Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I listened to the last Yo, Is This Racist? and thought it was pretty funny. It could've just been PFT though.

I think it's a pretty good podcast and will be a lot better now that it's only coming out once a week. That said, PFT is pretty much the perfect guest for this podcast. He's a great guest on any podcast of course, but it's really obvious he actually thinks about this kind of stuff and talks about it from a more genuine place than Jon Daly or Howard Kremer did. Not that I blame them, they were pretty funny on the show, but I prefer PFT and to a lesser extent the Sklar brothers' approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Yeah, the Reality Show Show is a pretty good podcast, even though I don't actually watch any of these shows. For some reason the description was giving me a real "uh Yeah Dude Knockoff" vibe, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

Goddamnit, I have to stop listening to Improv4Humans while in bed before sleeping. Crying from laughter is not really sleepytime behavior.
First the Ghost of Edgar Allan Poe and now Ben Schwarts at a live show.

And yes, I'm also eagerly awaiting the D&D episodes. I've never played or listened to any episodes outside of our own Yogscast doing it a couple of times some years ago, and that was loving hilarious.

The November 6th show was also pretty great. It was maybe a little more interesting than howlingly funny, but there was still plenty of good stuff in there. I'd love to get Betsy Sodaro on the show again too, she has an adorable voice :3:

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Am I just wicked out of the hoodie game, or is $60 loving bananas for a hoodie?

It's definitely on the high end, but not that crazy. It's really plain though.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

As a person who doesn't know anything about D & D, Nerd Poker seemed really rough to me. I'm going to give it more time, but the humor was not very good and I don't really care about the elfs and wizards. Were you guys who "get" Dungeons and Dragons way more in to it?

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

I thought Andrew Ti was switching to once a week for Yo Is This Racist, but it's back to every day. Last week's (week before last maybe?) was pretty awful with a minute or so of banter between him and the guest repeated every day. Now it's just a little introduction, but man would I ever love it if he just went back to once a week. They're obviously all being done at the same time. Just leave them stuck together and put them out at once. If it was 11 minutes long and had an ad I probably wouldn't bother with it at all even though I really like it. Jenny Slate has been great this week.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

jyrka posted:

All I know about ads is that a lot of comedians really hate the post office.

It really must be toughest on the postal worker podcast-enthusiasts. They can get your letter from New York to California in 3 days for 45 cents, but they can't get stamps.com users to stop making them grovel on Scott Aukerman's command.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Man, this week's Nerd Poker is just chock-full of creeper poo poo :stare: It's like an hour long rape joke.
I assume there's a good reason why the DM has the ship being run only by super hot amazonian babes, but for this episode at least it seemed like it was only there to make them titter and behave badly. It's also kind of a bummer that it relegates Sarah to being the mom trying to get everyone back on point and telling them to stop giggling behind their hands.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Man, Reality Show Show is so good I feel like actually watching the shows would take away some of the magic. Shark Tank is the only one that is kind of tempting me, but I think if I tried watching a whole show instead of listening to 3 minutes of it I'd get bored quick. All the bits were great, their guest was a teenage twitter star yet somehow that wasn't terrible, and Sean did a surprisingly decent Old Dirty Bastard impression, so all in all an amazing episode.

This is the first podcast there's no possible way I would have found on my own that I started listening to based only on the "podcast network" it was part of. Great job Earwolf!

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

If you skip past the extended "Matt grills a random guy from the internet" part, it was one of the best i4h episodes ever, in my opinion. They did a really great job of finding scenes that sort of commented on Sandy Hook without taking it there directly.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

barkingclam posted:

Is there a good place to start with Improv 4 Humans? I've been meaning to give that a shot, since a bunch of people I like on Comedy Bang Bang are on it, but with so many past episodes it's a bit daunting.

