Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ms 9 Months is hitting some kind of serious sleep regression.

Usual bedtime pattern is put her down about 8-8:30 pm, but the last couple weeks she’s been waking up in the middle of the night somewhere from 2-3 am. The routine has been to get a bottle and then use the carrier until she no longer pops out of sleep once she’s in the crib, but as this takes on average an hour, yours truly is getting some atrocious sleep.

Oh, and did I mention it’s always me taking care of this nighttime fun? Thanks dear.

Searching for “9-month sleep regression” shows a series of contradictory suggestions, and looking at things like sleep training techniques are harder to pull off because we are not in some enormous American house (what’s a nursery? :v: ).

It’s almost 4 am my time and I’ve been up since 2:30. Send help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Emily Spinach posted:

It might seem counterintuitive but have you tried putting her down earlier?

There’s been a couple times when she’s crashed around 7 pm in the last 4-6 weeks and pops up at 3 am for a feeding. We’ve tried to counter that by topping up with a bottle (5 pm food feeding / bath / 7-8 pm bottle before bed) the last couple days.

quote:

As long as she's not sick. Or teething. Or the moon is in the wrong phase.

Guess what I noticed popping through the other day :shepface:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Koivunen posted:

1am… desperately googling Ferber method and sleep training.

This was me two nights ago, last night, and also right now :smithicide:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

9-month-old now has a whacked-out sleep schedule, wakes up after 5 hours sleeping overnight, and won’t go back to bed in her crib. I’ve had the baby gently snoring in the baby carrier for almost two hours, but try and put her back to bed, and it’s a siren scream immediately.

This truly is hell.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Baby’s first illness was last week - but of cold that we got knocked over with meds. And then she popped a fever Sunday, and we figure out Friday finally that it’s also baby’s first ear infection.

Sing along if you know the words: we just started daycare three weeks ago and she’s now missed a full week :shepface:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Now that we have Ms. 1.25 years old into daycare full days, after the first year of newborn to baby to small toddler stages, having her out of the house in the daytime has the same effect on me that walking out of a loud concert into the quiet night always did. like my ears were ringing in the quiet for the first month or so she was gone full days, it was great and weird at the same time.

we're talking about trying for #2 at some point, both of us had a couple years between ourselves and younger siblings, so it's a question of timing and then a future question of where we put the both of them once they're bigger. Definitely not thinking of #3 ever, that's way too much of a change, plus the whole zone versus man thing as well. Both of us come from families of 4, that seems like a good stopping place.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

But if you're not on an airline based in the US they don't have to follow FAA guidelines and there's a decent chance a flight to Taipei is on a carrier that falls under a different countries regulations

The other factor is brands may not be available outside some countries. I don’t know the Taiwan market, but those car seat recommendations aren’t brands I recognize being widely available in Japan, for instance.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Last Saturday: missus suggests we take Little Ms 1 Year Old to the doctor, the cough is getting worse.

Sunday: Take her in in the morning, get cough medicine, get her down for a nap. Wakes up from the nap into a 102 F/39 C fever, take her back to the clinic, get fever medication and an appointment for Monday to check for viruses.

Monday: Fever goes down but jumps up once meds wear off. Negative for COVID and flu. Check the ears but get sent home with “if she’s still got fever on Wednesday, come back.”

Tuesday: not really getting better. Pops fever again.

Wednesday: Take her to nearby E/N/T that have seen her before. Ear infection! Who could have guessed (me, it’s me). Fever down but not out, so keep her home one more day.

Thursday: No fever, antibiotics ripping through the diaper supplies, have to watch her solo most of the day because wife is busy with work and goes to the office in the afternoon.

Kinda feeling shattered today, can’t lie.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Doctor Candiru posted:

Ear infections are awful, but a diagnosis feels good, yeah? Plus she's probably feeling better today?

Did no one at the clinic check her ears on Monday?

Yeah, having her back to normal is a relief. I’m just catching something as well and need some rest.

