Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Illinois Smith posted:

Tom being a semi-regular part of HH now is my favorite podcast development ever, especially after he's railed against podcasts on his show for a decade. :)

Also I thought they record these in Tom's studio but I doubt he'd have a Midroll mission statement hanging on the wall there.

Yeah. Always good for some laughs. The first episode that they brought him in to pretty much poo poo all over his show was brilliant. Hollywood Handbook has quickly become one of my favorite podcasts. I4H and With Special Guest are the other two Earwolf podcasts that I regularly listen to. Funny that the June 2016 reddit listener numbers has those three bunched up around 30k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Latest episode of Hollywood Handbook was great. And not because of the guest, Karen Kilgariff. The first half was just a riff with intern Andy. Some top notch stuff.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

New improv4humans was great too. Paul Rust is one of my favorite guests.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

I hate trying to come up with i4h dream teams because there are just too many greats who I love seeing bounce off each other.

I've been listening to some older episodes again in anticipation of the Howl paywall and the 420 episode from last year with the transition-ways and the Dan Deacon one are probably my top two, with maybe the Andy Daly/Katie Dippold bee episode right behind them.

When is the paywall expected to go into effect?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Illinois Smith posted:

no listen to the last HH it's literally one long howl ad no amount of fast-forwarding will help

For too long, women has been the feet.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

beeman posted:

the future will be like bionic man, but instead of everyone loving jingles, the radio mainstay will be Hollywood Handbook ads

Demolition Man......bro.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

The Ape of Naples posted:

The i4H numbers make me sad but aren't unexpected. When it's on it's amazing but there's too many music guests/case closed/call ins and I just don't want to invest my time into it anymore. And it's a free show. It should be a no brainer awesome show week after week but for all the occasional brilliance I just don't want to listen and get annoyed by Besser. I just want talented improvisers doing their thing.

Sorry day drunk and ranting.

Way too many musical guests.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Thoughts on I4H: Gabrus should be made a co-host.

Andy Daly should be featured in every episode. His multiple referee character in episode 4 is the benchmark for all other sketches.

Paul Rust should be featured in every episode. Let's be honest.....it's rare that there are multiple good scenes in any single episode. Rust has an infectious laugh that can lift up even the worst sketches. It seems like he legitimately enjoys being there....and that boosts the quality of the podcast imo. The Andrew Dice Clay child impersonation was fantastic. Absolutely the benchmark for all other sketches.

I4H is at it's best when they don't resort to gross out humor. I vote for less poop jokes, and less dick jokes, and less old grandma pussy jokes and crusty buttholes.

Other thoughts: Cut out the music. It seems to be hated by everyone. I'm not listening to comedy podcasts for music.

I am a huge Besser fan.....but at the same time......he seems like a very offputting person. Very opinionated. I think it makes some guests uncomfortable.

Some final thought for your dumb face: Has Sean and Hayes ever been featured on I4H? Sean and Hayes should be featured in every episode. It's likely that this would be the benchmark for all other episodes.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 5, 2016

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

GobiasIndustries posted:

Any other benchmarks you can think of?

The live South by SW episode of the Hooray Show. Besser, Walsh, O'Neil. The murder house skit is geenius.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Unmarked every Hollywood Handbook episode on podcast addict and now relistening to every one. Genius stuff. It was also fun to listen to the 39 episodes of the Reality Show Show. Finding it afterwards was a little bit of an adventure. The first episode had a way different tone. But over the course of that podcast......you could notice the evolution into what became Hollywood Handbook.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Also......excited for the Hanibal Burress podcast. Love his deadpan delivery. Should be a good one.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

I was slightly disappointed with the first Hannibal show. Didn't eat anybody. Also wasn't very funny. I'll definitely give it a few more weeks.....as I really like Hannibal.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Good god. The Hard Nation episode with Sean and Hayes as Dog Bone and Dinosaur Bone was brilliant.

