Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
We're going through some broken sleep torture right now with our 3.5 month old, but it's due to the little dude being congested. We've tried everything: saline and suction 4x/day, humidifier (didn't do jack), and running the shower on super hot and sitting in the bathroom (same). Even if there's nothing left to suck, it still sounds like something's obstructing his breathing. So it's either way up in his sinuses, or just dry inflammation. I've elevated his bassinette, we'll see how he sleeps tonight, but I'm not holding out much hope. Poor little guy is up every 90 minutes at night, and I flush his nose and hold him upright so he can fall back asleep. He's fine when I put him down and can sleep a bit, but as soon as he shifts, he wakes himself up with his snorts and starts wailing.

No fever, snot is yellow at worst, and only in the mornings, so unless this goes on for what, two weeks (?), I don't think the ped will tell us to do anything different.

Just tell me this will end goons, I'm a wreck.

At least I'll already be broken in once this passes and the 4 month regression rolls in :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Yeah, there's not much you can give to <6 month old babies.

femcastra posted:

Yeah we are going through the starting day care germ gauntlet too. Sick twice with two different things after one week (3 days) of care. Now I’ve got what she had and I can see why she was so miserable.

:same:
Starting to come down with his cold now. I've never thought to appreciate the skill of being able to breathe through my mouth, yet here we are.

This is our first rodeo, so looking forward to the new and exciting diseases we'll get from the roulette-o-misery. I hear foot and mouth is a fun one :thumbsup:

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

Due to scenarios involving contribution periods and bad predictions too boring to detail here, my wife and I find ourselves in the position of needing to spend $300 on FSA-eligible products within the next 48 hours. (And we need to spend another $1000 before the end of the year.) We're normally pretty healthy people but she's expecting our first kid in January so we figure this is a good time to stock up on baby supplies.

We've been browsing the FSA store and are aware of the big-ticket items like breast pumps and orthopedic support pillows, but what is some of the smaller miscellaneous medical equipment you found invaluable for a newborn, and what is just junk? I'm talking thermometers, nose cleaning enemas, rectal catheters to help with tummy gas, etc.

Keep in mind that insurance is required to cover breast pumps and supplies. However, they're not required to cover any particular pump, so check to see what's available.

Edit: N+1 for Nose Frida. Being able to see the mucus is a good thing imo. So I know there's something there and to keep on suckin'.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Cocks Cable posted:

Thanks for recommendation. I am liking this Baby Tracker app. UI feels streamlined and simple enough. Plus there are options to customize.

I have another recommendation ask. What are the best private photo sharing sites/options? I want to keep pictures of my child off social media as much as possible for privacy/security reasons but of course the family wants daily photo shares and maybe to contribute as well. Facebook and Instagram are a definite absolute no. And thus ends my meager knowledge of photo sharing. What is everyone using?

I just stuck to Glow Baby after using Glow Nurture for my pregnancy. It covers the basics, just don't wade into the community stuff or read the comments on the articles. Yeeeeeesh.

We use Tinybeans and I like it so far. It helps that I got the lifetime upgrade for free through some offer after I signed up for the Noobie box. The plus is that the grandparents can see his growth stats and stopped pestering me for them.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Formula shaming is hilarious. For context, we emigrated from bumfuck nowhere, Siberia. My mom lost her supply with both of us, but I was old enough to benefit from the Soviet "milk kitchens" that were available to mothers - free milk, yogurt, what have you, for babies. My brother, however, was too young, and was raised on what what available: a garbage powder that can only loosely be called formula, and goat's milk when we were at my grandma's. And even then, he's the smartest, most successful person in a family of accomplished doctors and PhDs. He's a goony goon, but that's not the formula's fault.

