Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Ooh, tummy time. My little guy is just shy of 3 months, he can do a few minutes before he gets too tired/upset and starts crying and/or flops his head down on the mat. He's not doing bad at tracking objects, in particular he seems to like following himself the play mirror. I can get him to track that across his body. Sometimes he seems frustrated that he's unable to move himself around, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

citybeatnik posted:

Gonna just poll folks here in this thread... "First full week of school"?

1) Does that denote anything different to you than "first week of school" and
2) can said first full week of school start on a tuesday if monday is a holiday?

Curious to see how many people end up agreeing with Horse Humper and his attorney from hell.

Well, as to 1, if it didn't denote anything different, then the word "full" would be meaningless, wouldn't it?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

citybeatnik posted:

Our son discovered Baby Shark's Big Show on Prime. And demands to watch it all. The. Time.

God help us.

We had a night nurse for a short period when our son was born, and when she was helping us set up a bath time routine she suggested we pick some fun bath time music to help make it an enjoyable part of our daily schedule. She specifically forbid Baby Shark.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
On sleep training, we're getting off pretty easy right now, our 4-month-old typically only wakes up once during the night when he gets hungry. But we are still working towards putting him down drowsy but awake, he still likes to fall asleep in our arms before being put down. We just got the Ferber book, so we'll be reading that soon to see whether or not we think we can give it a go.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My son started day care at the beginning of the month and, while I can't say I wasn't warned about the extremely high percentage of sick days to expect, it's a totally different thing living through it. He's been out about half the time so far, first with a stomach bug that knocked him out for a day and a half (and got me too), and this entire past week with what seems like a bad cold (thankfully tested negative for all the big stuff going around, but has a runny nose, irritable, and previously a fever). I avoided the cold, but my wife got hit bad. The good news is he's really enjoying day care when he's healthy, and I know this is just part of him getting out in the world, but it's grueling on everybody.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
First case of pink eye. :toot:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So kids can pretty much sense when you have a day off and make sure to develop enough symptoms to keep them out of day care, huh.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

2DEG posted:

Desondent 4 yo informed me on the drive back that he wasn't allowed to distribute the valentines goody bags he and I spent an evening putting together. There better be an amazing reason because I'm about ready to cut a bitch.

What the hell? I am vicariously outraged!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Crescent Wrench posted:

So kids can pretty much sense when you have a day off and make sure to develop enough symptoms to keep them out of day care, huh.

But the future refused to change.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

lobster shirt posted:

i would like to give a big shoutout to my son for getting sick AFTER a us federal holiday, rather than, on one.

No one likes a braggart.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I was a duplo/Lego household growing up. I think I had starter sets of Lincoln logs and ... Pinwheels? Round wooden circles with 8 holes

Maybe Tinker Toys?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

His Divine Shadow posted:

This morning around 7:30 a kid starts screaming full blast from the kitchen. I run there and there's nobody there? Both kids who where asleep wake up too. Screaming returns, it's a phone...

One of the kids had recorded themselves screaming into the phone and set it as a notification sound....

I love this.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

lobster shirt posted:

i don't think the baby will be able to escape

Amy escape room that accepts infants is just trying to pad its stats.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Little guy's been sick and sleeping in anyway so I think we might have gotten a freebie on not preparing for daylight saving time.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
How afraid should I be of HFM? The baby is 10 months old, and it's been going around daycare. He's showing no signs, but my wife wants to get coverage to keep him home this week to give it time to blow over. We have some good home care benefits, so that's not a problem, although I'm not keen on the disruption to my work schedule and him missing more time in the program. But if it's a trade-off to protect our health...

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to everyone for the scoop on HFM, I think this has given me sufficient ammo to pump the brakes on any drastic action just yet.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Welp we've all got Covid. At least we're all vaxxed.

Chrodyn posted:

We all got COVID over easter. 18month old twins are going to be cooped up inside the house for at least another week and a bit. My future is grim...

Checking in on the COVID club. (I guess the "C" usernames are at risk right now, huh...) I have it and my wife has it. The baby tested negative, although honestly it seems like it's most likely he brought it home with him and he's already over it. We had some cold-type symptoms over the weekend and into the start of the week, but nothing that stood out from the typical bugs the kid brings home. We also found out he had an ear infection during the week, so we were focused on that. We only did tests last night because my wife got pink eye and saw an article that said that can be involved with the current strains. So I guess the good news is health-wise it could have come and gone without us knowing it's COVID, we're all vaxxed and boosted and such so it was somewhat mild. But it's still frustrating, we're pretty careful. I guess it gets everyone eventually.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
These are a couple of interesting topics even though my son's a little young for most of it to apply directly (turning 1 in about a week and a half).