They did quickly check her ears on the Wednesday, but tl;dr it wasn’t our usual clinic (that one was closed for holidays) and I don’t think the doctor wanted to throw antibiotics at every problem. Understandable.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Kids just love to brush! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QMogM6TRIQ

I was never a Sesame Street kid, but I've settled on that being the one brand we're letting our baby get into. I play a Sesame Street album for him at bathtime, and it contains a lot of songs about toothbrushing that are all in my head now forever.

https://youtu.be/LPle-aDRxh4

A long-running Japanese public broadcast kids show, Okaaaan to Issho (Together With Mom) has a brushing song and segment they do weekly. NHK appears to have nuked the full episodes or segments off YouTube, but the current remix version of the song is done by a famous J-pop group, Perfume.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

My wife has used “come see the baby!” as a way to lure some people out, and sharing connections on IG/Facebook has meant realizing some friends she has also have little kids, but she’s also much less active with her friends than I was in a pre-COVID/baby world in general. And now we’re both tired from having Little Ms 1.5. So.

None of this feels like an easy problem to solve without just moving forward a year or two.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Oh we’ve played that game with Ms 1.5 as well, not that she wants something to drink, but wants to steal your drink.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

Not feeling very confident about the next year and a half now thanks to this page

Yeah same. Little Ms 1.5 is already trying to be super independent, I know it’ll get tougher from here. But it’s also so fun to see her grow.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Little one started getting a bit of a runny nose and cough the last day or so. Thought “if it’s still bad we’ll take her to the clinic Saturday morning.” (Yes, the closest one is open Saturday mornings).

Daycare calls the missus just before 5 pm, little one had a bad enough coughing fit during lunch to bring food back up, and popped a fever when they checked temperatures per usual in late afternoon.

Why yes this is a three-day weekend where I live, why do you ask? :negative:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Little Ms 1.5 insisted on walking home from daycare last night, and walking with me when I took her this morning as well. It’s less than a half mile (love living in dense greater Tokyo) but has to cross a couple busy roads, she did well to hold my hand and manage them.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I live in Japan, shower or bath at night is practically required by the constitution here :shrug:

but now it's become a routine, which means even if Ms. 1.5 isn't super tired after a bath, she still has learned It's Time to Wind Down.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

The hosed up bit is if you have a second child and either (or both) parents take paternity leave, then they may kick your first child out of daycare because a parent is now at home instead of working and able to take care of the child, so there's no need for them to take up a spot at daycare!

I also live in Japan, I will have to ask my wife and check on this. Would be pretty hosed up for that to happen!

And yes, it’s super competitive in some areas - my wife visited about 10 different public (ninka-hoikuen) locations, and we applied for about 16 that were close enough, and I was still basically convinced we would have to start at my company’s daycare before a spot opened. But we got our girl in from the start of the school year in April first time :coal:

At least it worked out and the cost we pay has gone down in recent months too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Carotid posted:

Our child has decided to be a ghost witch cat pumpkin princess.

One of my favorite Dr Octagon B-sides.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

I live in Japan and my wife is Japanese, so my 2 year old speaks a mix of the languages. It's kind of 50/50 whether or not she latches onto the English or Japanese word for certain things.

This is just ahead of where I am to a T. Little Ms 1.75 is getting a good grasp of “papa yada” at the moment though :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

It’s going to be great when the bottles go away and we get the upper rack of our dishwasher back.

Hand washing bottles that then get sanitized in a microwave was my hell for about a year, now I just have to figure out adding baby plates into the dishwasher. None of the sippy cups are dishwasher safe, so those are hand wash.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Farquar posted:

My six year old is obsessed with The Tain by The Decemberists. An 18 minute epic that he demands whenever he gets to choose a song. That put The Decemberists in my top spot, and I certainly don't mind.

Oh that’s spectacular, what a random yet excellent thing to get obsessed with.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Renegret posted:

Participation for all is compulsory under punishment of meltdown.

So many good potential thread titles these days

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Now that’s a drat bubble :hmmyes:

Benagain posted:

the casual ease with which I'm prepared to hold other people's babies and coo at them is still funny to me. I used to be so scared and now I'm just like hey wanna break? c'mere little bub

Oh yeah, I think I only held friends’ kids for very short times before we had ours, and I was so nervous. Almost two years in yeah, I’m ready, pass me a newborn, take yourself a break.

