Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Every picture I have seen of Har Mar Superstar makes him look like Jay Sherman with a light sprinkling of Ron Jeremy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Is "Yo, Is This Racist" not refreshing for anyone else, either through RSS or the Earwolf iPhone app? Twitter claims PFT is on this week which I want to give a listen, but I can't find any evidence of new episodes.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Glad to have your perspective! It's hard to quantify how getting into podcasts through CDR/CBB re-awoke my love of standup and has lead me to travel far and wide to see live comedy.

Earwolf shows are a big part of that, as are the other networks that popped up - before the podcast rush, it was super-hard to know who to see when you're a fan who lives on the outer reaches of comedian tours.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

jeffullrich posted:

Any feedback on the backstage show? I'm fairly insecure and it ended up being a lot of work. We're not getting a ton of feedback on our forums or Twitter. Be honest!

Felt like an awesome gift from Earwolf to CBB fans, and also a bit of a deserved tribute to the Choctaw - I hope you guys felt it was worth the effort in the end.

I hope to make an LA comedy roadtrip in 2013 (pretty much because of how podcasts like CBB brought me back to standup), and was really sad to hear CBB was coming to an end before I get there - but having this at least made me feel like I got to live it once, vicariously through others.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Not to steal Jeff's thunder, but I thought his post of 6 podcasting industry predictions for 2013 article on AllThingsD was super-interesting, especially the info about how Earwolf is doing financially.

http://allthingsd.com/20130104/six-podcasting-predictions-for-2013/

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

drat, and we never figured out if this was going to be audioed for posterity? Then again, I can't see it not showing up in the Earwolf Store, at the very least, and that fits how they've rolled in similar situations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Riptor posted:

I just can't believe that no one mentioned to the people in charge that maybe VPN isn't the best name for an Internet thing since those initials are taken

I was shocked that the youtube VPN URL was open for the taking, in our world of name and account squatting.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Mob posted:

Yeah, I remember when Jeff Ulrich was in this thread talking about advertisers, and I filled out those surveys when the Earwolf shows were pimping them, and I really am having trouble understanding these loving phone service ads. Everyone already has a cell phone provider, nobody is leaving Verizon for some phone company they've never heard of. Nobody is even leaving AT&T, and AT&T is terrible. The only people who are dumb enough to buy into this probably prefer daytime TV garbage to podcasts. The target audience is people who buy poo poo like MagicJack.

Ting has been making the podcast rounds. They started with the Joe Rogan Experience, for better or for worse.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Went to Asssscat at UCB LA and Matt's intern was handing out podcast promo cards as we left.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

In your face PodKatz, from NNF's Dan Katz.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Yo, Is This Racist can be guest dependent, but it's pleasant enough. My wife and I are mixed ethnicity, and we sometimes get a good discussion out of agreeing with an episode or not - we often disagree.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I sorta rediscovered Zooropa and The Wanderer because of the podcast.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Echoing the thanks - I was big on live stand-up and comedy a few years back, but being physically isolated from anything but people who made it to my second-tier Canadian town meant I sort of got bored by limited access. Podcasts (starting with CDR/CBB) brought me back in, and now we make a point of hitting up the major Canadian comedy festivals to catch our touring favourites, dragging friends along, and it's awesome.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Solid lineup at the JFL I4H show just now: Horatio Sanz, Zach Woods, Chris Gethard, and John Gemberling.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Is it just me, or was Never Not Funny live-broadcasting them going over to ask the 7-11 if their sign was broken the least compelling thing they've done since the times they'd play a game where they tried to guess a number?

Andy Daly on NNF should be wall-to-wall amazing, just wondering if I was being a jerk about it or if anyone else wondered what they were listening to. I'd have changed it, but it was one of those situations where I set up the audio before starting to drive, and didn't have an opportunity to skip to a different podcast until it was over.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Greggy posted:

I agree with you that all the random number gambling sucked in season 12, but I really loved the 7-11 bothering, or at least when Andy and Jimmy went.
edit: that said if this stretches all season like the gambling it will get old very fast. hopefully Jimmy got all the answers he needed this week.

Willing to accept I'm just grumpy from winter's siege. :)

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

And the only one worth listening to is that white lady comedian saying Chicago is one of those typical midwest cities with no black people.

