Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Agree with scroll to bottom. Thought I was the only one who used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I had an idea at like 2 in the morning so maybe it's crazy. But how about a...wheel selector thing (I don't know what it's called) in the posting screen that has the bbcode? It could be like the jump to page thing, and come from a button where the [ ] / = : are now. It would be even cooler if it could have like three separate selectors, so you could put just the opening tag, just the closing tag, or both. I don't know if something like that is possible, or if it would be a usability nightmare or something. But even just one that has bold, italic, quote, strike though. I don't know. I don't like manually typing out bbcode.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The Dave posted:

Is that idea for iPad or both platforms? I just don't see it being that great on the phone.
Well the idea was for my phone so I guess both. Maybe the three selectors would only work on the iPad. I'd even take just one (that inserted both tags) on the phone though.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

TACD posted:

Is there any reason the text input area couldn't be a WYSIWYG field? Type in some text, select it and just have buttons for bold/italic/strikethrough like in a word processor. Can't be that hard to program (he said) ;)

Would still want to have the brackets as an option for less-used tags like code or whatever but it might be nice :)

I was thinking it is bothersome to try to select words (or especially sentences/paragraphs) and would crowd the popup menu, but anything is better than manually typing bbcode with a fake keyboard.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Post previews would be awesome. I always preview on the web and feel like I'm swinging in the wind when posting from Awful :ohdear:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I mean I know they have standards or whatever the hell, but I don't see how you can have any browser, including their precious Safari, if the standard is "you can see bad stuff on the internet"

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ads don't show up with no-ads. Awful respects your setting for member banners.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

priznat posted:

Cool, thanks guys. I think I'll do it because I keep getting distracted by sexily dressed girls that have no relation whatsoever to what they're selling. :stare:

Same reason I disabled them. I mean I guess they work because people keep buying them, but god drat.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Would there be a way to open an image in app in an "image browser" and any other link in Safari? Maybe that could be a compromise.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I thought pokeyman said the reason for not having/wanting the in app browser was that it was a pain to maintain?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm trying to quote a post in the political email forward thread. This post:

Zwabu posted:

I'm pretty sure the 47 percent number is people who don't pay federal income tax.

Using the 1.9 app (?). The post window comes up, but no text is in it. Actually, I can't quote anything in that thread (or at least on that page, 460. After testing it more, it's the whole thread). I don't know if this is supposed to be in an email instead of here.

I can't give any more details than that (I mean, if you ask for them I can, I just don't know any now!). Quoting works in other threads. I'm almost certain it's worked in that thread before too.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

pokeyman posted:

As far as I'm concerned, if we can talk in this thread about features in upcoming versions, we can talk about bugs in upcoming versions.

When you can't quote the post in the app, can you quote it in Safari?

Are there a couple of newlines in the post window, or is it completely blank?

Hm, now it works. It has gone to a new page, if that has anything to do with it. I didn't try it in Safari, but I'm almost certain no new lines showed up, just a blank post window. I also didn't try to post from it to see if there were any weird formatting bugs or anything. I guess I should have. If it happens again I'll do some more tests.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

pokeyman posted:

All I blocked is the forum itself from the list of forums. If you manage to get to threads in TCC or add it to your favorites, you'll see it.

Hopefully it can come back soon.
Did they give an answer to how seeing it in-app is any different from seeing it in their own browser? It's not like you're submitting an app called "pokeyman's drug tips" or whatever. I have never even been to TCC and don't even care you can't get to it in the app, it's just the principle of it.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The Dave posted:

I'm really excited about the next version going live, we have basically every thread tag done. The only ones missing are about ~5 from FYAD that are going to be a little tricky to complete because I don't know the source material.

I don't see this one: :colbert:

(from this WoW thread)

(I'm testing, but I guess I don't know if you're actually updating thread icons yet or just have the ability to)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The Dave posted:

Well we found out through the potions tag that I can't reliably spell things. Not shocking.
Just to be clear, since I read my post again and I sounded like a dick, I don't care about the potions thread tag and I appreciate your hard work. I was just joshin ya

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

pseudonordic posted:

On this page (page 13) of this thread, I can't get any posts to quote properly. I can go into any other thread in my bookmarks and quote all day long, but I can't quote anyone in this thread. It comes up blank.