Re: schools, I have such a different perspective from my wife because of my background. I was a military brat, so I just went to whatever school was on base or in town. I had absolutely no clue about building up for college admissions or anything like that. My wife is from New York, so she was way more in tune with the competitive, cutthroat nature of getting your kid started off right as early as possible (to an extent that honestly sounded like it'd be too absurd for a parody when I was first hearing about it ). I don't know how I'll feel about it all when the time comes.

Re: screentime/technology, we definitely gave up on any pretense of any formal system fairly quickly, but all he watches is Sesame Street (although we're trying to get Bluey to catch on too). It's on as white noise sometimes, but not constantly. He's got a favorite episode that works like gangbusters, and he'll always perk up for the Letter of the Day song, but sometimes it's just relaxing to help him out. He doesn't usually have the attention span to actually sit and watch it, but it can be part of keeping things fun and putting him in a good mood. I absolutely do want him to have a working knowledge of basic technology, though. I've been hearing more and more about the kids these days being clueless outside of their heavily curated smartphone apps and poo poo, and it's just so wild to me.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

lobster shirt posted:

a friend of mine really likes talking about poop and i always tell him that he would love being a parent because it's such a major topic of conversation lol

Our little guy is transitioning over to solids enough that the texture of his poop is noticeably changing and we have discussions about this and that's my life now!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
While this topic is floating around, at what age have people felt comfortable leaving their kid with a non-friend/family babysitter?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure I was just treated to a 4:45 wake-up because my kid needed to scream and cry and be comforted because of... the hiccups?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dazerbeams posted:

Me, letting my son put a ball in my mouth so I can pop it out for his amusement. Belatedly I realize I’m going to have to do this over and over, feeling stupider each time while he cackles in delight.

His food, his pacifier, his toothbrush, his toys, his fingers--forget it, man. It's going in my mouth whether I like it or not.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
"Good morning, Crescent Wrench. Happy Father's Day! Breakfast is ready."

"Aww, thank you. How's the baby?"

*crashing sounds from living room*

*beat*

"He just wants you to know he's awake."

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Am I a bad parent if, upon smelling a dirty diaper at home, I give my toddler a few minutes with it just to make sure everything's cleared ?

Not at all. Our little guy has some semi-regular dirty diaper windows, so we know when to expect them and we give him a little extra time to percolate.

Unrelated question--when did people feel ready to pull the trigger on the first haircut? I love our 14-month-old's rock star hair, but I can't deny he would benefit from a trim. I just don't know if he'd sit still for it.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think we might be hitting our first real bout of separation anxiety. I guess he's always been a little needy in terms of always wanting our attention when we're actually at home together, but he's started crying a bit when we drop him off at daycare, which he didn't really do even when he started. And last night he decided he did NOT want to be left alone to go to sleep and ended up crashing at near 2 a.m. after tons of cuddles, Sesame Street, and playtime. (And we're all paying for that now. A late night for you is 8 p.m., buster.)

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The start of daycare was rough for us in terms of the little guy getting sick a LOT, but it was also a joy to watch how being around other kids boosted his development. It's like the older kids took him aside and went "OK, pal, here's how this crawling poo poo works."

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well, we're pulling the trigger on the little guy's first haircut on Saturday. We made it a bit over 15 months. I definitely don't mind keeping it long, but I'm pretty sure the day care is conducting psychological warfare on me by putting hair ties on him to get it out of his eyes. No son of mine is going to have a man bun! But perhaps we can clean it up but retain the general shape and length. It DOES get in his eyes a lot.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Kids just love to brush! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QMogM6TRIQ

I was never a Sesame Street kid, but I've settled on that being the one brand we're letting our baby get into. I play a Sesame Street album for him at bathtime, and it contains a lot of songs about toothbrushing that are all in my head now forever.

:same: to all of this, from Sesame Street being all we allow for TV at this age and having heard the bathtime album every night for months and months and months. This was actually my first favorite song, but I later really got into the reggae "do the rubber duck" song (lots of funny voices especially in the last verses) and the faux Beach Boys number (love those high notes).

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

"You need to be in your room for quiet time"

"I am in my room!"

