Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Slo-Tek posted:

Here is my sprouts. The older they get, the more clear it becomes that kid big is a clone of me with no genetic input from my wife, and kid little is all wife with no discernable me in there.

That's a Slo Tek smirk on Sprout II for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I have a question about car seats. My son is 22 lbs + and very tall for his age (10.5 months) and he's starting to get too long for his infant car seat which is good up to 30 lbs. It's the Chicco Cortina system. I'd like to get him a new one but they are all forward facing and everything I read says they should be rear facing until age 2. Can I get away with a front facing or am I going to have to buy an in-betweener car seat in the meantime? I'd rather not since I'd have to buy two, one for each car, but I'm not sure how safe a big car seat would be.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I have a very blonde 15mo who hates to wear his hat. Any suggestions on how I can keep him from burning? The hat has a Velcro strap but he just rips it off. We have several trips and activities planned for this summer and I can't just keep him inside. Any hat or sunblock recommendations?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Kitiara posted:

I don't know why everyone says that having a 2 year gap is the most ideal gap. I thought it would be, and I'm sure it is for the kids, but it's driving me insane. Having a newborn keeping you up ALL night and then waking up to a toddler who is ready to play and needs to be fed and changed when your husband is working 10+ hr days and your family lives in another country does not feel ideal at all.

With that said, what has been everyone's experience with using formula while breastfeeding? I was dead set against it, but like I said before I haven't been getting any sleep at all (I'm talking 2-3hrs at day) and it would be nice to have my husband feed her while I get some sleep every now and then. Plus my mom has been really pressuring me into doing so with all sorts of arguments (over and over and over, it's all she talks about, even after asking her to butt out) and I'm about to crack. I'm too sleep deprived, hormonal, and emotional to fight. Is it too bad to use formula for night feedings every now and then and continue to breast feed? I'm more than happy to stop it once she actually sleeps 4 hrs or so at night. I've tried expressing, but I can't even get 10ml in a 30 minute section and it's really frustrating =(

If she's healthy and it would allow you to get some much needed sleep then do it. When she grows up she's not going to come to you and say, "You know those few weeks after I was born and had formula, I really would have preferred breast milk."

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

sullat posted:

Quick question though, regarding birthdays; what's the etiquette as far as inviting other kids? He'll be 3, but we don't really know the other people at his daycare very well, and we don't really have any other kids his age to invite. Should we just roll with a family only party? Or try and track down some friends for him? The concept of birthday parties is certainly interesting to him, but I don't think he has any to compare them too, since, as I say, he hasn't gone to any other ones.

My son was just invited to a daycare friend's birthday party and he was turning three. The mom of the birthday boy sent a nice note along with the invite explaining who she was and how her son asked to invite my son specifically. They had it at a park and had a bouncy house so there were lots of things to do. The kids played very well together and there was no issue with presents. Mine doesn't have that long of an attention span yet so if he isn't getting presents he doesn't care.

The only issue was with an unsupervised older (6 or 7) cousin that decided to test out wrestling moves on my two year old in the bouncy house. It was the first time I've ever wanted to punch a kid... and parent.

My son just got invited to another party but I don't recognize the names (twins) so I'm less inclined to go.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

AlistairCookie posted:

New topic: I think I ask this here every year. What do I get my developmentally delayed niece for Christmas? Asking her parents isn't super helpful (because she'll be fine, catch up, she doesn't need a PECS board, nothing to see here, it's not relevant...) She's 5, non verbal, limited fine motor skills. She doesn't need clothes. ;) Last year I got her a couple sets of wooden, magnet, dress up dolls. I've gotten her picture books, puzzles, blocks, in the past.

I am a fan of "doing" gifts rather than things. Museum memberships, tickets for Disney on Ice, swim lessons, etc. Kids don't need more things, regardless of their abilities.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

momtartin posted:

They did a transition week last week apparently, but I wasn't there for that as it wasn't my custody time. I realize at this age there's not a lot we can do, but holy hell is it tough hearing her sobbing my name as I leave.

My son's school transitions for weeks, almost a month. He's the oldest, potty trained kid in his preppers class and they just started sending him up to preschool class. He won't be in there for full time until March after he turns three. Maybe ask to extend the transition time so she has more time to adjust?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I don't call my son by his full name but I figure he can decide when he's older what he prefers. (Samuel/Sammy/Sam)

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

When you have to go potty, stop, and go right away...