Dog Bone's myspace techno song followed by the host of HN asking "now you know that's not good, right?" LOL!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Not Operator posted:

Mike Detective is the best thing on Earwolf and I kept it on my feed for years after it ended hoping it'd update one day.

One of the first podcasts I found. Loved it. Not sure how it would translate to the screen. Not being able to actually see what's going on is what gives it the freedom to be wacky.....but awesome. Visuals would ruin it imo.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Hollywood Handbook has exceeded the boundries of podcasting. I can't wait for Tuesday and the new episodes. There probably isn't a single episode where I didn't get several good laughies. I'm currently relistening to all the episodes. Funny to listen to the Reality Show Show after discovering HH. It took a few episodes for the guys to gain their stride....but there was some comedy gold there as well. From the first episode to the last.....you could hear the show turning into HH.

I4H is typically pretty good. It's always going to be hit or miss.....but it's worth waiting through the flops to get to the gems. Bringing on guests (some better than others) at random and riffing with them isn't an easy task......but Besser is a pro at letting the skits develop and pull them back on track if it's not working. Like most.....the musical episodes are mostly a drag and when he goes on political rants it completely derails the show.

I was hoping for better on the Hannibal Burress podcast. I've only listened to a couple of episodes and cannot get into it. His stand-up is great and his cadence really gets me. The show just isn't interesting. I'll probably stick with it until they get few of the kinks out.

CBB....never got into it. Don't know why.....because it seems to have a decent following.

HDTGM I listened to for a while....but if they aren't talking about a movie that I've seen.....it's usually a boring listen.

Not Earwolf related....but I recently stumbled upon Super Ego. It's super wierd....but it's got a neat premise. Several of the skits had me laughing my whole butt off.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Oh, and I'm caught up on HH and I4h.....but if anyone wants to suggest any episodes of their other favorite comedy podcasts.....that would be appreciated.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

padijun posted:

Earwolf related, and I'll admit this might have very niche appeal, but try Pistol Shrimps Radio. It's two guys (Mark McConville and Matt Gourley from Super Ego) who know nothing about basketball trying to call women's rec-league games. It's more about sour patch kids, spoonerisms, and arbitrarily assigning the referees nicknames than what's actually happening on the field.

Adomian episodes from the CBB archive are all top-notch

If you want a non-earwolf suggestion: My Brother, My Brother an Me is a guaranteed hour of solid goofs every monday

I actually have listened to an episode of pistol shimps last week. It shows up under my Super Ego feed. It seems like something that I could get into. My, Brother, My Brother, and Me I subscribe to. Only listened to a few episodes though. I might have to get back to it. There's just so many good podcasts these days.....it's hard to keep up.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

rapeface posted:

I know the ad read discussion was a few pages back but the ads with Scott Auckerman and Hayes and Sean was some of the funniest Content I've ever heard.

Also, Matt Besser saying chocolate nom-noms.

You aren't referring to the ad read with PFT, Hayes, and Sean playing as an evil Scott Auckerman Howl dictator trying to get them to read the Howl ads despite it not being a real thing. It he keeps shoving a shoe horn into PFT's mouth. Definitely one of my favorite ad reads along with any Wolfman Jack ones.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Help Im Alive posted:

Also maybe this is kind of weird to link (I saw it today in the reddit comments of that high and mighty episode) but he wrote a little about his addiction after Philip Seymour Hoffman died

https://www.facebook.com/clemsean/posts/10151852223031537

Awesome. Thanks for sharing this. Sean is absolutely hilarious and the Hollywood Handbook podcast is one of my favorite things in the world since I first heard it. Now.....while I don't have any hollywood aspirations......I get this. I don't have any issues with drugs.....but alcohol has been a major issue for me for 10+ years. Fortunately it hasn't derailed my life.....but it's caused me nothing but problems.....some more serious than others. Reading something like this from someone that you admire helps put some things into perspective. PSH happens to be one of my favorite actors as well. Almost Famous is nearly a perfect movie. And I completely agree that PSH stole the show. One of my favorite movie quotes of all time was his:

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

The Ape of Naples posted:

I just relistened to Gourley on "with Special Guest" and he's awesome on it. And unhinged.