Our little one used to be in the carrier a bunch, including help her get ready for sleep, but hasn’t been carrier in that for a good long while. Last weekend she spotted it, asked to be in it for a second, and was basically like “I’m good, thanks for the top-up” after a minute or two. So funny.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Eeyo posted:

Wtf your hospital had a pullout couch?

My wife gave birth in early 2022 in Japan, which still had strict COVID rules, so I dropped her off when the labor got nasty, and came rushing back about 30 minutes before the main event. I could stay there about two hours, holding the little nugget and making sure my wife was doing alright, and then I headed home and didn’t see them for five nights (nothing was wrong, but that is pretty standard here).

Oh and the birth was like 10 pm, so I got that endorphin rush and had to walk back after midnight. Fun.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm sure all the stumbling salarymen were very congratulatory as you walked by them.

Was on a public holiday after midnight so it was pretty quiet, trains end around then so not a ton of people out.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

apple is apple. plum is also apple. banana is apple. orange is orange.

lemon is also apple

In which language though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bolind posted:

You kid, but in French, potatoes are called pommes de terre, which is apples of the earth. In German/Dutch/Nordics, Orange (the fruit) is called appelsin, which means Chinese apple.

yeah I asked because I believe Gout has a bilingual situation like I do. my little one is speaking mostly her mother tongue but has picked up "No" and "bye bye" pretty well. She charms my dad with "Good morning" as well.

BadSamaritan posted:

Aside from my manager, nobody on my team has kids. We shut down for the week between Christmas and New Years, and it has been such a struggle to make my upcoming week sound even remotely interesting or fun, or even that I’m looking forward to it.

a year/two years ago my team at work was a manager with one toddler and another due, and another woman on my team in the same situation, and me trying with my wife (and then succeeding). After a re-shuffle earlier this year, my manager is a 40-ish bachelor, another team member is a 20-something single guy, and an almost-retirement-aged Japanese salaryman who I doubt did any childcare. going from a situation where we all supported one another on staggered maternity/paternity leave and also understood "oops little guy is sick today, I'm going to be available occasionally" to now others who absolutely Do Not Understand is kind of rough, especially since this has been our little one's rough patch of developing her immune system (thanks daycare).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Renegret posted:

Up until a few days ago I didn't even realize it was a competition. Little man just wants to watch some monster trucks do big jumps and I don't blame him.

That’s the question behind an entire-rear end New Yorker piece from last summer called “When Trucks Fly,” because even the most New Yorker-rear end person still has their jaw drop and giggles when they see the big trucks take flight.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Anyone else ever check their toddler's temperature only to find that she's fine and you yourself have a fever?

Ahh, the old Reversal of Fortune :smith:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

adnam posted:

We hung out with Canadian relatives. The dad was coming off his 4th month of paternity leave and was explaining to me as a USAian that they get a combined more than 15 months of leave between the father and mother, it was crazy.

Over in :japan: the missus got about 15 months off including pre-birth, and I’m lucky enough to have a job that both allowed me to take paternity leave and do 3 months or so of it to start. I don’t know how you function as an employee with even a 6-month-old, but the first three months? God.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

He then had a poop blowout on my wife lol owned

<DOOM shotgun noise from the diaper, somehow>

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Multilingual kids make that process even more fun!

My own Little Ms 2 fortunately doesn’t speak enough English yet for this to be a problem :v:

But we do have the fun of “asking for Anpanman and not sure if she wants her stuffed toy, to watch the TV show, or one of the YouTube videos with kids songs and those characters somebody made.” She’s also now saying “I want to watch that!” (koko ga ii in Japanese) with zero context as to what “that” refers to.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Renegret posted:

There's nothing worse in the world than when your baby smiles at you, and it's 2AM.

“I’m not locked in here with you, you’re locked in here with me” vibe

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Calexio posted:

Side note: Everyone keeps calling him by his middle name because they don't really understand how Western names work in that regard and it bugs me more than it maybe should. I interrupted a nurse earlier about it and I'm not one for interrupting usually.

This happens to me all the drat time at work because I had to put the full government in there for consistency’s sake.

