Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I'm not quite sure why or how, but I still see TCC in the new app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
This is a weird one, but following the link to Facebook in this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460168&pagenumber=347#post411346031
Opens the game/app Supersonic on my phone and not Facebook. I don't know if this would be an iOs error (fully up to date, AT&T on wifi) or what, but just found it interesting.

Jibo posted:

Yes. It's Obie and he's been on a special diet and exercise regimen for a few months now. I hear he's making progress.

ninja edit: He has a Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/BiggestLoserDoxieEdition

Edit: does it following the quote in this post as well.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

This App hasn't worked for me all week. Is there some sort of fix?

Are you sure you're using the one in the Op, provided by Nolan Waite on the App Store? It has an identical icon and name to the old version, which is no longer updated. Otherwise, what device are you on, what version of the is, and what is "not working?" Crashing when trying to start or only loading one page or...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Something I'd like and cannot figure a good way to implement design-wise. All too often, I accidentally hit a thread in my bookmarks list while reading in the middle of a page in another thread (it's usually when I have to change my reading position because the cat has gotten in the way of my viewing), in this occasion, a general back button or "oops" gesture would be nice...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Any way you can automatically make the app redirect waffleimages to 46.59.2.17?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

pokeyman posted:

That's not good. iPhone or iPad? iOS 5, 6, or 7? Does it happen on different threads or is it the same one every time?

I get this on iPad 4 OS7 as well. Have to mark one post as last read and reboot to fix.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Veinless posted:

Experienced a strange bug on my new iPad Mini 2 on iOS 7.0.3.

I was unable to scroll up or down in thread. I could not swipe across to open the thread list.

I was able to use buttons, such as jump to page and mark read to here. I was able to scroll up and down in the thread list. Switching threads made it all better.

This happens on my iPad 4 as well, but not my iPhone 5.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Terminal Entropy posted:

Well, at least your fitness log wasn't being posted to an abortion thread.

It is a way to lose weight.

But in all seriousness, and this is more a general 7 question (I think), why is there swipe to go back, but the opposite swipe doesn't go forward in most cases? By 'forward,' I basically mean reversing the swipe to go back, and not moving to uncharted territory. Could awful have both?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

ultramiraculous posted:

It's not available by default. The swipe to go back gesture you basically get "for free" because it's a built-in feature of the navigation controller. To swipe right-to-left, you'd have to do something custom, and keep track of pages the user backed out of yourself.

That's what I was concerned over--it seems intuitive that right-to-left would undo left-to-right, and I definitely find a number of sites in Safari being far too sensitive to the one way and wanting a quick fix for that.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Now that I've updated, I'm having the issue where I can't load beyond the first page of bookmarks again. Iphone 5, iOS 7.0.4 vanilla.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

pokeyman posted:

What happens when you try? Do you get the little spinner thing at all? Or does it just bounce back and do nothing?

It bounces back and does nothing. No spinner, nothing.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

xzzy posted:

I had an idea like that eons ago when I was tinkering with window managers for X11, I wanted an interface that would track mouse clicks. If the user clicked somewhere where nothing happened, then the next click actually did something, the element they clicked on would get bigger, supposedly making it easier to click. Stuff that didn't get used over a period of time would shrink or maybe even disappear into a sub-menu. I also wanted to experiment with moving buttons around in an attempt to increase the hit rate.

Unfortunately managing all that data was beyond me and I never got further than a proof of concept.

The Biggest problem here is that I often purposefully "click" areas that have no buttons--on desktop to switch windows without accidentally hitting something and on iPhone to adjust grip or whatnot. It's a neat idea, but it wouldn't be useful to me.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

xzzy posted:

And now you know why I gave up on it, once I discovered how much data I'd have to log and interpret the problem outgrew my ability to program it. Probably not the best place to debate it but I think an adaptive UI is going to become a thing someday in the future. Everyone uses their computing devices slightly differently, and instead of having a massive list of preferences the software should have some capacity to adjust automatically.

We got a hint of it with Windows 8, but unfortunately everyone hated it. :v:

You could make a pretty irritatingawesome game with the idea, poor implementation and all.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

zachol posted:

Bookmark titles definitely seem bigger.
Things look better, but I think the tab bar is a little silly, since the last three of messages, leper and settings probably aren't going to be commonly used by most people.
I mean it does look super nice.

I use all of those in the daily. Okay, maybe not settings, but the lepers colony is a great source of entertainment.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

This caused a full crash of the springboard, running current beta on a 6+, but doesn't seem to be occurring on subsequent attempts. This is the source post, here's a screenshot.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Fedule posted:

Lately I've been getting a thing where I'll open a thread and when Awful has finished loading it'll jump straight to the bottom of the page. What's up with that?

I'm getting that but only going ~5posts down from the first unread. It varies a bit from 2 to 8 posts depending upon unknown constraints--not img tags, happens w/text only posts as well.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I thought I was doing something wrong. It just isn't working for me.

Okay. That’s weird, I just tested it and it worked fine. I decided to take screenshots of each button press to show how it should look. Now, after choosing img instead of giving me from library from camera etc it gives me url img format and video. None of them do anything after selecting from the submenu.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Soricidus posted:

there seems to be something horribly wrong with the color scheme there

For real, what’s with the blue?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I haven't had text size issues. It's a great device that's ruined me on iPhone 5-sized devices forever.

This is how it looks at 60% not in ios9 yet.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

carry on then posted:

It's probably that gif causing Awful to get terminated by the system for using too much memory. I wonder if there's something we can do to prevent that.

e: that gif is 155MB :stare:

Require click-through on images beyond some size threshold that I would have no idea how to even go about calculating?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

We don't know the image size until we start to retrieve it. I've looked at doing stuff like this, but it requires really invasively inserting ourselves into the HTTP transaction chain.

I really don't know how this stuff works, so if this isn't helpful just let me know, but is there any way to locally detect what page was open during a crash? Or remotely detect it and in some way (I'm deliberately avoiding the word 'push' here) inform the app after a disproportionate amount of crashes occur on one page, enabling the user to click through some form of warning dialogue when attempting to load? The second wouldn't stop all crashes from the content, but it would limit them.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

GutBomb posted:

Just had a weird issue. I posted a reply to a thread, went back and edited that reply. Then I went to edit it again, but cancelled the edit. Someone then replied to my post so I went to quote him (and I'm sure I clicked on the right post). Instead of seeing his post quoted in the input box I saw the text of the post I'd edited a few minutes before. I selected it and deleted it, the wrote in my response to him. I submitted it and then discovered that it just edited my previous post instead of posting a new post.

TL;DR: I guess in this case quote=edit.

Also experiencing this, running awful beta and ios 11 though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

People only bring things up that they feel doesn't work. I'm sure a LOT of people get use out of it (myself included), they just don't feel it necessary to come into the thread and talk about something that is working as intended.

You may not be suggesting complete removal, but I just wanna say please don't remove it.

Could a button be added to distinguish the behaviors? Such as a save as draft vs delete draft?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The app never remembers my favorite smilies and I’m nearly certain it’s my fault somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Is it just me, or do I have to do a wipe and reinstall if I want to see ignored posts? I ignore some folks, but sometimes I want to see what they're shitposting.

The behavior right now is that if I choose to look at the hidden message link it gives me a random message from somewhere else in that thread.

I'm on iOS 11.0.2, but it's been like this since iOS 10 for me..

Quote the person you're ignoring

• Locked thread