Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the extended bit of them not knowing how to work a computer in the grace helbig episode is also very good, though not particularly recent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

feedmyleg posted:

At least with The Canon the hosts have personalities

let's not say things we can't take back

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

latest hh ep hinted strongly at a future appearance of the real brandon content, presumably played by pft. wish real hard, everyone

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the last 30 minutes had some of the most brilliant, delirious (heh) podcast moments i've heard in a while

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i've been listening to the mars man bit on loop for like five minutes

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Tarranon posted:

maybe it's just getting old, maybe it's because society is getting more loaded with junk data and reference culture

but all the interesting facts sean makes fun of are also things i can't stand hearing repeated every time someone thinks they have something interesting to say

oh you think the only good steak is a rare steak because of the science of food cooking??? that's really interesting i never heard that before!!!

i like this bit you're doing where you describe why something's funny while pretending not to realize it

Tarranon posted:

i agree that that is why they are funny dorklords

you've done a poor job of articulating this.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Tarranon posted:

really the only lady dud i can think of is tracey wigfield but it wasn't for lack of trying...

i'd rather think she was making a conscious choice not to play along with those bits because i was in tears that episode

Work Friend Keven posted:

Norm McDonald making fun of the man grill is the funniest thing in podcast history

this is canon

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Opinions on its quality aside, it's a musical where EVERYBODY (except King George I think?) is played by people of color.

george iii and samuel seabury. it's bad

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

there are definitely qualms to be brought up about recasting our white supremacist founding fathers as hip minorities and what that does to rehabilitate the image of those founding fathers and the us as a whole

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i can't tell if you're attempting to set a nerd trap or just genuinely don't know the most basic facts about alexander hamilton, but either way lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

criticizing a musical theatre anything for being a bit silly is weird, since every musical by its nature is a bit silly. if you don't like that, cool, whatever, but pretty pointless to single out shows for that reason

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this is why we need a dead in the water broadway subforum, imo

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Practical Demon posted:

I dunno. The musicals thread in PYF died within a few days. The earwolf thread seems like the logical place to go.

i don't actually want a musical theatre subforum or thread, god knows the extant broadway boards are terrible enough

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

piratepilates posted:

I'm just now listening to the last New York HH and holy crap this episode is amazing.

i listened to this on a long drive home while extremely high and cry-laughed nonstop. kind of want to revisit it sober but the magic might get ruined

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

anotherone posted:

Someone needs to come up with a good Stephen Sondheim impression.

i have one but i am unfortunately not a professional comedian or actor.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Ape of Naples posted:

I know a place where I can take lessons to become a professional comedian and/or an actor. Maybe we should have a child and imbue it with our combined characteristics. Are you both sexually fertile and physically able to carry said child in your body until it's viable outside your body? It'll be a natural triple threat. Comedian(ne)/actor(ess)/Sondheim impersonator(ess).

Think about it and get back to me.

hard pass

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Ape of Naples posted:

I have a sad, desperate crush on Claudia O'Doherty. I mean that as uncreepily as possible.

i regret to inform you "as uncreepily as possible" is still at least a little creepy

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

something tells me talking poo poo about an actually bad podcast would go beyond irony and get into "that time the bachelor had a one-armed woman rollerskate" serious mockery territory

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Tarranon posted:

It would probably be like the time they went over the James Bond director's advice for people trying to get into the biz: hilarious

well yes but there might be actual repercussions if the good owns were done on people who might listen to them. i don't disagree that it would be funny though

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'm extremely cool.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

JethroMcB posted:

For all you lucky Big Apple types, Hollywood Handbook will be recording a live show in NYC on May 21st. Tickets are $25.

i'm going to be in nyc that week so there is no way i'd miss this. thanks for the tip

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i bought a ticket to the live hollywood handbook but the panel i'm doing at a conference happens at the exact same time. if anyone in the nyc area wants my ticket send me a message

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

hello, just chiming in to say i made a face when i saw a podcast on the homepage titled "the room where it's happening." cheer's.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

PBS Newshour posted:

Its kinda silly that people keep insinuating that Hamilton ignores race when the entire point of the musical is realizing the common rags to riches hiphop narrative is oddly similar to this founding father from a long time ago. The entire musical is about race. Its messed up that people paint it as ignoring race because it doesn't mention slavery every other line but typically in white created art about the founding fathers those pieces have often ignore race way more.

You can dislike the musical because you don't like the songs or whatever, but its ridiculous that people are claiming this piece of art created by people of color that is all about race is not all about race. Like just dislike poo poo like normal people you goobers.

it's definitely not hosed up and weird to draw equivalencies between a white guy who moved from an apartheid state to a white supremacist one to any present-day immigrant

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

PBS Newshour posted:

lmao

yes its incredibly gently caress up and weird to draw comparisons between different immigrants

hamliton was also an abolitionist

oh word?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The graey alien post but it's about Hamilton.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

cams posted:

i hear people complain about how sick they are of hamilton infinitely more than i hear anyone saying anything else about it at all.

you should consider yourself lucky. but then i'm involved with theater people and media types so maybe it's skewing my experience a tad

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pot Of Shoe posted:

Yeah the Hamilton podcast is pretty bad.

All it is is people who loving love Hamilton sitting in a room and fawning all over it without a hint of irony. I get that Hamilton is popular and it's probably going to draw listeners from other markets, but why this sweaty fellatio parade?

the bit in the ad when john hodgman breathlessly recounted the time he told his family they HAD to listen to the album RIGHT NOW made me groan involuntarily

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

He's a big time fucker and going down for sure.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Big Apple Bible

this was probably my all time favorite podcast episode

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't know if anyone listens to The Canon but I would guess it's probably done now (the guy who co-hosts it sexually assaulted someone)

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/devin-faraci-birth-movies-death-sexual-assault-1201885262/

good riddance to bad rubbish

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Work Friend Keven posted:

Due to how the earwolf deals are structured, that very likely means Scott no longer owns his own back catalogue or the name comedy bang bang. Lol.

lmao

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

piratepilates posted:

I thought he just moved to New York and couldn't be on the show as much.

if you could write this out in six or seven long paragraphs i might be able to get behind this theory. until then, gonna have to go with the insane guy

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

adomian should have been cast on snl like eight years ago so a lot of that is probably built up resentment

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this is true of a lot of comedians who aren't already on tv

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Tarranon posted:

He can only get so far with me by saying tane over and over again

after a certain point it just feels gratuitous

Tane.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

if you have whatever brain disease makes you like the canon the canon is back

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Chairman Capone posted:

If they're doing it with a different co-host each episode, it could have potential, though really just the fact it doesn't have Faraci in it any more means it will automatically be an improvement. If they ever do it with a guest host I really liked, I'd give it a shot.

i'm gonna listen to the armond white episode because i love armond white

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this is either gonna be a straight parody of those lovely masterclass courses by celebrities picking up a paycheck or its own thing

no matter what it should be great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

feedmyleg posted:

Huh. Just noticed this.

http://nowhearthisfest.com/line-up/#!programmation=artist$lauren-lapkus-jon-gabrus/173

Are Lapkus and Gabrus going to team up for a new podcast??

i hope it's a weekly hour of them talking about what tv shows they remember watching