Third World Orphan was good, too, unironically. I didn't realize it was my wife calling in until the call was almost over!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Have you guys updated Howl - the Earwolf app - yet? On iOS, seeing the launch of a new premium subscription service.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Standup albums (back catalog) from favorite guests like PFT, some live shows from store (and not), old eps with no ads (will we lose access to the back catalogue?) and a few exclusive shows and miniseries, by the look of it. Think it's 5 or 6 a month in Canada bucks.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Downloaded all of the ADPPP and CBB (the best ofs and holiday specials and anniversaries) while I still could. It's too bad there's no NNF-like RSS premium feed option so I can keep using Overcast.

It's weird, but I was mostly set to sign up for Howl out of goodwill because it has done so much to keep me entertained, but I feel a little less inclined because of the archive paywall factor leaning hard on my feelings of goodwill. I'll still probably do it, but it leaned me the other way.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Worked for me an hour ago!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Some of Scott's answers on the earwolf forums were confusing - maybe you just can't download to the browser howl.fm client? Downloading to the app seems fine.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

How will future generations learn that Pepsi Extreme Max goes in our earholes?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

And the majority of smartphones are Android devices? Maybe that's why.

I thought I remember seeing some Midroll survey results that skewed heavy iOS for their listeners and choice of technology. Not arguing against a simultaneous launch, however.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Someone I know actually called in a scenario to YTIR, and I actually thought that episode was reasonably on-point and funny, but I don't disagree with some of the criticisms you guys are posting.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/third-world-orphan/

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I thought Friends of the People and Adam Ruins Everything are both decent.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The lowest point of NNF, which I like the guest segments for, were when they would play the number guessing game. It was so painful to think of having a great guest and host reduced to just running out the clock like that.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

edit: figured it out

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 30, 2016

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Are we gonna lose access to the nifty RSS feeds for Howl stuff from that 3rd party website?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

https://howl-rss.128.io/

Poke around there!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I wonder if Earwolf's donation drive would have done better through Patreon for recurring donations versus the seeming emphasis on onetime donations.

The Dollop, which is underloved here, also has a viable Patreon.

Maybe it just works better at the individual show scale which would mean there'd still have to be a central entity running the studio.

edit: efb

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Have podcasts have been around long enough for comedians to be able to tell whether a random one-off or occasional appearance (as opposed to being a host of a podcast that really takes off) actually makes a difference IRL? I often wonder how much plugs on CBB and other kinda-big shows actually translate to ticket or album sales for the guests.

I'm probably the comedy equivalent of an f2p game whale - for almost 10 years, I've made a point of going to see any comedian or podcaster who has a show I've half-enjoyed, including trips to LA/NYC/big festivals, as well as anything non-corny that comes to my city off the major comedy corridors. Have seen James Adomian like 10 times over that span, in part because CBB Jesse Ventura begat his album and he's a popular guest on a lot of showcase shows.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

I think Stitcher was basically being a podcast app like any other, but were inserting their own ads into podcasts and not giving any of the revenue to the podcasts they were offering through their app, and also they weren't asking podcasts if they were willing to be offered through their app etc. but IDK it was a while ago and my brain forgets stuff

Exactly that. Bill Burr had some kind of Stitcher mini-feud that involved Redban at JRE, and I thought all the podcasters had a pretty good case against Stitcher. Sounds like what Stitcher is doing with Howl is a formal, above-board arrangement, but they sound like they have a jerkass track record.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Tacier posted:

Scott Aukerman uses the same mysterious "Stop down" expression that the Hollywood Handbook boys say at 18:05 of this week's Comedy Bang Bang. I swear to god this phrase doesn't exist as an expression outside of Earwolf Studios and it's driving me crazy.

It's a thing in photography, not sure about directing.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

In my volunteer work as an animal shelter photographer, I named a cat with a moustache birthmark “Purr F. Tompkat”. This did get to his attention, too.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

My BATOUR renewal date also shows as this month instead of next year. Couldn’t find a receipt with parameters clearly stated.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Raised by TV is dumb but fun.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Threedom was really amazing today, almost a solid half hour of them recounting grotesque childhood injuries while the others ragged on the storyteller.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Live Off Book podcast taping at JFL Montreal! Just the recorded form of this show blows my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Another banner ep of UTU2TM today, as well.