There have been some pretty great episodes lately, and there's some bit in every episode that makes it worth listening to, but here's my personal list of favorites:
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/quadruple-mix-in/
Jason Mantzoukas, Jessica St Clair and Lennon Parham do improv with Matt that goes to some really crazy places
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/its-your-choice-to-suck-a-dick/
Is an unfortunately titled episode where Betsy Sodaro, Jeff Hiller and Colton Dunn go off on Victoria Jackson (who apparently was supposed to be interviewed on the show but backed out) and many other things. Betsy has a really great voice that I can't believe isn't in every cartoon in the world right now.
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/basset-hound-lips/
Ian Roberts, Jon Daly, and another guy who I don't know but that is very good discuss Katt Williams' recent meltdown and wring some amazing improv comedy from it
http://www.earwolf.com/episode/gun-control/
Some talk about gun control and a "Matt grills a guy from the internet" segment but mostly just really hilarious, unexpected improv. Features an appearance by one of my favorites, Paul Rust, plus Sean Clements, one of the guys from Reality Show Show who I didn't even know was an improv comedian but who was way good

That went oldest to newest. Quadruple Mix-In and Gun Control are probably my two absolute favorites out of them all. Really though, you could start at the beginning and listen straight through the run of the podcast to have a good time.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

redz posted:

Jeff, I have the most important question so far for you. How good are the chances of seeing a second season of the CBB TV show sometime in the future? I know it hasn't been canceled but there hasn't been a word at all since it ended. Give me hope.

There was one point during the Best Of shows where it seemed like Scott almost slipped up and said something about it, but maybe I was just hearing what I wanted to hear.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

tnimark posted:

Alright, I think I have to finally cave and give this a listen. I was unsure of it because I don't watch any reality TV, but the response in this thread has been ridiculously positive.

Edit: Should I just start at the beginning or cherry pick some episodes?

Honestly every episode has been pretty great. If you don't mind listening to 12 episodes starting at the beginning would be fun, but I don't think you'll be lost at all if you just start with the newest one.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

jeffullrich posted:

Friday night, 5pm PST!

Will we be able to watch it later if we aren't able to watch the stream?

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Glitterbomber posted:

The new How Did This Get Made? is wonderful. Tim Heidecker is on and they talk Odd Life of Timothy Green. There's no super awesome jokes, but they have a legitimate two on two debate about the movie and it's really fun to hear.

It was definitely an interesting episode. I was kind of dreading it ever since they said Tim Heidecker was going to be on because while I love pretty much everything he's ever done I've never seen him break character before and I wasn't sure how good HDTGM would be with that on top of the discussion. Tim is genuine throughout though and contributed some real insight in to the movie.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

They've said several times they're planning on putting them up on Youtube. It's a pain in the neck that they aren't up still, I hope they get that whole thing figured out.
Also, it's crazy that the videopodcastnetwork.com site doesn't have any kind of schedule on it at all, I had to hunt all over to figure out when the broadcast tonight would start.

Greggy fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 24, 2013

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Deadpool posted:

It's literally right at the top of the Youtube page.

http://www.youtube.com/vpn

The weekly Earwolf show is always on Thursdays at 6pm PST.

Oops :downs:

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

The hosts' dynamic on Reality Show Show reminds me of Mike and Tom Eat Snacks. Except MATES beats their jokes into the ground (in a funny way). Also, because I have no idea what they're talking about on RSS, I find it hard to tell sometimes if they're being sarcastic or not.
Sometimes I get the feeling they're making up episodes of the reality shows completely. I'm probably just underestimating how dumb reality TV can be though.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Matt keeps talking about making i4h THE BEST PODCAST IN THE UNIVERSE!! and then tries to make it that way by making his bully-calls less about bullying people. He needs to just cut them because on the one hand, letters/content from listeners sections are always the worst part of any given podcast, and on the other the way he's chosen to do his just makes me cringe and feel bad for everyone involved the whole time. I'd get on earwolf and let him know how I feel but I don't want to spend an hour in skype with him and 3 other guys.

It's sad because everything else about i4h is so consistently great, he really doesn't need this one extra segment except to go "well I like it and it's my show so there!"

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Mob posted:

For the record, that special ep of I4H isn't a response to a listener, or some random Matt decided needed a dressing-down, it's a direct response to the shitfit had by Kurt Metzger.

Yeah, about halfway through I paused it and looked it up online. I can kind of see where both sides are coming from, but I think I side more with the UCB guys. They've built this thing to be what it is, and nobody is getting rich from these theaters. If comedians think not getting paid $20 is disrespectful, there are other places to perform. Hearing Metzger go "Who all has a beef with UCB?" and there being a really lame response kind of encapsulated it for me, but I guess it might have just been a small room he was performing for. I hope they do address the treatment of comics thing though if that's actually going on, that sounded bad.