I'm happy that I'm still breastfeeding my large 5 mo son, but I have no illusions he'd be just loving fine if that were to change. The only thing keeping me going is my mom telling me I'd for sure stop by 3 months, and since so many of my life choices have been fueled by spite and contrariness, here we are.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

According to this: http://www.babywill.org/sids-information/what-is-sids/sids-statistics

SIDS risk goes down significantly by 6-7 months of age. I might feel comfortable adding a blanket around 8-9 months because my guy is already pretty good about pushing things away from his face he doesn't like. But I guess there's still the risk of getting tangled up if they roll a lot? Everything is terrifying, sleep sacks until he's 20!

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

life is killing me posted:

Anyone with any advice on a rash that has turned into open sores? His diaper sticks to it and makes it worse, almost seems like it rips his skin off. It's raw and hurts my kid when I change his diaper. Luckily, pee is sterile and so we don't always have to wipe him with a wet diaper and we add more desitin as needed instead of wiping off, but this isn't enough. He's had thrush for over a week and while the nystatin is helping in his mouth, he puts his hands in his mouth and they go straight to his junk when I'm changing his diaper. So, he has what looks to be a yeast infection that nystatin cream isn't working on at all, plus the open sores. He has a bowel movement each morning almost like clockwork, which does nothing to help the sores either.

In addition to nystatin and desitin, we've been adding vaseline to it for an extra barrier of protection against the germs from his poop hindering his healing, but we are pretty close to taking him to his pediatrician if the sores and yeast infection don't improve soon.

That sounds rough, poor guy. To clarify, you're using nystatin just in his mouth? I'd go get some from the ped for the rash as well. We battled satellite yeast infections (and oozing from his thigh roll crevices :gonk:) for almost a month, and only really got anywhere when we finally got a prescription cream. Vaseline, rinsing with water instead of wipes, and open air naked butt time as much as you can until then are the usual suggestions. Good luck.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

However, I'm thinking we might have exacerbated this 9 month sleep regression for our son and thus for ourselves. We used to offer him 4oz of formula at bedtime and he'd finish it usually and be satisfied. The past few nights he's been wanting at least 6oz of formula at bedtime, even just 30 minutes after eating oatmeal or a pouch, when he used to only take that much in the morning after sleeping all night. Last night, he took 8 loving ounces of formula after 4oz of Gerber food, which was a literal first--he's never taken that much at once before, even in a growth spurt. We sent four 4oz bottles to daycare with him for months, and there's always one full bottle left when we get him. So in short, we may have missed a cue or two that he was ready for more formula per meal and consequently underfeeding him at daycare and at bedtime. Today I made four 6oz bottles for him to have at daycare and I'll be interested to see how much of each bottle he ended up eating. So yeah...he may be waking up partially because he's loving starving and not getting as much as he needs before bedtime. Oops?

:hfive: We literally just did the exact same thing this week. When he started daycare at 12 weeks, bub always had trouble finishing even a 4 oz bottle, no matter how hungry he was, to the point where we/daycare always had to take a short break halfway through. He's almost 8 months and is still waking up 2-3 times a night, but I also noticed that he constantly seemed hungry in the evening, even after scarfing down the leftover daycare bottle, getting some solids, and then nursing for 15+ minutes. I mentioned this to daycare and they're like "LOL yeah he seems more hungry lately and downs bottles no problem." Thanks guys! So now we agreed to let him try to take 5 oz bottles and see how he does. So far, I've had leftover milk to freeze pretty consistently, so hopefully my supply can keep up.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Tinybeans might be close? There's "sponsored content" in an area you never have to check, and no multiple sharing groups aside from "has full access" (can also add photos) or not. You can toggle if a photo is for full access people only.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Cross post from the pregnancy thread, AAP urges recall of Fisher Price rock n plays.

I know the crowd here generally has older kiddies, but I think a couple of expectant parents have been popping in as well.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

nwin posted:

What's the next step up from a bouncer for our kid? He's 5 months old, 17 pounds, and maybe 25" tall and his legs are just starting to go over the end of the bouncer when we put him in it. Ours has a max weight of 20 pounds on it.

