Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Serious eats recommends http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JKG9M/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Honestly a cheap rice cooker is your best bet.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That dude was getting ready for shaping so initial kneading would have already been complete. By the volume I'd assume that he used some type of mixer to kneed, rather than by hand. You mentioned 6x hydration giving you issue, which really shouldn't with even a little bit of flour on your hand (although he was dipping in water?) I'm guessing you are not working with the dough enough before you can assume you can handle it without sticking. He was also just folding the dough which can be done with a lightish touch. I used to always have my pizza doughs stick but now I just throw on the mixer walk away to make a drink or something, I have had no issues since.

By hand I'm not sure, I really hate kneading by hand. The above post will work, but you may also just need to keep working and working it until you have similar results. After kneading try to only work with your fingertips.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 23, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

It's true. No-knead is literally the best, most satisfying bread I've ever eaten. Especially with Kalamata olives baked in.
Is there a certain hydration you don't want to pass when adding fillers to a no-kneed? I see references to 50%, but I like a hell of a lot more water than that.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I decided not to think about it much as well. 100g olives, 100g feta, roughly 65-70% hydration with 550g bread flour. Shall see how it goes.

Does anyone mill/sift their own flour?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

To do a sour you'll need to do a levain and you will have to combine that, necessitating some mixing. Without the levain (created from a starter) you won't have the flavor of a sour as there won't be a foundation of the various acids that are created as a byproduct of fermentation.

Given that, a no kneed with a Dutch oven is easy peezy. Serious eats has a bread 101 article and the baking method will be your resource regarding the day of the cook.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Or maybe if you do room temp for half a day, then do a bench rest in the fridge for a couple days it'll be comparable. I have yet to try that, but my pizza dough after 5 has a good tang on it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Don't you worry, I've got so much starter, I don't use baker's yeast anymore.
I dunno your schedule but levain in the AM or PM, combine 8 hours later and do the bulk in the fridge for another day to three would likely work. Tartine Bread is a good book that emphasizes finding your own workflow; using a starter and different temps of water or retarding for whatever schedule.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 22, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Whoops

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My guess is that you're overhandling the dough. Try not to deflate it during the folds and when shaping be quick and decisive.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Final rise.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tartine has mixing the other content after the first fold in a 3-4hr primary ferment.

/e- but yes, you won't want to handle the dough much post primary so you need to mix it in sometime there, before you get to the point where you have to worry about overdeflating the dough.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You may want to consider keeping it in the fridge. Feeding every four to a week works well.

My ancetdote is 60-70 and I feed every morning, Friday night with an extra feed for Saturday baking. I fridge it if I won't be able to do the next weekend bake and forget about it for 10 days or so.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

shelf them further away from the heat element, assuming a bottom heat or use a butter or egg wash to promote faster browning on top. If you have a stone that should be in there even though you don't place the pan on it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

I still can't form a loaf after a no knead first ferment. Sourdough or not. Beer, whisky, sausage, all these I can make but bread is voodoo. How do you guys keep the faith when doubt creeps in?

get drunk so you move with false bravado. Quick movements with the scraper are key.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You're doing too much after primary, let it sit for 18-24 and skip the folds, unless by folds you mean shaping.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

William Stoner posted:

So I'm following a fairly basic bread recipe using instant yeast while I wait for my sourdough starter to ferment.

I can't seem to get a good rise out of the thing.

Why is it flat? I'd say your yeast is just dead. Also recipe.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

William Stoner posted:

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/02/no-knead-english-muffin-bread/

I'm just using instant yeast packages from the store. I don't know how it would have died.

what... is that? An english muffin is a bread dough cooked in individual portions, stovetop. (you can cheat and use the oven, but again, individual portions) That recipe, unless I'm doing my math incorrectly is at 84% hydration, which it's not in the photos. Your water was probably hot which killed the yeast. If you have a thermometer don't let it get past, I think, 110 or so. But you got no rise.

/e- Also if you followed the "If you want to kneed it at the end, that's ok" you may have just knocked out all of the air gained in the likely too short rise. But I think it was the yeast.

Try this for a loaf pan: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-sandwich-bread-recipe

For a no kneed:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-noknead-bread-home-109343 use a dutch oven if you have one.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 28, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

for high hydration (and most breads in general) an autolyse period helps millions. Combine ingredients until flour is incorporated and then wait a half hour or more with it covered before you kneed for 6 minutes.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 29, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I keep my bag curled up in the closet and transport 6 qts to a smaller container for general use.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

do the 6 braid, it's super easy

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have made Peter Reinheart's :bagl: a few times with great success.

Since converting his weights is a pita (the sponge is 100% hydration and I never write down the math) my next attempt will be using these weights with the above method. Imo you need the diatastic malt powder. You are overpoofing if they are deflating at the water as well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Put a glass of water in the microwave, 1-2 minutes, use that as a proof box. Done!

I'm curious why they call for the cheese in the poolish? Is it a kneed or turn & fold method? I'm doing a cheddar jalapeno now and mixed everything in after the first turn, following an overnight poolish 1.5hr autolyse and then 30 minutes after adding salt.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you've been keeping track of your random volume measurements it's roughly a 2/1 four to water for 100%

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Minge Binge posted:

Any recommendations of spices/herbs to add to whole wheat sourdough?

olives

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can also divide the loaf to do multiple rolls or balls to fill the pan

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't grease. Bagel dough should be tacky enough to not knead it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Do you have a bowl scraper? Tacky as in when you press with your thumb or hand or w/e it'll feel hardly sticky, none should come off with your hand and it shouldn't stretch to much to follow. Covering with grocery bag or really anything else should be sufficient and for how short the rise before shaping is you could just do it on the countertop. Bagels are roughly 50% hydration so you don't need the oil as you might in a different loaf and as you've seen, the oil will also inhibit gluten formation, making it harder to do the final shapes. What's your recipe?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's how you perfect the bagel, but quite a bit can go wrong up till that point with regard to shaping and over/under proofing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you're looking for a no kneed sourdough that probably won't happen. A good sourdough loaf would involve an overnight (8 hour) levain, which is just starter, flour, and water. You can keep part of this to be your new starter. After this is when you'd adapt the recipe to be "easy" through maybe a long autolyse or retarded final rise.

/e- I don't think there's a way to not be involved in the bulk and have consistent results

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 30, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

How much starter do you keep? I only have 80g live, I'd imagine you need at least 300 for one of the 6 qt.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My starter's surface after not feeding it for a long weekend

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not that close. The photos subject is 1.7cm wide

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Not until after the holiday but it looked a bit dry and fuzzy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So when would be the best time to add them in, then? Should I do it before or after the dough has risen? Can I still use a mixer to mix them in after the dough has doubled in bulk?

Again, I've never made bread before, and I'd like to make my first loaf today or tomorrow since I'm going out of town for Christmas tomorrow night.

Don't mix after first rise unless asked for. Follow the recipe and shape the roll so it fits your loaf pan.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

After the first rise you roll the dough into a sheet, put the filling on top, roll it and put that roll into your pan. Then it rests for secondary. There is no second mixing. We may be talking past each other.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Wine bottle

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

before, it'll rise as the dough cools and warms when you take it back out. Stretching is easier at room temp.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

airtight seal would be best but likely won't matter for six hours, damp was good.