Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When you follow a link to another SA comment, it seems to be missing a loading indicator of any kind, so it just freezes the device up if you're connection isn't great. Wasn't sure what was going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah, I think it's just when you click the source link in quotes and the target is on another page. Like go to page 86 in this thread, and click on Keska's username before the quote in your comment which is the first on the page. That hangs my iPhone 5 for five seconds or so.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A bit of multitasking weirdness. Seems to only happen if you switch to another app and then switch back.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 21, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

1997 posted:

If you're not aware, Awful will upload to imgur for you.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if a Retina size screenshot would screw things up, so I uploaded it manually then used the large thumbnail. I didn't really need the full resolution version which I assumed Awful would put in.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That was weird, Awful just forgot my login details out of nowhere.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Interesting, the current app came out Nov. 10, 2012, less than a year ago.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah but the space is still not available for putting your own media on.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yes just making the swipe-to-go-back gesture work would go 90% towards making it feel like an iOS 7 app.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Random thoughts:

* The datestamp and joined date stuff on every single post is excessive. If iOS 7 is "put content first", I think those could be dropped with no harm done. When there are lots of short posts, an awful lot of space is being taken up by chrome.

* The "..." dots are too heavy. Maybe they should be grey? The theme chooser icon is also too dark and distracting given where it is located. I can see why Apple used outlines now.

* The scrollable user popup feels like a bug. If the four icons don't fit on the screen, maybe it just needs to be redesigned.

I was planning on waiting out the update until all the issues got worked out, but... iOS 7 auto-updated for me. Oh well.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

jivjov posted:

Font size is now tied to the phone-level "Text Size" option (Settings -> General). So in order to adjust text size, you have to leave the app; not very good if you want to do it on the fly. Another case of the app losing inherent-functionality in the name of iOS 7 integration.

I think this was just a mistake on Apple's part, that they really didn't think through how to integrate this system setting with the many apps that are already providing per-app font size settings. They wanted to provide easy font sizing for apps that didn't have a setting, like if you can't see well and just want giant fonts, and it works well for that. But a lot of apps replaced their app-level setting with the system one, which doesn't work well if you want different information density in different apps.

Tweetbot made the same change, and added the app-level setting back in an update after the outcry.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Saw a weird issue this morning where it showed me the one unread comment in this thread on page 100 but then I couldn't pull to get to page 101. Maybe the page with only one comment wasn't long enough?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

dantheman650 posted:

Feature request: is it possible to disable auto-refresh on the bookmarks page? In the new version it's quite slow and I have to wait until it's done to click or it will refresh and take me to the wrong thread. Since there's pull to refresh, it doesn't seem necessary to auto-refresh every time I go to the bookmarks page.

Maybe it should just lock out inputs while it is refreshing? Because you want to give people a second to read the updates list after it refreshes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

So it is. I didn't even think to try that since sometimes all three options would show, and only "Copy URL" would show.

Thanks! Ignore my very stupid post above please and keep up the great work, pokeyman and co.!

I don't think it's that stupid, since I've never seen a swipe menu before. The standard iOS 7 action popup menu for this kind of thing looks like this:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

Those scrollable menus are pretty bad, and they're probably going to be changed, but they are based on a standard iOS 7 UI element.

Fair point. I hadn't realize Apple uses this too. Makes me think the Awful version would work better if it was always full width.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This thread icon seems messed up:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Brain Curry posted:

Are there any plans to disable input while the screen is refreshing? I was clicking on threads while the list was refreshing and the wrong thread would open when the list would finish updating. Now I stare at every forum or bookmark screen for a few seconds to see if it will redraw before i hit anything.

This, along with the lack of any easy way to access bookmarks from within a thread I got to from a forum and vice versa are the two biggest annoyances I run in to.

