Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

unpurposed posted:

Sorry, I used the built in awful app image upload and didn't know it would do that.

Well, the app is named Awful. :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I didn't know that, on iOS 5, a non-visible text view will THROW OUT ITS CONTENTS if it gets a memory warning. I don't know what the gently caress.

Anyway, fixed.

I had to live with that a lot on the old awful app on my iTouch (which had half the memory of the phones, which means it was always running out of memory).. switching to safari to google some info in the middle of typing a post, and come back to an empty text box. It also had a bad habit of deleting the text when it hit a connection timeout submitting the post. :downs:

I eventually learned to copy the contents to the paste buffer before switching apps so I could avoid having to retype everything.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is the awful code intended to be one of those "download and hit build and it just works" or does it require massaging?

Because I attempted just that with the latest xcode, and I get a pile of errors about retain cycles.

The plan was to poke at the code out of boredom, but objective C is pretty alien to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know if this is intended behavior or not, so I just decided to ask. :v:

When tapping entries on the bookmarks screen, that entry disappears from the list of threads. In some ways this is a really cool feature because if I'm catching up on a number of threads and reading from the top, threads with unread posts are always at the top of the screen. The downside is that the 'read' thread disappears completely. Sometimes I hit the 'back' button too quickly and want to go back to the thread I was just reading, but I have to reload the bookmarks screen to get the thread to show up again.

This isn't a new thing, it's been doing it since at least the post-Christmas update. I've been trying to decide if it's actually a problem or not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, text selection is super painful, but it's iOS' fault and not Awful's.

The long tap really needs a "select paragraph" option because dragging those two little blue dots around is really sketchy, especially if you have to do any scrolling.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The more I dig into the code for this app, the more I question my decision to ever bother mucking with ios programming.

Relying on javascript to manage the contents of a uiwebview is one of the goofiest things I've ever encountered. I don't have anything against javascript, and it's not the fault of Awful specifically (from what I can tell, pretty much anyone working with uiwebview does it the same way), it just seems hilariously broken to use a scripting language to process html when you've got a compiled language sitting right there that should be able to do it just fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eames posted:

Oh, I never realised that Awful relies on js for the rendering.
That would explain the very noticeable speedup I’m seeing after installing "Nitrous" (enables JIT compilation in every application, not just Safari) on my old iPad.

Yeah, I suppose it explains why people on older devices were complaining about sluggishness too.

It's not a bad way to do things, in concept. Let webkit do what it's good at, and let your app code do what it's good at. But it's ridiculously hard to debug javascript without a debug console. And developing anything in javascript typically requires lots and lots of looking at console logs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

myron cope posted:

I just tried to post again, it went through the "replying..." step and then was loading unread posts and mine didn't show up.

I've had that happen a couple times tonight in a normal web browser.. the forums might just be wonky tonight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

Can you make it so I can apply YOSPOS skins to the entire forums?

The app has a custom css option which I think you can access via itunes. Pull the yospos one out of the git repo and drop it in as the default.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you have "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" in the user control panel set to yes?

(not in the app, you have to access it via a web browser)

Because that feature will shade posts that have been read as blue.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But it does respect it. I just tested it myself.

Option off: white posts, all the time, for both app and browser. Option on: read posts are tinted blue on both app and browser.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

It's not respecting it for me. I'm on the latest beta though which has some under the hood changes that I think could've affected it. So I guess it's a bug in the beta.

I'm using a custom build from source too, but my git checkout is about a week old. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's the procedure for submitting code?

I just finished hacking in a font scale slider, because my eyes are poo poo and sometimes I like bigger text. I assume (hope?) other people might want this.

Caveat being, this is the first iOS coding I've ever really done, and there's no guarantees I did everything properly. For the most part I tried to follow the conventions in the existing code but that doesn't mean I didn't miss something. Plus I guess you might want to make sure I didn't sneak in some password sniffing code that sends everything to my own database.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cryptic Edge posted:

1.10.2-10 crashes on launch, every time. Going to try reinstall of it fresh. Currently app is dead on original ipad from update at least

Ok, yes. Reinstall fixed it, though it took a few launches to get the forums list.

Whatever changes went in today broke my awesome font scaling option too. :smith:

Though it's probably because I declared something wrong or whatever. I ran out of time to look into it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mine was a 7 digit number. :colbert:

I think I was logged into the service a total of 30 minutes over the course of 10 years. I never did get into that whole IM stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not to turn this into a "how to xcode" thread, but I'm curious about the basic structure of the app.

Is there a reason (for example) the settings screen was done programmatically, rather than with the storyboard or interface builder?