Also if you’re in the wider Tokyo area and need help feel free to DM, I know how tough it is dealing here first-hand - I wasn’t allowed with my wife at all until 30 minutes before birth due to the COVID rules here, and then for only 2 hours after.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Calexio posted:

He seems perfectly fine though! So we'll just focus on that for now. Also, he seems to have done a mad amount of developing in the two days since he was last home. He's frequently trying to roll over now (not there just yet!) and is more clearly focusing on and following things that interest him, like the traditional Japanese mobile hanging above his crib that I swear he was reaching for this afternoon and definitely turned to follow as I gently moved it. :3:

Shout out as well to the magic little pink card we were given by city hall that means all of the things we had to do this week (ambulance ride, ER admittance and testing, visit to his pediatric clinic, referral to another hospital, three day admittance for observation and a raft of tests) were completely free. Absolute life-saver!

Glad the little guy is doing alright! And yeah, once they start tracking and reaching for things the real fun starts. It’s all fun and games until the baby gets grip strength.

I wasn’t allowed to visit at all after the birth, and that was in March 2022.

The insurance for kids in Japan is pretty amazing. We’ve only paid for vaccinations like the COVID ones, all other clinic visits and medicine have been covered 100% (which would be the case whether you have coverage from an employer or the public option). Publicly backed daycares are also very reasonable too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Little Ms 2 has been fighting a garden-variety daycare cough and cold the last couple weeks; the runny nose got worse on Friday, so we took her by the pediatric clinic on Saturday morning to check and see. Still just fighting the cold, re-up medicine*, call it good.

Have a family event Sunday. Sing along if you know the words: a cold extended to a fever on Sunday morning. I had to take her to the other clinic open Sundays, check and see if it’s an ear infection, and try to calm the fever down as well.

We’ve had a good run of not having daycare crap kick her toddler butt, not great timing for it to come back.

*over here there isn’t much in effective drugs for real little ones OTC, so even fever stuff you generally get on a script. At least the doctor and script both are free.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Best advice I can give new parents: At daycare naps, there is only the Daycare Plush which you got on your first day at daycare. It has your name on it, but it does not come home with you, ever. Well, maybe after you stop napping. The Home Plush goes with you on travel but by not taking it to daycare, you've eliminated 99% of all opportunities for losing it.

Our daycare doesn’t allow toys from home to be played with during the day, so my daughter’s now-well-loved Anpanman goes into her backpack (that also has her jacket and brings a clean change of clothes to/dirty clothes home) once we get there. There’s plenty of toys for them to play with.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

We’ve been going to Hawaii to visit my husband’s family since my daughter was 18 months. She’s 4 now. We just got back today from a trip there.

I think we're going to try and fly this year at least once in the 1.5-3 hour range to do a trial run of the airport stuff for taking the 2 year old transcontinental (I live in Japan, and family is now in both Europe and back home in the U.S., it's not just for jollies). I don't think I'll be able to wrangle even a week visit back to the U.S. where my wife stays here with the little one solo, so doing that as a family trip is it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KG3 got in to our first choice daycare!!!

Such a good feeling. I was convinced we wouldn’t get into a public one, I just laughed like an idiot when we got the response and it had one listed. Such a weight off for both of us.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Toddler has a chest cold, great, cool, get her some more medicine yesterday after daycare, fine.

but for the first time she's absolutely rejected taking any medicine, and it led to absolute nuclear meltdowns last night and this morning (by who? Yes!)

[edit] Update - separated the two medicines (one a cough syrup, one a powder) and the syrup was fine (as always). tried to hide the powder in a jelly mix that I picked up at the store on the way home, she didn't even want it in that form.

so the toddler indicates I should eat it instead. Ok, might as well give it a try...

ah.

think you have a point there, little one :hmmyes:

harperdc fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

Was it kanpo (traditional Chinese medicine, but JAPANESE〜), or was it normal medicine in a powder form?

Medicine in powder form, it’s not in a kanpo package. We’ve had powders before without problem (including antibiotics) but this one tastes awful and has her checking juice cups like she’s afraid of an assassination attempt.