Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

cams posted:

on a hunch i checked and yea, he's from long island

shocking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think Betsy and Mano somehow smoke too much weed to be able to play video games

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Bunk posted:

As Earwolf implodes, at least we got indirect confirmation of who the UTTHTMTH chicken Caesar salad story was about :

https://mobile.twitter.com/scottaukerman/status/1337227773392244737

Tiny Lister

drat I never would have guess that

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

piratepilates posted:

A chicken Caesar salad that was not available for catering, so a PA had to find a local restaurant and pick one up just for them. The way the person was described as doing this was by stepping out of the car, and immediately shouting to the friendly PA there to greet them, "CHICKEN CAESAR SALAD".

One of Scott's friends who hadn't been aware of the story also told him about the same thing happening on a different production, and it turns out it was the same person -- so they have a pattern of harassing PAs for chicken Caesar salads.

I think it was like first thing in the morning too

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Piquai Souban posted:

How Did This Get Played covered Hypnospace Outlaw, which I loved and I believe is a goon game. Dunno about the male guest though.

I’m starting to wonder about Nick Wiger wrt Hades being “horny as gently caress.” He says that all the time and I’ve played the game a bunch and it’s definitely not horny. It’s all static pictures of like purple anime people and the dialog will be like “Can’t wait to hang out when you get to olympus cousin!” or something. There’s some light optional romance story lines you can pursue but those are pretty chaste by any normal human’s standard.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

All the reviews and discussion I've seen about the game have made mention of its horny levels at some point, so it's not just Wiger. People are just thirsty for those character portraits.

ManoliIsFat posted:

IDK bro I think you may be missing some of the subtleties. Dionysus and Aphrodite, obvi. Dusa, classic shy, flustered anime horny. I wouldn't call the game "not-horny". It's aesthetically very horny (and hell I'll say it, even queer), less so in actual content or in-game romance.

100% doing a lot of the horniness heavy lifting.

One line of dialog out of 50 will say something like "Say hi to Achilles for me. I always admired him" or something and people are think that that's enough to qualify. It's notably less horny than a Bugs Bunny cartoon. It's infinitely less horny and probably less queer than actual greek myth. Dusa is a decapitated floating child's head without a nose that has snakes for hair. I fully prepared myself to be embarrassed for playing a horned up anime game when I picked it up because of the way it's been talked about and I've gotten to the ending/credits and I've yet to see anything justifying it. I think with some people just seeing a picture drawn like an anime triggers some kind of pavlovian DeviantArt response.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

aphrodite is only covered by her hair you unhorned freak

so is cousin It.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

eke out posted:

im in a bdsm-heavy relationship with my adoptive sister and another, simultaneously, with my adopted brother

it's way, way queerer than greek myth, which tends towards not being very queer at all (as, stereotypes aside, consensual adult same-sex relationships were not socially acceptable at all).

lol

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

mennoknight posted:

Bowie is a good fit too. Lots of interesting things to dig into, a real variance in styles, Brian Eno, wacky poo poo like Labyrinth and some truly awful 80's poo poo. Bowie would be fun. Hard to book though.

edit: I mean it would be hard to book David Bowie as a guest, because he is dead

I thought about how Bowie might be a slog when they get to that post Let’s Dance period but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Scotts actually liked some of that stuff given their age at the time. Also the first episode would be the goofy and bad self titled album so that would be pretty fun. Also Bowie’s last album was kind of amazing so it would end on a high note.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 18, 2020

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The same old same old—"These characters are unlikable", "This is all too vague", "Why would the Engineers want to do this?", etc. Nitpicking the surface level stuff so much that they never got beneath it.

Also, on a totally different note, does anyone remember any specific HH episode where Sean goes into mocking detail about how much he loves the crystals on weed?

I agree with them in that I dislike the stinger ending and I agree that some of the characters feel pretty broadly drawn but I disagreed with everything else they said. It all fits neatly with my theory that the people who got excited to see Prometheus and assumed it was going to be a xenonorph origin story were frustrated and the people who went to it relatively blind liked it ok. They seem to understand that on some level but kept circling back to trying to figure out how it didn’t make sense as an alien origin story. They were obviously also bouncing off the nihilism of the story a bit. The only part that really annoyed me was them thinking that it was ripping off AVP because they’re both clearly ripping off At the Mountains of Madness -and at least Prometheus didn’t do the idiotic ancient aliens pyramid thing.

feedmyleg posted:

The craziest thing about it is that they both seem to like Covenant a lot more than Prometheus. That is not a common take.

