Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

dexter6 posted:

pokeyman - I sent you an email about this, but the release that lost the always persistent bookmarks view for iPad in landscape really upset me.

I liked having bookmarks visible at all times, it made it real easy to get caught up on a bunch of threads with only a couple of new posts each.

Any way we could get this back, at least as an option?

Same here. I only really browse the forums by bookmarks so the fact that the sidebar was always visible basically made Awful on the iPad the best way (even better than desktop) to browse the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

BrainDance posted:

Yeah that looks like normal hangul to me. I'm on 1.5.16.

Edit: theres a 1.9? The app store isnt showing me that.
There are two Awful apps in the store right now. The 1.5.16 one is the old app.

E: Also, I don't think that 1.9 is out yet. The current version is 1.7.something.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

It's 1.5.16, I think. I'm in the same camp, still using it as I like the two-column layout better.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

You can get some idea of the review times here.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

If nothing else, this glitch reveals how many people read the forums using only this app and never ever visit the site in a web browser.

It's no wonder, really. Awful 1.5 with the permanent bookmarks sidebar was definitely the best way to browse the forums for me. I generally only browse the forums with "real" computer, if I need to type a long post.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

The Dave posted:

Persistent sidebar is back in 1.10, coming in the near future.

Excellent news! I've still been using 1.5 (well, until the forums update broke it completely) simply because of that feature.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

The hard part would be finding a decent place for such a rarely used feature.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

iCloud is just a big clusterfuck. Yeah, it would be a hassle.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

There was a recent WebKit bug where it was explained that .gif animations are started when they enter the viewport, but never actually stopped after that. So when scrolling in large .gif threads you'll quickly have a lot of simultaneous gifs animating, even if they aren't visible.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I'm wondering, is it possible to register some urls to be opened in an external app? I mean, it would be cool if it was possible to open forum threads that I google in the Awful app instead of Safari. I think the YouTube app does something like this, but I haven't looked how they actually implemented it.

Edit: Probably not, now that I think of the security implications. Not without the site opting in.

Smol fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 11, 2013

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I don't have much insight, unfortunately. All I can think of is that downloading the updated stylesheet is failing for some reason, so the cached copy never gets overwritten. I think I'm doing the Etag/Last-Modified dance properly there, but maybe not? The hosted stylesheet looks correct.

Currently, the cached stylesheet does not get deleted when logging out. I think that was intentional because it's not user-specific data. (I'm the one who decided that, I just don't remember exactly why.) Same idea with the downloaded thread tags: no point deleting it between users, as it's application data. Unfortunately, that means there's no way to delete that cache short of uninstalling the app (or filling up your device, I guess).

Here's the code for the stylesheet downloader if anyone's curious.

No more than an hour, in theory. (I set it so frequently because it'll return a 304 almost all the time, so it's a tiny request/response.)

I don't know if you changed that recently, but the caching headers are correct now. If you didn't previously give clients explicit caching headers (Cache-control or Expires), they can use any heuristic they want to. Most browsers will cache it for a 10% of the interval between the download date and Last-Modified, like the spec suggests. If the CSS file wasn't updated for a while, that 10% might be a relatively long time.

Smol fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 18, 2014

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I have no connectivity problems at all, whether I'm using wifi or cellular.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I sometimes get stuck in the post editing screen. Cancel -> Delete Edit does nothing and the only way to proceed (even quitting the app from holding down the home key doesn't help) is to actually edit the post. Have only seen this on my iPhone 4S so far.

Edit: it happens on the iPad as well. Tried editing this post and now I need to add this edit to get out :v:

Smol fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 25, 2014

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

What the hell does the app even cache to reach a gigabyte of used space? Isn't the stuff in the cache ever invalidated?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Can I somehow turn off Handoff for Awful?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Not at the moment. May I ask why you'd like to do so?

I browse the forums almost exclusively on my iPhone and iPad, so it's just a chore to close the safari tab every time I go back to my computer.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Sometimes this happens on the iPad. I don't really know what triggers it, but it hasn't happened to me on the iPhone. Restarting the app fixes it.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

pokeyman posted:

:wtc: that's a new one to me. When it happens, is it immediately after you launch (or switch to) Awful? Or after rotating your device?

It happens while using the app normally. Rotating the device might be involved, but I'm not 100% sure.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Better start talking to Lowtax...

https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/14/apple-will-require-https-connections-for-ios-apps-by-the-end-of-2016/

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

zen death robot posted:

The forums already work over HTTPS so no big deal

Oh they do? I guess it's not the default then, since only the login form has been HTTPS for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Hey this works on a iPad Pro, right? I'm thinking of upgrading my old iPad Air, but don't want to do it unless I can use this excellent app on it!

• Locked thread