Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Man cannot live on bread alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Sorry for the scrub question, but what do you do with dough accidentally made with yeast that is basically dread?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Stringent posted:

Throw it away.

Yep, that's what I guessed. I don't think I want bad pizza right now.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I went out and got some yeast that hadn't expired 2 years ago.

That's 4/5ths strong white and 1/5th rye wholemeal because the recipe asked for wholemeal and that was the only one I'd got. It also asked for 3/4 Oz of sea or rock salt, so I gave it 14g of table, which was a big mistake. It's also a bit crunchier than I'd like, which I guess is just leaving it in the oven too long?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

My sourdough recipe sez in lieu of a banneton I can use a tea towel in a colander. After ruining 4 loaves and 1 tea towel, I don't trust them. Is it a weave issue, or what? I'm giving them a good dusting of rice flour but should I be emptying a pack into there?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Has anyone made a Russian black bread? I was looking up recipes and was surprised at the variety of things that go in them.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

Can’t you cook some of the alcohol out of the beer by boiling it a little?

Wouldn't that also kill the yeast. I think that's what the idea is, though I agree with others that water would probably do as good a job.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've started baking bread in dutch oven. It's about as wide as the bread form I use and about half a foot high. The problem being that every time I have to drop the dough into a red-hot pot from a fair height, and normally it hits the sides on the way down. Am I going about this the wrong way, or using the wrong tool entirely?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The lids got a gentle curve on it but the knob actually looks designed to work as a foot. Tests with it cold and empty show it can stand upside down. I'm sure it would be trickier to rig in practice but that's what I'll try first, then the baking paper. I'd upend it over a stone, but I don't have a stone. I'm trying to get by without buying a combo cooker as I've run out of cupboard space.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Flour has stabilized a bit for me, but I haven't seen a pack of commercial yeast for sale since this started.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Does anyone have tips on maintaining a starter? I had something I was pretty happy with, but only need to bake bread like once every ten days or so and was getting sick of feeding it every day, so I shoved it in the fridge and feed it the day before making up the dough, but it's now a lot weaker than it was.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A good way to check is to drop some into water and see if it floats. It sounds ready to me. The cheesy smell doesn't sound right, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and it probably won't kill you either way.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

My fail loaf produced something surprisingly decent after mixing in a couple grams of commercial yeast and letting it proof overnight in the fridge.

I think I got a bit hasty because I didn't want to be baking at 10pm last night and it probably could have used another hour on its second rise. It's a bit dense and didn't fill out the pan completely on the top.

How long is that loaf? It looks pretty long.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Using oat flour or just threw in some rolled oats?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I read the words "sourdough donuts" too often here so I gave it an attempt. I've never made any sort of donut before, and didn't get the oil hot enough, which is embarrassing as I was checking with a thermometer. They had a core of raw dough, but after a few moments of sulking, I just baked them for ten. So now they're edible, albeit disconcertingly crispy, and since I threw some coco powder in they look more like a plate of baked potatoes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

But is it dough?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Going to post my basic sourdough because I'm happy with how it turned out, and I've taken some advice from the thread.

I now bake them in an upside down dutch oven with a rounded lid, which is why it's got a rounded bottom. Occasionally the pot tips over and the whole thing looks like an aerofoil. I have given up on scoring.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I wouldn't bother to switch, it could hurt the starter. And I would recommend combining rye with wheat flour, yeah. You can go full rye but maybe wait until you've got a bit more confidence in your starter. Theres a reason we settled on Wheat, Rye breads tend to be dense.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've been pushing the hydration of my sourdoughs after seeing people credit it with improving their loaves. And it's worked for the most part, but I overdid it and when tipping my most recent attempt from the proving basket it spilled all across the baking tray.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

If a good bread knife can't cut a slice from a loaf of bread then surely it's the bread's problem. Also, you can just throw in a handfuls of flour until it looks less like batter.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A good tip for reducing salt content in bread is to put less salt in when you make it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've been making King Arthur Flour's recipe for hamburger buns a bit lately, they're an enriched dough with 420g of flour, 28g of butter, and 50g sugar. I can't lie they're good buns.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I cannot find khorassian anywhere on the shelves. I loved the taste and look of it but then the one shop stopped carrying it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

If the mix included yeast then yes, being frozen would impair it. Id just add a teaspoonful, or whatever it says on the back of the pack, to each batch as you make it, before adding any water.
e: you can make bread with baking soda, but it requires different methods. Yeast wants long proves, which would waste the immediate and short lived lift from soda.. Look up recipes for Irish Soda Bread.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 1, 2021

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Speaking of recipes, does anyone have a good ones for baguettes?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is dry milk anyway? Google says it’s some kind of powder? Literally never heard of powdered milk before. I did see it on a bunch of the King Arthur recipes and had no idea what it was especially cause it’s non-diary which makes even less sense.

How serious are they about the “we don’t recommend hand kneading” bit? I don’t have a stand mixer, and my hand mixer didn’t come with dough hooks.

At least in Britain, Powdered Milk is something famously awful people choked down during rationing, like Chicory Coffee. It's definitely diary though (it's just boiled down milk) so maybe it refers to something different in America. Google suggests powdered coconut milk when asked.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've never had much problems rubbing cold butter in with my fingertips. Coconut butter, on the other hand, is a pig.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

People have been throwing butter into bread for as long as they had butter to spare, and we've got a lot of butter to spare right now.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Adding salt later is fine. I mean, ideally you noticed before like the second proof, but you can knead whatever into a dough. In fact, my recipe has me adding the salt an hour after everything else as the wild yeast is too pathetic to cope with the salinity.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Keetron posted:

And why does my dough smelled of alcohol after a 14h rise?

That would be because of the alcohol. It's yeast, it eats sugar and produces booze and CO2.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

When I first started making sourdough I wasnt getting great rises but when I made an enriched dough it went hog wild, so now I stir a spoonful of honey in with the water for every loaf. The yeast seems to like it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Barbelith posted:

(not sure what the English equivalent of "Umluft" would be, the mode with the fan on)

In British English at least, it would be "fan" lol.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Not sprining back is a sign of over-proofing, iirc. I'd just bake it now, unless it's not risen at all. I'm really bad at working out the perspective, but it looks pretty good to me.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Wrong thread

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think my biggest problem with bread is definitely cutting slices where something doesn't go wrong.

Something I've learned about myself is that I will always cut bread on a slant. The last slice will be a glancing blow on the heel that will have like, 30% of the expected surface.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, I keep my starter in the fridge all the time. When I make a levan, I take a spoonful from the starter, and put back in some flour and water.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, w/ that much rye you're not going to get a lot of lift. It's a tradeoff, you gotta jiggle the percentages until you get a balance of density and rye flavour that you're happy with.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Why are we fighting over eggs

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I neglected my levain for like, 3 days after making it up. The beads still rising but I may die from ergot poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I tried to make GF pastry with a composite of suitable flowers and xantham gum and it was the most frustrating thing. You could roll it out ok, but when it came to pushing it into the molds it was like cardboard. I gave up and made like 80 mince pies out of sheer joy of things working like they should.