I ran into it because I wanted to do this:

I'm not seeing an update in the App Store app or in iTunes.

Edit: Just appeared! Gonna test 1.8 quoting int his thread. :3:

That happened to me! With a different thread though. pokeyman asked me these questions:

quote:

When you can't quote the post in the app, can you quote it in Safari?

Are there a couple of newlines in the post window, or is it completely blank?
but I couldn't get an answer, because that particular thread moved to a new page and it fixed itself. I was on 1.9 so I think it's an ongoing thing. Maybe you can answer (hopefully this reply doesn't move this thread to a new page :ohdear:)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

That is in fact happening already. I got a potions tag in my app magically. I think it's in the next version to hit the app store, not the one currently up there.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

SybilVimes posted:

If you're logged in, and afaik you have to be with Awful, then why wouldn't you ?

Because Apple rejected the app because of TCC, so it was ostensibly removed from Awful (for now)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Scroll to bottom is definitely 100% already in, although I'm not sure if it's live now or if it will be when 1.9 hits.

E:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

That's (1.8.1) the version in the App Store, yeah. I don't know when 1.9 goes live, which apparently has the scroll to bottom thing in it. Sorry :(

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Killed by is in for 1.9. It shows killed by if you've read it, posted by if you haven't. No need for an option I don't think.

If you tap (like you're going to highlight for cut/paste or re-position the cursor), the context menu (I don't know what it's called in iOS) the comes up has shortcuts for inserting the tags (in 1.9 for sure, maybe in the one that's live I can't remember). I don't know if it's a great solution, but only because I don't use it much. Mostly I forget about it. Although I didn't use the other way much either. That was more because I was afraid of hitting the action buttons up there.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Logged out and logged in of the app and now all my bookmarks are gone.

Have you tried reloading/refreshing them (from in the app)? I always panic and think mine are lost too when that happens. Pull down to refresh

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Axiem posted:

My vote is for 2.0 to be largely a code-cleanup release. Get a lot of the groundwork and architecture there, so that adding all these cool new features is easier. Navigating a byzantine maze of code is not fun, especially if something breaks.

I vote for code cleanup to be 1.9.x because .0 releases should be fun and code cleanup is boring!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Weird you asked that, as I just yesterday put "awful://" in LCP (using awful 1.9) and it worked. I'll try the "awful://bookmarks" one though, that's my usual view (I think it opens this anyway?)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

1.9 bug report: when I tap to try to get to the "format" pop-up menu, it will only work if the view isn't scrolled down. Meaning if I have a bunch of words already written, tapping format will make the view scroll to the top for a second, then scroll back down and the format menu won't appear. It works fine as long as I'm not scrolled. Once the scrollbar has appeared (and I'm scrolled down! It will still work at the top of the reply box) it won't work. Fake edit: actually that doesn't seem to be the case 100% of the time, I just got the format menu while scrolled down. But most of the time it's the case

Feature request: multi-quote. Right now, I suppose it's possible through copy/paste to multi-quote. If I quote the first thing, copy the text, close the reply box, quote the next part, paste the last text in, I have multi-quote. It would be cool to have it in the menu, where above/below "quote" it says "multi-quote", then maybe turns the...selector thing (where you bring up the options) into a check mark or something? Or highlights it somehow? Then when you can hit "multi-quote" on another post, or hit "quote" to finish selecting things to quote. I don't know if I'm explaining it right, or if it's possible or feasible. Or even desired!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

I'd also like to see multiquote added, but I'm not sure about the UI for it. A simpler way to do it might be to save whatever you enter in the reply window until you go to a new thread. Then if you leave the reply screen and tap the quote button on another post have it append the new quote to the end of whatever you already typed.

