the wrong button. Maybe I just have small hands or something but it really feels like I have to stretch uncomfortably far to hit that button. The big gamepad is much more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

We'll know that the Wii U's fortunes have turned around when the yes vote overtakes the no vote on this thread's poll. It's getting closer! :unsmith:

• Locked thread