Brilliant episode. The net joke thing had me cracking my whole butt up.

Oh.....and maybe I'm in the minority......but I thought that this past episode of HH was kind of weak.

I4H has been killing it as of recently.

Hard Nation has been great as well.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Tatumje posted:

There are good parts in every episode of HH, but the past couple of eps have dragged. They've been running out of steam more often and are really leaning into that frustration. It's a weird vibe.

I really liked the last episode. The one prior....the music episode with Mikal Cronin was a flop imo. However.....a few back......with Kulap.....owned. Super funny throughout.

It does make you think however....that Sean and Hayes aren't bluffing when they say that they are ending the show. They might realize that the schitck won't carry the show forever. With that said.....it's still the best podcast out there.....and I anxiously await Tuesdays for the new episodes.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Didn't care for the i4H this week. Then again....I was kind of nodding off while listening to it. I'll have to re-listen to it.....as i4H has been killing it recently. Didn't get a chance to listen to the Hard Nation this week. I'll have to get around to that. HN started off slow....but it's really found it's stride. Super weird.....but consistently funny. The satirical nature of the far right and far left hosts (who happen to be brothers) creates a very entertaining dynamic.

Hollywood Handbook crushed it again this week. Doesn't hurt having the fantastic PFT as a guest. Just a super funny concept episode. But once again.....it seems like they could be winding down the show. They've been completely moving away from their Hollywood insider format for a while now. Not to mention the jokes about stealing Spont. I remember when the Reality Show Show was winding down. You started seeing the groundwork being laid for HH. I'm really hoping that if they do end HH.....it's because they are booting up a new podcast.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Good episode of HH today. Oh....and I caught up with last weeks episode of Hard Nation. Brilliant. Keeps getting better and better. "The United Promise"!!! LOL!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Tatumje posted:

Speaking of good ones, take a look at the new streaming service Vioobu and their exciting new series Cuplicated.

I promise it isn't a joke dedicated to skewering Seeso for 35 minutes.

Edit: Osama Tim Allen

Good god. This show is wacky....and I cannot turn away.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

ImPureAwesome posted:

I wish you had ep numbers those sound hilarious

Also you don't have any Andy Daly in that list

One of my favorite scenes......like episode three where Andy Daly is the multiple referee.....going around making rulings on a number of different things.

Also wanted to mention the anti-suicide ceiling fan scene. The one fan store that steals Bessers robot voice is hilarious.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I don't think there's an easy answer to "What is Hollywood Handbook?" anymore. It's just Sean and Hayes drifting in the wind and getting into as tight of a meta spiral as they can, while not committing to it at all. It's wonderful, and I agree with the poster that said it's one of my favorite podcasts now that they've dropped the segments and format, but I can definitely see why some don't dig that. I think I just like the show as a firehose for Sean's personality.

I loved the show before and still do. Sean has always been the bigger draw for me.....and his ability to pivot on a dime really fits this new format. I think that Hayes has really benefited from this loose format as well. The Mr. Hamburger minute from a few weeks ago was brilliant. Still the show that I look forward to every week.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

The_Rob posted:

His job of slamming dumpsters together always made me laugh. It's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

I loved that bit too. So absurd that it was genius. I'd also like them to once again ask a guest if making a girl cum is important. It's been a while since they've done that.....but it's always been out of nowhere......and it catches the guest off guard.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

You know which podcast is far and away the best? It's Hollywood Handbook. Anyone who disagrees can go ahead and suck on these.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Unmerciful posted:

You can get a year of stitcher premium for 90% off with code BATOUR apparently. I just signed up for $3.50 and it says I'm good through August 2018 with the free month up front. Seems like a pretty desperate move on their part but I'm not complaining..

Thanks for the tip, homie.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Dave Thomas from SCTV gets the show more than any other guest, except for maybe Sinbad (really).