Same here. No indication that it is refreshing and not being locked out means I hit the wrong thread a lot. Maybe only a problem if you have slow internet?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

smackfu posted:

This thread icon seems messed up:

I finally remembered to check this on my computer, and I figured it out the cause, but I have no good solution. The problem is that the same auction gif (icon-46-trading.png) is used both as a thread icon (in SA-Mart and BFC) and and a post type (in SA-Mart). This works on the real forums since they are both the same size, but in the Awful app, they are different sizes. So it tries to use the 28x28 overlay as the 90x90 thread icon and it looks junky.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh App Store, never stop being buggy:

(It's telling me there is a brand new update to v2.0.2 from January, that I'm already running.)

smackfu fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 14, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That's a bug report for Apple.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have 2.0.4 on the iPhone, and the "sort unread bookmarks first" doesn't seem to be working. Unless I misunderstand the point.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

serebralassazin posted:

Update just hit the App Store (USA). One of the bullets on release notes is the sort by unread is fixed so there ya go.

Right, the updated version is 2.0.4 and that doesn't seem to be working for me in it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ohhhhh, it's a new option. From the release notes, I thought it was just a new behavior.

It does work after I turn it on. Good job!

smackfu fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 5, 2014

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you scroll the screen, and it is still moving, then tap to stop it, and your tap happens to be on a username, it pops up the user's info. I'm doing it a lot by accident. Did this change recently?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The soccer ball next to the grenade does not look great. I'm not even sure what the soccer ball is supposed to be for, to be honest.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

The clipboard thing will do, thanks, had no idea about it. That seems like something Apple should allow to me, and now that there are custom keyboards on iOS is the only thing that I think Android still has over iOS.

I think they do support it but it requires the website owner to add support and we aren't the website owners.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On the iPhone 6, the black levels on the screen are so good that you can barely see the screen edge on the curved sides if the background is straight black. Maybe worth trying a dark mode with black post backgrounds?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This Github Repository has diffs of the app policy:
https://github.com/jaredsinclair/AppStoreReviewGuidelines/commit/46ed21b844473343680282b40800304e28381e5f?diff=split

Might want to watch out for this other new one too:

quote:

14.3 Apps that display user generated content must include a method for filtering objectionable material, a mechanism for users to flag offensive content, and the ability to block abusive users from the service.

Maybe exposing Ignore List and Report functionality would address that?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I ran into that issue again where I couldn't get out of an edit without actually submitting it.

What really surprised me is that this time a force quit AND a phone reboot didn't help. It still came back to the edit screen. I had to submit the edit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I sure do tend to long tap on the "..." button for some reason. Is there a reason that selects the row?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I sure do tend to long tap on the "..." button for some reason. Is there a reason that selects the row?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There is a bug in that the text escapes the cell it's in, so you can scroll to the right on that page.

Probably not fixable though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you tap on a photo to see it full size, and then zoom in, and then try to pan down, this dismisses that screen. Is that intentional?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

"Flick down to dismiss" is intentional, but it's not tuned quite right it seems.

Yeah, I think the usual behavior on iOS is that once you zoom in, gestures just move you around the zoomed in photo. If you zoom back out to 100%, then gestures work normally again.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone else seen the glitch where voting score icons randomly appear/disappear after you refresh your bookmark list? iPhone 6.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My one quibble with the app is when you tap on a bookmark and it seems to move the screen for a tiny moment before the bookmark loads. It just feels kind of jitttery.

Maybe it's reloading the page or something?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If I try to post in this thread, it says "network error: preview not found" or something similar when I hit Preview.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639990&perpage=40&pagenumber=12

Edit: OK, now that I have looked at it in a real browser, that post is archived, but is also still in my bookmarks list. I guess the app is not properly detecting archive posts to disable the Post button.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 2, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Safari View Controller is kind of bumming me out. I don't really like how the done button is at the top right and hides once you scroll. You can't swipe to go back. Plus every YouTube link has a prompt to open the YouTube app which the old page didn't. And apparently devs don't have any control over this stuff, so it's going to be bad in every app. Thanks Apple.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This one. I get it every time I follow a YouTube link. If I pick Open to go to the YouTube app, I don't get a "go back to Awful" link or anything, and when I switch back to Awful, it's showing a blank Safari screen.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone seen a case where the refresh spinner on the bookmarks page doesn't show? Just a black bar instead. We had a crummy wi-fi connection at a hotel, and it seemed to happen often then, but I can't reproduce it on a proper connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is it possible to not have the play button on emoji sized animated gifs?

For instance: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3691807&perpage=40&pagenumber=367#post453050945

• Locked thread