It's a favorite in our house because little man waits until the last second to go.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

hookerbot 5000 posted:

*By terrible I mean mainly climbing to dangerous places - especially the windowsill or over the stairgate.

I read this as Stargate and thought to myself "True. I wouldn't my child playing with our Stargate either."

Gravitee fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 3, 2015

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

My 4yo writes right but throws and bats left. We bought him a rightie mitt after he started writing with his right hand but he prefers throwing leftie and just today he wanted his mitt on his right. Gotta get him a new one!

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

In my experience, chain places have them (gas stations, restaurants) but non chains are hit and miss.

Although I was pleasantly surprised recently when a local micro brew place had one in their bathroom. (Bar only, no food.) Sometimes you have to take your two month old to get an afternoon beer, ya know?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

To me it sounds like the teacher is the issue, not your kid. A good teacher wouldn't get exasperated with a few kids who are spirited. Your daughter sounds normal but maybe move her to a program with a little less structure so that she can work up to a more traditional school setting.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

the_chavi posted:

I'm not a fan of drinking it, honestly.

Sorry, I meant advice for preparing mentally for the change, tips to make it easier on all of us, whatever. Sending milk with him to daycare isn't a problem, I have a big stash.

Have an app, game, or task that you look forward to doing while you're pumping. That way you can take your mind off the grind for a few minutes. Don't check work email or anything else that might raise your blood pressure. It'll be good to have a few minutes to yourself to do something of little consequence. I picked up the phone game Two Dots.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Miranda posted:

No one told me that being sick mum doesn't mean poo poo because baby doesn't care that Mum is sick!! Who takes care of Mum :(

Babies don't care if you're sick/hung over/stayed up late/had a bad day at work. It's one of the harshest realities of parenthood. My deepest sympathies and feel better soon!

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Both of my kids weren't great nappers, number 2 especially, but they slept well at night. I appreciate that your wife can't get anything done during the day, but a good night's sleep is priceless. They're still good night sleepers now, 5 and 1 year on, and I wouldn't change a thing. Letting chores slide sucks, but sleep is important to me and my well being. Either go like hell after the kid goes to bed or just live with a messy house/garden/teepee.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I was skeptical of the seahorse for a long time until I started putting the seahorse right up to my son's ear when he got over stimulated/overtired and it just turned him off like a switch. It was just enough of a distraction to reboot his circuits and allow him to sleep on some rough nights.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

We have the boat and sub and both float well. They hold up fabulously and don't get all moldy.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

This 100%. I barely had to potty train my older one because he saw the other kids doing it and wanted to be like them.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

butros posted:

I'm trying to focus on a lot of these points when thinking about it.

The part I feel most stressed about is the lack of direct interaction that I or my wife will have with her when she's in daycare - assuming dropping the baby off at a daycare around 8AM and picking up around 5-6PM and a bedtime of 7-7:30PM, that's super limited interaction on a daily basis outside of the weekends.

While I do get that yes, it's inevitable when they go to school, it's hard to think about having only a few hours of interaction time per day when they are at such a young impressionable age. I am having a hard time with the idea that even with all the good stuff listed above that such a quick separation from constant interaction at such a young age is ok for her.

It's a valid feeling and something that is always hard when you aren't with your kids, whatever the age. When they are super young, they're sleeping a lot and boring lumps so I don't feel that I missed much. Once they start moving around, you'll miss stuff but I greatly appreciate having a resource close by that is giving my children social and educational growth. I don't have family close and I'm not a trained in children's development so this is the next best thing.

My daycare also sends me tons of pictures throughout the day and I can check in on the video feed at any time to see what they're up to. When you see them having fun, it alleviates some of that day care guilt.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Before and after school care is over 60% less than full time day care. When my eldest went to full time kindergarten it was like getting a raise.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

It could also be that these people get their kids into expensive activities like hockey, dance, or travel sports. That poo poo gets expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Mine are four years apart and play together regularly. They're both boys so they "wrestle", play blocks, and build forts together. I'm sure once they're older it'll change, but at six and two, it works well.

Daycare was a major reason why they're spaced apart but having two in diapers with erratic sleep sounds awful.