Loved the Dave Thomas episode. Don't get me wrong......I love the episodes where the boys are being passive aggressive assholes......and trying to confuse their guests......but that episode was super unique as Dave Thomas picked up on it right away and had amazing chemistry. He was clever enough to not skip a beat. Ben Schwartz and Thomas Middleditch were keyed in too....which made for a couple more great episodes. Middleditch is great on every one of these podcasts though.

Otherwise the first Tom Scharpling episode is a classic. I love when they just insult their guests. The first episode with Adam Pally where they continuously call his show 'News Girl' and then the whole Lemorne Morris thing, until Pally was just pissed and super frustrated had me hooked immediately.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Yes, the Teacher's Lounge is brilliant. Free Cheetahman.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Didn't care for the first episode of Stolen Idea. Too much singing.
Teachers Lounge continues to be excellent.
I've been enjoying Mission to Zyxx as well.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

GraPar posted:

The most recent With Special Guest, with Besser doing a Handmaid's Tale parody, is really, really funny and dark. Can be appreciated even if you've never watched the show.

I'll listen to anything that Besser is invovled in. I had my doubts off the bat......but this episode was comedy gold.

Oh......and Stolen Idea......after a confusing first episode......has done a 180. That second episode was great.

Off-Book.......haven't really gotten into. But I love Jess McKinna. And this Zach Reino dude.....who I never heard of prior to this podcast.....is spot on funny. Two super talented hosts......but not a great concept. They would kill in a Spont-Like format. And add in PFT. Don't care for many of his reoccuring characters......but you can hear how much he enjoys these podcasts.....and it makes it way better. Oh, and Mr. Peanut Butter! He's brilliant on Bojack Horsedog.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Oh, and Strictly Business turned me off from the beginning......but it turned out to be hilarious. I've gotta stop judging these podcasts on the first episode. Drew Tarver is great in everything. Is Seeso going defunked? Bajillion Dollar Properties is one of the best things on TV or on Not-TV. If Seeso shuts down.....Comedy Central better scoop this up. It's brilliant.

Oh....and if you haven't listened to Hollywood Monsterclass......you've wasted a life.

Wanna pimp Hard Nation too. It's highs are way better than its lows. Check it out if you've never heard it.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

The Senator Giroux posted:

Bajillion is up on iTunes now, but other than that and the shows mentioned above, all the other Seeso stuff is dead.

So Bajillion is going to continue? (fingers crossed).

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Melcome to my monster class.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

The Berzerker posted:

is Doctor Gameshow good

I have only listened to the first episode. It was all over the place. The games were stupid. The riffing was way better with Jo trying to keep everything moving along but failing miserably. Manolo's Rhyming Ring song had me laughing out loud though.

Oh....and I'm sure I've mentioned it before.....but Mission to Zyxx continues to be very good. It's like a new age Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy in podcast format.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

ArtVandelay posted:

Great episode, but probably the worst drat musical guest he's ever had. Besser's got a truly awful taste in music.

I usually just skip through the music. It doesn't bother me too much since it commonly sets up some decent scenes. And the musical guest this week wasn't THAT bad. The music wasn't bad at all. Some of it I actually liked. However.....the lyrics were stupid and the dude had an unpleasant singing voice.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Stitcher Premium is absolutely worth it:

The Complete Woman
improv4humans
With Special Guest
Stolen Idea
Strictly Business
Mike Detective
Hard Nation
Superego
Teachers Lounge
Hollywood Handbook
Hollywood Monsterclass

There's more.....but these are all pretty great.

Want to throw a plug in for Mission to Zyxx. Really good podcast that sounds like The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

I listened to the first couple and thought they were fun, but really felt pretty much the same as Improvised Star Trek which I got tired of as too zany after a couple dozen episodes. Does it change at all after the first 2 or 3 episodes, or end up feeling more serialized?

Tone stays pretty much the same. However the situations that they get into keeps it feeling fresh......while the guest characters are mostly great...and the chemistry between the characters/improvisers is very good. I'd say give it a few more episodes before giving up on it.