Also, after getting around to listening to this weeks main I4H I retract my complaint about the Cased Closed segment. He put it at the end and warned you that if you don't like the segments, you wouldn't be missing anything else, so that's good enough for me. I still think it's a bad segment, though. The power is all in Matt's hands, so it can never be seen as anything but him picking on the caller. Regular random people just can't stand toe-to-toe verbally with a group of professional comedians. Matt is in charge of when the call happens, when it ends, and how it is edited. Listeners are going to be biased to Matt's point of view by default. However, it's his show and if it is something he just has to have, I think he's done a good job of separating it from the rest of the show for the people who don't want to listen to it.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Yeah, video I4H is going to own, I'm very excited!

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Is the I4H ep going to be archived on VPN? I forgot to watch it yesterday.

They usually put them up on Monday. I'll have to watch it then too, I did get on and start the stream, but I had to pause it to work on dinner and at some point when I came back and resumed it it randomly jumped to live so I thought I'd just wait and catch up when they post it.

What I saw was really good, I just hope they figure out the microphone situation because those headsets were super noisy and distracting.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

I didn't even realize the I4H full episode was on Youtube. I only knew about it because of a link at the end of the clip on Earwolf's channel. It's posted by VPN but not listed under their uploaded videos. The episode isn't even listed on Earwolf.com.

I don't know what the hell is going on with this poo poo but I hope they get it sorted out.

e: oh, it's unlisted. Why is it unlisted? wtf

Could you link it for me? I went looking for it yesterday and couldn't find it so I assumed it hadn't been uploaded yet.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

I know that pain. Luckily for me, as a filthy euro, the audio drops in the morning so I can listen it during commute and then when I come home I watch it all over again with video :buddy:

Except for being in the US rather than Europe, this is exactly how I do it! I only wish there was video of the Gillian Jacobs/PFT one, I would have loved to see that :allears:

Greggy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 18, 2013

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Tonight's live Improv4Humans was amazing. Tim Meadows, Sean Conroy and Horatio Sanz made for one of the best line-ups yet and they really went for it every scene. I'm a little bummed that this will probably mean there won't be a new episode on Thursday, but this one will definitely be worth listening to again so I'll survive.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Jake Fogelnest is easily one of my least favorite people to listen too. He is too drat excited about everything, let it breathe!

edit: Yes jake please explain that you are improving about the time cards, explaining the joke is always the best

I gave his podcast a try because Tom Sharpling said it was good, but he obviously had some reservations about it. I definitely see where he's coming from. The actual content of the podcast (the videos and guests' reactions to them) are very good, but Jake is immensely annoying to listen to. He has an awful radio voice, and is so astoundingly unfunny it really brings the podcast down. If you edited out his many catchphrases he's trying to force in and his bloated explanation of his podcast review scheme you'd cut the runtime significantly.
He also is in the youtube chat for all the VPN live shows making inane "jokes" while the VPN guy goes "Hey! Jake Fogelnest! That's him everybody!"
I think he's just one of those guys who put in the work through dogged determination and forced himself in by being too nice personally for people to tell him to gently caress off.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Mob posted:

For all you people saying he has no radio voice he sure as poo poo has had a job in radio for a long rear end time.

Good point, also Jay Leno is the best late night talk show host since he's been doing it for such a long time.

I posted my anti-Jake Fogelnest thing before I even heard him on Reality Show Show. Boy does he ever run every joke in to the ground. It was funny to hear Sean kind of gently call him out for the name-dropping.

His podcast content is good, his guests reacting to it can be great, but he is among my least favorite hosts out there.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

This post's insane. Is that really why you thought that bit was funny, because you think Foglenest was bragging about seeing some C-lister in an airport and deciding not to bother him?

No, I get that that was part of the joke, but it seems like that was like the third guy in a row Jake had mentioned that way? No one he mentioned was super-famous but it was a bunch of "I was talking to (very specific semi-famous person)".

Dancing Potato posted:

Personally my least favorite part of the Fogelnest Files is listening to him try desperately to get mileage out of apoplectic rage at WHAT THE KIDS ARE LISTENING TO THESE DAYS. I have very similar taste in music to him but holy poo poo the bitter old man shtick just dies every time.

