Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
He would probably sleep better if he was getting tired out from doing activities during the day to be honest. My husband is a teacher and stayed at home with our daughter (20 months old now) all summer and they would do two activities outside of the house every day. Usually breakfast, park, lunch, nap, store/storytime/mall/park/playdate until I got home at 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
You both have been through a lot. In addition to PPD she may be suffering from PTSD as well. Dads can have both of these as well.

That sounds so frustrating, and I know too well that lack of sleep magnifies anything x10000000.

Twatty Seahag fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 23, 2012

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We have expanded into 2-3 stories at bedtime, and now that she's almost 2 we let her pick which ones.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Konomex posted:

Update and a new question. Her teeth haven't popped through yet, they're doing that up down thingy... but she seems fine with it for now.

She doesn't enjoy tummy time very much, she prefers to sit up. We can get her to lie on her tummy for maybe 5 minutes maximum. She'll either start crying or roll over onto her back. She's 14 weeks now. She hasn't liked lying on her tummy since she was born.

Mine hated it too, but if you wear her it counts for tummy time!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I had a Medela single manual that was so handy! I used it on a couple road trips, a field trip with 90 4th graders to the state Capitol, and when I was weaning. It was nice to not always have to hook up my PISA every time.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

iwik posted:

My little dude has been a drool monster for a couple of weeks, and for the last week or so started to get a bit fussy and try to shove his whole fist in his mouth and chew on it, so we're assuming teething is starting.

He's not 3 months yet though, so he lacks the dexterity to be able to hold and chew a thing himself, so what can we do? Just hold it so he can gum it up?

Also he has white areas on his gums in all 4 spots where his canines would eventually be. They're not raised lumps or small dots, they are about the diameter of a pea I suppose.. the gum is pink around them then a real pale cream/white colour. That wouldn't be those teeth starting to rear their heads would it?

My daughter had little calluses from nursing in that spot. We thought they were teeth for a few days because she was such a drool factory. She has a bib on in every picture from that time period!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
If he isn't sleeping well I'd get the ears checked too.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My daughter will be 2 in January. Today she found one of her old socks in the closet, handed it to me, and said "Here, for baby!" :cry:

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Cake is delicious. I think my kid ate one bite tops, though.

It's normal for kids to become pickier as they get older. At one, my daughter would try anything; at two I have to bribe her to even take a TASTE of most stuff. You have to look at their diet over the course of a week moreso than a day alone. Some days all I can get her to eat is noodles and goldfish crackers, but then there are days she'll eat steak and broccoli.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Mine would refuse water in a bottle, it had to be in a straw cup.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My daughter just turned 2 and I'd only just now consider a short flight or long drive. She can express her needs, sit reasonably quietly, can use a tablet, and responds to bribes.

The thought of flying with her at 18 months gives me the loving vapors.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We had a 2-year-old patient die because he was sitting on his mom's lap. They were just driving around the neighborhood and they rear-ended someone who stopped short. He flew through the front windshield of their car and the back windshield of the other car. No one else was injured but the child never even made it to the hospital.

You need to tell his wife or him that he is an absolute idiot for taking such a stupid risk, and if you see him doing it call 911.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Ariza posted:

If you're actually a functioning human, talk to him before you call the cops and hope to ruin a family. Do people seriously behave this way with friends? I wouldn't even do that with a neighbor I don't like. It may be a shock to some people, but even very recently car seats weren't really used. Within certain poor communities even today, they're not used more often than they are. It's an attitude people (including myself) are working to change, but it is a reality away from people who seek parenting advice.

Yes, and that is why Milwaukee has a higher infant/child death rate than some 3rd World countries. There is no excuse to not do something as basic as strapping your kid into a car seat. It's against the law not to do it. It's inexcusable behavior.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Ben Davis posted:

I was just going to post what Chickalicious did. Plop her in a carrier and she'll be exercising her neck and back and helping round out the back of her head! When I took my little guy to physical therapy for torticollis, the pt was thrilled that we had him in an ergo instead of a stroller for that reason.

edit to say that I didn't do loads of tummy time on the floor, but did a LOT of laying on mama time and ergo time, and it worked just fine.

We rarely did tummy time either. I had a colicky sad baby and I couldn't stand the crying.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I would not spank at all. What kind of behavior leads to the occasional spanking? I would work on sorting that out first, because spanking really isn't effective and also is kind of awful. I don't want to sound judgmental because I know discipline is very difficult (I have a 2-year-old), but I would really not spank.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

systran posted:

For those of you who have been parents for a while now, what do you feel is the biggest error you have made in your parenting career? It seems somewhat that parenting is mostly something that you just go with and that you can't really look back and critique, but what advice would you give to future parents based off an egregious error that you may have made? Is there anything you really wish you could just go back and do completely differently?

I wish we would have set better limits about food early on. Our daughter was very reluctant to move on to solids and really didn't show much interest in table food until 15 months. I was so ecstatic that I basically let her eat whatever she asked for. She's extremely picky so when we find something remotely healthy she likes, we end up making it every night for her instead of her eating with us. She's slowly getting better but very reluctant to try new things and often won't eat her lunch at daycare.

EDIT- Parenting Megathread: No Butt Stuff

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

My wife mentioned that bottle. I think we'll give that a shot, maybe make one tonight.

So did you not really start solids at all until 15 months? My wife wants to start giving our 8 month old the little yogurt ball snacks that are supposed to melt in their mouth, but I'm still worried about a choking hazard. And for feeding herself her baby food, I'm guessing I'm going to just have to give her the spoon, sit there, and get messy for a few weeks while she figures it out.