I'm so sorry, your child has learned how to rules lawyer.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hallo spacedog posted:

Not feeling very confident about the next year and a half now thanks to this page

We just hit 16 months and I'm also taking a deep breath.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mind_Taker posted:

For those of you with kids in daycare: have any of you ever used a daycare teacher as a babysitter?

I've seen conflicting views on whether this is a good or bad idea. Good because they already know your kids and the parents already know the teacher/sitter. Bad because if for whatever reason there is a dispute (pay or otherwise) between parents and the teacher/sitter then it'd be really awkward at daycare going forward.

We're looking to find a good babysitter and have no idea where else to look to find someone we know is reliable.

A few pages back, but we've actually got our first adventure in hiring a sitter tonight as well. We're having one of the little guy's former daycare teachers do the sitting tonight. He aged out of the infant class already (he's 16 months now), and she's actually not with the daycare anymore, so hopefully none of the potentially bad issues really apply. Not that we anticipate them, the teacher is great. But we'll see, I'm sure it will be odd for him not having mom and dad at home for the bedtime routine, even if it's with a familiar face. If he goes down at the usual time and sleeps OK it will be pretty low maintenance... but that's a big if...

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My kid is still too young for candy (almost 1.5 years), but his still fit in his jack-o-lantern costume so we did take him out to a little Halloween block party to look at the costumes and he also had a Halloween party all day at day care. Plus I was really amused when we were watching It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and he went over to the edge of the playpen to watch it for a surprisingly long stretch of time. Something about the slow pace and jazz music must have intrigued him.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Emily Spinach posted:

I thought we'd avoided cocomelon, but the toddler was playing with the remote while the tv was on the YouTube kids app, found one of their videos on a channel I hadn't managed to block, and she recognized it by name and got upset when I tried to change it.

We had a similar experience. My wife put on Cocomelon in desperation when the little guy was sick for days and inconsolable, and as soon as he heard the opening music he lit up and got super excited. Come to find out he's heard the Cocomelon music at daycare.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

meanolmrcloud posted:

We’re also potty training this weekend. We (probably mistakenly) used an incentive where if she used the potty 5 times we’d go to the toy store and pick out something. She found a loophole about 35 minutes in, where she’d pee a frankly comically small amount into her potty, pull up her undies, do a victory lap, and then repeat this process. Qualifying the requirements did not seem to go smoothly, tho it really did get the potty party started as she was going all weekend after that.

Still no poop though, perhaps next weekend.

:golfclap:

As a lawyer myself, I am both excited for and terrified by the knowledge that my son, like all children, will eventually become a rules lawyer.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's partially to go "no way kid Santa isn't getting credit for your Playstation 6" but also there's a practical part of it since we make a lot more money than a lot of my family. Therefore it sidesteps "Santa gives more well off kids more presents" somewhat handily; Santa gives all kids roughly the same presents, you just received some fancier stuff from mom and dad on top of that.

My wife wants to take this approach when the time comes as well, and I think it's pretty sensible.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe I'm participating in a "gorgeous eyelashes languishing on my male face" derail, but my wife has complimented my eyelashes many times. But she thinks the little guy is going to grow to defeat me in this arena.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

killer crane posted:

I had a nightmare last night that one of my kids died. It's been a bad morning.

Ugh. Dreams of your kids in peril or suffering actual harm are the absolute loving worst. I wake up in such a state when it happens.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dazerbeams posted:

My 20 month old son was great about feeding himself until recently. Now everything is thrown onto the floor unless I put it directly into his mouth. He takes this as an opportunity to try and bite me.

My son feeds himself pretty well, but he's also learned how to say "uh oh!" when he "drops" something. And by "drop" I mean "purposefully holds his hand out at a 90 degree angle from his body and drops food, repeatedly, over and over again, forever."

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh that too. He loves his bedtime story and turning the pages. But he's also figured out that instead of closing the book at the end, he can just start turning the pages backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

space uncle posted:

I tried Desitin but ultimately had better luck with A&D Ointment, which is petroleum jelly + lanolin.

I was gifted the spatula but stayed a steadfast butt Toucher. I feel like my hands are already poopy or gross because of the diaper change, so why chicken out now? I just pat that stuff on and then go wash my hands.

We used Desitin, but likewise. You're already in the poo poo, rubbing some butt cream on doesn't move the needle at all. We've largely avoided diaper rash through a combination of dry diaper changes and using Desitin after poops and before bedtime.

P.S. Steadfast Butt Toucher is a username waiting to happen.