This would certainly work and be a lot easier than the convoluted UI I suggested. In fact, wasn't that in before? Where closing the reply window with text in it saved? Maybe a "save draft" feature, where when you hit the cancel button with text entered you get a choice to save what you've had written? I feel almost certain that was in before...

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Awful is 84.4 MB, 70.2 MB of which is "Documents and Data". What is it saving? Will deleting it cause any issues? Can I just install it again from the TestFlight email?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I submitted feedback saying the pull to go to the next page distance was too far too (and was apparently way late in joining the conversation) BUT the arrows at the bottom left do the same thing (although if you're just refreshing I guess you still have to pull) so it's not that big of a deal to me. I understand why it's as long as it is though, especially with all the different sized devices there are now

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

Sorry, couldn't read this thread because I do my thread reading on my iPad :shobon:

What you have is, I believe, more than one crash. I ended up having it crash again when clicking an archived link in the CAD thread, so I just uninstalled clean and reinstalled. No issues yet so I assume it was some cache issue from upgrading? If I start running into it again I'll see what I can get to you.
(sorry I quoted this because I was too lazy to write words to get a scrollbar, this post has nothing to do with the quote)

Test it works

hooray

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Newest test version of awful has a way to view a users profile(/avatar)! And the browser is back too! Hooray!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I don't think it's an option, but you can send it to safari from the in app browser.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Testing an update now that seems to have fixed the app from the new look-induced ragnarok

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

There was an update like...an hour after the forums broke. Pokeyman is the man for real.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

In testing the new 1.9.2, everything seems to be working except logging out. I get a crash at logout, but then it stays logged out and lets me log in when I re-launch. I don't know how to use system console but I think this was the log:

quote:

2013-01-03 16:11:14 +0000 backboardd Application 'UIKitApplication:com.awfulapp.Awful[0xd270]' exited abnormally with signal 9: Killed: 9
2013-01-03 16:18:41 +0000 Awful *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[AwfulTabBarController setSelectedIndex:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x20033110'
*** First throw call stack:
(0x3b9462a3 0x3583597f 0x3b949e07 0x3b948531 0x3b89ff68 0x88eff 0x34b8ed45 0x34b1369f 0x34b13479 0x34a8dab3 0x34b028cf 0x38361bd9 0x39c384b7 0x39c3d1bd 0x3b919f3b 0x3b88cebd 0x3b88cd49 0x39c5a2eb 0x34acc2f9 0x8c647 0x87520)
2013-01-03 16:18:41 +0000 Awful -[AwfulTabBarController setSelectedIndex:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x20033110
2013-01-03 16:18:42 +0000 backboardd Application 'UIKitApplication:com.awfulapp.Awful[0x146]' exited abnormally with signal 6: Abort trap: 6

I don't even know if that's anything.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Does picture uploading work in 1.9.2? Let's see

I got the crash again logging out, so it wasn't a one time thing.

myron cope fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 3, 2013

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Tarq posted:

So for those of us testing, is there a preferred way of reporting bugs?

I think we can email back in the TestFlight emails, but I've just been reporting here.

pokeyman posted:

As far as I'm concerned, if we can talk in this thread about features in upcoming versions, we can talk about bugs in upcoming versions.

I don't know if there's a place on github where stuff is talked about though.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Edit: Bookmarks aren't showing up for me?

After a refresh? Pull down on the bookmarks screen. If you're still having a problem then...I don't know, it's a problem! But that fools me every time until I remember to refresh.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Same on iPhone. Although I didn't see a "Copy URL" there, don't know if it's contextual (somehow) or not.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Yeah this is testing now,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Fists Up posted:

I noticed the same thing where mine wouldnt update. I have the app with that icon but then I just went on the app store and got that one. Im guessing theres a difference and I have a super old version?

Yeah probably. OHIO was the original maintainer of the app (which is probably your old one), and he handed over maintenance to pokeyman. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't let you just hand over the same app to a new developer, so pokeyman had to submit his own version. That's why there are two versions out there with the same icon (although I think OHIO's version is not on the app store now, if it's on your phone you obviously can keep it)

• Locked thread