We like the bouncer because we can put him in it and clip him in and let him hang out there while we're in the kitchen making dinner, etc. Any ideas for something similar we can put him in while we're doing things and can't hold him? Who knows-maybe at 6 months or whenever he starts crawling he's not going to want to sit anywhere and we'll have to do something else-just trying to think of new alternatives we can put him in for when it's in the morning and I'm making breakfast but I'm up with him at the same time, etc.

We use the high chair with some of those suction-on toys for the tray if he's being cranky or anxious in the pack n play (even though we're like 10 feet away, you can see us dude).

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Any tricks for getting an older baby (10 months) to drink water? He won't take it out of a bottle, sippy cup, or even off a spoon. Just makes the yucky face and turns away. It's getting hot as balls, and he's been sick and not nursing well this week, so dehydration is a worry. His pee has been darker than usual, though he is still wetting ok I think? I have a strong aversion to giving juice, which now seems weird since I've been trying to get extra liquids in him via ripe strawberries/other fruits.

This also ties into getting him to take a cup/sippy cup. He doesn't even like high flow nipples, nevermind the rush from the soft transition sippy spout. I'm not keen on wasting pumped milk on this endeavor, ideally we'd be learning using water.

Help, my family is drying.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Sarah posted:

I think we are on the road to ear tubes. My 7 month old has bilateral ear infection. This is the second time. First time we caught it very early on and was only one ear when she was 4 months.

My husband had chronic ear infections as a child and had tubes in, so it doesn’t worry me. But ugh it’s hard to take care of a baby with an ear infection. I sucked out the biggest, nastiest, smelliest glob of mucus this morning. I know she felt better after that one. The worst part was the 24 hour fever. That bastard kept creeping back up every 5.5 hours, just as Motrin was wearing off. At least now she’s used to the antibiotics and takes them really well.

Edit: I’m really happy with the children’s urgent care here (we just moved and I was worried they wouldn’t be as good as the other). We went in after calling our pediatrician on Saturday and he listened to us and also felt like it was an ear infection even though the signs were not really there. Urgent care nurses didn’t think it was an ear infection but listened to our concerns and checked her ears. There’s so much relief in finding good child care, because I still can’t find a primary care doctor for myself that actually listens to me about me :confused:

Hell, :same: for all of that.

My 11 m.o has had 4 since last October, but luckily his don't come with a fever, just being a grump, face full of snot/postnasal drip, and sleeping like (extra) crap. They do come with simultaneous eye/sinus infections though, so he's been progressively stepped up to Augmentin (twice), then Rocephin injections (twice, once for an infection that lingered even after the Augmentin) since a) he hates hates hates the chalky oral solution and b) unbelievable diarrhea and subsequent yeast infections during the long oral Abx courses.

Going in today because I suspect we're about to get punch number 5 in his card which entitles us to a free ENT referral for tubes :sadpeanut:

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Well, we got our ENT referral evaluation scheduled for Monday.

I've got a pretty good handle on what to ask the surgeon and the procedure and whatnot. For those of you who have gone through the tubes process:

1) How quickly was the surgery scheduled? Obviously practices will differ, looking for a ballpark.
2) My reading suggests baby can go back to daycare the next day, is this in line with your experience? Or were they fussy/groggy/pissed enough to keep at home for an extra day?

I have some flexibility to work from home (and do, 2x a week), but I like to give my boss a heads up as early as possible when taking extra work from home days.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Good-Natured Filth posted:

We had ours scheduled 6 days after the consultation, but it was mostly because someone else had cancelled. Average where we went was 2 weeks out.

Our son's procedure was first thing in the morning (9AM) and took 15 minutes. There was a 2 hour recovery period to make sure he didn't have a reaction to medication. He was home and playing like normal by 1. He went to daycare the next day.

We were told by our daycare provider that there have been kids who come in to daycare straight from the hospital after surgery. It really is a super easy procedure with very little recovery needed (statistically).

