Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I tried that 80% hydration recipe, except I didn't have time to make a poolish and wait until the next day, so I modified the recipe slightly and reduced it a bit, then I kneaded it for 2 minutes in my kitchen assistant, rested 10 minutes, repeated a fwe times. So a bit of a lazy mans version of the same thing. I ended up doing some manual folding and stretching for all that.

Turned out pretty well I guess for having taken 4-5 hours total, I have always been horrible at shaping baguettes though. I think this time I made some headway but I made the baguettes too large, pretty sure that if I had made smaller ones they would have held their shape better.

The end result don't compare to the ones in the original recipe but they are a personal best for me and my fiance loved them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

axolotl farmer posted:

I put the bowl inside the oven and close the hatch. If you got an electric oven, turn on the light. Just remember this:

One click counter-clockwise: light turn on!

One click clockwise: welp,

I keep the light off, I just boil some water in the electric kettle and pour it into a pan and put that in as well, heat and moistness are created so the dough doesn't dry out either.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I thought my straight razor performed best of them all but it's not really a cooking instrument so it was just a one off test. But putting a normal blade on a chop stick gave me a nice lame, I found that spraying it with oil made it a lot easier. Also made some bread tonight, tried both a naked razor blade and the chop stick lame, which I felt worked better:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks, I did make the baguettes way too massive, I could have gotten 5 instead of 3 out of that amount of dough I think. Or if I had a bigger ovven, way longer ones.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I mostly just winged it, which I tend to do when bread baking. I went for 64% hydration with this batch and I used a combination of regular flour (mainly this), graham and durum flour. No fancy ingredients just flour, salt, water and yeast.

This batch was made from (only got this in metric, sorry):
1kg flour
640g water
3 teaspoons of salt
A random amount of yeast, I just sprinkled it into the flour with the salt.

Kneaded it in my mixer for 9 minutes and let it rise in the bowl for an hour. I often keep dough in the oven with a bowl of boiling water. Then I punched the dough down, flattened it out and cut it into pieces which I then shaped into the baguettes and other small breads. I covered the pieces in flour towards the end of the shaping but not before because I didn't want to add too much flour into the dough and it was easily to handle without extra flour. Then I let it rise another hour under cover.

I sprinkled more flour on after I removed the covers, then I scored various shapes in the bread using my lame and into the oven at 230C for 15 minutes. I tossed in a glass of water on my pizza stone just before to add steam and once again halfway through. I need to buy a spray bottle for this step. I understand you can then spritz the bread directly too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mindphlux posted:

a. how do you throw a glass of water on your pizza stone without it shattering
b. how do you transfer your shaped pieces to the stone without degassing
c. how much of a rise is there after you shape them

a. It just holds up real well, it's some cheapo :10bux: stone I got from a store called Lidl.
b. I bake on a tray, the stone I just keep in the bottom to even out the ovens heat, and to make steam.
c. Double perhaps, it was pretty significant, the small breads I make flat when shaping so they rise quite a lot.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tried some more bread baking, this time a 70% hydration dough. Tried shaping some into the typical banh mi shape.

Decided to try and make a banh mi sandwich tonight and I split one roll:

Fried up some of these chinese pork sausages along with onions and vegetables, dunno what the sausages are but they're excellent, sorta sweet tasting.

This is rather non standard I think for asian food, but I sliced up some brussel sprouts on the mandolin and sauteed them in butter with some salt & pepper.

Assemble everything, with butter on one side, mayo on the other and sprinkle roasted onions on everything.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I use finger warm water, I mix cold tap water with some boiling water from my electric kettle until it feels right, mix the salt & dry instant yeast into the flour.

Using cold water would retard the rise and require a longer time to get to the same spot, if you added more time to that then you'd get the same rise as using hot water. I just like to control for variables on this so I always try to use finger warm water.

I also like to put the dough in my oven with a pan of boiled water to keep the temp consistent and so the dough doesn't get dry skin. This apartment we're living in is also badly insulated so leaving it out tends to retard the rise.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Been trying to get some 80% hydration bread that's been kneaded in my stand mixer to turn out well (too lazy for the manual stretch and fold), not getting the kinda crumb I'm after though, I get this kinda result with 65-70% I think and that's much easier to handle. I mixed this using this kind of beater instead of the dough hook:

Later on I think I will try using the k-beater and see if that makes a difference:

Anyway the bread, kneaded it 4 times and let it rise for 40 minutes to an hour after each time, dough still got stuck a bit to the cloth despite lots of flour, but rolling down the baguette onto the baking sheet seemed to round it out more, but it might also have caused it to collapse.

