Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

pokeyman posted:

This is a bit humbling to admit, but if anyone's curious, this happens because I can't figure out exactly what string encoding the Forums use. It seems like everything I try is wrong. Our current strategy is to try like four different ones until something works.

I really don't like having something in the app that I don't understand, even if it appears to work, so we'll definitely revisit this at some point.

The site's encoding is definitely annoying, but like lucky says, it's "windows-1252". That's the only encoding that exactly matches up on weird characters like "–" (en-dash). Beyond that you just need to support HTML-escaped UTF8, which isn't too bad since webkit does it for ya.

Character encoding was a total pain in awful.apk, I feel your pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Followup question: what string encoding should we use for replies?

What we end up doing is a bit of a hack, but it seems to work pretty well. We unescape the HTML encoded characters into native java strings (which fully support UTF-8 internally).

That allows the user to see quoted text properly. The website reply window shows the escaped characters, (try replying to this post on your desktop). The app, however, shows the actual characters.

Then when they go to post, it'll convert anything outside the the ASCII range back into escaped characters. We use the Apache common-lang library and a regex to convert the characters. The common-lang handles the edge-case HTML excaping stuff (like > = & gt;, < - & lt;, ect), and the regex just replaces any characters with a codepoint in the UTF range with the HTML-escaped equivalent. The text you send back should be windows-1252 compliant, since anything outside the first 127 characters will end up HTML escaped.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

I'm probably going to steal that option for the android app. It makes total sense to disable the scroll-jump if you are only showing new posts.

Handling the initial scroll position is a total pain in the rear end, I don't have a proper way to avoid the scroll-back you get when images pop in. It's really weird that mobile webkit has this issue since Chrome's webkit fixed it a long time ago. Maybe the forums use some hack I'm not aware of.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

pokeyman posted:

gently caress me. Guess what was in my spam folder. I'm sorry I didn't respond, and thanks for following up.

I have the same setup: bunch of bookmarked threads, each with a handful of new replies. I'm not sure how to go about it. I can't stand having the bookmarks (/forums/favorites/settings) view always open. But that certainly doesn't rule out an option.

Do you like the bookmarks view open for any other reason? Or do you prefer it just for your bookmarks? I've been thinking about some kind of consolidated bookmarked threads view, so you can quickly go through all of your bookmarked threads' unread posts.

I don't like the permanent sidebar in landscape either, it's too easy to accidentally hit another thread while reading.

One way to handle the consoldated threads thing is the sort-by-unread option that SALR and the Android app has, where it sorts threads with zero new replies to the bottom of the list but otherwise leaves the order alone.

That way you get all the threads you care about at the top and it still preserves the relative order. It also means you can just start at the top, click a thread to see the new posts, then that thread will drop down in the list and you won't have to scroll.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

The Dave posted:

It's tough because some people have a wall of text with their avatar that could make the template look ridiculous if they post a short message.

A potential solution might be to count how much avatar text there is, and hide it if its over a certain length, and add a "..." that you tap to reveal it. ( possibly stolen from the Android app ).

The ... is the context hint that tapping the user bar will reveal the post menu + avatar text. For the newer tablet ui you tap the avatar to reveal the text.

Showing the text depending on length is kinda weird, dunno if it would work that well.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Put me in the "in-app browser > safari" camp as well.

In-app browser is definitely useful on iPhone, I don't really care either way on iPad due to the three-finger swipe.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Not our lucky day apparently, we're stuck in the slow queue. Sorry everyone.

I think the review team shut down for a week during xmas, they sent an email out about it a while ago. You're probably stuck at the end of a really long queue.

I wish we got some kind of advanced notice for this kind of change.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

pokeyman posted:

It's possible I did a bad job advocating for an expedited review. Not much else to do now but wait.

Don't blame Apple for the slow fix, blame me for writing lovely code.

Don't blame yourself; given how lovely the forum layout is, the code required to parse it almost has to be poo poo. As long as we get a stable API this won't be an issue again.

This app is crazy high-quality. Hell, most mobile dev companies would charge serious cash to make something this nice. Be proud!

I use this way more than the android app.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

obi_ant posted:

I immediately pulled my dick out and started slapping it on my cellphone.

It must be conveniently sized to make that post without any typos.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

There's probably a delay before all phones will see it.

Android apps don't show up for 30 minutes to 6 hours.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I don't understand how you guys are getting this to update - when I search for the app I see the application but nothing else. When I look in the App Store that last time it was updated was back in September and there's no update option.

I even re-installed - same problem.

Do you have an older device with iOS 4? The newer version requires iOS 5.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

Hey there is a new "It's Time To Rumble" thread tag. Thought I'd let you guys know before another update is submitted.

They can add new icons between updates now, it's a really clever workaround to the app store process. It's all hosted on their GitHub account and the app checks to see if there are new icons to use.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Does the iOS image view only show the first frame of the GIF like it does in Android? The images themselves are actually pretty small, around 3-10kb each. Some kind of grid view would work pretty well. It would be especially nice if you have a filter text input so you could start typing the emote and find the one you want.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

I'd love to have access to smilies and VBulletin script. Still, I can see Awful app slowing to a crawl no matter how you choose to display all the smilies.

Why does iOS suck at .gifs so much? .gif threads are just impossible to view after the 3rd or 4th post, and that's on an iPhone 5.

That's webkit slowing down due to the animation, if those gifs are shown as static images outside webkit they don't have any performance hit.

GIF threads on the other hand; good luck. Ain't no fix for that. I put a lot of blood and sweat into fixing that on awful.apk, and the current workaround isn't working out like I hoped.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

kloa posted:

Does anyone still have the frog icons, or can get the ones from the android app?

Why, exactly? I'm not a huge fan of it. It's just annoying that we can't use the standard grenade.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

pokeyman posted:

That sucks. I really don't do a great job uniquing threads. Forums usually work better but not today I guess. I'll take a look.

Is this just a coredata thing? It shouldn't be hard to make the forum/thread ID unique in a standard db.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

DNK posted:

While this is a niche case, I know I'd find it comforting if Awful checked an independent source to see if somethingawful.com is down (assuming your internet connection is working).

I don't know if there are easy API solutions for that. http://www.isitdownrightnow.com is a site I use for Steam occasionally.

Relying on an external site isn't a great idea, they tend to go down or make breaking changes. AFAIK There is actually code in the app to parse known error types, but the outage today used a weird generic template site. Hopefully this is just a weird case since it's the new forum coders first day, as long as they use the standard error messages it won't be an issue.

• Locked thread