Also, he has been markedly happier since the procedure, so we're very glad we did it.

That's good to hear, thanks!

It took the doc all of a single glance into the most recently infected ear to go "Yep, he needs help." Lots of thick fluid apparently, and he thinks it's been there for a long time. Hearing screen had no movement of the eardrum (see: fluid), so we had to sit in the weird acoustic room for the talky test and yep, minor hearing loss. Lucky for us, they reserve morning surgery slots for kids, and I guess they're not super busy, so Thursday's the big day!

It's funny how I've been on the sidelines for my husband's multiple, far more serious surgeries, and barely batted an eye, while this minor outpatient procedure is making me tear up randomly and eat my feelings something fierce. Babies, man.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Kids Everywear for Raleigh/Durham. Huuuge sale twice a year, but it's only really worth it if you volunteer a bunch of hours and get first pick at the stuff in good shape. We got all our large nursery items (changing table, rocker), the beginnings of our diaper stash, and tons of random items there.

Kohls is really good for stacking discounts, especially if you use the store card. A couple of times a year they'll have a baby sale and I'll stock up on clearance PJs and onesies for the upcoming sizes for dirt cheap.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Hey ya'll, gently caress molars. gently caress them so hard. Bub's got both lower 1st molars and canines coming in and goddamit I just finished night weaning him and was finally, finally starting to see longer stretches of sleep. Fuuuuuck.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Ben Nevis posted:

As discussed previously, the apparently best tasting tylenol is Target's dye free grape.

He's become a goddamn junkie for the dye-free children's Motrin (berry I think). Big ol' smile and a little dance when he sees that poo poo come out.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

hooah posted:

How can I make it easier to change the diapers of a 9-month-old who really doesn't like being on his back?

Like other said, give them something to hold. This was around when I started giving mine a sippy cup of water to play with since he had been reluctant to drink from one at meals. Gave him something new to look at/play with for a while and kept his hands out of his junk.

Edit:

Now at 14mo he hits and pushes us and rolls over ASAP to his tummy then sits up and grabs the first thing he sees and acts like nothing happened

Extremely :same: That plus the alligator death roll.

2DEG fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 15, 2019

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Renegret posted:

Once place my wife worked lost their license before she got hired because of something the previous director had done.

The short of it is that a young child was on the wrong playground meant for bigger kids, fell and hurt his arm. No report was filed, the parents weren't notified, they just threw some ice on it and went about their day while ignoring the kid's complaints. That night, the parents knew something was wrong, so they took him to the doctor where they found a spiral fracture. In childcare, a spiral fracture is indicative of abuse. So the parents contacted OCFS (the regulating body) who launched a full on investigation. An investigation that the director then refused to cooperate with, which just made her seem even more suspicious.

Eventually the truth came out and they found out he fell on the playground and no incident report was filed. The OCFS rep was pissed off and slammed the center with every punishment they could within their power. If they had just filed the incident report, they would've gotten a simple violation for the kid being on the wrong playground, and life would've went on.

The following week, a different parent found out that the director forged her signature on an incident report when her kid got a gash on her head. OCFS was called again, the building was shut down, the license was revoked, the director lost her job, and she was blackballed from ever working with children again.

The moral of this story is that if that director just told the truth the whole god drat thing could've been avoided. But instead of communicating what happened to parents, she tried to hide it. Accidents will happen, children will get hurt. All the care and supervision in the world can't prevent your child on tripping on nothing and cracking their head on a toy. Children are accident golems and will go out of their way to figure out the best way to hurt themselves. The important part is that you need to trust that director to take care of your child and respond in the correct way. It may make you upset that you got a call from the director saying your kid got cut and needs to be taken to the hospital for stitches, but just imagine if nothing was done, and you didn't find out until you showed up to pick up your kid?

Holy poo poo.

We got a goddamn incident report when one of the caregivers accidentally got some of my kids skin caught in a zipper (and to be fair, he is a chonk and those jumpsuits were getting tight). I don't think they even broke the skin, but we got the official paperwork and a report from the lady in charge of the infant room and everything.

We love our center and I'm dreading having to go through the search again when we move this fall.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

I dyed my hair green and my then-6 month old didn't give a poo poo.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Outbreak of Hand Foot and Mouth in the infant room; we're going on vacation Thursday. Pray for me goons.

(I went and picked him up as soon as I got the panicked phone call from my husband. Keeping him home to minimize exposure, and also because he's been visiting the toddler room he'll be moving to at the beginning of Sept and we don't want him to be a plague bearer.)

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

When you say breastfed, do you mean at the breast, or including bottles of expressed milk? I had high lipase milk, and there was a noticeable difference in poop smell/color/consistency when he was eating directly from the breast and when he was getting bottles. You can tell if it's high lipase if it develops a weird taste (or aftertaste) after a couple of days in the fridge or after freezing.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

BadSamaritan posted:

Ok why do we change the ding dang clocks? This is dumb and I have no idea if the baby thinks this nap is early bedtime but man was she hardcore melting down. Fml.

Hard same. I'm just going to put him down at the earlier time, deal with the early wakeup, and hope the structure at daycare sorts this out.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Question for bilingual households: my 16 mo son seems to be on the really slow end of language acquisition. We speak to him exclusively in Russian, but English between ourselves and daycare is in English. He only has a small handful of words right now. Stuff like uh oh, bye bye, some variant of no/nyet, and papa are all he really says consistently, with lots of pidgin/babble. The other day I started saying something to him in English and he seemed to perk up. I'm worried that maybe he's not developing words because he spends most of the day listening to English and doesn't hear enough Russian to really start acquiring it, or the two are confusing him. Daycare hasn't observed any more words than what I have. Should I try switching to English with him for a bit? Keep plugging away at the Russian? I'm wracked with anxiety that he's going to end up in EI when all we really needed was some consistency.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Right, some sources suggest that bilingual kids should be developing at the same pace, just splitting their vocab between the two languages. I guess it's just more feeling guilty that he might be delayed and it's All My Fault. He's been borderline on the Communication portion of the ASQ3 for the last 2 checkups, and now that it's really starting to focus on actual words, it's causing some anxiety.

Though not as much anxiety as having to do a long distance move with a toddler in a week, hey-o! Husband took three hours to sort and pack just his tools, haven't even touched the baby's room. We're doomed.

Edit: looking back, my question wasn't very specific. Mostly I'm curious to hear what kind of advice any bilingual families with a language delay got from their peds or therapists with regards to continuing the multiple languages. Just so we're prepared if it comes to that.

2DEG fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 17, 2019

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Yeah, we know a few multilingual families, but they're all older kids and nobody really remembers what their speech was like at this age. We'll see I guess! Funny aside, we moved to the US when I was 7 and my little brother was 6. I'm still fairly conversant, but he seems to have lost almost all Russian speaking ability. Language is wild.

We did a pretty good purge when we moved 3 years ago, so it's more a matter of him being the slowest packer in the world. Like, almost missed a flight because he thought he could pack the morning of and took forever agonizing over which long sleeve shirt to bring. I do all the packing now :colbert:

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

nwin posted:

Another update on my sons cold (going on 3 weeks and 2 days).

Called the nurse line yesterday to tell them the cough was still happening so they had us come in today.

The doctor ruled out RSV, whooping cough, Bronchiolitis, pneumonia. She said that he has a “borderline” ear infection and we can give him Amoxicillin if it doesn’t improve in two days or gets worse (fever, tugging at ear, etc). We then told her that the last two nights have been worse ( up multiple times during the night because of the cough and twice he vomited some food up) so she said we could begin the amoxicillin at our discretion and to let her know if shortness of breath occurs or it doesn’t get better at all in a week.

I’ve never had an ear infection since I was little, so I’m not sure what this borderline thing is-she mentioned she saw a little fluid in the ears. She was pretty wishy-washy on the whole thing so my wife and I figure we should just start the amoxicillin today because better yo be safe than sorry, especially with the last two nights getting a bit worse than it has been.

I really hate that my 1-year-old can’t tell me what’s wrong-it’s so frustrating to be in this position.

Probably means that along with a bit if fluid, the eardrum is only a bit swollen, if at all. The Abx is a tough call. It might get better on its own and god knows we're giving out too many of them already, but if it's like my son's case, it can get super bad and then lead to sinusitis and bacterial conjunctivitis (loving twice in two months, goddamn). While that's less likely if you've made it this long without ear infections, given the protracted cold, I'd make the same call as you and just head off the extra misery. Are you seeing yellow/green snot?

Be prepared for the poops if you don't get lucky. Some kids tolerate it well. Meanwhile, we gave everything under the sun in the hopes of preventing the diarrhea and nothing ever worked. Honestly, even more than the sleep disturbances, the prospect of having to wash diarrhea diapers was the worst part of the ear infections.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Day 5 or 6 of diarrhea, and last night and just now vomiting got in the mix. We're in the middle of our interstate move, moving truck came yesterday, husband left early this morning. I'm in an empty house with a sick toddler until my brother comes tomorrow. Cool. Cool cool cool.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

"It's just a phase" I mutter to myself at 4 am in the pitch darkness trying to take a piss as a clinging toddler digs his nails in a bit deeper. No daddy, no grandma, MOMMY ONLY FOREVER AND EVER.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

BonoMan posted:

That's a tough one. Our 5 month old's room had the Bronchitis and Hand, Foot & Mouth sign up yesterday.

Ooof, good luck to you. We luckily managed to dodge the HFM at our new daycare (we moved), so that makes us 0/2. But the toddler rooms have been wiped out, and they've been combining the survivors together for the last few days since so many kids are still out sick. Like, it's so creepy when I bring him in and the usual 8am crowd isn't there and he's literally the only kid. At least he gets one-on-one time with the caregiver since drop-offs have become so hard for him.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

in_cahoots posted:

How much time are other babies spending at home because they’re too sick for daycare? I’m in a nanny share and he’s been averaging 1 day a week since he started at 6 months (he’s 10 months now). In reality it’s more like 2 days every other week, which makes it really hard to rearrange work schedules. Is this just normal?

What's "too sick?" Like, keep them home just in case, or full on fever, vomiting, obvious communicable diseases daycares usually require you to keep home for? My kid was that age this time last year, and constantly had mild colds (runny nose mild, not hacking cough bad) and ear infections, but we'd only keep him home if he actually spiked a fever or 24 hours after starting antibiotics. That was once a month or so. If you're being more cautious, then every 2 weeks sounds about right.

It's also just crap luck that they start getting germ exposure via outside care at this vulnerable age at the height of cold season.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

nwin posted:

Wait a second...parent of a one year old-we don’t do daycare but my wife uses the child-watch when she goes to the Y, usually four days a week.

Are you saying my kid is going to on average have a fever and get sick once a month? Holy gently caress it seemed like he was just sick for a month straight recently. :rip:

And if you're really lucky, the disease fairy will bring you double bacterial conjunctivitis, where you have to gently unglue your kids eyelids apart when the lashes fill with dried snot.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

in_cahoots posted:

He rarely gets a fever, but he refuses to eat (today he had 6 oz between 9am and 3pm) and is just miserable unless he’s being held 24/7. Over the course of three months he’s lost a pound (18lb down to 17), gotten RSV (requiring 15 minutes with a nebulizer every 4 hours round the clock), an ear infection, and conjunctivitis. Our doctor says all this is normal but my mom swears I was never this sick. I never got chicken pox or flu as a kid and rarely missed a day of school so maybe she’s right.

He’s only had a fever maybe once or twice from all of this, normally we just get a call from the nanny or the nanny share family saying he’s miserable and can’t be soothed. If I bring him home he’ll just nurse and sleep on my boob all day. Keeping him at the nanny share just seems cruel but at the same time I do have a job.

Poor lamb :( Sounds like he's had a rough time. It's just the season for this stuff, there's really no easy way around it. Being there for him is definitely the right call, I just wish we didn't have to do the mental stick leave math every time in this hosed up system.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Our daycare is having a holiday party. They had a sign up sheet that included items such as cookies and doughnuts. I brought fruit. BUT! It's raining today, which means they won't get to go outside, so they're going to pump a bunch of toddlers full of sugar and ????? Tonight is going to be a nightmare.

Also, they brought in a Santa for photos yesterday and apparently my kid hates Santa. :woop:

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

I stand corrected :tipshat:

Still, boy needs his outside time bad.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Sous vide + instant pot has been a godsend. Being able to put dinner essentially on autopilot is amazing when you need to entertain a toddler who you can't take your eyes off for a minute to watch something on the stove. The sous vide especially so, since I used to have a 1.5 hour commute, so I'd just take meat out of the freezer and throw it in the water bath in the morning, then start the cook before leaving work.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

What are some good resources/advice for sleep training a ~14 month old? My wife and I have boxed ourselves into a corner by not establishing good sleeping habits with my kid and things are kind of coming to a head right now.

We tried crib sleeping when the kid first came home but around 3 or 4 months my wife decided that she wanted to do cosleeping, in part to make it easier to feed at night. So we've been doing that for most of the year with varying success - night sleeping got somewhat better but the he has a hard time napping at daycare. However, recently the kid has just been refusing to sleep through the night - he'll wake up every 90 minutes out so. This has made life much more stressful for everybody.

We've tried sleep training before, around 6 months but my wife found it too hard to deal with letting the baby cry for 5-10 minutes at a time so it didn't last. I feel like now we've reinforced a bunch of bad habits that are gonna be hard to deal with - he can't really soothe himself if he wakes up, he has a hard time sleeping without someone next to him, refuses to sleep in a crib at all, etc. Friends have told me that until he weans that there's not much we can do but I don't think another 2-3 months of this status quo is sustainable.

Yikes, there's a lot here. I'm sure you'll see lots of differing opinions, and there's no right answer except the one that works for you. So mine will be the hippy dippy gentle opinion, because I also couldn't deal with sleep training.

I read the No Cry Sleep Solution, and it pretty much amounted to "slowly step down your soothing methods and stay consistent." So there, saved you 10 bux or whatever it is.

For the refusing to sleep in a crib, have you considered side-carring the crib to your bed? That way, you can slowly increase the distance between mom and baby until he's mostly in the crib, then work on getting him ok with the crib rail up but still next to your bed, then moving the crib a few inches away, etc...

Since it sounds like he's slept longer stretches in the past, the 90 minute wakeups could be a sign of teething discomfort, a developmental thing, or illness, and I wouldn't freak out that you broke your kid's ability to sleep from this rough patch.

As for the weaning, extremely been there, and yeah that's what ultimately led to sleeping through the night. My son would sleep a 3-4 hour block, then wake every 2-3 hours until I night weaned him over two weeks at 12 months. He was waking up genuinely hungry, in the same way you'd be hungry if someone woke you up at 3am and fed you a sandwich every night. After a while, you'd wake up hungry for that sandwich on your own. I also thought I broke him, but once we gently weaned, it turned out he could sleep longer bits just fine. I'm not promising that your kid can too, just don't dispair. I can post more about the night weaning strategy we used if you guys think you might go in that direction.

Hang in there.

Edit: /\/\/\ This too. Bed sharing and night feeds aren't a problem unless it's no longer working for you/your wife.

2DEG fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 29, 2019

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Re: night weaning. This is going to sound super obvious, but for some reason seeing it spelled out helped me enormously. Decide how long your taper is going to be, make a plan, go slow, and be consistent and vigilant. It's important to wean gradually to avoid engorgement issues and so baby can redistribute calorie intake from night to day.