Perhaps a couche is a worthwhile investment:

Scoring this dough was nearly impossible.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I made a thing to make bread on. I made flat rye bread as the first thing I made on this. But no real pics of it, turned out kinda ugly looking. Bagged it up and froze it, you can see it partly in the picture:

I dunno how much it helps contain flour spills and such with the low sides but i can use that area of the stove for kneading and such now, before I had to use the table or clear space elsewhere.

Low profile so it can be stored like this:

Still some no knead bread is next, it's just so fantastic.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's an induction stove top, so it can't even be turned on without something ferrous over it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't have anything like that, I just but it against the wall and that works real well I think.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I know some people who live in the countryside who grow grain and make flour from that.

Anyway made a boule

About 10-15% rye

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'd like to mill my own flour at some point, but I work on a farm and we have a small mill on hand. I'm also loving INSANE. But darn it, this acorn flour wont magic it's self into existence for my weird experiments.

Gorgeous. Looks like you got Pride Rock jutting out of it. Crumb shot?

Thanks, here's one I took now, I rembered I added a buncha bran to this too:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I tried making some traditional rye bread, it's not proper rye bread, only like 40% rye, then it's wheat and some bran. But this is what my grandmothers on both sides of the family made and my mom makes it, and now I am trying my hand at it.

I remember my grandmother made hers in the woodfired stove they had in the kitchen. The best part was the tiny round breads that were the leftovers from the hole punched in the middle, soo good fresh out of the oven. I only made the traditional shape on few of them, I was a bit in a hurry and made smaller mostly smaller oddly shaped bread.

Don't really have a recipe, maybe a liter of 50/50 milk and water that I added salt and yeast to, then adding flour until it seemed the right consistency, still a sticky mess. Rise for an hour after initial kneading, then after the bread it shaped it rises for another hour under cover. Only need like 10 minutes at 250C or even less.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Made some more traditional rye bread:

The holes I stamped out with a glass, they make for small rolls, they are a favorite of kids because they're just so drat good when fresh out of the oven.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I like to eat (cultured) buttermilk with musli or corn flakes, even like to drink it straight.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

tsc posted:

Having jalapeno cheese bread in 40 minutes is dangerous.

Do you have a recipe for these? Never hard of jalapeno cheese bread before and I need to know more.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tried making swedish christmas bread according to this recipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEu396ekT8c

That guy has some special bread roller that I don't have, I think I could make one though, with the right router jig. But I had to use my meat pounding hammer instead.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

blixa posted:

Huh. I make vörtbröd every year but I've never seen it flat like that, just in loaf form. I guess people from that area of Sweden make their poo poo differently than where I'm from.

Yeah it's why I was interested in trying this, looked so different to anything I had seen before. Apparently it's a Bohuslän thing according to the video.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Most 100% rye breads tends to be dense and chewy. If you google ruisleipä resepti you ought to find plenty of finnish recipes for rye bread, perhaps google translate can help to make them understandable. 100% rye breads are traditional here. I don't bake 100% ryes though, they're so plentiful in stores and difficult to bake properly I think. So I just buy something like Oululainen jälkiuunileipä, a favorite of mine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I got a Kenwood Major 10 years ago and it's still with me today and working fine, my mom also has a Kenwood from the 1970s. Though I think I made the wrong choice. It was between a Kenwood or an "Ankarsrum Assistent", though I think I will remedy this by looking for a vintage Swedish made Electrolux Assistent instead. They are really nice for breaddough kneading.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Ankarsrum, Electrolux, and a few other brands are all the same mixer, made by the same people. The original stand mixer ever made was an Ankarsrum.

While you did unfortunately make the wrong decision, vintage Kenwoods are nice too.

I was thinking of getting an old one made in the 50s or 80s and renovating it, I think they were called Electrolux back then. My Kenwood was bought new in 2008.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Oh, I like that idea a lot. Sorry if I misread your post. That would be really cool to see, and if you go through with it I'd love to read your post.

I bought a 1980s model last night for 20 euros, a fixer upper with a broken belt, but otherwise looks fine. Will open it up and go through the electronics as well as a complete disassembly and cleanup. Dough roller is worn but new ones are available.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh yeah I finished my kitchen assistent renovation, made rye bread with it this week.

Didn't take any pictures, but last time I made them they looked like this (before the oven), except this time I didn't bother with the holes, also made this batch too flat.

For the next batch I ordered some traditional tools to help consistency, these are the kinda things my grandmother would have:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Donuts are a kind of bread right?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

fknlo posted:

What's a good, large surface for working on bread dough to put on my counters? My counters are tile, so working directly on them is out.

Over here "baking tables" in wood are very popular. Usually made from birch plywood.

Beefy option:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Give the picture to a local woodworker, it's not a difficult design.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Huxley posted:

Your local woodworker (me, currently) is telling you to go buy a cheap premade cutting board and screw two pieces of project pine to form the bench hook parts, Sand them down by hand for a few minutes then rub the whole thing down with mineral oil.

Will be about $5 past the cost of whatever cutting board you use as the base.

Are there cutting boards that large you can buy? I mean they gotta be pretty large to be usable, mine is bigger than any cutting board I've seen and is too small.

I also don't oil it. Scraping the thing off usually suffices. Maybe scrub with water and soap and dry once in a while. Usually people just sweep it off with a small broom.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MrYenko posted:

Any decent plastics/acrylic shop should have at least one thickness of HDPE cutting board in stock, and will be able to cut it to what-ever dimensions or shape you want for pretty cheap. Comes in different colors, too.

I was talking about wooden cutting boards like in the picture since blixa wanted something that looked like that. If we're swapping out materials then the scenario changes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Made foccacia bread with a 80% hydration recipe. I am usually not able to get good results with these using my conventional stand mixer and dough hook, so I tried the assistent instead and I am really happy with the results, I could really see how the gluten developed and the dough changed consistency. The scraper and roller system seems good for this kind of dough.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jälkiuunileipä or after oven bread. A type of finnish 100% rye bread that was baked in the oven after all the main cooking was done and the oven was cooling off.

P.S. a local bread I like is Malaxlimpa, it's not as dense as what you linked, pretty dense though, but used for the same things as the article describes, and it's sweet so pretty calorie packed.

Fry in butter and eat with some fish-mix

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 22, 2019

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

learnincurve posted:

There is a running joke in my family that my presentation absolutely sucks but here’s a thing anyway.

British iced buns, you can cut them down the middle and pipe in cream and jam to make them dead posh like.

Makes 5.

Oven 180 f/ 160f if fan
175ml milk warmed in a pan
15g butter
250g bread flour
5g fast action yeast
1tbsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Make as if normal white bread, (it’s meant to be wetter than usual) after first rise make them into rolls. Brush with milk before they go in the oven. Bake for 30 min and allow to cool

150g icing sugar
Food colouring
1tbsp (ish) water

Make thick icing

Those remind me strongly of finnish berliners, except berliners are deep fried.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nice piece of fish posted:

Did he use any old rocks? Or lava rocks or something? Because if you do that with just rocks from your area, you might explode them. You probably want to make double sure the rocks used for this are safe.

We did that with the rocks in our sauna heater. Found a bunch of nice looking stones. I was a bit worried about them going explodey but 6 years later it's fine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've never found specific bread flour in stores here. I commonly use what is labeled "half coarse wheat flour" which is my idea of an AP flour.

There is also "special-wheat flour" often with a picture of a cake or bun on it.

Only bread specific flour I've found is this, which makes some hosed up bread with a bad taste, like they flavoured the flour or added something to it. Makes everything taste like the same kind of bread.

And I've looked at the protein contents on all of these and they all seem pretty consistent, around 13g/100g, even the cake flour which based on american food shows would have somehting like 6-8 grams. I think maybe it has to do with northern latitudes, just not possible to get low protein flour this far north.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

therattle posted:

As for it not being possible to get lower-protein flour this far north (I am guessing Finland?) there was a great BBC Food Programme episode on Scandinavian baking, and it went through the different types of flours and breads. In the warmer south they could grow wheat; farther north, rye; farther north, barley; furthest north, oats. The further north one went, the lower the gluten/protein content. I would not be surprised if the flour that you are buying was not from wheat grown in Finland, but somewhere further south.

We definitely grow wheat in Finland, I got wheat fields nearby. It's something of a big deal in Finland that we produce 80% of our own food and basically all our own grains. All the packages I listed specify Finland as the country of origin for the grain. I don't think that brand would dare try otherwise.

I've also had the opposite understanding, i.e. that the further north you go, the more protein your wheat gets and the further south the less. That was the explanation I remember as to why the high protein flours in the US were grown in the north and the low protein flours are grown in the south of the US.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

therattle posted:

That’s interesting. I can’t find anything about gluten levels relating to latitude after a cursory search.

It might just be bullshit. Maybe it's just they grew different varieties in the south and north.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Lester Shy posted:

What would happen if you took a very basic no-knead country bread recipe and put it into a loaf pan instead of plopping it onto a cookie sheet? I had pretty good results with Chef John's country recipe, but it came out a little more fat and "rustic" than I'd like.

If you have a cast iron crock pot try tossing the dough into that, when the crock pot is already warm. I get great boules that way. I take off the cover half way.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Time for another rye bread bake. This is a staple food here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Just my regular family rye bread recipe
https://i.imgur.com/1Gfx1B4.mp4