I’ve seen this opinion a lot actually. Nerds just wanted another episode of the Alien show, Covenant blandly gave it to them.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

lol, I'm amazed that Wiger has been suckered into NFTs. I don't know why, but I had assumed he had a good head on his shoulders. If you don't listen regularly to 'Played, it's 9 minutes in, immediately after they introduced the guest. It's just like baseball cards! Baseball cards that require a huge energy cost to exist, and are starting at a hype level of being sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

He’s very receptive to public shaming so I’m betting he apologizes later.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Srice posted:

It's definitely a lot more difficult to find a bad game that can sustain interesting discussion for an entire episode than it is to find a weird/quirky game that's interesting to talk about, so I'm real glad they drifted away from the huge focus on bad games.

I just wish they’d do Trespasser.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Stanley Kubrick was nominated for a razzie for The Shining. They aren’t punching up or down they’re just lame as hell.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jokymi posted:

lol at Wiger doubling down on NFTs in the new HDTGP.

"Yeah it's bad for the environment but it's like buying a plane ticket, the plane would still be flying even if you didn't buy the ticket!"

yeah I think he’s just excited to be collecting the basketball cards of the future or something. he likes the slam dunks and the big big men

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

I was waiting for them to bring up Jay Johnston when they started talking about 1/6 but they never did.

I wonder what the fbi is waiting for with him

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I kind of get what Heather is saying about puzzles in games on HDTGP. Only I don’t ever get it from smaller puzzle games because they’re so brief, I only get the feeling that it’s a chore in bigger games because I feel like I need to deal with something annoying just to get to the fun part of the game again. I definitely get that feeling in most if not all boss fights, I’m not really sure if I agree with what she’s saying about how those feel different because they’re “responsive.”

I’ve been thinking about this recently because I just started playing video games again after about a 10 year break and I’m finding Dark Souls a little tedious. It was fun for a while but now I feel like it’s just a slog of awkward platforming puzzles.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Which Dark Souls, and what section? Cuz if it's the original, then yeah, you'll definitely get that from, like, Sen's Fortress and Blight Town, but it eases up for most of the rest.

Yeah, this is it. Every time I pick it up now I’m like “oh right, I got to teeter around these planks to find the hidden snipers” and it saps my will to play it.

quote:

I like puzzle games, but it still depends on how it's implemented. I feel like the Zelda games have always been pretty good about their puzzles. "Shoot the eye above the door" is a little perfunctory and lame, but so much of Skyward Sword was amazing puzzles, paired with really annoying combat, and Breath of the Wild is full of great puzzles. (And HAC likes BotW, so that says something.)

I've been playing Returnal, and I'm stuck at a boss. The game is entirely reflex and pattern-based, and while that's really fun, cuz the game feels good, I can only play it for an hour or two before burning out, and switching to a game that has more variety to it, including puzzles.

I've always found HAC's anti-puzzle sentiment kind of strange, because so many video games are puzzle-based.

The Zelda games never feel that way to me, true. Though my least favorite part of BOTW was the boss fights, probably for the same reason.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

blighttown feels like the intent is for you to panic and fall off a bridge, landing next to a bonfire and accidentally skipping half the level

I might try this falling down a bunch strat

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I can't find the episode or the clip, but there is an incredible RSS where they play a clip of a guy on the real world explaining how he "experimented with having sex with men" because he didn't make the football team in high school (?) and sean says he can relate because when he couldn't join the yearbook committee he spent a year getting his rear end railed

“I was face down in a locker!” or something

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The World Inferno posted:

They did him dirty not mentioning his supporting role in There Will Be Blood.

we gain nothing by losing our heads!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I don’t care what they do as long as they never do death stranding again. Also they should do Trespasser

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
They do seem burned out sometimes so it’s the right decision regardless but if they switch to essentially a new game review show I’ll probably tap out. The thing I like about the show is that they sometimes review the weird stuff I remember from back when I played more games.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Riptor posted:

I checked out of newcomers in the (i think) empire strikes back episode where Nicole mentioned how she was on her phone most of the time during the movie. Like, whats the point then

I never started listening despite liking both the hosts. I just don’t need to hear a comedians opinion on Star Wars ever again.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Hoss has the strength of a monster

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

It's a really good show. Hanford can't make a drink right to save his life.

What are you talking about? he’s the inventor of the Russian Root

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Ice optional!!!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I bailed during Chucky when it was clear the magic was fading. I dipped into the Final Destination episodes but it felt, like you said, perfunctory. Love those guys, but it feels pretty rote.
edit: I thought the first round of Yuppie Nightmares was great. They should have just fully leaned into that instead of chasing franchises they don’t actually like.

The only movie podcast I’m still loyal to is Action Boyz, and every movie is worth watching. Except that’s harder to schedule every week for me these days.

It’s still pretty good when it’s something one of them really likes like a De Palma movie or something, but I know what you mean. I’ll only listen to episodes about movies I’ve seen though, and apparently I just don’t have the appetite for erotic thrillers and lifetimey stuff that they do so I skipped a bunch of Yuppie Nightmares round 2. Glad it finally made me see After Hours though, that alone was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I bet they feel locked into generating a bunch of content now that they have a good amount of patrons