I understand a lot of developers have an innate distrust of "code generators" (with good reason) but a lot of xcode documentation out there treats the interface builder as the One True Way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Before long the options screen in Awful.app is going to be about as long as the options screen on the browser version. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

When am I gonna be able to use the YOSPOS skins with the whole site?

Right now, if you want. Pull the yospos css from the git (or whatever css file you want, you can even make your own!), and copy it to your device as default.css via iTunes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

I dunno what these words mean!! I just wanna use that OS 9 skin!!!

Download this file:

https://github.com/AwfulDevs/Awful/blob/master/Source/Theming/posts-view-219-macinyos.css

Plug your iDevice into iTunes, and in the apps tab go to the 'File Sharing' section and find the entry for Awful. When you click on it the box on the right will show two files.. an example css, and a readme. The readme has instructions, but if you're lazy, just rename the file you downloaded to posts-view.css and copy it to your device by pressing the 'Add' button in iTunes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, if you disable the "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" on the main website in your control panel/edit options page, the app will stop coloring them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If anyone finds a workable solution for long titles make sure to forward it to google because their youtube app is atrocious with video titles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can fake the blink using webkit animation css.. basically by setting it to loop the opacity between full and zero.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Obviously the time has come for tabbed forums browsing. :getin:

It's called "Safari". :v:

I really love the design concept of the app, though I have never used it on an iPad. It's absolutely perfect on a small device.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Niemat posted:

That being said, I am getting a bit of a delay (4-6 seconds) loading threads on my iPad 3 over wifi.

Maybe a javascript thing? I know javascript on an iPhone 5 blows pretty much every other iDevice out of the water.

Actually when it launched last fall, I think it was flat out the fastest mobile device on the market.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

xie posted:

If I could jailbreak 6.1.3 I'd do so, until then a lot of us are stuck on 5.1.1 or whatever :/

6.1 had a jailbreak, missed your chance. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

just a butt posted:

Speaking of scrolling to the top, any chance you could replace Scroll To End with Scroll To Top when you reach the bottom of the page?

Feature is already there, tap the status bar at the top of the screen. Every single iOS app does this too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iOS is a labyrinth of shortcuts, every few months someone blows my mind when another one gets posted in a thread.

Most recent one is the ability to slide the app icon on lock screen notifications to go directly to that app. This saves literally seconds of my life!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wouldn't be a problem if Apple would support their hardware a bit longer. I say you place the blame directly on them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My understanding is that capacitive touch screens don't need calibration.. the digitizer is extremely precise because it's got a perfect grid of tiny capacitors, and when one of them experiences a change in the electrical field it knows exactly where your finger is at. "Calibration" is only messed up when the capacitive layer is physically misaligned, which shouldn't be possible on any modern iOS device because the display and digitizer are glued together.

Fat fingers or a really dirty screen can confused it though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope sorry, I need that kind of accuracy if I'm going to have any success identifying who the best posters are.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just have the app switch to safari and load forums.somethingawful.com. :haw:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jivjov posted:

Blah, I don't find the new order "sane" at all. I wonder if it would be at all possible to make the order user-editable...

Down that road lies madness.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's actually awesome. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

forebodingburger posted:

My problem with the newly sensitive "..." menu is that (at least on a 5-series device) when you accidentally hit it in landscape mode it takes up the whole screen and you can't get rid of it without switching to portrait. Like so:

You can close it if you tap the blue bar.

I admit it doesn't look like you can do that, but it does work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I'm sure we could find a way to piss someone off, but I doubt it'd be over banner ads.

Implement IAP. :haw:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Talk to text works for me in Awful.

Well "works". Anything I say needs 5 minutes of repair before it's actually english.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I didn't bother with a "clear cache" button because everything goes in the Caches folder, which iOS clears out whenever your phone gets low on space. In theory you never need to worry about it.

Given how often people bitch about "other" space in the iphone thread, making them unable to install apps, I'm not sure iOS is as good about keeping tidy as the docs say it is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Be nice if they just manned up and did one of three things:

a) Declare Awful.app "official",
b) Make a mobile version of the website,
c) Implement an API to fetch forums via xml instead of forcing us to parse html.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

Actually, here's where Lowtax banned the iGoon guy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3354656&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11#post383671931 so looks like the hypothetical official forums app will be free.

Yeah, in 2010. That app ain't ever gonna show up. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

withak posted:

Until you start downloading app updates that say stuff about iOS7 then assume that nothing third-party will work.

They started popping up last week. Devs are being kind of coy about it though, is there still an NDA or something? They were all "compatibility updates for future iOS releases" or something like that.

Granted this was only about 5 apps out of a hundred or so, so there's a ways to go yet.

• Locked thread