I don't know man, he has a very well known "let the nice boys sing" stance in relation to One Direction. In fact, I think he may have mentioned it many, many times.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I like Jake because he just seems like such a positive guy. It sounds dumb, but I like the way he tries to find a supportive bend to most of the clips he plays. He seems genuinely in awe at the amazing world the internet has introduced to us, and I find that incredibly endearing. Yeah, and like the above post, Jake and I care about the same weird stuff. Like, yes...yes...I do care about production company spots from before I was born and old 900 number commercials. Our interests overlap pretty much 100 percent.

Also, I know this is all my completely biased POV. I found his podcast a week I was feeling super depressed, and all of a sudden there was this super happy guy talking about all these neat things I was also into, and listening to him would help get me through the day. I look forward to the relentless positivity once a week now.

Jake Fogelnest is a pretty cool dude.

This totally makes sense. I'm glad you found the podcast! I'll stop making GBS threads on your internet buddy, enjoy in good health :shobon:

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

They are a VERY acquired taste, the gimmick will either be enjoyable to you or you will hate it. I don't listen to them a lot, but will fire up an episode every now and then when in the mood or a guest I like.

Yeah, this is me too. It definitely isn't one I look forward to and listen to right away, but once in a while I'll be bored and will go "oh hey, I could see if they have anyone I'd like to hear."

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Mozi posted:

New I4H up! Merritt, Sodaro and Secunda.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but why are there awful filters on all the Earwolf photos? If I had to guess it's because the guests were uncomfortable being photographed in extremely casual dress and needed that layer of vaseline to obscure themselves, but if I want to see improv comedians covered in vaseline I have an entire hard drive for that.

They're using Instagram. I assume it has a no-filters option, but when you have all these fancy effects they are really tempting I guess.

Also I am super excited about Betsy Sodaro being back on, I really loved her other appearance!

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Jerkface posted:

What episode is the Ting advertisement on? Their take down on the weed site was in the last one.

Keep listening, farther in. Although the weed ad was funnier to me, the Ting one was them reading the ad copy they were given in a way to show how dumb they think it is.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Jerkface posted:

The episode is only 56 minutes long! Theres only 1 commercial break as far as I can tell :confused: Mystery ad!

That's really weird, where do you get it from? It was there on my mobile phone, as well as in itunes on my computer. 40:05 is where it begins.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

Which makes me bummed when Besser does his plugs for the podcast itself "I'm just a performer, a street peddler.."
Trying to get friends on it, hopefully they aren't actually hurting for numbers :ohdear:

That was just a reference to an earlier episode. Telling your friends is still a good idea!

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

jyrka posted:

To me Nerd Poker is just like real poker - unbelievably boring unless you're playing.

Yeah, I agree with this. I was expecting a lot more comedy in this comedy podcast. I don't know anything about D&D but I also never watch reality shows at all and Reality Show Show is one of my favorites.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

This week's How Did This Get Made was a pretty good one. It cracked me up to hear about June's taste in comedy. Them sticking to calling Stallone "Sylvester" the whole time just struck me as silly for most of the podcast, but towards the end Jason almost called him Stallone and stopped himself to call him Sylvester and that cracked me up. Nobody commented on it or anything, it was just a small moment, but after the whole podcast I guess it had just looped back around to hilarious for me.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

I haven't been a fan of the Case Closed segment in the past. I still don't love it, but I think Matt telling the other people on the panel to let him do the talking helps a ton. The ones I've disliked the most were the ones that seemed like a pile-on and just having it be one on one makes for a clearer discussion anyway. Matt did a good job of keeping the segment while also making it fair.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

This week's Improv4Humans was a classic. Great improv, great guest segment that led to some amazing scenes, and it was a little thing but I really liked that they did a scene about a gay couple without it being part of the joke at all.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

I really loved today's i4h. The callbacks were flying fast throughout. It definitely made me hope for a full UCB 4 episode, maybe with Horatio Sanz along as well, although that might be too crowded.
Now I really want to hear Amy on Comedy Bang Bang as a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Yeah, I was actually thinking a crossover with her (amazing) janitor character from this episode and Mike the janitor would be great :v: