Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Democratic Pirate posted:

So,

uh,

how does one go about getting a vasectomy

Texas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Ask/Tell › Parenting: If you turn the light off it's like you stop existing

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

My son feeds himself pretty well, but he's also learned how to say "uh oh!" when he "drops" something. And by "drop" I mean "purposefully holds his hand out at a 90 degree angle from his body and drops food, repeatedly, over and over again, forever."

Sometimes "uh oh" acts as a warning for something they're actively planning to 'accidentally' drop, which comes in handy.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Also did the Plex kid’s media thing because it seems like a perfect use case for it. I hate advertising and don’t allow it in my house, and using Plex also means it’s possible to know the kiddo is watching normal things and not whatever horrifying stuff that sneaks into YouTube for kids.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

My 2 year old cried and said “ow, momma, ow” when I had to give her eye drops tonight. It’s the first time she’s ever said that to me and basically I’m gonna jump off the roof because that was the worst feeling

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

jabby posted:

So my three-year-old is sick right now and the anxiety that comes from being a doctor parent is crippling me.

This is a dang old post, but I wanted to respond with a few thoughts in case they might be helpful. Years ago I was a critical care registered nurse before later changing careers, and for the most part I'd forgotten the horror-show memories that came along with hospital/nurse life--until I had a baby.

My daughter had to go to the NICU immediately after being born because her breathing was rapid and weak. I was having an absolute meltdown because I KNEW the ICU is where you go to die, and that's where she was going. Somehow the postpartum team found out I'd been a nurse, and had the actually-brilliant idea of having the attending doctor come and calm me down. He told me something I've never forgotten:

quote:

You're scared because your patients are adults, and adults don't do very well in a hospital. But kids get better--they bounce back. What's happening to your daughter isn't what you're used to seeing, so try not to see it the same way.

For whatever reason that's exactly what I needed to hear, and I still think of him saying that to me when my kiddo gets sick. Obviously nothing can fully remove this kind of fear, especially when we know too much and start thinking of all the horrible things that could be wrong, and ESPECIALLY on day 3 of vomiting and misery.

In any case I hope that's at least a little helpful.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

In my experience it helps to try and talk about it when things aren't so heated.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Combo posted:

I'd love some input on my son and what the hell to do about his attitude lately.

This sounds really rough. What does he say his feelings are when moments like that have happened?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

RCarr posted:

My wife is an absolute mess of guilt and anxiety because of this. She feels she is abandoning him when he needs her most, and that she may be emotionally scarring him by doing so.

Those feelings are about her, not the well-being of her baby. The right thing to do is whatever helps the baby get the sleep it needs to grow healthy and strong.

It’s harsh but it’s what I needed to hear with my own baby. No one ever tells you that “cry it out” refers to the parents, too. 😭

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Who the hell groomed my daughter to do the naruto run

In this house we do not acknowledge animes :colbert:

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

If you're actively worried about your kid turning out like Andrew Tate, chances are your kid won't turn out like Andrew Tate.

Worrying about something isn't the same thing as actually doing something about it, and considering that there are numerous forces actively trying to pull young men and boys into the alt-right/manbaby-rage pipeline, proactive prevention is probably a smart idea.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Parenting advice zealotry is people trying desperately to maintain an illusion of control over a terrifying high-stakes crapshoot.

...while a little human being shoots crap at you.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

oh good another piece of Amazon plastic trash I can look forward to entering my home in a year or so

my wife: "This house is so cluttered"
also my wife: "Can you run down and pick up the 7 Amazon packages from today, and drop off all the broken-down Amazon boxes from yesterday's delivery while you're at it?"

no inconvenience is so slight that somebody hasn't made an injection-molded "solution", shipped to your door for $8.99

I, too, get unreasonably annoyed at people making their lives as parents even a small bit easier or more reasonable. :thumbsup:

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

cailleask posted:

Signed, a person who traveled a lot including internationally with a 1 and 4 year old.

I'd like to subscribe to more tips about doing this. This summer we're going to have to fly overseas with a two year old for about a week. :mildpanic:

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

2DEG posted:

Email and voicemail from the elementary school saying three kids ingested THC gummies this morning. :waycool: New anxiety unlocked.

Hi.

What the gently caress?

Thanks.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sometimes I mess with the kids by firewalling off Disney+ when they've watched too much Bluey/Frozen.

Hadlock posted:

If it were me I'd intentionally put in the wrong WiFi password on the tablet and when the kid brings it to you "it's broken" act very concerned and try and fix it. In a couple of days give it to them with Disney+ installed and explain that the "red app broke it" and "the blue app fixed it"

I prefer to tell them that I am the god who controls the internet, and when it stops working I am the one who willed it so, and they should pray I do not break it further.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Chernobyl Princess posted:

On the subject of kids tv: the YouTube channel Little Bear Official has all the Little Bear cartoons with almost no commercials and no random links to other channels. Strongly recommend.

Little bear owns. I downloaded those a while back and put them on the Plex server. I think that show is actually giving my daughter an appreciation for classical music, lol.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Has anyone had a toddler that’s terrified of getting on a pedal-less bicycle?

My kiddo has never been afraid of anything but for some reason this thing terrifies her.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Thanks for advice on the bike, everyone. Gonna try all this out.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Tom Smykowski posted:

Sleep training first kid: oh my God, my poor sweet angel is in distress and I am the worst parent ever

Sleep training second kid: ya nice try, sucker. See you in the morning

When my daughter was born me and my partners had a ridiculously elaborate routine of back-rubbing patterns and a pacifier tasting service and "places in the house" that she liked to be gently bounced/rocked when she fussed at bedtime.

When we griped to the pediatrician about the lack of sleep everyone was getting, she asked us about our routine, and was so horrified she actually lit into us a little bit.

"Make sure she's fed, put her in her drat crib, close the door and walk away. She's fussing because she's overtired, and you're keeping her awake with all that nonsense."

Now days I tell her all the time she saved our lives. It seems so obvious in hindsight, and our kid has slept like a rockstar pretty much immediately after we started following that advice.

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 27, 2024

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

To cut down on accidental crying, do what I do and sing Appalachian murder ballads to your children. With adjusted lyrics to cut down on the creepy factor, of course.

This life hack was brought to you by Raising Arizona, a great movie that does, ironically, make me cry every time.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

hallo spacedog posted:

My husband used to sing No Surprises to our newborn because it sounds like a lullaby

This was my daughter’s favorite song when she was an infant, the most soothing song I ever found for her. I should start singing it to her now before bedtime, but speaking of sad songs 🥲

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Is it causing an actual problem? Kids generally stop on their own without outside pressure, though two years old is too young to expect that.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Renegret posted:

Anybody have any good resources on sleep training our first baby?

We hosed up our first kid real bad regarding sleep training. I don't want to repeat the same mistakes with #2 but I have no fuckin idea what I'm doing here. I really, really would prefer not to cry it out if it can be helped though.

I’m not going to say what anyone should or shouldn’t do, but in my experience cry it out is what works best—and avoiding that route at all costs can result in years of dreadful nighttime routine.

Some kids don’t need much training, some kids need more, but CIO (or extinction/ferber for more gentle variants) generally just works if the parents can tolerate it. Not everyone can and I get that.

My wife and I made a pact that we would run the household and any children we had wouldn’t. Of course this ended up being a huge LOL in practice, but I’ll be damned if we didn’t go hard on sleep training. As a result our kid is asleep every night from 7p to 7a and I think I’d pray for death if every night was World War 3.

Edit: here’s a good article on Ferber, which might be a good compromise for parents who want to avoid strictly crying it out. https://www.parents.com/baby/sleep/basics/the-ferber-method-explained/

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 1, 2024

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

lifg posted:

I don’t know that kids connect the problem of being tired with the solution of sleep.

They absolutely don't make that connection, and that's a major part of what makes parents give up on sleep training and go back to messing with their kid every single time they cry until everyone in the house is dying from exhaustion.

Imagine being exhausted but not understanding that sleep is what you need to do, and someone keeps coming into your room and picking you up and messing with your pants and trying to get you to eat and then carrying you around for awhile and then eventually putting you back in bed, and then after an hour coming in again to start the whole thing over.

Kids cry when they're tired because being tired is a kind of pain, but like you said they don't understand that the cure is to go to sleep. Our first pediatrician hammered this into my brain and basically told me to leave my baby the gently caress alone so she could get to sleep, because previously I was really struggling to feel okay doing that.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

I'm sorry to dump this here but I just need to get this out and try to feel less heavy.

My daughter and I are both home sick with covid, and today I left her in a diaper with a massive loose BM for almost four hours because I didn't smell anything even though we were playing together. I knew my nose was shot but it didn't occurr to me to check her regularly for this. Her bottom was red and she cried when I wiped her, and I had a meltdown and could not stop weeping. Right now I don't know what I hate more that I let that happen to her or that she saw me cry like this in front of her and not be able to hold it in. I haven't been sleeping because I can't breathe through my nose and I'm just so tired and when I saw her skin I could not maintain any more.

She's at this age where she understands that crying is sad and means something is wrong, but there's no way i can explain everything that's going on inside my head or be able to concentrate. Has anyone dealt with this and were your kids ok later on. I can't even write what she said to me and how sweet she was because it will start all over again.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Thank you for the kind words everyone. We took a nap on the couch together, and her bottom already looks mostly normal again. (I did slather on some butt paste right afterwards, maybe too much lol) Even just from sleeping briefly I feel much less like a disaster person.

We also just watched an episode of Little Bear where its Canadian writers apparently thought maracas were, in fact, an instrument originating from Morocco, all the characters dancing around to middle eastern rhythms while wearing giant sombreros. I needed the laugh.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

….w-worms??

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Eeyo posted:

Did any of your toddlers bite you? My 15 month old would do it occasionally but he’s really gone crazy with it today. Biting my wife several times tonight while they were playing.

He’s not talking yet so there’s not much we can do I guess.

My daughter did that for awhile and it was the worst; it even happened at daycare once.

Eventually I started making it a point to do an “ouch!” face when she did it, and saying it hurt and wasn’t nice. She stopped pretty shortly after.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

I think all babies make the same nighttime noises. No one tells you it's gonna sound like Jurassic fuckin' Park up in there, with all the snorting and grunting.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Is this anyone else's toddler at bedtime, or just mine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZTdqh-a0tU&t=112s

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

SpaceViking posted:

Our daughter has always been garbage at sleeping but it's gotten worse and we're being run ragged. She just turned 20 months, and has started this horrifying new habit of waking up about 11:30 to midnight and just being pissed off for about two hours straight. She doesn't want to be held, she doesn't want to be sung to, she doesn't even want to turn the lights on and run around. She wants to fling herself onto the nearest surface and scream angrily until she's tired enough to listen to music and finally go to bed. She's done this the past three nights in a row and I can see my wife get more deranged before my eyes. Anyone else had anything like this with their kids?

If interventions aren’t helping that means you’re keeping her awake. I know it’s hard for some parents but noise isolating headphones can be a lifesaver for things like this. Most kids go to sleep in a fairly reasonable amount of time when they’re left alone, same as adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Tom Smykowski posted:

One night: both kids sleep amazingly

Next night: certain doom