We started purees and some baby-led-weaning around 6 months; she would play but not really eat. We definitely did puffs, yogurt melts, and pieces of fruits/veggies at around 8 months. The general rule I always heard and followed was "under one, just for fun." Once she turned one, she would have bread, fruit, and small finger food at daycare but primarily wanted to nurse in the evening. 15 months is when she shifted from primarily nursing to pimarily solids. I really just followed her lead, that part I would do again.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Thanks for the book recommendation. I just ordered it. I'm going to download a good book to start reading to her at night, maybe a chapter a night. I've just got to figure out which book. Any suggestions?

Ramona Quimby books. :3

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Chickalicious posted:

My kid is 2.5 and has never gotten attached to any particular toy or blanket. Mostly because he uses me or my husband as comfort objects when he falls asleep, I think. We're there to cuddle, so that seems to be enough.

Same. She'll ask for certain blankets at bedtime but it rotates regularly.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My daughter ALWAYS gets diarrhea when she's cutting a tooth initially. She drools so much (even at 27 months old) and I think the increased saliva is what does it. I'm not sure about the vomiting though, I would definitely ask her ped.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I just lied to prying family members. My daughter was a horrible (as in, up at least 6 times a night) until 2. Suddenly something just clicked and now she sleeps all night in her own bed. From 6 months on we just coslept so she could nurse.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
The surgeon packed my socket with clove oil-soaked gauze when I had dry socket after wisdom tooth removal. DEFINITELY helped.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
The pouches are a big hit with our picky toddler, and a lot of them combine fruits and veggies. She calls them "squeezies." :3:

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
It's actually gotten easier as she gets older. I always used to do it after a bath so her nails were really soft. Now, I can bribe her and do so unashamedly. She watches me file and paint my nails so she gets excited to "do her nails." We have to keep them very short because she's really active outside and her greatest joy is digging in dirt/sand.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My 2.5 year old loves walking around the neighborhood, sidewalk chalk, and especially kicking around a mini soccer ball. We just walk around and I ask her to tell me about what she sees half the time.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

On another note, anyone know how to get kids to JUST GO TO loving BED when its time, and not have some long drawn out ordeal involving tears and yelling?

The only thing that works for my daughter is ignoring her stall tactics. We do the same routine every night, and if she tantrums she has a choice to read a story and sing 3 songs or to just go to bed. She has chosen just going to bed twice and did cry for a few minutes.

If we give in, she gets more and more hysterical. If we stick with the routine, she calms down quickly.

I think tired kids act extra hyper and are even more irrational than normal toddlers. Mine is 2.5 for reference, I don't think this would work with a kid younger than 2.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My husband's step mom said similar stuff to me, and we never go over there anymore. I cut her off when said she was going to get a wooden spoon with my daughter's name on it.

Mini Seahag is 2.5 and slept with us until she was 18 months old. She's awesome, smart, brave, and independent. We got a lot of flak for cosleeping but gently caress the haters.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We flipped at 2 because she figured out how to unclip part of the harness and it was easier to intervene.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We sidecarred the crib around 12 months. It was amazing.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Ariza posted:

Please do not bed share if you are not impoverished and you have no options.

:psyduck:
I'm not going to go into the whole thing again, but I worked in pediatrics at a hospital in a very impoverished area for a few years and all the cosleeping deaths we saw were people who couldn't afford/didn't know how to get a donated crib, lived in total unsafe shitholes because they had no choice, or had substance abuse problems which led to cosleeping under the influence.

We bedshared and I have posted about it multiple times. It was what worked best for our family.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I would push the bed against the wall and stay in the middle between the two kids.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Alterian posted:

Cause when you have a young baby, and you're moving, and you're working, and you're starving and the baby is crying and being fussy and you're stressed out and sometimes the only peace you get currently in your life is when you're on the toilet or the 5 minutes you have to eat your dinner, you don't want to eat chicken breast and steamed vegetables. You want something normal and tasty to enjoy in that sliver of time you have that just your own to enjoy for a brief moment.

Because none of us in the parenting thread have ever experienced any of these things. Jesus Christ.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Goddamn if it's causing that much turmoil and drama just use formula. I mean honestly.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We moved when my daughter was 18 months old and it was awesome. She'd been cosleeping so we told her our new apartment had a new big-girl room and transitioned her into a toddler bed.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We just use the actual names for body parts. It makes me cringe when I hear cutesy nicknames.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Try googling "food desert" you smuggos.

There are places in Metro Detroit where there isn't a grocery store other than a 7-11 for miles. And if you don't have a car...

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
We had a party this year for our 3-year-old. We invited 5 kids from her daycare class, I just slipped the invites in the parent mailboxes. It was in January and we had it at an indoor bounce place, and it was nice just to let them run rampant and forget about the lovely weather. She let her friends help her open her presents. :3

We didn't go nuts, we had veggies and dip, pretzels, juice and water, and cake. We made homemade play dough and put it in treat bags with cookie cutters and the play dough recipe.

Anyway, the point is that it was fun and cheap and I think it's important for kids to learn those social skills.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

momtartin posted:

My daughter is 15 months old and I have been only having her overnight at my place for about 6 weeks. I have been rocking her to sleep every night but I am trying to ween off that. Any good suggestions? Tonight I lasted an hour before I just went in and picked her up and rocked her to sleep. Her mom has no issues apparently but that's a different story.

If she's used to getting rocked, it's pretty hard to go cold turkey and she's a bit too young to understand. Is she waking up at night or just needing to be rocked at bedtime?

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My daycare extends holiday weekends, which drives me insane. One of us always has to use a vacation day. Between that and her getting sick, I have only taken one actual vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
5 months is still really young. I would recommend Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution. A combo of swaddling, easing my daughter off the breast when she was sleepy, and having her in a pack n play right next to our bed worked at that age. She still needed to nurse at night, so there wasn't much else to do except try to enjoy her first stretch of sleep, which was like 3-5 hours.