For the first couple of nights, just time how long it takes kiddo to fall asleep on the boob. Do a test unlatch at 10 or 15 min and see if they resist and try to get back on. I'll admit I used to fall asleep sometimes with baby latched, so keeping myself awake through every feed was a struggle some nights. This may be even harder if you do side lying nursing. Anyway, that's your starting point. Decide which feeds you want to drop. I'd recommend dropping the earliest first. There is very little sleep pressure in the early morning, so you'll have a far harder time resettling without nursing. Save that battle for last. You can do multiple feeds at once, or stagger them. Personally, staggering feeds was too much for my sleep deprived brain to deal with, so I just worked on all but the 4-5 am (and 6 am) feeds at once.

Now you start cutting that time back. You can do 1 minute/day, or do 2 min and do that for 2 nights, or however you want. Once you get to 5-10 minutes, you might start encountering some resistance when you unlatch. The one useful trick I got from the No Cry book was when you unlatch, press baby's chin up to close his mouth and hold it gently closed. It seemed to help settle him during this light resistance phase. Hold, rock, shush, do whatever it takes to get him to sleep without the boob. He might get pissed, and it's ok to give him the boob for a minute or two to help resettle him and try again. This is good practice for falling asleep without the boob, so try to make sure that happens.

When you're down to around 5 minutes, the really hard part starts. You can continue to decrease the time, or just drop the feed altogether. From here, I'm just going to tell you how it went for me, because beyond this you may have a different experience. I kept stepping down, and we got to the point where only 3-4 minutes of nursing would settle him enough that I could unlatch and quickly rock/shush him back to sleep without too much crying, but that was his absolute floor. As we got closer to 0 minutes, there was resistance, and a whole lot of crying. I rocked, shushed, bounced, sang, whatever I had to do to settle him and maintain my sanity without going back to nursing. I will say that I found the screaming far far easier to bear when I was actively trying to comfort him. Sometimes it was only for a couple of minutes, sometimes it was 10 that seemed like forever due to how riled up and seemingly inconsolable he was. Eventually though, I'd get him back to sleep. And after a few nights, when he woke up and started crying, as soon as I picked him up, he'd settle right back down and be out cold in 2 minutes. Then he stopped waking up until 2 am, then 4. We never did drop that last feed because by then he'd slept a solid 7-8 hour block and I no longer felt like a re-animated rear end zombie.

That last home stretch loving sucked, and admittedly I did give in once or twice and just let him nurse for a bit. But that made me feel even worse than his crying because I had committed to seeing this through and I knew that consistency was the key. BUT, if it's going really really badly, it's ok to stop and try at a different time, there's no point driving yourselves insane! We were lucky we got it done when we did, because after 2 weeks of good sleep, we got round 1 of molars + canines and wakings every 1-2 hours, and then again with the other set a month later. If we'd tried to wean then, it probably would have been a disaster.

I'm not sure if bedsharing will make this process easier or harder; the closeness of mom might be enough to help settle down, but on the other hand, the boob being right there but not available might piss him off.

One other important point. Night weaning will probably affect supply. Mine was apparently heavily dependent on those night feeds and completely tanked once the process was over. This finally gave me an excuse to stop pumping, so that was actually a plus. He was 12 months and 95th percentile by weight by then and eating 3 solid meals a day, so it's not like he needed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

BadSamaritan posted:

Online reviews/research for baby stuff is The Worst. I’m looking for a very sturdy lightweight/travel stroller to take on public transit for day outings and errands and at this point I’m just going to put the purchase off until my baby can just walk the whole day :negative:

Feel you. Was looking for a travel stroller for a (quasi-work) trip to Europe last year and agonizing over a bunch of options, but ended up just getting the Chicco mini bravo because it was on clearance at Target. My review is: haven't broken it yet.